BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Bwahahaha--nice!  Strong work on that Erin.

Now that we know you have the technology, I'm sure we could apply that principle to many, many things.

Can you hook me up with a JT at the end of the string?

2013-10-21 9:45 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Asalzwed

JT and LF Bernie Leanin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZr_rGHdjRE

FACHME--SO AWESOME!

I have the most ridiculous crush on them--yes, both of them--and they're little baby too (bless his freaky fast little genes).

Damn.  So freakin AWESOME!

Thank you, Salty!

OMG THAT FACHING ROCKS!!!

Okay, I think we should make a video at the glitter tri of us all doing the Bernie Lean and then send it to them.  

2013-10-21 9:46 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Bwahahaha--nice!  Strong work on that Erin.

Now that we know you have the technology, I'm sure we could apply that principle to many, many things.

Can you hook me up with a JT at the end of the string?

Only if we can clone him so we can both have one.  Actually we need to clone both of them - they're entirely too freakin' hawt!  

2013-10-21 11:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I'm sorry about the wrist, JOJO ... as you know, I don't do well with down time! You have the patience of a saint and you use your time to make sure other triathletes have the best go at their lives/career/training/races ... amazing lady. SUPER LICKS and {MELON PRESS}

2013-10-22 4:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Thanks to Erin, I've found a way to get through the run at B2B.  

Sweet! That is so much better than just visualization .
2013-10-22 4:58 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Elite
Originally posted by TriAya

I'm sorry about the wrist, JOJO ... as you know, I don't do well with down time! You have the patience of a saint and you use your time to make sure other triathletes have the best go at their lives/career/training/races ... amazing lady. SUPER LICKS and {MELON PRESS}

the thought of your SUPERLICKS and MELON PRESSES - keeping me going...xx

2013-10-22 8:15 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by switch Thanks MM and Yanti MM, I honestly can't even fathom a sub 1:00/100, y or m. It makes my head hurt. Holding it for 400m? I bow to your greatness. If I quit my job and trained full time with a pro coach I don't think I could go sub 1:00. You all are freaks, and I say that with nothing but respect (and jealousy).

Are you taking off the time spent streamlining? That would mean your rate is faster than you figured, but as already stated, down't worry about it for now.

And don't count out being able to do that. Swimming can by kind of funny. I train faster than people near or who have done 1:00/100 scy in a meet, but can't figure out how they do it. Even 1:10 seemed way out of reach until very recently. Then I pull out a :32 off the wall 50 in the middle of practice and I wasn't actually tiring yet. I have no idea how to set goals in this sport. Just keep training smart and see what happens!

haha! Damn it Ben, why are you so smart? I totally didn't think about the streamline time, which is hilarious because she even mentions that in the book. Doh! Be afraid, people, I'm operating a motorized vehicle today. Ben, as usual, you help put things in perspective. All I know about swimming goals is that the gains I get in this discipline are really crack, much more so than the other two. I am really enjoying this block and will try to just enjoy it and never say never

Looks like you're getting the hang of it! Swimming was became a lot more fun when that happened for me.

Oh, not sure what's up early season next year, but Galena Tri and Arcadia's Brute are on the list of possibilities. Couldn't remember how far away they are. Info is not up for 2014 yet, but they usually end up being the same day, so can only do one. Galena has a wicked bike & run course for a sprint, draws a rather strong crowd even from the Chicago area, but also has a lot of logistics to get around because it's a bit remote and roads are limited. The Brute is one of the hilly rides I post every now and then.

You know, I need to think about my early season. I am such a cold weather pu$$y, that I can put these off.  Galena is beautiful, and it's < 3 hours for me, and I will check out the other.  I am about 98% sure that Kansas70.3 will be my first "big" race, and that's June 8th.  So i will be looking to get the early season kinks out before that.

Thanks for the heads up on those

I've done the first one of the season as a HIM before. Went ok, but probably would have been better to get a smaller one in first. Maybe any kind of short race, not necessarily tri. At least with this one, the first hill is like 5 ft past the mount line to warm you up (pic on the main site), and there are plenty more after that. The first mile of the run is the last mile of the bike in reverse, there is the half miler there. Unless they go with the revised course of this past year (heard wedding receptions caused them to change to that) where it'll be mile uphill. Getting warm should not be a problem.

That Galena course sounds challenging, which could be a good thing (I hear my trainer calling...)  Do you live close enough to drive there the day of, or do you stay some place in Galena overnight?  If so, do you have a place you recommend?

There's the Pigman Sprint (which is a team race for me) on June 1st, which is about an hour away from where I live.  What do you think about a sprint the week before an "A" race HIM?

I'm seeing my strava segments moving down on that one. I keep reminding myself I was kind of sick that day, but still don't like seeing that! I'm almost 3 hrs away as well, so drove the night before. The race actually stays just east of Galena and I come from the east, so just stayed at a cheap place on that side. I forget the name, but think it was over in Stockton.

And for Pigman, it would depend on how much of an A race this is. I know you've wanted to qualify for 70.3 champs at some point, and if you're going for it with that race I wouldn't do it. Otherwise it's more up to what you really want as far as experiences go. When this comes up, many will say that it's just a sprint and they can recover just fine in a few days, which is sort of true, but later performance still likely won't be quite as high as it would have been. Often people quote it as being an hour, but it's an hour at threshold which is quite demanding. And it's not often that it takes only an hour. I've only been there once and I usually go for the overall. Every other race was more like 70-90 minutes, and even 10-15 minutes over is substantial at this effort level. I think the ones who say "fine" either aren't pushing as much as they think or aren't in tune with themselves as they believe to see that compromised 2nd performance. I could race a 70.3 well a week after, but I'd know it wasn't a truly optimal performance. If by "team" you mean more of a relay, then maybe if the split you're running works well as a workout you would have done then anyway, but do think about it first.

2013-10-22 8:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
MBC MIA <-- computer at home isn't working and I'm FRUSTRATED. I'll figure out what's causing it but for now I'm banging my head against the desk while I troubleshoot.

grumble.
2013-10-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner 2:10:XX Headed for a bday lunch with DS2. More later

Awesome job, TJ!!!!

2013-10-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

PSA - BT memberships half off.  This offer includes renewals.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Membership/

Janyne, what do you find to be the value of the membership? I am currently on the freebie plan and am considering a GPS enabled watch (not sure if it will be Garmin, Timex or Polar).  I believe that is covered anyway, so I'm trying to figure out the value of a paid membership. I am not currently on a training plan, nor do I intend to do any long course in the near future, which is where I think a more detailed plan would be beneficial.

I'm in a quandary, any input is appreciated.

2013-10-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner 2:10:XX Headed for a bday lunch with DS2. More later

Awesome job, TJ!!!!

Thanks. Still working through mixed emotions and the physical effects.Here's a pic of DS2 while he was still having fun. Not sure how well it'll show.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (13KB - 9 downloads)

2013-10-22 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

JT and LF Bernie Leanin' :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZr_rGHdjRE

FACHME--SO AWESOME!

I have the most ridiculous crush on them--yes, both of them--and they're little baby too (bless his freaky fast little genes).

Damn.  So freakin AWESOME!

Thank you, Salty!

OMG THAT FACHING ROCKS!!!

Okay, I think we should make a video at the glitter tri of us all doing the Bernie Lean and then send it to them.  

I will absolutely Bernie Lean at the Glitter Tri and we can totally send it to them, with some toned-down not-too-stalky-cray-cray language that shows our complete adoration.

2013-10-22 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So, all you Jesse and Lauren stalkers check out this page on occasion, right?

2013-10-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch Thanks MM and Yanti :) MM, I honestly can't even fathom a sub 1:00/100, y or m. It makes my head hurt. Holding it for 400m? I bow to your greatness. If I quit my job and trained full time with a pro coach I don't think I could go sub 1:00. You all are freaks, and I say that with nothing but respect (and jealousy).

Are you taking off the time spent streamlining? That would mean your rate is faster than you figured, but as already stated, down't worry about it for now.

And don't count out being able to do that. Swimming can by kind of funny. I train faster than people near or who have done 1:00/100 scy in a meet, but can't figure out how they do it. Even 1:10 seemed way out of reach until very recently. Then I pull out a :32 off the wall 50 in the middle of practice and I wasn't actually tiring yet. I have no idea how to set goals in this sport. Just keep training smart and see what happens!

haha! Damn it Ben, why are you so smart? :) I totally didn't think about the streamline time, which is hilarious because she even mentions that in the book. Doh! Be afraid, people, I'm operating a motorized vehicle today. Ben, as usual, you help put things in perspective. All I know about swimming goals is that the gains I get in this discipline are really crack, much more so than the other two. I am really enjoying this block and will try to just enjoy it and never say never :)

Looks like you're getting the hang of it! Swimming was became a lot more fun when that happened for me.

Oh, not sure what's up early season next year, but Galena Tri and Arcadia's Brute are on the list of possibilities. Couldn't remember how far away they are. Info is not up for 2014 yet, but they usually end up being the same day, so can only do one. Galena has a wicked bike & run course for a sprint, draws a rather strong crowd even from the Chicago area, but also has a lot of logistics to get around because it's a bit remote and roads are limited. The Brute is one of the hilly rides I post every now and then.

You know, I need to think about my early season. I am such a cold weather pu$$y, that I can put these off.  Galena is beautiful, and it's < 3 hours for me, and I will check out the other.  I am about 98% sure that Kansas70.3 will be my first "big" race, and that's June 8th.  So i will be looking to get the early season kinks out before that.

Thanks for the heads up on those :)

I've done the first one of the season as a HIM before. Went ok, but probably would have been better to get a smaller one in first. Maybe any kind of short race, not necessarily tri. At least with this one, the first hill is like 5 ft past the mount line to warm you up (pic on the main site), and there are plenty more after that. The first mile of the run is the last mile of the bike in reverse, there is the half miler there. Unless they go with the revised course of this past year (heard wedding receptions caused them to change to that) where it'll be mile uphill. Getting warm should not be a problem.

That Galena course sounds challenging, which could be a good thing (I hear my trainer calling...)  Do you live close enough to drive there the day of, or do you stay some place in Galena overnight?  If so, do you have a place you recommend?

There's the Pigman Sprint (which is a team race for me) on June 1st, which is about an hour away from where I live.  What do you think about a sprint the week before an "A" race HIM?

I'm seeing my strava segments moving down on that one. I keep reminding myself I was kind of sick that day, but still don't like seeing that! I'm almost 3 hrs away as well, so drove the night before. The race actually stays just east of Galena and I come from the east, so just stayed at a cheap place on that side. I forget the name, but think it was over in Stockton.

And for Pigman, it would depend on how much of an A race this is. I know you've wanted to qualify for 70.3 champs at some point, and if you're going for it with that race I wouldn't do it. Otherwise it's more up to what you really want as far as experiences go. When this comes up, many will say that it's just a sprint and they can recover just fine in a few days, which is sort of true, but later performance still likely won't be quite as high as it would have been. Often people quote it as being an hour, but it's an hour at threshold which is quite demanding. And it's not often that it takes only an hour. I've only been there once and I usually go for the overall. Every other race was more like 70-90 minutes, and even 10-15 minutes over is substantial at this effort level. I think the ones who say "fine" either aren't pushing as much as they think or aren't in tune with themselves as they believe to see that compromised 2nd performance. I could race a 70.3 well a week after, but I'd know it wasn't a truly optimal performance. If by "team" you mean more of a relay, then maybe if the split you're running works well as a workout you would have done then anyway, but do think about it first.

You're right, for me Pigman would be around an hour and fifteen minutes, and I would be going all out. So maybe not.

It's a "team race" because the local tri team I'm on picks a handful of races as "team" races and gets us discounts for mass entry and we try to sweep the podiums and team points, if the race has them.  We have some really fast people on our team, especially women, so we tend to do pretty well across the board if we show up in force.  A woman who did 2:12 at AGN is on our team--CRAZY FAST.

Maybe I should do the Galena thing for my early race.  You better go get those Strava's Ben...

2013-10-22 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Awesome job, TJ!!!!

Thanks. Still working through mixed emotions and the physical effects.Here's a pic of DS2 while he was still having fun. Not sure how well it'll show.

I heard there was snow and saw that you all were cold at times. How bad were the temps?

2013-10-22 10:57 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

THANK YOU CHRIS!

He is, quite possibly, the most photogenic man on the planet.

2013-10-22 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awesome job, TJ!!!!

I heard there was snow and saw that you all were cold at times. How bad were the temps?

The temps were perfect for running, not so much for standing around before and after.
2013-10-22 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

THANK YOU CHRIS!

You're welcome, but I thought I held that title

2013-10-22 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

PSA - BT memberships half off.  This offer includes renewals.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Membership/

Janyne, what do you find to be the value of the membership? I am currently on the freebie plan and am considering a GPS enabled watch (not sure if it will be Garmin, Timex or Polar).  I believe that is covered anyway, so I'm trying to figure out the value of a paid membership. I am not currently on a training plan, nor do I intend to do any long course in the near future, which is where I think a more detailed plan would be beneficial.

I'm in a quandary, any input is appreciated.

I like the training plans and features such as the daily email notification. I also like supporting the site. I DO NOT like the fact that members now see ads.ETA and I still can't post at work!

Edited by rrrunner 2013-10-22 11:04 AM
2013-10-22 11:10 AM

User image

Seattle

THANK YOU CHRIS!

He's in desperate need of some manscaping.

But I suppose my opinion doesn't really count

2013-10-22 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

THANK YOU CHRIS!

You're welcome, but I thought I held that title ;)

You only hint to the existence of such photos.  If you actually produce said photos we may be able to have a "pic-off".

2013-10-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

THANK YOU CHRIS!

But I suppose my opinion doesn't really count :)

He's a hairy dude, fo sho.  Maybe LF is all about that?

Grrrrr, baby.

BTW, I've watched them Bernie Lean an embarrassing amount of times now.

2013-10-22 11:18 AM

User image

Seattle

THANK YOU CHRIS!

But I suppose my opinion doesn't really count

He's a hairy dude, fo sho.  Maybe LF is all about that?

Grrrrr, baby.

BTW, I've watched them Bernie Lean an embarrassing amount of times now.

Welp, there goes my chances!

Perhaps I should do a no shave November and I'll be all set for Nationals in December. Bend, here I come!

2013-10-22 11:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Awesome job, TJ!!!!

Mixed emotions: yuck and yum.

DS2: PURE YUM.

2013-10-22 11:39 AM

User image

Melon Presser

THANK YOU CHRIS!

Just thought I'd throw in that Shiggy is a good friend of mine and I took him to his very first triathlon social/meeting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440