BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-22 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Me again! Bike workout done......success but painful. Glad to have that one behind me.

2013-02-22 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Like everyone else, I'm glad Nate is OK. That's a scary situation; my only wreck so far was another clipless pedal incident. I pretty much just fell over in front of my house, nothing really hurt but my pride. I got my 1 hour trainer ride in last night, and my 2,500m pool workout yesterday morning. Today is a 1-hour run, and will probably be on a treadmill since it's pretty nasty outside today. 

I was really lacking in workout motivation yesterday. I'm torn now between trying to keep my "streak" alive, and taking a day off if I want. I haven't missed a workout since I started in January, and I'd love to finish February without missing one. However, yesterday I just felt tired, and not just in my body, even though my legs were tired, but just didn't want to get up and go do it. But...I did, and I'm glad I did, so I'll keep going. I think maybe I need some sunshine, which is good, since Sunday is supposed to be nice outside.

2013-02-22 9:01 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My most spectacular crash to date was a pretty embarrassing one. I was biking early in the morning and saw another cyclist up ahead of me. I was on a somewhat unfamiliar route but decided to hammer it a little bit to catch the guy. I caught him right as we crested a hill. I really crushed it as I passed him and went over the top of the hill. Unfortunately the road took a pretty much immediate hard left turn and I was going way too fast to make the turn. I made the decision to head straight in to the woods instead of trying to make the turn. All was going pretty well until I got about ten yards in to the woods and ran right in to a fallen tree. This stopped the bike immediately and launched me over the handlebars in a spectacular fashion. I lost my glasses, my water bottles, my cliff bar and anything that wasn't bolted to the bike. I also broke two fingers but felt fortunate to get off that lightly. The guy I passed stopped to ask if I was ok and I told him I was alright except for my ego. It took me about 15 minutes to find all of my stuff in the underbrush. What I didn't recognize at the time was that I had landed in a patch of poison ivy and wound up itching for weeks. Again, small price to pay but it was worse than the broken fingers.

I am happy to say that I was only about an hour in to a 2.5 hour ride and I finished the whole ride. I sweated so much that by the time it was over I had washed away most of the dirt and grime so my wife was not as horrified as she might have been had she see me initially.

On my 21st birthday I crashed my mountain bike (while totally sober-I swear) and separated my shoulder. I will carry tht injury to my grave.....

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-02-22 9:13 AM
2013-02-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4632742

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

SWIM DONE!  Hooray!!

Randee-scary story about your wreck and trashing the bike. How's your husband recovering from his surgery?

He's actually doing VERY well, thank you for asking  He goes back to work next week and PT says they will likely unlock the brace next week and it may come off the week after (2 weeks ahead of schedule).  They say he's so far ahead of where they'd like him to be they have to keep reminding themselves to not push him too hard LOL

FYI every person I know has the same ending to the story about the first time they tried clipless pedals: ".......and I fell."  LOL and I was no exception

2013-02-22 9:09 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nate-

I don't weight train much any more but when I do I do almost all body weight/functional exercises. I do them fast with no rest between sets. A typical workout would be three sets of 6-8 exercises, 10-20 reps per set.

I would start with crunches, move directly to pushups, pull ups, dips, plank x 60 seconds, Burpees or down-ups, lunges, etc. take 60 seconds and start over. I definitely feel better when I am doing this routine regularly. I can also tell you that when I do this I can see heart rates in the 160s + so I am getting cardio benefits as well as the muscular benefits of the workout.
2013-02-22 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Another day of good workouts done ... 30 minute hill repeat on the bike followed by 15 minute hill repeats running. After that we got back on the bike and did the whole thing again. Nice 90 minute workout that was followed by some food and a 2200 yard swim. Now I am wiped and ready for my nap ... :-

Nate - I am glad you are ok and I have to say I am happy that I have not yet had an accident. I still didn't fall on my face while trying to get out of my pedals either ... oh oh I hope I didn't jinx myself ... 

Another weekend full of workouts coming ... how is everybody and what is on the training plan for the next two days?

2013-02-22 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
By the way ... just got the Finis Tempo Trainer Pro for swimming and running ... I hope it'll help with my swim and run cadence. 
2013-02-22 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

After three straight days inside on a stationary bike and then a treadmill I finalloy got outdoors again.  I managed an 80 min ride but the legs felt pretty beat up.  Still, it has been a productive month with one week to go.

Everybody keep up the great work.

2013-02-22 4:37 PM

User image

Master

Thanks for the well wishes! It should be fun, at least.

Jason: That crash sounded like an epic one. Yikes!

Randy: The fun will be in getting to cheer on friends after I'm done swimming, haha! Since Xterra is a 1500m swim, it'll be nice if I take off a chunk of time in the 1500m in this Olympic tri. It'll give me some confidence for Xterra. I think swimming at where this Olympic is being held is harder than where the swim is for Xterra. I'm hoping for a big improvement!

Weight training: I've been throwing some in for a while now. Some weeks I don't get any in, sometimes I get a couple days. I've been doing a lot of assisted pull ups and squats and it's helped with the hike-a-biking on MTB rides. For swimming, the limbs don't get tired like they used to. My open water turns and my take off from them are quicker. Turning into current isn't as much of a struggle. So, I think it's been helpful for me.

I didn't get a swim in yesterday. The kids were not cooperative. Hopefully husband's not at his conference all day and can get his 20 mile run done before it's too late for me to do any training. If he gets home when there's still light, I can get a bike/run in.

Have a great day!

2013-02-22 7:47 PM

User image

New user
So I am having this streak of losing things at the gym. First it was my work shoes which I located in lost and found. Next it was my body glide which I replaced.
Tonight I do my bike workout then swim. I lost my goggles between the pool when they were ON MY HEAD, and my locker........ I don't even know how you do that. I retraced the short walk between the two locations and no goggles. Maybe the oxygen is being diverted from my brain from the training. Guess I will have to start tying things to myself!
2013-02-22 10:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Survived 2 soccer games in cold pouring rain. Glad to get back to the hotel. Looks like an hour on the hotel treadmill in the morning. No TV in the workout room so just me, the treadmill and the ipod. Got to get it done early since its going to be too dark to run outside. Games at 9:00am and 1:00pm then 3.5-4 hour drive back home. 

2013-02-22 11:23 PM

User image

Expert

Randy - hope hotel treadmill goes well.  I am too familiar with this.  I get bummed when hotels close their rec rooms at 11 instead of leaving them open 24/7.

Nate- I too am glad you're alright.

Jason - that's hardcore to finish your ride after breaking you fingers!

One of my worst crashes involves being launched from my cycops trainer, flying through an open door then crashing into a large shelf.  My feet never unclipped. My wife at the time came runing down and just asked me "what are you doing?".  I was bleeding from mulitple sites.  No serious injuries except to my pride. 

Another one was when I was doing a century ride.  At about mile 90,  I had to pee and thought I would pull over.  As I broke my stride, I got leg cramps in BOTH legs and sailed into the brush. I was unable to stop.  I landed in a mixture of gravel and thorny bushes.  The 90 degree heat, mixed with sweat and mulitple tiny puncture wounds made for a very painful rest of the ride.

Im sitting in the ER waiting for my next admission.  Only one more night to go then I return to a more normal schedule.  I did a decent trainer ride (watching the Nutty Professor, Klumps) before coming into work.  Funny movie!  Jim

2013-02-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4634010

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Hey all. I've been MIA for a awhile. I feel like I lost all of Feb due to illness. I started out with the flu the first week of the month that turned into a two week bout of bronchitis and then a round of gout this week really did me in. No energy and hopping around on one foot doesn't do my training any good.

First time gout has hit me in 5-6 years. I always trace it back to eating too much pork. Had some homemade sausage that really tipped the scale. (It was so good though). Lesson learned again. I'm like a drunk falling off the wagon with my diet. Really need to do better.

Anyway, I dropped my road bike off today at the LBS for a shifter upgrade, new brake pads and cables. Looks like time to do it. Hope the weather warms up some. Had 8 inchs of snow here last Sat.

2013-02-23 7:14 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Just shy of 13 miles this morning at 7:16 pace. Very happy with that. I have an hour on the bike scheduled but I am not sure that I can manage to get it in time-wise. We will see.

Strange week of almost no swimming for me.......
2013-02-23 7:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Home at last. 7 miles on the treadmill this morning. Fortunately there was TV feed so it really wasn't too bad. Soccer wasn't pretty. Girls managed a tie in their last game today with my daughter scoring the only goal for them of the weekend.

Tomorrow is long bike and longish swim. Weather looks iffy for riding outside. We have had a ton of rain here. Would sure be nice to get outside on the bike.

2013-02-23 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I feel like I'm finally back amongst the living. The crud I got put me in bed for two days. Wichita also got hit with the second worst snowfall on record so work has been crazy with car accidents, falls, you name it. I'm hoping for my first workout in five days since getting sick tomorrow. Hoping that I haven't lost much but I know it's gonna be painful for the next week or so catching back up. Blanda - have a good race this weekend and make it funStuart - you've already accomplished incredible featsNate - glad to hear you're okHave a great weekend guys. I'm glad to back in the game.

2013-02-24 2:02 AM
in reply to: #4634432

User image

Calgary, AB

Like Brian, I've been MIA for a while -- both on the forum, and on my training.   Bad combination of

(a)  a Disney vacation with the kids -- lots of fun, but very hard to find time for workout  

(b)  visiting relatives, which again was fun but the treadmill is in the guest bedroom!    Managed to go skiing a couple of days but that's it

(c)  work kind of exploded -- working on two simultaneous projects in two different cities so lots of time spent either rushing to/from the airport, or scheduling late-night conference calls

Anyway -- I could beat myself up for putting training on hold for 3 weeks, or I can be proud that I'm re-establishing my routine when previously I might have returned to the couch full-time.  I'm back up and running (have done treadmill runs the last 3 days in a row) and now excited about the first tri just 7 weeks away.

Also finally caught up on the forum -- lots has happened here!  Earthquakes, surgeries, injuries, bike crashes... this forum is not for the faint of heart!

My wife is currently in Florida -- in about 2-3 hours she'll be running the Disney Princess half-marathon (her first).  Meanwhile I'm taking care of three kids under the age of 7.  You tell me who is getting an endurance workout.  Laughing

Scott.

2013-02-24 4:34 AM

User image

Master

The swim today was nuts. The current was so strong, there was a portion of it where I wasn't even moving no matter how hard I was working when the pull was strong.  Finally figured out that I needed to just do enough to not get pulled back too much on the pull in, and get as many strokes as I could in when I got pushed out a bit after. At one point, again, I drifted so far out away from the course, a paddler had to come lead me back in. My friends who were doing the relay with me were actually worried thinking I was in trouble.

Every time I hit that patch of strong current, I struggled. I never panicked, but I did have to stop and tread a few times to gather my wits and find the buoy. The paddlers were great. They knew I wasn't freaking out, just struggling. They encouraged me each time I stopped to figure out where I was.

I was out last, but the crowd was small and I wasn't too far back from them. So, I took comfort in that. I took 3 minutes off of my Xterra time, so that made me feel a little better too. I did take my first kick in the ribs from a breast stroker, LOL! I know who it was too because he told me he was going to breast stroke the whole swim and I recognized his trisuit. I have to pat myself on the back though. There was a large portion of the area where to current was crazy strong that was shallow enough to stand. While a good many walked that part, I swam. Xterra doesn't have many shallow parts. I need to be prepared for that.

OK, that was my "race" report. The rest was fun just cheering on my teammates.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-24 4:36 AM
2013-02-24 7:01 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott/Brian-thanks for checking in.  Good to hear from you guys.

Dave-glad you are feeling better.

Blanda-way to stick with it and finish. OWS is just a whole different animal. So many variables to deal with. Your swim should be a confidence builder heading into your Xterra race. Good job!

Going to head outside and try to get my ride in before rain returns. Will check in later. Enjoy your Sunday! 

2013-02-24 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Blanda, that sounds like a pretty challenging race, especially the swim! Good job giving it your all!

I had a great ride with Nate this morning. It was about 50, so still had leg warmers and gloves on, but it was sunny and much better than 30 degrees! We did a 2-hour ride, and I felt pretty strong the whole time, except for the last 10 miles, or so, which were on pretty rough road. Overall, though, it was pretty wonderful outside, so a good ride!

2013-02-24 5:46 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Had a good long bike this morning. Started out overcast and cool but it was beautiful by the time I finished. Struggled through a long swim this afternoon...still pretty fatigued from the bike workout. Now to get ready for another week!

2013-02-24 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Hey group, my brother, one year older than I passed away unexpectedly yesterday.  He was running on the treadmill and dropped.  Please keep his wife and 3 beautiful children in your thoughts and prayers.  I will be back when I'm able.  Jim 
2013-02-24 6:50 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

WOW Blanda - nice job!  I totally would have freaked out.  Glad you still managed to do well too!!

I've been slacking a bit - not completely just not doing everything I should be.  I've been trying to get a little (and I mean LITTLE) running in.  Today I walked .25, ran .5 and walked .25 and that was it.  I've been doing errands and getting ready for another long work week ever since.  However, no sense beating ourselves up like Scott said!

Also, Scott I'm curious to hear how your wife's weekend went and if she enjoyed the Disney HM.

And so tomorrow begins another day of back to the grind.  Swim Monday morning

Oh I'm also going to call my Dr office and see if he will get me some PT to help me get back into running.  I don't want to injure myself again.

Enjoy the Oscars if you're into that sort of thing

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-02-24 6:51 PM
2013-02-24 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Blanda great work on the swim and the race.

This has been a tough week.  The winds have really kicked up so today was only my third day out this week.  I did an unusual route today so I would be heading out into the wind and have the wind at my back on the return.  Still a slow turn at just 16 mph but I really wanted to get a ride in today.

Tomorrow may be another involuntary off day.  I have a booked schedule all day.  I still need to get one more day on the road in this week to go over 400 miles on the bike this month.  Sitting at 380.99 right now.

Hope everybody has a great week.  Let's close out the month strong!

2013-02-24 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4635199

User image

Master
Jim: I'm so, so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with all of you, especially his wife and kids. I'm heartbroken for you.

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-24 7:26 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66