BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2008-03-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed
Mila, you would be proud. I called the spin instructor tonight Miss Gulch.

And she is even a school teacher. And she rides a a spin bike. And she had us doing those up 3 seconds down 3 seconds over and over.

Met a guy in the pool tonight who is a former assistant tri instructor for Team in Training.

And might finally meet El Heffe99 a BT'er on Thursday. good day.

2008-03-26 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
I don't know what the $1.79 comment was for, but since you mentioned the Goo Goo Dolls, one if the guys I run with once in a blue moon is the Drummer for the Goo's.

The lead singer is in rehab ( again!) so the other two guys are kind of sitting on their thumbs. Can't tour or record in the studio without him. Hopefully he is writing some really good songs, but not sure if he can do that sober.
2008-03-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1293911

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-03-26 12:14 AM Mila, you would be proud. I called the spin instructor tonight Miss Gulch. And she is even a school teacher. And she rides a a spin bike. And she had us doing those up 3 seconds down 3 seconds over and over. Met a guy in the pool tonight who is a former assistant tri instructor for Team in Training. And might finally meet El Heffe99 a BT'er on Thursday. good day.

Heh... I hope she got the Miss Gulch reference.  As for the jumps... no comment... suffice it to say I only do things in my spin classes that you would actually do on the road .

Sounds like a good day.  When you meet Jeff tell him I said to have a cold and empty day, just like Mila's heart.  He'll get a chuckle out of it.

2008-03-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1295677

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-03-26 4:18 PM I don't know what the $1.79 comment was for, but since you mentioned the Goo Goo Dolls, one if the guys I run with once in a blue moon is the Drummer for the Goo's. The lead singer is in rehab ( again!) so the other two guys are kind of sitting on their thumbs. Can't tour or record in the studio without him. Hopefully he is writing some really good songs, but not sure if he can do that sober.

The $1.79 comment was a reference to BT's own ADollar79 (I happen to know him in RL as well).  He recently blogged about going to his 10 year high school reunion and it dawned on me this morning that he was a senior in HS while I was birthin' that baby.

I'm a big Goo Goo Dolls fan... that's very cool... well, about the running... not so much the rehab thing!

2008-03-26 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Naw she didn't get the Miss Gulch reference. I had to explain it to her. She has a good girl/ bad girl side to her. Yesterday was bad girl side, thus the Miss Gulch quip.

But since she does teach kindergarden and rides, I figured it was an apt reference.

Mike the drummer is pretty cool. Don't think he will ever have to go to rehab, but Johnny will be going again I am sure.

Funny thing is, his sister has a Phd in Neurobiology, and teaches that subject at UCLA. Mike is pretty smart too. You would never think that someone in a band would have those kind of brains.

When you meet him at parties, talking about running is cool, but we don't talk about the band much. Think he gets enough of that from strangers.
2008-03-26 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1293279

User image

Master
Utah
gygyhawk - 2008-03-25 5:47 PM

Cashmason - 2008-03-25 4:29 PM Ironic nothing. That's guy logic! If you are looking for cheap but decent bikes here is a link to another thread http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... No Mila, I don't think they come in pink........ wink

Cool, thanks!

That's how I got my bike. I got the javelin varese. It's a pretty white. They are nice bikes, and they ship sooo fast.  

2008-03-27 2:11 AM

User image

Expert
Jeff wimped out on me again. Thats 3 times he has cancelled on me.

Either he is a flake, or he thinks I need breath mints.

Actually he is coming down with a cold. He has had good reasons every time, and I don't really think he is a flake. But I am starting to get a complex.
2008-03-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: #1296671

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Cashmason - 2008-03-27 2:11 AM Jeff wimped out on me again. Thats 3 times he has cancelled on me. Either he is a flake, or he thinks I need breath mints. Actually he is coming down with a cold. He has had good reasons every time, and I don't really think he is a flake. But I am starting to get a complex.

I know how he feels...Mila thinks I'm a flake because I put a high priority on babies and rock climbing and cheesecake and such...

2008-03-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1296857

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
sparco - 2008-03-27 8:00 AM

Cashmason - 2008-03-27 2:11 AM Jeff wimped out on me again. Thats 3 times he has cancelled on me. Either he is a flake, or he thinks I need breath mints. Actually he is coming down with a cold. He has had good reasons every time, and I don't really think he is a flake. But I am starting to get a complex.

I know how he feels...Mila thinks I'm a flake because I put a high priority on babies and rock climbing and cheesecake and such...

You also put WAY too much emphasis on work  

As for the cheescake, rock climbing  jury is out, But I know you're just dying to be daddy again    You'd only be 60 something when it graduates!!!  

2008-03-27 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1296865

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
UTTriman - 2008-03-27 8:05 AM
sparco - 2008-03-27 8:00 AM

You also put WAY too much emphasis on work  

As for the cheescake, rock climbing  jury is out, But I know you're just dying to be daddy again    You'd only be 60 something when it graduates!!!  

Yeah, but if I compete in an Ironman and climb El Capitan before we have another then it doesn't matter......(heh, having another is probably not very likely)...

Funny, yesterday I was talking to my co-workers about life accomplishment lists...I made one when I was 13 years old.  Here's how I'm doing so far:

Compete in an Ironman
Run a marathon
Climb El Capitan
Watch the Tour de France IN France
Get married
Have 5 kids
Become a doctor or CEO of a company

As you can see, I haven't crossed everything off the list.  The last 2 are no longer on my current goals list... 

Edited by sparco 2008-03-27 8:19 AM
2008-03-27 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1295864

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
mila - 2008-03-26 5:33 PM

As for the jumps... no comment... suffice it to say I only do things in my spin classes that you would actually do on the road .

I hate jumps.  I heard they serve no purpose and are bad on your back (or something).  If I get an instructor who is doing them, I just stay in the saddle.  I'm such a rebel.  LOL

2008-03-27 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1298514

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
gygyhawk - 2008-03-27 6:43 PM
mila - 2008-03-26 5:33 PM

As for the jumps... no comment... suffice it to say I only do things in my spin classes that you would actually do on the road .

I hate jumps.  I heard they serve no purpose and are bad on your back (or something).  If I get an instructor who is doing them, I just stay in the saddle.  I'm such a rebel.  LOL

That's what you should do!  When I train instructors I always tell them that if they want to know who the real cyclists are in the class they can try doing a set of jumps.  Those that stay seated are the ones!    Some instructors will argue that it's a good leg workout.  I find this interesting 'cause when I teach a hills and strength class I help people build hill climbing legs and we don't ever have to enter the "uuuupppp two, dowwwwn two" zone

The things is that a large number of indoor cycling instructors don't ride outside.  They have no idea that many of the things they do aren't really things you would do on a real road ride and so they basically end up doing aerobics on the bike.  You don't have to be a cyclist to get certified in cycle.  Many instructors have a general group fitness certification and then just take a half day training from their employer or cycle manufacturer (Schwinn or Keyser come to mind) to add a cycling cert.  THe woman that recently took over one of my classes at a gym where I used to work has never taken a cycling cert class.  EVER.  At that particular gym you only have to have a CPR cert and a promise that someday you will take a group X certification class in order to start teaching.  So basically you could have someone in there that knows little about the kinetic chain or bike set up or overtraining... scary, isn't it?

There's nothing really wrong with the party on the bike approach by the by... you are on a bike going nowhere in the dark... but for me, cycling is a mind/body kind of thing and I find these types of classes kind of jarring.  I don't have a need to hover, do push ups on the handlebars or wave a towel while yelling woooohoooo when I ride outside... thus I don't do it inside, either.

*Putting away my soapbox*.

Edited by mila 2008-03-27 8:43 PM
2008-03-27 9:23 PM

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
Off to Gulf Shores in the morning, I'll be checking in periodically.  Everyone have a great week and be safe out there! --JJC
2008-03-28 1:50 AM

User image

Expert
Glad to hear your opinion on jumps.

We have a new instructor. Today was his second day. He is doing IMAZ in a couple of weeks.

But he had us doing jumps today. WTF? I didn't even know what they were called or why we did them until I asked after the class. I guess a a lot spin class people expect them, so the instructor does them.
2008-03-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1299057

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-03-28 2:50 AM Glad to hear your opinion on jumps. We have a new instructor. Today was his second day. He is doing IMAZ in a couple of weeks. But he had us doing jumps today. WTF? I didn't even know what they were called or why we did them until I asked after the class. I guess a a lot spin class people expect them, so the instructor does them.

That's VERY true in a lot of cases (we have one brand new club where members are going out of their minds because they don't get to do hovers and lifts for an hour) and, like I said, there's really nothing wrong with them, it's just that I personally don't do anything that doesn't translate to the road.  I also happen to teach in a club that requires instructors to simulate road rides (works out great for my teaching style!) so jumps, hovers and isolations aren't technically allowed... that's not to say it doesn't happen, though.  Of course, now that there's a couple of new regional cycling coordinators that might change .

However, I am surprised that a triathlete instructor was doing "lifts" (which is the current preferred term for jumps).  If I tried to do them in my classes I'm pretty sure they would throw towels at me and complain.  Loudly.  Almost all of my participants are either triathletes or cyclists (with a few adventure racers and some cross-training marathoners thrown in for good measure!).  Sal has been to one of my classes... he can tell you they are tough customers!!

Edited by mila 2008-03-28 12:14 PM
2008-03-28 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Bah,

Put a cute girl in spandex in front of us. Then let her get hot and sweaty, and the spandex soaking wet, and we guy triathletes will do anything she says.

Lifts, Hovers, get off the bike roll over and bark like a dog... sure. We are pretty simple creatures.

2008-03-28 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Doing my first tri of the season in the a.m.  Had a pancake for a rear tire tonight, fun times - never took a maintenance clinic, but I think hubby and I figured it out - so I'll have someone give it their blessing in the morning.  My swim time is 9:24, so please send some good vibes my way. 
2008-03-28 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Good Luck JJ and Gygy!
2008-03-29 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
31.45 miles riding thru the canyon today. Garmin lap counter was full, so it didnt record the ride at all.

It kept beeping at me the whole 2 hours I was riding, but didn't have my reading glasses so could not tell what it said.

Drat.

At least the bike computer still worked. Max speed 37 miles per hour and I was pedaling as fast as I could. Think I need steeper hills or a faster bike. Can't be the engine. Naw, this time I was pedaling as fast as I could in the biggest gear, and no resistance. Chain was spinning but the wheels weren't going any faster.
2008-03-29 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Today was a day of folly.  I totally choked on the swim, just couldn't breathe - it is my goal to get this under controll - I just fall apart come race time.  The ride included wind, rain, hail, more wind (head wind), and rain.  I only had to open my mouth to hydrate, LOL.  My cycle shoes were full of water, and so were my run shoes and everything else in transition.  The run was hilly and muddy, think slip-sliding.  Oh and the temp was in the mid 40's.  Fun times!  Hubby ate it on the bike during the last mile and has some pretty road rash to commemorate his first tri.    I'll get the RR posted tomorrow.  I've got some friends coming over for beer and pizza and race talk.   
2008-03-29 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1301683

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

gygyhawk - 2008-03-29 5:25 PM Today was a day of folly.  I totally choked on the swim, just couldn't breathe - it is my goal to get this under controll - I just fall apart come race time.  The ride included wind, rain, hail, more wind (head wind), and rain.  I only had to open my mouth to hydrate, LOL.  My cycle shoes were full of water, and so were my run shoes and everything else in transition.  The run was hilly and muddy, think slip-sliding.  Oh and the temp was in the mid 40's.  Fun times!  Hubby ate it on the bike during the last mile and has some pretty road rash to commemorate his first tri.    I'll get the RR posted tomorrow.  I've got some friends coming over for beer and pizza and race talk.   

MAN!  That's what I call Folly!!! Congrats for toughing it out and gettin it done!  Kudo's to your hubby as well  -- Is he wanting to do another??

WAY TO GO!

2008-03-29 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

20 VERY interesting miles for me today.  Rained here last night as well, but it had stopped at ride time.  Bit chilly though, only low 50's.

Read all about it on my blog - I'm too pooped, tired, LAZY to type it out a second time! 

2008-03-29 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1301683

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

gygyhawk - 2008-03-29 6:25 PM Today was a day of folly.  I totally choked on the swim, just couldn't breathe - it is my goal to get this under controll - I just fall apart come race time.  The ride included wind, rain, hail, more wind (head wind), and rain.  I only had to open my mouth to hydrate, LOL.  My cycle shoes were full of water, and so were my run shoes and everything else in transition.  The run was hilly and muddy, think slip-sliding.  Oh and the temp was in the mid 40's.  Fun times!  Hubby ate it on the bike during the last mile and has some pretty road rash to commemorate his first tri.    I'll get the RR posted tomorrow.  I've got some friends coming over for beer and pizza and race talk.   

Oh my!!!  At least you've got good stories to tell... it's always nice when conditions make it "interesting" out there.  Good job toughing it out though... looking forward to that RR.

As for me, I'm wiped out.  It was a looooonnnng day of work and my kiddo's birthday party (which was AT work... so basically almost 13 hours there... except for the part where my team had a short meeting at the place that serves big pomegranate margaritas).

2008-03-29 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Gygy, you didn't totally fall apart on the swim. You finished. I have a friend who will be doing her first Ironman in a few months. Her first tri, she got about 50 yards into the lake, turned around and came back and dnf ed.

I too have a problem breathing on race day. Breathing anytime is a challenge for me in the water, but with the adrenaline, and going out way too fast on the swim often has me doing sidestroke so I can breathe. Running and biking I can control my pace but put my face in water where I can't breathe when I want too and I wind up trying to get it over with as fast as I can.
2008-03-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1301707

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
UTTriman - 2008-03-29 6:52 PM

gygyhawk - 2008-03-29 5:25 PM Today was a day of folly.  I totally choked on the swim, just couldn't breathe - it is my goal to get this under controll - I just fall apart come race time.  The ride included wind, rain, hail, more wind (head wind), and rain.  I only had to open my mouth to hydrate, LOL.  My cycle shoes were full of water, and so were my run shoes and everything else in transition.  The run was hilly and muddy, think slip-sliding.  Oh and the temp was in the mid 40's.  Fun times!  Hubby ate it on the bike during the last mile and has some pretty road rash to commemorate his first tri.    I'll get the RR posted tomorrow.  I've got some friends coming over for beer and pizza and race talk.   

MAN!  That's what I call Folly!!! Congrats for toughing it out and gettin it done!  Kudo's to your hubby as well  -- Is he wanting to do another??

WAY TO GO!

My friend and I paced each other the whole race until the first mile of the run, then she told me to go ahead, she still finished about 4-5 min. behind me.  Want to, or not, hubby is signed up for another in June.    I think he is looking forward to it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55