BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3468612

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-27 9:57 AM
badgerintx - 2011-04-27 9:42 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 6:07 AM

It's drawing near!!  No, not the ROYAL WEDDING Tongue out.....but another weekend of racing!  I know of at least one gent in this group doing a killer half, but what about the rest of you?

If you're not racing, let's talk about OWS....what do you do to prepare yourself for the plunge? rituals each time that help you keep calm? or swim like the devil (e.g.our 1 hr IM swimmers--Linda/Kyla!)

No racing for me.  Good luck to all our Racers.  REPRESENT!!!

Off to D.C. Friday afternoon for a couple of days.  It is really messing up the Bike workout schedule for the weekend, but I am looking forward to the trip.  Maybe I'll get some time to see Tony & Sam?

And I call BS on all these OWS rituals.  Not one person has admitted that part of the ritual is the "warming of the wetsuit?"  Liars!

P.S. Trevor, your Calgary Flames give me stomach issues also!  Oh, thats right, they already traded in their hockey sticks for golf clubs!  Foot in mouth  

I can't honestly say I have NEVER peed in my wetsuit.

I've also only peed on my bike when it fell over when I was trying to hold it up and pee at the same time!  Kiss

Fixed your comments so they applied to me!!

2011-04-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3469398

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
dalessit - 2011-04-27 2:20 PM
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-27 1:38 PM
dalessit - 2011-04-27 1:06 PM
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-27 12:47 PM
dalessit - 2011-04-27 12:22 PM

guys having problems with getting the wetsuit off, Tracy said the same thing a couple weeks ago.  Is it getting stuck on your heels? 

Yep.  Stuck, then wouldn't budge.  And there was an obscene amt of Body glide.

Any ideas, hints, suggestions...anything??? 

?

I need to go home and do it so I can explain it better but I'll try here.

When you get out of the water start stripping then, by transition it should be at your waist.  When you get to your spot, pull down as far as you can, then step near one foot with the other, stepping on your wetsuit, then pull your foot up and out.  It seems like stepping on your suit would cause it to rip or tear but I haven't had any problems with this method yet, other than sometimes when I jerk my leg up and out I have had my calf tighten up a bit.

But doing this my foot just pops out of the suit, rinse and repeat for the other foot.

Does that make sense?

And John I see your point as well.  I've done olympics where it's been right on the line and I still wore my suit and I didn't feel like I was over heating but it was warm, but at IM distance I could see where that could be a real issue.

I also agree if you can't swim the distance sans wetsuit you shouldn't do it.  Now I am pretty confident that I can swim whatever distance with/without a wetsuit but I probably wouldn't do an IM that had a chance of not being wetsuit legal, just cause it's so much slower for me without. 

What Tony describes is pretty much what I do.  The only time I had a problem was when my timing chip was out side my suit and the suit struggled to get over it.  If the suit gets stuck at the heel, I stick my thumb down between the suit and my heel and pry it over.  Slows you down a bit but not too much.

2011-04-27 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3469380

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2011-04-27 11:10 AM

Despite some race results to the contrary, I've always considered myself a swimmer.  I don't really like OWS, but it doesn't bug me.  CdA really brought it home....panic can hit anyone.  Got to admit, my swim there has been on my mind for 10 months.  I would never swim with just one other person OWS, yet I REALLY need to get some OW practice in. 

AFTER Big Sur.......

So if you don't mind that i am waaaaay slower than you, i will drive all the way down your way if you can show me some water above 65F!    And I will bring peasant pies and wine (or donuts if you prefer!)

btw, i am trying to decide between silicon valley intl oly on June 12 vs. sacramento June 5th....is Lake almaden still Duck Poop lake? 

2011-04-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3469398

User image

Champion
marietta

guys having problems with getting the wetsuit off, Tracy said the same thing a couple weeks ago.  Is it getting stuck on your heels? 

?

When you get out of the water start stripping then, by transition it should be at your waist.  When you get to your spot, pull down as far as you can, then step near one foot with the other, stepping on your wetsuit, then pull your foot up and out.  It seems like stepping on your suit would cause it to rip or tear but I haven't had any problems with this method yet, other than sometimes when I jerk my leg up and out I have had my calf tighten up a bit.

But doing this my foot just pops out of the suit, rinse and repeat for the other foot.

Does that make sense?

And John I see your point as well.  I've done olympics where it's been right on the line and I still wore my suit and I didn't feel like I was over heating but it was warm, but at IM distance I could see where that could be a real issue.

I also agree if you can't swim the distance sans wetsuit you shouldn't do it.  Now I am pretty confident that I can swim whatever distance with/without a wetsuit but I probably wouldn't do an IM that had a chance of not being wetsuit legal, just cause it's so much slower for me without. 

i saw you terp'd that post and was gonna rely.  but i got distracted by something.  came back a few minutes later and you fixed it.  so i went back on the three tabs open in FF.  i found where i was replying to you but since you already edited it i couldn't post.  luckily there's the snippet tool!   so.....  GOTCHA!!!!!!   YOU"R PET PEEVE!!!!!  HA!!!!! 

lol.

2011-04-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3469467

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-27 2:45 PM

?

Does that make sense?

i saw you terp'd that post and was gonna rely.  but i got distracted by something.  came back a few minutes later and you fixed it.  so i went back on the three tabs open in FF.  i found where i was replying to you but since you already edited it i couldn't post.  luckily there's the snippet tool!   so.....  GOTCHA!!!!!!   YOU"R PET PEEVE!!!!!  HA!!!!! 

lol.

haha yeah that one got me, I miscounted how many close quote tags there were.

ROFL on Terp'd it.

2011-04-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3469489

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2011-04-27 11:50 AM

?

Does that make sense?

lol.

ROFL on Terp'd it.

Is it just me or is anyone else confused?  west coaster's miss all the fun.  ignorance is sometimes bliss.

2011-04-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Maryland
Confused here : )
2011-04-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3469132

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-27 11:47 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 11:45 AM

And as for not wearing a wetsuit.  TBH I can't see any reason not to swim with one if they are allowed, unless you are a really great swimmer and it would slow you down.  For the rest of us it will just make you faster, so why not use one.  I usually do 2-3 races a year that are too warm for wetsuits.  It's not really a problem if you can do the distance.  Though the one thing I did notice is I got banged up more in the non-wetsuit swims then I did in the wetsuit legal ones for some reason.

It's a balance....what is gained vs what is lost.  My T1 time last weekend was 6:01 Frown - most of that time was getting my wetsuit off.  I was not 6 minutes faster on the swim due to the wetsuit.  I obviously need to spend some of my swim training time practicing wetsuit removal. 

It really scares me if someone can only make the swim with the wetsuit on.....IMO that is too risky. 

I am the Queen (yes Fatty!) of slow T1s.  I have solved the wetsuit over the foot issue....cut the leg shorter and on an angle.  It opens up the hole more and slides off much easier....I also use Tri Swim's silicone stuff on my parts....that too works.

2011-04-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3469517

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-04-27 3:02 PM

?

Does that make sense?

lol.

ROFL on Terp'd it.

Is it just me or is anyone else confused?  west coaster's miss all the fun.  ignorance is sometimes bliss.

tony always said that not closing quotes is a pet peeve of his.....  like i'm doing in this reply ;-)  see the long line on the left side that extends into my post....   i happened to be looking at the post of his above, noticed he did it and tried to reply but he edited it before i could.  but i still got the screen shot by hitting the back button in my browser and seeing it.  

linda (terps),  NEVER closes her quotes.  so, tony terp'd it.   ha!

2011-04-27 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3469684

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Boo

Edited by gdale 2011-04-27 3:23 PM
2011-04-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3469741

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
gdale - 2011-04-27 4:18 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-27 3:58 PM
kt65 - 2011-04-27 3:02 PM

?

Does that make sense?

lol.

ROFL on Terp'd it.

tony always said that not closing quotes is a pet peeve of his.....  like i'm doing in this reply ;-)  see the long line on the left side that extends into my post....   i happened to be looking at the post of his above, noticed he did it and tried to reply but he edited it before i could.  but i still got the screen shot by hitting the back button in my browser and seeing it.  

linda (terps),  NEVER closes her quotes.  so, tony terp'd it.   ha!

Ha!  That is awesome.  I love adding new verbs to my vocabulary.

Edited by gdale 2011-04-27 3:22 PM

2011-04-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3468546

User image

Veteran
velcromom - 2011-04-27 8:35 AM

Big Sur Marathon in 4 days....and 12 minutes, but who's counting?!?

Enjoying the taper, for the most part, and getting to lots of little chores I've been avoiding by training!  We're heading up to Big Sur on Friday, without the kids, so I'm really looking forward to the mini-vacation part of it all, too.

Weather looks to be PERFECT.  High of 62, low of 51, Sunny, winds of only 8mph.   Really hoping weather.com has it right this time!!!

A few members of my Tri club are flying down from brooklyn to run Big Sur

2011-04-27 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion
marietta

funny how a number can make your stomach feel a little weird. 

ironman texas bib number 1235.     

2011-04-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3469778

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-27 1:32 PM

THAT is AWESOME!!!  Makes it feel just a little bit more real...woo hoo!

thank you for explaining "terp-ing it"

2011-04-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3469786

User image

Master

Must've been some good coffee this moring... everyone is a bit chatty!!

Let's see... no racing. I pee in my wetsuit regularly (when scuba diving, too!). Always get in the water pre-race and do a bit of warm-up. Takes my arms about 500 yards to feel normal. If I'm in a later wave I try to time the w/u so I can just wait in the lake and not get out. Have raced w/o wetsuit when temps are warm and swim is short. Makes for a fast and fun T1, and you also feel like a bad-@## pre-race, which is always nice.

LINDA: Think 4-year-old taking off her tights when you remove wetsuit. Stomp on each leg to pull your feet out. Practice. It gets easier. EVERY TIME you finish an OWS, strip the wetsuit as fast as you can. Every time.

And if anyone is wondering, you CAN get from Seattle to NYC without any ID. My husband did it this morning. Left on a biz trip and left his wallet on his desk. Oooops. Off to Fed-Ex said items to him so he can come home again.

GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swim like a shark, ride like you stole it, and run like the wind!!!

2011-04-27 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Does that mean you'll try to get to the finish at 12:35:xx? That would totally be cool. :-P

2011-04-27 4:02 PM

User image

Master

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!

2011-04-27 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3469839

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2011-04-27 4:57 PM

Must've been some good coffee this moring... everyone is a bit chatty!!

Let's see... no racing. I pee in my wetsuit regularly (when scuba diving, too!). Always get in the water pre-race and do a bit of warm-up. Takes my arms about 500 yards to feel normal. If I'm in a later wave I try to time the w/u so I can just wait in the lake and not get out. Have raced w/o wetsuit when temps are warm and swim is short. Makes for a fast and fun T1, and you also feel like a bad-@## pre-race, which is always nice.

LINDA: Think 4-year-old taking off her tights when you remove wetsuit. Stomp on each leg to pull your feet out. Practice. It gets easier. EVERY TIME you finish an OWS, strip the wetsuit as fast as you can. Every time.

And if anyone is wondering, you CAN get from Seattle to NYC without any ID. My husband did it this morning. Left on a biz trip and left his wallet on his desk. Oooops. Off to Fed-Ex said items to him so he can come home again.

GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Swim like a shark, ride like you stole it, and run like the wind!!!

LOL, I almost put that down as an example, thats the way my 4 year old takes hers off. 

2011-04-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3468250

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 7:07 AM

It's drawing near!!  No, not the ROYAL WEDDING Tongue out.....but another weekend of racing!  I know of at least one gent in this group doing a killer half, but what about the rest of you?

If you're not racing, let's talk about OWS....what do you do to prepare yourself for the plunge? rituals each time that help you keep calm? or swim like the devil (e.g.our 1 hr IM swimmers--Linda/Kyla!)

Hubby and I are doing an Adventure Race thing.  It's supposed to have some canoeing portions, but the rivers around here are at flood stage.  I told hubby that would just improve our time, but he's not convinced. :-)  Not a tri, but should be a bit of fun. 

I've had a good training week--have made all of my planned workouts thus far.  Now, it it would just STOP raining!  Seriously, I feel like I live in the Pacific Northwest.

P.S. you guys are freaking me out with all of the ows talk.  I'm an ows virgin (hehehehe), and I don't have a wetsuit, but I do have some body glide ;-)

Edited by jfought 2011-04-27 4:59 PM
2011-04-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3469850

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2011-04-27 4:02 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!

I second that!!!

And DJ if I lived by that rule I would have finished my IM in 28:25! Undecided

2011-04-27 5:27 PM

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-04-27 4:32 PM

Very cool number!!  I can hear Mike warming up right now.......it's close   Smile 

2011-04-27 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

1235 is your lucky number!

2011-04-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3469956

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

jfought - 2011-04-27 7:59 PM 

.....I don't have a wetsuit, but I do have some body glide ;-)

quote of the day

2011-04-27 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-27 6:32 PM

At least it wasn't 1234.   Are you serious about the water moccasins and copperheads?  All those triathletes splashing around will give them something to think about.

2011-04-27 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3470034

User image

Champion
Terps421 - 2011-04-27 7:11 PM

1235 is your lucky number!

AAHHHH TERPS'D again ; )

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298