BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-07 3:41 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by Burd

Got into day 3 of Sheilas SSS workouts. Did the She Ra workout today. 4000 yards total. I do believe she is a devil woman that loves to see people suffer I am dead after that. 1:51:43 in the water. I was surprised how many drills were in the workout. It was actually a fun workout though with all the drills.

Quitter! Full iron distance is 4,225 yards - only 225 yards more to go! All kidding aside, great workout. Earn that beer!

2014-03-07 6:50 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Got into day 3 of Sheilas SSS workouts. Did the She Ra workout today. 4000 yards total. I do believe she is a devil woman that loves to see people suffer I am dead after that. 1:51:43 in the water. I was surprised how many drills were in the workout. It was actually a fun workout though with all the drills.

Quitter! Full iron distance is 4,225 yards - only 225 yards more to go! All kidding aside, great workout. Earn that beer!

I've only been doing the day 1 and 2 of each week as I'm only in the pool 2 days a week and don't have time for the She Ra workouts. Starting soon my second day swimming will be open water (yay!) so my progress through her workouts will slow a bit. Even with not doing the full plan I'm feeling results, will be interesting to see how my times go down in my events during the summer.

2014-03-08 12:09 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hi, BadAsses,

Sorry I've been MIA. My new work schedule has me feeling like I'm either working, sleeping or getting ready to work or sleep.  Workouts have been kinda spotty and NO focus.  THAT, my friends, HAS to change.  I'm writing a plan as i speak-plans are good, right?

2014-03-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Happy Sunday BDASSers! There are two things I need to tell you before heading out for my workout:

1) Based upon what people said about the goals - we will post them on the forum this week instead of on the Google Doc. We can check in next week and see if we like this method better. When you post your goals: Just reply to the last version of the goal post. So, I will post the goal sheet, then someone else will Quote that post and add their goals, then the next person will quote the second post... Etc.

2) What do you want to talk about this week? If you have a burning question or is there is something you are dying to know more about - just post the question or the question.

Have a great day everyone!
2014-03-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: Weekly Goal Sheet 3/9
DQ - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap
2014-03-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Everything is clean and clear! Definitely a lump of tissue but not a mass! Woot woot!

The sun is shining the weather is great and I have been outside playing. Yesterday I ran a trail run and felt better than I have in a long time then went to frolic in the pool with my grandson for a few hours and then we headed to the movies. Today we are hiking to the cross, where i ran yesterday, with the dogs and then a bike ride together...gotta get my real ride in before he gets here!

2014-03-09 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Weekly Goal Sheet 3/9
Originally posted by Qua17

DQ - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap

Cynthia -
1. Get up and go to 5am Cross fit; How- have everything ready (meals and clothing) the previous night
2. Follow my plan (I missed a long ride this week); How - check my plan the night before on the computer of phone
3. Yoga; How - find a class and go

Edited by SportzVision 2014-03-09 1:10 PM
2014-03-09 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by SportzVision

Cynthia -
1. Get up and go to 5am Cross fit; How- have everything ready (meals and clothing) the previous night
2. Follow my plan (I missed a long ride this week); How - check my plan the night before on the computer of phone

Alex -
1. Go to both PT appointments
2. Get in 2 swims
3. 2 strength workouts
4. 2 days of elliptical training.
5. Get outta town on vacation Friday and don't lift a finger til I return on Monday

Edited by Burd 2014-03-09 1:59 PM
2014-03-09 5:40 PM

User image

Cynthia -

Alex -
1. Go to both PT appointments
2. Get in 2 swims
3. 2 strength workouts
4. 2 days of elliptical training.
5. Get outta town on vacation Friday and don't lift a finger til I return on Monday

Alan -
1. Finish all scheduled workouts
i) 2 swims
ii) 3 bikes (2 interval sessions, 1 long easy ride)
iii) 3 runs (2 short speed sessions, one long slow)
2. Drop 1lb
2014-03-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert

Everything is clean and clear! Definitely a lump of tissue but not a mass! Woot woot!

The sun is shining the weather is great and I have been outside playing. Yesterday I ran a trail run and felt better than I have in a long time then went to frolic in the pool with my grandson for a few hours and then we headed to the movies. Today we are hiking to the cross, where i ran yesterday, with the dogs and then a bike ride together...gotta get my real ride in before he gets here!

Amen! Nobody messes with the Queen of the BDAS! I hope you have the best week ever!
2014-03-09 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
This week has been crazy. Here's the good: My hip still hurts but it feels better than it did last Sunday. I'm not sure why - I had the session with the new PT, I took Aleve all weekend, I've been icing like it's my job - I just hope it continues. Here's the bad - my right shoulder still hurts. Unlike my hip - I am the one to blame for my shoulder. I hurt it while scraping ice off the driveway. Duh. I'm gonna try the pool tomorrow and see how it goes. Here's the ugly - some girl at my older son's school decided to call my son a f@ggot. I abhore that word - but it sent him into a tailspin. Luckily he's better - but please pray that the teasing stops.

I ate well this past week but didn't lose any weight on the scale. I have 23 weeks until my IM and I have 40 pounds to lose. To motivate myself - I tried on all the pants I can't fit into (I've got a closet full of them - 17 pairs in total) and arranged them from loosest to tightest (some I couldn't even get on much less buttoned). Every Saturday from now until the race - I'm gonna try on the loosest pair and if it fits, I throw away one pair of my fat boy pants. If they don't fit - I will put them back on the rack and try again the next week. It would be nice to report to my new school with a new wardrobe.

It's my wife's spring break so she headed to VA, so it's just the boys and me this week. What is the ultimate movie to watch with your 12 and 13 year old?

2014-03-10 7:02 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Thor- 1)lose 2 lbs 2)get a training plan to start for next week 3) 3 runs/3 bikes 4)work to live not live to work.

Originally posted by adempsey10
Originally posted by Qua17 DQ - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap
Cynthia - 1. Get up and go to 5am Cross fit; How- have everything ready (meals and clothing) the previous night 2. Follow my plan (I missed a long ride this week); How - check my plan the night before on the computer of phone 3. Yoga; How - find a class and go
Alex - 1. Go to both PT appointments 2. Get in 2 swims 3. 2 strength workouts 4. 2 days of elliptical training. 5. Get outta town on vacation Friday and don't lift a finger til I return on Monday
Alan - 1. Finish all scheduled workouts i) 2 swims ii) 3 bikes (2 interval sessions, 1 long easy ride) iii) 3 runs (2 short speed sessions, one long slow) 2. Drop 1lb

2014-03-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by thor67

Thor- 1)lose 2 lbs 2)get a training plan to start for next week 3) 3 runs/3 bikes 4)work to live not live to work.

Originally posted by Qua17 DQ - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap
Cynthia - 1. Get up and go to 5am Cross fit; How- have everything ready (meals and clothing) the previous night 2. Follow my plan (I missed a long ride this week); How - check my plan the night before on the computer of phone 3. Yoga; How - find a class and go
Alex - 1. Go to both PT appointments 2. Get in 2 swims 3. 2 strength workouts 4. 2 days of elliptical training. 5. Get outta town on vacation Friday and don't lift a finger til I return on Monday
Alan - 1. Finish all scheduled workouts i) 2 swims ii) 3 bikes (2 interval sessions, 1 long easy ride) iii) 3 runs (2 short speed sessions, one long slow) 2. Drop 1lb

kevin-lose 2 lbs., workout 30 min. 5x
2014-03-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by kevinbe

Charles:
Nutrition/Diet
First group ride of the season on Saturday (St. Patrick's pre-ride)! SAG support for Sunday's public St. Patrick's ride.
2014-03-10 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

This week is going to be a mess of a week, as I'll be at a work conference most of the time. My goal is to at least get 30 minutes of *something* each day, be it running or maybe swimming in the small hotel pool. Hopefully I'll be able to check in here during some downtime however don't be surprised if I'm MIA for a few days.

Over the weekend I went for a ride on my (loaner) triathlon bike. I'm getting more comfortable riding in aero and looking forward to some longer rides. The ride was out to the beach that I'll be doing weekly open water swims at starting next week. Looking forward to it!

(avila_ride.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
avila_ride.jpg (71KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-10 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
New versus used? When I can get so much more bike for the $$ why should I look at new if I know my size and what fits? Is there anything wrong with buying used or will I love a new bike that much more? My current roadie was bought used and I saved a ton of cash. I'm looking at value and I'm afraid a new ride in my price range will leave me with upgrade fever in a short time where the used bike with the higher level components and goodies.

So whats the answer to the age old question....new or used?

2014-03-10 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

If you can find what you like in the proper size now is the time! I just bought my wife a new bike. Specialized Ruby elite compact...half price!!

Fits great, all carbon with shimano 105 components. Just switching bike computer/trainer tire/extras and she is good to go!

the good:price was cheaper then what people were selling used for/know the history of the bike(new!!)/she gets fitted properly/full warranty/year of tuneups and adjustments.

the bad: wasn't really looking for one right now but the deal was too good. PLus I would have liked another bike...

Originally posted by Burd New versus used? When I can get so much more bike for the $$ why should I look at new if I know my size and what fits? Is there anything wrong with buying used or will I love a new bike that much more? My current roadie was bought used and I saved a ton of cash. I'm looking at value and I'm afraid a new ride in my price range will leave me with upgrade fever in a short time where the used bike with the higher level components and goodies. So whats the answer to the age old question....new or used?

2014-03-10 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I can only dream...

Originally posted by MOlsen

This week is going to be a mess of a week, as I'll be at a work conference most of the time. My goal is to at least get 30 minutes of *something* each day, be it running or maybe swimming in the small hotel pool. Hopefully I'll be able to check in here during some downtime however don't be surprised if I'm MIA for a few days.

Over the weekend I went for a ride on my (loaner) triathlon bike. I'm getting more comfortable riding in aero and looking forward to some longer rides. The ride was out to the beach that I'll be doing weekly open water swims at starting next week. Looking forward to it!

2014-03-10 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

New versus used? When I can get so much more bike for the $$ why should I look at new if I know my size and what fits? Is there anything wrong with buying used or will I love a new bike that much more? My current roadie was bought used and I saved a ton of cash. I'm looking at value and I'm afraid a new ride in my price range will leave me with upgrade fever in a short time where the used bike with the higher level components and goodies.

It really comes down to knowledge and comfort. I've done both. My used road bike is probably too big, has a cruddy component group, and I've spent a fair amount on maintenance - new chain, new cassette, tires and wheels . . . but I only spent $500 to buy it originally, and it came with shoes and pedals.

My used cross bike was only $400, but it needs new cables and a new front derailleur.

My shiny new (mid-high range) tribike was a lot more, but it involved a professional fit and all the accouterments. Also, the shop now treats me like royalty and everyone there knows my name now. I don't worry about fit or anything like that.

Personally, I'm comfortable tinkering and own a set of bike tools. I am fine with replacing cables and bar tape, chains and cassettes, and other routine stuff. I know a fair amount about bikes so I can usually tell if something is junky or not, and I know enough to price semi-accurately.

That being said, we're always looking to upgrade. I could buy a new Felt IA and a set of Zipp 808 Firecrests and still find upgrades. Used v. new is more a question of skill and knowledge and a willingness to take risks. If you go the bike shop for derailleur adjustment, then don't buy used (that being said, learn to adjust your derailleurs! --> youtube is your friend!).

Another thing is to separate needs from wants. I just bought a set of fat 28mm tires for my road bike, since the roads are still cruddy. I want a set of carbon wheels, but that's pretty far down on the list. I borderline need a hydration system for my tri-bike, and I borderline need a new helmet. I need new tubes and a few new patch kits. I also know that, while sexy, the carbon wheels won't really make me much faster.
2014-03-10 8:35 PM

User image

Expert

Mark - You are killing me with that picture. There is a chance we could get 6-10 inches Thursday. It looks so sunny and nice out there. Why we ever left CA I will never know.

2014-03-10 9:19 PM

User image

Expert

A couple of thoughts - 1) How bike savvy are you? I didn't know anything and worried that I would get duped with a used bike so I went to the most reputable LBS in town and bought there. 2) How well do you know the person you are buying from. I worried about getting a bike that had been involved in a crash - so I went new. 3) How much will you have to spend so that you can't give it up. I paid a little more for my bike knowing full well that it would eat at me if I left it sitting in the garage.

I like Thors idea of trying to find a good price on a new one but if you can't and feel comfortable with a used bike - go for it.

PS - Glad to see you're back in the saddle again!

2014-03-10 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
I went to the gym this morning to get in a PT workout and to do a swim. At my last PT session, the therapist wondered aloud if the reason why I wasn't getting better was because I wasn't doing the work. That has pi$$ed me off something fierce and I decided to put in an extra 15 minutes just to prove them wrong. After getting my core workout in - I headed for the pool only to find a sign on the door that read - biohazard cleanup... I guess I missed it by about 5 minutes. Way too close for comfort.

Hip is feeling pretty decent today. I'm hoping to get in my first ride outside since December when I went out and froze my butt off in -2 degree temps. It's gonna be 52. I know that's downright cold where Alex lives but I will take it.
2014-03-11 2:05 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Livin the dream!
2014-03-11 2:19 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I headed for the pool only to find a sign on the door that read - biohazard cleanup... I guess I missed it by about 5 minutes. Way too close for comfort.

Hip is feeling pretty decent today. I'm hoping to get in my first ride outside since December when I went out and froze my butt off in -2 degree temps. It's gonna be 52. I know that's downright cold where Alex lives but I will take it.
I've heard of peeing in the pool, but that just isn't right.
52 sounds like paradise. Goodbye winter, hello Spring/summer!
2014-03-11 5:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by kevinbe

Charles:
Nutrition/Diet
First group ride of the season on Saturday (St. Patrick's pre-ride)! SAG support for Sunday's public St. Patrick's ride.

Scott
1. start swim speed workouts, 2. get 2 bike rides in 3. I say this every week but rest my leg
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.