BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2133683

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
BigReub - 2009-05-06 9:52 AM Janet and Tony, that's what I was thinking.  a 5k is of no concern so I will simply over-run, but will include more speedwork this time (as opposed to basically zero last time).

John, were you visualizing racing in order to get over the pain of the music.  I couldn't handle it.  I'd have to sneak in my mp3. 
And is Yo Yo Ma really that much better than say...my friend Nicci from high school.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference.

Nice gift though. My wife would love something like that so if she reads this I'm going to have to hunt you down...

damn i should have seen this coming....   i should have brought a camera and taken pics of all the tata's in low cut dresses.

2009-05-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2133686

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
cadmus - 2009-05-06 10:53 AM

Karen:  I'm a fan of almond and cashew butters - still eat more PB than either of those, but they are another option and do taste different.

Tracy: Sounds like quite the day you have planned.  Be careful not to over do it, I'd hate to hear you pulled something reaching for the Oreos - keep 'em close.

So I'm thinking - gosh I can't believe I'm about to type this, about adding the Portland Marathon to my schedule for this year.  I've always said a marathon does not interest me, so what the heck changed???????   I'm a little conflicted about not being able to do the Bellingham Bay half-marathon again to see how much I can improve over last year.  I know where I went wrong in my training and think I could have run that one about 25 sec/mile faster - which is big and I'd like to prove that I can do it.  And what's weird is the marathon distance at the Bellingham Bay does not appeal to me at all.

Let's put it to a vote - Bellingham Bay half w/ goal of improving time or Portland Marathon.  They are a week apart, so doing both is not an option (I'm not Steve

I'm not seeing your reasons for wanting to do the marathon?  You said the distance doesn't interest you and you want to reevaluate you run from last year, so the choose seems clear to me.  Do the half.   
2009-05-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2133762

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-05-06 10:13 AM

Karen:  I'm a fan of almond and cashew butters - still eat more PB than either of those, but they are another option and do taste different.

Tracy: Sounds like quite the day you have planned.  Be careful not to over do it, I'd hate to hear you pulled something reaching for the Oreos - keep 'em close.

So I'm thinking - gosh I can't believe I'm about to type this, about adding the Portland Marathon to my schedule for this year.  I've always said a marathon does not interest me, so what the heck changed???????   I'm a little conflicted about not being able to do the Bellingham Bay half-marathon again to see how much I can improve over last year.  I know where I went wrong in my training and think I could have run that one about 25 sec/mile faster - which is big and I'd like to prove that I can do it.  And what's weird is the marathon distance at the Bellingham Bay does not appeal to me at all.

Let's put it to a vote - Bellingham Bay half w/ goal of improving time or Portland Marathon.  They are a week apart, so doing both is not an option (I'm not Steve

I'm not seeing your reasons for wanting to do the marathon?  You said the distance doesn't interest you and you want to reevaluate you run from last year, so the choose seems clear to me.  Do the half.   

X2
2009-05-06 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2133712

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-06 11:02 AM

damn i should have seen this coming....   i should have brought a camera and taken pics of all the tata's in low cut dresses.

Yes, you should have.  And you should be smacked for not even considering before hand.
2009-05-06 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN

- Bellingham Bay half w/ goal of improving time or Portland Marathon.  They are a week apart, so doing both is not an option (I'm not Steve

I agree.  Go with the half.  No appeal = lack of motivation = difficult training.
2009-05-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2133846

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-05-06 9:34 AM

- Bellingham Bay half w/ goal of improving time or Portland Marathon.  They are a week apart, so doing both is not an option (I'm not Steve

I agree.  Go with the half.  No appeal = lack of motivation = difficult training.

ditto,ditto,ditto

2009-05-06 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

HTFU and do both you whimp Wink
2009-05-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2133603

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-06 10:31 AM Good news, bad news morning......
1st the good:
Tracy, I bought the Finis hand paddles like you had mentioned. What a difference they make!! I used them for a few lengths and then swam some lengths after, I really noticed a difference in my catch and pull.

and now THE BAD: I tweaked something in back last week, but popped a few ROBAX Platinum on the 1st day and all was good. Last night, I felt it again at baseball. One of the guys on my team told me he's had back surgery ,etc,etc,etc. What he thinks it is, is my sciatic nerve. He was showing me some stretches after and it seemed to loosen it up.. Anybody have issues with this? What i've noticed is that I can swim,ride,run and all that stuff, but man trying to bend over and tie my shoes hurts. Frustrating. I don't think it'll cause any issues this weekend, but it's weird.

My wife had a problem with the ciatic nerve and eneded up going to a chiro.  She went to a few sessions and hasn't had a problem with it since.  I'll ask her what the deal was on how he fixed it.
2009-05-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2133877

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-05-06 9:39 AM
1st the good:
Tracy, I bought the Finis hand paddles like you had mentioned. What a difference they make!! I used them for a few lengths and then swam some lengths after, I really noticed a difference in my catch and pull.

and now THE BAD: I tweaked something in back last week, but popped a few ROBAX Platinum on the 1st day and all was good. Last night, I felt it again at baseball. One of the guys on my team told me he's had back surgery ,etc,etc,etc. What he thinks it is, is my sciatic nerve. He was showing me some stretches after and it seemed to loosen it up.. Anybody have issues with this? What i've noticed is that I can swim,ride,run and all that stuff, but man trying to bend over and tie my shoes hurts. Frustrating. I don't think it'll cause any issues this weekend, but it's weird.

My wife had a problem with the ciatic nerve and eneded up going to a chiro.  She went to a few sessions and hasn't had a problem with it since.  I'll ask her what the deal was on how he fixed it.

I've been reading about it today, and watching some videos...Sound like alot of stretching. I'm not sold on the Chiro's. Those guys freak me out. But, at the same time, if it works...
2009-05-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2133891

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-06 11:43 AM
dalessit - 2009-05-06 9:39 AM
1st the good:

I've been reading about it today, and watching some videos...Sound like alot of stretching. I'm not sold on the Chiro's. Those guys freak me out. But, at the same time, if it works...

No back cracking involved, I believe it was massage, painful like deep tissue but got rid of the pain.
in reply to: #2133900

User image

Champion
And like Tracy I am at home today.  Off to run some errands.

in reply to: #2133791

User image

Expert
B'ham

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-06 8:19 AM

X2

Sorry that wasn't clear - the marathon appeals to me, just not the 26.2 at Bellingham Bay because I know the course and it doesn't seem like fun the way it's set up.  <handing out new ballots>

2009-05-06 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2133903

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
cadmus - 2009-05-06 9:45 AM

X2

Sorry that wasn't clear - the marathon appeals to me, just not the 26.2 at Bellingham Bay because I know the course and it doesn't seem like fun the way it's set up. 

I'm sticking with my answer --do the half. I don't believe you should do a race that your not into.  That being said, if there is a marathon out there that appeals to you, do it!! and the half!
2009-05-06 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2134057

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-05-06 11:30 AM
cadmus - 2009-05-06 9:45 AM

X2

Sorry that wasn't clear - the marathon appeals to me, just not the 26.2 at Bellingham Bay because I know the course and it doesn't seem like fun the way it's set up. 

I'm sticking with my answer --do the half. I don't believe you should do a race that your not into.  That being said, if there is a marathon out there that appeals to you, do it!! and the half!

X2
2009-05-06 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Stanely 1st off... Congrats!  That is nice, and your splits are wicked fast for stretching your distance out!  Great job!

Reuben/Janet- Sounds like you guys are on the right track!  Do your "normal" workouts, but be sure to get your long runs in for training for the 1/2...

Tracy/Tony- We don't want to hear from you guys anymore today.  Enjoy your day off!  Leave us "workers" alone !

Karen- Try HONEY!!! It is a great substitute!  (believe me I have all the answers to food questions I LOVE FOOD!)

Matt--- Here is my honest opnion... Do the full marathon.  I have done a couple marathon's and in your training you will be doing several runs over 13 miles.  You live in Bellingham.  Run the course in one of your early training runs.  Just because the 1/2 marathon is sanctioned doesn't mean that is the only time you can run the course.  You know the area well enough to do it on your own.... 

Last night I absolutely had my A$$ handed to me!  We did a 10+ mile trail run w/ over 4000 feet of climbing and I had to do everything in my power to hang on the back of the group!  The only nice thing was that when we were done I felt great, and the boys up front were spent... The tortoise and the hare baby!! But it was a great night, an awesome run, and next time it will be easier! I HOPE!

2009-05-06 1:46 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Since you've re-opened the ballots, and with your new explanation I have to go with Steve.

You want the distance - the course is simply the challenge.
Do the full.

2009-05-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2133903

User image

Elite
san francisco

cadmus - 2009-05-06 8:45 AM

X2

Matt, sorry if I have forgotten, but wasn't it you that had those IT band issues?  If so, mary training can be alot harder on you than half training.  Especially if you add in serious speedwork to knock off those 25sec/ mile.  Just MHO.  You know your body best...good luck with the decision.

edited to say that it wasn't you with the IT thing, it was cbarnes...dang, the memory starts to go in the 40's...just do the marathon then!!!!   sorry about that.

Edited by kt65 2009-05-06 2:53 PM
2009-05-06 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
No this is not my pulse rate, also it felt like it was this high last night... It was my elevations from my run...
Elevation ChangeTotal (ft)
Total Elevation9,195
Elevation Gain4,575
Elevation Loss4,621
Net Elevation Change-46

Vertical SpeedAverage ( ft/min)Maximum (ft/min)
Ascent41.8757.0
Descent-42.2-449.4

GradeAverage (%)Maximum (%)
Overall Grade0.1--
Ascent Grade22.852.6
Descent Grade-16.7-75.7
Relevant Data
Start Elevation (ft):1,109
Finish Elevation (ft):1,063
Min. Elevation (ft):699
Max. Elevation (ft):1,489
Elevation Source:GPS Unit Elevation
Tune-Up Options...

Edited by swbkrun 2009-05-06 3:11 PM

(trail.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trail.jpg (12KB - 6 downloads)
2009-05-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2134731

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

That is way cool.  Being the techno geek I am I have to know what device you use to get the sort of info...

2009-05-06 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2134679

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kt65 - 2009-05-06 2:49 PM

cadmus - 2009-05-06 8:45 AM

X2

Matt, sorry if I have forgotten, but wasn't it you that had those IT band issues?  If so, mary training can be alot harder on you than half training.  Especially if you add in serious speedwork to knock off those 25sec/ mile.  Just MHO.  You know your body best...good luck with the decision.

edited to say that it wasn't you with the IT thing, it was cbarnes...dang, the memory starts to go in the 40's...just do the marathon then!!!!   sorry about that.

I think I am unqualified to share an opinion, as I still struggle with a mile or two.  That being said...  If a marathon is one of your "big" goals, then I would work towards that...

-Andy

2009-05-06 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2134131

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-05-06 11:52 AM Stanely 1st off... Congrats!  That is nice, and your splits are wicked fast for stretching your distance out!  Great job!

Reuben/Janet- Sounds like you guys are on the right track!  Do your "normal" workouts, but be sure to get your long runs in for training for the 1/2...

Tracy/Tony- We don't want to hear from you guys anymore today.  Enjoy your day off!  Leave us "workers" alone !

Karen- Try HONEY!!! It is a great substitute!  (believe me I have all the answers to food questions I LOVE FOOD!)

Matt--- Here is my honest opnion... Do the full marathon.  I have done a couple marathon's and in your training you will be doing several runs over 13 miles.  You live in Bellingham.  Run the course in one of your early training runs.  Just because the 1/2 marathon is sanctioned doesn't mean that is the only time you can run the course.  You know the area well enough to do it on your own.... 

Last night I absolutely had my A$$ handed to me!  We did a 10+ mile trail run w/ over 4000 feet of climbing and I had to do everything in my power to hang on the back of the group!  The only nice thing was that when we were done I felt great, and the boys up front were spent... The tortoise and the hare baby!! But it was a great night, an awesome run, and next time it will be easier! I HOPE!

Hey Matt--if the Portland marathon sounds like fun just train and do it!  The Bellingham half will be there next year.  I would suggest finding another half to slot into your training program and that will give you the PR you are looking for.

Karen--Almond butter is so much better for you than peanut butter, even the natural variety and tastes pretty good to me. I do think it is a bit of an acquired taste, but give it a whirl.

Steve--the run looks a little more than challenging, but that is kind of your M.O.anyway.  Nice job finishing it even if you brought up the rear.

Trevor--if you have any back issues, take heed.  Sciatica can be nasty if not treated early.  I know some who have benefitted from chiro work while others have used PTs.  Either way, take it easy.

I had my first CT bike work-out from my new coach and I definitely had my a@# handed to me.  I am taking the turtle slow speed in stride.  I figure it can only make me stronger.  Starting OWS on Monday.  According to my swimming guru it was 50F last night and quite comfortable.  Is anybody buying that?

Suzy

2009-05-06 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2134881

User image

Pro
ashort33 - 2009-05-06 2:02 PM

That is way cool.  Being the techno geek I am I have to know what device you use to get the sort of info...

I use the Garmin 305, and the software to upload all the info is from www.motionbased.com

It is really cool!
2009-05-06 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2135036

User image

Expert
B'ham

Suzy - I don't think 50*F is comfortable for swimming, doesn't matter if you're talking about the water or the air.

I think I'm going for the marathon.  I've spent a good chunk of my day looking at training plans and this is doable.  I may even have talked my SIL that lives in Portland into doing it - though the half might be better for her since she's new to running (weeks, not the months that I have )

Trevor - Last year right before my half I was having a hip issue that was puting pressure on a nerve, giving me leg pain and tingling.  I went to an acupuncturist - stop lauging, one 20 min  treatment and I ran the half marathon 3 or 4 days later and have been pain free since (at least in my hip). 

2009-05-06 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Crikee - this board moves fast!  Just got back from Kauai and I'm behind almost 20 pages.

Anywhooo... actually got my butt in the ocean and tried to deal with the shark issue. It didn't help that we went fishing the day before and got a barracuda. Nice...    Still, I got in the ocean, which I haven't done  in far too many years.

Also realized how addicted I've gotten to training.  I was itching to get on a bike the whole time I was there. Turns out there was sprint Tri there on Saturday. Defintely adding it to my list of goals for 2010.

OK, back to catching up on posts - just wanted to say HI and that I missed you all and your insipiration!

Edited by KauaiShan 2009-05-06 6:05 PM
2009-05-06 6:31 PM

User image

Pro
Welcome home... I am glad you did lose any toes, or fingers in the ocean...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383