General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-05 1:23 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
OWS on Friday 6-21 sounds great. Any suggestion on time?

2013-06-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Regular
Originally posted by GatorDeb

Per the athete guide the bike stations are 10 miles apart.

Are people going to take the course nutrition or use their own? I've used what they have and it works for me. But if I needed water AND a bar, let's say, how easy is it to grab both from the station from someone who has never done so without stopping?

Have your friend or family members stand out there about 30-40 yards apart and practice.
2013-06-05 2:02 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Regular
I might be up for a swim on Friday. I know we have the athlete meeting and check in that day. I am going to attend the meeting so I won't have surprises about things that might pop up while doing the race. Mainly want to know the no passing zones.

It would be nice to coordinate all of these into one lump thing. Swim, drive the bike course, attend the athlete meeting, have dinner at some point too. I don't know if I'll go to the welcome dinner though.

2013-06-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
As the day gets closer lets firm up the swim time on Friday.

I think you should go to the Welcome dinner, it's a pretty good time.

Laughing, statistics about athlete, Foundation athletes, stories, movies, dinner, meeting new people, goose bumps knowing you are hours away from doing an Ironman....

I'm going and I got a ticket for my wife.
2013-06-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by PrivateIdaho
Originally posted by bradaskins  Who's up for a swim on Friday the 21st at some point?
I was planning on a short 20 or 30 minute swim at some point on Friday - also will be available if anyone wants a tour of the bike course.

Thought I'd throw another note on here about a bike course tour as well for you out-of-town folks who might be interested.  Still have room in my vehicle too.  The past few years we've timed it to get finished a bit before the athlete's dinner so you have time to get there comfortably if you're going.  Usually leave the park about 1-1:30 and get back around 2:30-3.  Let me know if you're interested and enjoy the taper!

2013-06-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Spokane
I can't Seem to win with these flats! Got my 8th one today.. this one is on my new Latex tube i put in for the race . The plastic on the inside of my wheel now has a hole in it, so i might have to replace that. Also my 2nd brand new GPS4000s tire has a little chunk missing out of the tire, doesn't go all the way threw.. but still makes me paranoid. (the other one lasted a week and i slit the side wall). I would not be surprised one bit if my bike split in 2 during IM lol. On a brighter note... I got myself a new helmet. Giro Aeon

2013-06-05 6:24 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dkahns51

I can't Seem to win with these flats! Got my 8th one today.. this one is on my new Latex tube i put in for the race . The plastic on the inside of my wheel now has a hole in it, so i might have to replace that. Also my 2nd brand new GPS4000s tire has a little chunk missing out of the tire, doesn't go all the way threw.. but still makes me paranoid. (the other one lasted a week and i slit the side wall). I would not be surprised one bit if my bike split in 2 during IM lol. On a brighter note... I got myself a new helmet. Giro Aeon

I'd made sure the tape on the inside of your wheels is good to go. Also make sure you still don't have something inside your tire causing the problem.

Another time you get a flat, fill up the bad tube and put it in water to see where it bubbles. Make sure to mark the tire before you take it off. Mark it by the valve stem on the tire.

I ruined my rear tire with a slit on the sidewall and today noticed my front tire looks like it is old with cracks showing in the rubber yet it isn't very old at all. So I'm gonna have to use last years race tires. They are still in great shape but they are michelin pro 3 vs pro4. oh well. I don't want to spend 80 bucks for 2 new tires as I have to get a few other odds and ends before the race.

Sweet helmet
2013-06-05 8:53 PM

User image

Spokane
No need for the water trick... the hole today was about the size of a bb gun bullet. I am going into bike hub or fitness fanatics tomorrow to get some rim tape.
2013-06-06 4:58 AM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by bradaskins  Who's up for a swim on Friday the 21st at some point?
I was planning on a short 20 or 30 minute swim at some point on Friday - also will be available if anyone wants a tour of the bike course.

Thought I'd throw another note on here about a bike course tour as well for you out-of-town folks who might be interested.  Still have room in my vehicle too.  The past few years we've timed it to get finished a bit before the athlete's dinner so you have time to get there comfortably if you're going.  Usually leave the park about 1-1:30 and get back around 2:30-3.  Let me know if you're interested and enjoy the taper!

Time sounds fine with me. Anyone want to swim before? I don't think I'll be at the dinner since I have the wife and kids with me. I think I'll get real familiar with the commute from Spokane since that is where we are staying.
2013-06-06 5:19 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Further on the bike questions, how does the order go, water, vs. other liquids, vs. food? I.e. do I have time to grab the water/food, put it on the bike, and then grab the other item? How long are the stations?
2013-06-06 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I have to keep throwing this out there,

Water Temp 60.62°F June 6, 2013, 6:28 a.m.

2013-06-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I'm not sure I get a taper....

Last week was a 20 hr week. The week prior was a 20 hr week. This week is 19 hrs (which would have been 20 if I didn't have Monday as a recovery day). Next week is 14 hrs.

I think my coach is trying to kill me. (or make sure I have a good race, its hard to tell right now).
2013-06-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Hi Erin,

You'll get a taper

You may only be getting a two week taper. My taper stated this week but I still have 15 hours of training. My coach hasn't put down the next two weeks but I'm sure they'll start coming down.

Almost there, hang in there.

2013-06-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
All I know is, I am glad it's taper time because my work schedule, and falling apart personal life, is making me miss more workouts then I would like. I feel ready for the race but it's been a struggle lately.
2013-06-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Regular
Originally posted by smithe68

I have to keep throwing this out there,

Water Temp 60.62°F June 6, 2013, 6:28 a.m.

Thanks, just logged on here to find out what the temp was cuz I couldn't remember the link.

2013-06-06 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by GatorDeb

Further on the bike questions, how does the order go, water, vs. other liquids, vs. food? I.e. do I have time to grab the water/food, put it on the bike, and then grab the other item? How long are the stations?

This might be something to ask at athlete meeting. I really can't recall how it has been at the other races but I think water, perform, and than food in that order.

The aid stations for the HIMs I would say are about 50 yards long maybe a little longer but I didn't stop and measure it .

2013-06-06 11:26 AM

User image

Regular
I'm not tapering yet per my plan but I have cut back a little this week. Work is crazy and for some reason I have a stomach bug of some sort. Any time I eat, my stomach is in knots. So needless to say my nutrition is lacking and my energy levels are down right now.

The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.
2013-06-06 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by spie34

I'm not tapering yet per my plan but I have cut back a little this week. Work is crazy and for some reason I have a stomach bug of some sort. Any time I eat, my stomach is in knots. So needless to say my nutrition is lacking and my energy levels are down right now.

The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.

I experienced some heat troubles on my run yesterday as well, I went around 530, figure I will be running then race day so it was a good test, I was miserable! Shade and peoples sprinklers were my friend!
2013-06-06 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by spie34 The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.

Same here.  I ran for an hour yesterday without taking anything to drink, towards the end I got a couple of those cold shivers that tells me dehydration is coming.  Going back out today for 45 minutes at lunch and a short ride tonight after I get my bike back from the LBS - getting an "Ironman tune-up".

I'm going to try to make it down to the lake on Saturday for a long swim.  Debating whether or not to go for the full 2.4.  If I do, and it goes well, it would be a great confidence builder.  But if things don't go well and I'm dead tired after, it will haunt me for the next couple of weeks.  I almost think it's better not to know at this point since nothing can really be done about it and the experience will be much different on race day.

2013-06-06 12:53 PM

User image

GREAT NEWS about the water temps. But that does make it sound like race could be a little warmer than usual as well. Good points about acclimating now, sounds like it could a tough one race day.

Can someone local confirm the length of the 'Mica hill'? My memory and garmin watch look to be playing tricks on me?
2013-06-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
At what mile does Mica Hill begin and how long is it?

I want to see if I can find a similar hill around here to climb.

Thank you.

2013-06-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Anyone from around the area know of a good photographer. All my siblings and their kids are going to be there for the race and we are hoping to get a good family picture on Saturday.
2013-06-06 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Originally posted by spie34 The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.

Same here.  I ran for an hour yesterday without taking anything to drink, towards the end I got a couple of those cold shivers that tells me dehydration is coming.  Going back out today for 45 minutes at lunch and a short ride tonight after I get my bike back from the LBS - getting an "Ironman tune-up".

I'm going to try to make it down to the lake on Saturday for a long swim.  Debating whether or not to go for the full 2.4.  If I do, and it goes well, it would be a great confidence builder.  But if things don't go well and I'm dead tired after, it will haunt me for the next couple of weeks.  I almost think it's better not to know at this point since nothing can really be done about it and the experience will be much different on race day.

I did a 2 mile open water swim and beside some huge chaf on my neck it wasn't as bad as I thought. I say swim 2 and see how you feel. Don't freak yourself out this close to the race. The taper will be enough to make you second guess all your fitness. At least that is how I feel in my first psuedo taper week. I say psuedo because I have a 200K bike tour this weekend. I'll be in a bad place it that goes bad kind of like you are thinking on the swim, but I want to test myself one last time before the race.

Those water temps sound good, but running a marathon in 80 degree weather sound slike a tough one for me AKA Mr. Sweaty. I'll exchange 2 degrees on the swim for 10 on the run. That seems fair right? Have a great weekend everyone.
2013-06-06 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I say do it - even if you are dead tired you learn something about pacing. You are far enough out still that this swim should be fine. I did 2x 2.4's this week and while the 2nd one was hard (back to back) it is absolutely a confidence builder.

Weather here in Seattle is heating up too (by Seattle standards at least) I've been running in the mid day as much as possible. Hard to do any real changes to your body at this late date...
2013-06-06 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I say do it - even if you are dead tired you learn something about pacing. You are far enough out still that this swim should be fine. I did 2x 2.4's this week and while the 2nd one was hard (back to back) it is absolutely a confidence builder.

Weather here in Seattle is heating up too (by Seattle standards at least) I've been running in the mid day as much as possible. Hard to do any real changes to your body at this late date...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57