BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by uhcoog

2100 in the pool this morning.  Felt good.  Need to slip a 30 minute run in later.

Long night last night.  You know it's going to be that way when the baby wakes up 3 hours before she normally does to eat.  Nap time?

I thought of you last night. The dog woke me up 4 or 5 times by crying and literally pulling me out of bed. Obviously I woke Shaun up and made him take her out to make sure she wasn't sick.

2013-06-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
So my hamstring is still pretty bad and Eagleman is off of the table. I'm spending this week letting it heal (the bruising and the swelling is finally going down) and then will start back building base for IMMT next week.

I'm bummed. I wanted to race and I really wanted to meet Michele in person and be there for her first HIM finish.
2013-06-04 10:22 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by kaburns1214 So my hamstring is still pretty bad and Eagleman is off of the table. I'm spending this week letting it heal (the bruising and the swelling is finally going down) and then will start back building base for IMMT next week. I'm bummed. I wanted to race and I really wanted to meet Michele in person and be there for her first HIM finish.

Sorry to hear about that Kelly, rest it up and let it recover.

Masters swim this morning.  About an hour total of various drills and practice.  Starting to feel a little more comfortable with this no snorkel thing.  Since this weekend's sprint is only a 250m pool swim I may decide to ditch the snorkel and deal with a slower time.

2013-06-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Expert
That sucks Kelly but the right call. Did they let you defer?
2013-06-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by everlong

Obviously not, its a 70.3 race.
2013-06-04 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Bummer Kelly! I know you really wanted to do that. Better to be safe and heal up!

2013-06-04 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kaburns1214 So my hamstring is still pretty bad and Eagleman is off of the table. I'm spending this week letting it heal (the bruising and the swelling is finally going down) and then will start back building base for IMMT next week. I'm bummed. I wanted to race and I really wanted to meet Michele in person and be there for her first HIM finish.

It's the smart thing to do though.  Get yourself right physically.

2013-06-04 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Ya I figured as much but had to ask. Maybe a transfer to the aquabike or something but they're all about the money.
2013-06-04 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
WTC does not allow anything but triathlons! I have asked the question in a previous year ... kind of lose you if you can't race cuz she is too close to get any money back.

Sorry Kelly ... so you are not going down to spectate? I don't know how far it is.
2013-06-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by carrie639

WTC does not allow anything but triathlons! I have asked the question in a previous year ... kind of lose you if you can't race cuz she is too close to get any money back.

Sorry Kelly ... so you are not going down to spectate? I don't know how far it is.

Its 6 hours away and driving 6 hours would almost be as bad as trying to run (its the right hamstring and driving is not so comfortable right now).
2013-06-04 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Ya I figured as much but had to ask. Maybe a transfer to the aquabike or something but they're all about the money.

They do have an aquabike (Eagleman is not WTC, its run by TriColumbia under a pre-WTC legacy contract, which is why they still have Kona slots and are allowed to have Athena and Clydedale divisions, among other differences from most WTC licensed races), but even if they let me transfer, I can't bike to my potential and I really don't have a desire to race if I'm not 100%.

2013-06-04 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by everlong That sucks Kelly but the right call. Did they let you defer?
They do have an aquabike (Eagleman is not WTC, its run by TriColumbia under a pre-WTC legacy contract, which is why they still have Kona slots and are allowed to have Athena and Clydedale divisions, among other differences from most WTC licensed races), but even if they let me transfer, I can't bike to my potential and I really don't have a desire to race if I'm not 100%.

And you have bigger fish to fry this year (IE 2 Ironman races that you don't need to set yourself back further for)

2013-06-04 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So my hamstring is still pretty bad and Eagleman is off of the table. I'm spending this week letting it heal (the bruising and the swelling is finally going down) and then will start back building base for IMMT next week.

I'm bummed. I wanted to race and I really wanted to meet Michele in person and be there for her first HIM finish.

I will just have to plan to come up for Hogsback! Again, I am so sorry you are injured. I agree with T-Scott - you have bigger races to prep for! I promise to race just as hard as if you were watching me (and waiting for me at the finish!)! LOL
2013-06-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm sorry, Kelly. Stay positive & rest. You'll be back at it soon.
2013-06-04 5:03 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thoughts on swapping cassettes for 11-28 for MT? I've been reading all I can about the course and I'm scared I will run out of gears. Is this something my LBS will carry? Or do I need to buy one online?
2013-06-04 5:30 PM

User image

New user

Montgomery County
Originally posted by mleech77

Masters swim this morning.  About an hour total of various drills and practice.  Starting to feel a little more comfortable with this no snorkel thing.  Since this weekend's sprint is only a 250m pool swim I may decide to ditch the snorkel and deal with a slower time.

Wait... snorkels are legal in races?

2013-06-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 Thoughts on swapping cassettes for 11-28 for MT? I've been reading all I can about the course and I'm scared I will run out of gears. Is this something my LBS will carry? Or do I need to buy one online?

Not a bad idea and yes your LBS should carry one.  If not Shimano cassettes are cheap on Nashbar.com

2013-06-04 5:33 PM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by collyd123

Yes.  I believe per USAT they are, but I also believe in WTC races it will take you out of the running for AG awards.  Much like wearing a wetsuit in wetsuit optional races.

2013-06-04 6:07 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by collyd123

Yes.  I believe per USAT they are, but I also believe in WTC races it will take you out of the running for AG awards.  Much like wearing a wetsuit in wetsuit optional races.

I can't speak for WTC races, but yes they are legal for any USAT event.

2013-06-04 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Found out a good deal for anyone who is interested in Pearl Izumi stuff. I had to return my ISO Transition shoes because they were to small. The place where I ordered them did not have any my size in stock. So I shopped around and no one had any in my size. I called the Pearl Izumi Outlet in NH who had them in stock and shipped them out and I will receive them in one day. I saved over $60.00. There are many Pearl Izumi outlets who will ship for pretty cheap. Worth checking out.
2013-06-04 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
So sorry to hear you won't be able to race, Kelly. That's such a bummer. Still, better to let it heal properly and still be able to tackle the rest of the season.

2013-06-04 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 Wow, nice job to the racers. There's some speedsters in this group! I actually do wear gloves. If I don't I will have a numb/ tingling thumb and pinky finger for a few days after a ride. I'm guessing that isn't healthy, hence gloves. This Saturday I rode from Plattsburgh - Lake Placid for a total of 77 miles. I was SO glad to get a decent ride in until.... I looked at my garmin. I jut don't get it. My weekly TT's have me around 17.x, which I know is slow for some, but for me I'm happy with it. I stretch out to a long ride, and I become a lame donkey with a gimpy hip. I'm SO frustrated. On top of it, I think I had heatstroke as I just felt really nauseous and had a headache. Ggggrrr so frustrating. I also struggled again with nutrition. I want to try something other than bonk breakers. By the second hour I didn't want to eat anything. I know someone mentioned skratch labs, so I'm looking into that. Do you use just their products or supplement them with something else?

Lame as in you fall off to what?

How much did you drink?   Any salt tabs?  The issue with bonk breakers is that they ave 4g of fiber and 7g of protein.  Both promote satiety and slow digestion, so I have no doubt you didn't want to eat.  Over the course of a six hour ride I would eat a bar (preferrably one with less PRO and fiber) in the first hour and then switch to gels (even naturalish ones like Honey Stinger if need be) because they get you the cals and clear out of your stomach.  Maybe take in a second bar to kick off the last 3 hours.  This makes sure you have plenty of time to clear the solids by the time you hit the run.

Skratch is great for the hydration, but it won't give you enough cals without some help from somewhere else.

Or you can always go Infinit and get all your needs out of a liquid.  You just have to figure out the concentration ratio.

A couple of questions and thoughts:

1. You need to drink (and you really should use a sports drink with Carbs and sodium -- you're looking at a bottle that has 240 calories and 600mg of sodium per 24 oz -- if you want to use Skratch that means three scoops per 24oz water bottle, if you're using Perform its three scoops as well). On AVERAGE you loose about 32 oz fluid / hour and 600-1200mg of sodium, if its hot, this goes up very quickly. Getting just 5% dehydrated starts to lead to massive performance decreases. While you may not "like" drinking, you can train your body to do so and it will have a big positive effect on your race on race day.

2. The tingling pinky finger may be Bell's palsy -- its actually fairly common for cyclists. It also may be that your hands are swelling due to electrolyte imbalance and that's cutting off circulation.

3. If you are going to use a Bonk Breaker bar (and Scott laready pointed out the portein-fat-fiber issues with them), so so early in the bike and then switch to something more easily digested (such as gels). I like Power Gels because they have 200 mg of sodium per gel.

4. When you train what do you use as your governor (e.g. HR, power, speed, RPE)? When you race, how do you pace?

5. When is the last time you had your bike fit?

I think I am switching to real food instead of sports stuff. It just seems to sit better in my stomach.

I had a bike fit (Fitwerx) when I first got my bike (June last year) and have had it tweaked several times since then. I don't love it. I feel it still pulls a little in my shoulder, but I don't know if that is just me being a baby or if it's actually wrong.

Through the course of the ride (7 hours) I took in 9 liquid bottles - mostly water. (93 degree heat). I'm not sure if this was too much, but I was SO hot, I just wanted to drink. After the ride I couldn't stop pee'ing so I'm guessing I overdid it? Before the ride I took 1 elixir tablet.

I didn't know there was a common thing with the cyclist's fingers. That's good to know, though. I wish I could get rid of it as it can be tingling for days.

I train with HR. When I race, I also go by HR.
2013-06-04 8:40 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I did my first OWS of the season tonight. It felt wonderful! The lake was a great temp, and it was nice to get in.

I also did the local TT tonight. It was a little breezy. I think I avg'd 17.1.

I am looking ahead and picking a couple of races for the fall. I would like to have a PR at a HM this year.... any suggestions NE peeps?
2013-06-04 8:46 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

I did my first OWS of the season tonight. It felt wonderful! The lake was a great temp, and it was nice to get in.

I also did the local TT tonight. It was a little breezy. I think I avg'd 17.1.

I am looking ahead and picking a couple of races for the fall. I would like to have a PR at a HM this year.... any suggestions NE peeps?

Maine Marathon and 1/2 Marathon in October. I will be doing it.
2013-06-04 9:29 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular

Sorry everyone - real life intruded for a couple days and I haven't had time to post.  Y'all've been busy!

Congrats to Jen, Matt, and Todd.  Sounds like you had great races.  Matt, your post hit just about all the same things that happened to me in my first race.  Makes me feel glad I'm not the only one experiencing those things.  And I thought I was special...

Jen, you and Todd had awesome times.  As someone said, we really do have some fast people in our group.  You've given me new territory to shoot for!  

Deb, I used to have the tingling and numbness in my fingers also.  It finally stopped doing that when I started changing my hand position reasonably often, so the bar wasn't pressuring the same position on the nerve that runs through the palm of my hand for long periods of time.  Maybe something to consider?  It'd be great if you don't have to see a doctor over it.  

Kelly, it really sucks about your missing your race.  You seem to be handling it really well, considering how frustrated you must be.  If a wide-eyed rookie can presume to offer a grizzled veteran encouragement, keep your chin up.  If I've learned anything, I think you'll be happy you listened to your body...  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86