BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-08-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5272091

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Andrew-sorry to hear about your ankle. Injuries suck. I’m lucky not to have any issues with ankle stability, so I haven’t used the Brooks Adreneline, but I love brooks shoes in general. They last a long time, hold up well, and they aren’t god awful ugly.

I went for another morning run today and then followed it up with some upper body work with the trx system I bought when quarrentine started and then promptly forgot about. It is actually kind of fun—like being in the circus, just with fewer lions—same amount of spandex though!

2020-08-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5272102

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Another short run in the books this morning, squeezing it in before Laura’s remnants pound on us today. She’s broken up some, but weather app still says potential for 40-60mph winds and several inches of rain (we live 600 miles inland!!)

Slow return to activity continues. Trying not to compare myself to where I was a couple of months ago.
2020-08-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Slow return to activity continues. Trying not to compare myself to where I was a couple of months ago.

Very wise, start from the start again, you’ll soon be back to where you were

Still only walking and one arm swimming for me (or no arms at all, with snorkel and fins) but the lake is getting colder, I may have to go back to the pool soon.

Tried jogging yesterday, still hurt so I stopped after 2 minutes. I was out of breath after 2 minutes... talk about starting again!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
2020-08-30 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

A plus one for that being very wise. It's a constant issue for me being happy with progress I'm making in the now, not disappointed I'm not as fit/fast as I was 6 or 7 years ago. Keep up the slow and steady return.
2020-08-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Tried jogging yesterday, still hurt so I stopped after 2 minutes. I was out of breath after 2 minutes... talk about starting again!

Maybe a run walk is an idea? If it hurts after 2 minutes try 60 sec run : 60 sec walk?
2020-08-30 6:05 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Another week done and dusted. Week 5 of my IMNZ training plan.

No pools this week, due to covid. So I added some biking to make up for it.

Swim: Zero, Zilch, Nadda.
Bike: 6 times, 4hr 48 minutes. Was feeling it in the legs a bit this week so a 60 minute ride turned into 2 x 30 minute ones. Also got out on the single speed for a 90ish minute ride with a friend on the weekend. Really happy with the pace/RPE/heart rate I was able to maintain, definitely fitter on the bike than I was 6 months ago.
Run: 3 times, 2hr 21 minutes. No speed work this week as I continue to nurse the rolled ankle. But I did get a short brick run after Sundays bike which was fun.

Total of 7 hr 9 minutes. for the week. Which is back to back 7 hr weeks. Happy with that.

Coming next week I have a rest week, which may mean the consecutive days of SBR streak (currently 45 days for those keeping score) may end. We will see how I feel. And the pool is open again! So I definitely want to get a couple of swims in.

How were everyone else's weeks?

2020-08-31 1:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Maybe a run walk is an idea? If it hurts after 2 minutes try 60 sec run : 60 sec walk?

Yes, that’s what I did the following day, 2 minutes walks/ 2 minutes run. 5 min the day after that. Been using my arm sling to give the injury some support, which worked but gave me pain on the shoulder blade...That was cured by some swimming in the lake. Getting cold but still nice.

Enjoy your rest week Andrew, these are important!

2020-08-31 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Another week done and dusted. Week 5 of my IMNZ training plan. No pools this week, due to covid. So I added some biking to make up for it. Swim: Zero, Zilch, Nadda. Bike: 6 times, 4hr 48 minutes. Was feeling it in the legs a bit this week so a 60 minute ride turned into 2 x 30 minute ones. Also got out on the single speed for a 90ish minute ride with a friend on the weekend. Really happy with the pace/RPE/heart rate I was able to maintain, definitely fitter on the bike than I was 6 months ago. Run: 3 times, 2hr 21 minutes. No speed work this week as I continue to nurse the rolled ankle. But I did get a short brick run after Sundays bike which was fun. Total of 7 hr 9 minutes. for the week. Which is back to back 7 hr weeks. Happy with that. Coming next week I have a rest week, which may mean the consecutive days of SBR streak (currently 45 days for those keeping score) may end. We will see how I feel. And the pool is open again! So I definitely want to get a couple of swims in. How were everyone else's weeks?

Nice work, Andrew.  I just kicked off my Tour de France challenge with a 30 mile ride on Zwift Saturday and then 30 miles outdoors yesterday.  Kept the effort in upper Z2 / lower Z3 for the most part though I did some standing sprint practices yesterday, nothing crazy.  Averaged 17.5 mph for those 30 miles without really pushing it so happy about that.

I was really starting to feel run down after 2+ easy weeks, probably some kind of taper madness.  Well, 21 days of cycling out of 23 should cure that.

We also dropped my daughter off at college (about 30 minutes from here).  So far, so good, but they start up their limited in-person classes and meetings this week.  The school is taking it quite seriously so hopefully things will go well, but I'm still expecting her to be home by the end of October .

2020-08-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5272118

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another short run this morning in my quest to get back into things, but not over do it. Felt like I was running through soup, and my pace showed it. The humidity was out of control today. I can’t wait for the drier fall weather to arrive!!

Mike-My best wishes for your daughter and her freshman (right?) year! These are very important weeks ahead and I hope she gets them. Schools either seem to be doing a good job or a terrible job—not much middle ground!
2020-08-31 11:47 AM

It's good to know that it's possible to come back into business like that after an injury, congrats on your success story! Injuring myself was one of my worries when starting training for triathlon all over again, as I had some muscular and sinew wounds as a teen.
2020-08-31 2:08 PM
in reply to: Flanker33K

User image

Master
brummie land

Nice name Flanker - you blind side or open side? I've just started training with my local team and love it! Today was a coupe of hours in the park with my mate and her missus; passing drills and kicking/catching practice which was fun!

Am back at work now (in my house still) so need to work out how I am going to factor in riding my bike with wfh and also rugby training (I get sore easily and it lasts for a good few days - not used to any running/jogging type exercise so it is taking my legs a while to get used to not just pedalling or kicking (not that our pools are open either))

Hope we all doing ok, and @rollergirl - how cold would you go?

2020-08-31 2:09 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
brummie land

And good luck to your daughter Mike!

2020-08-31 4:05 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

@rollergirl - how cold would you go?

Not sure, I don’t know what temp it is at the moment. If I was to hazard a guess I would say it’s about 17C. Have to wear swim cap, gloves and booties (my feet/hands are very sensitive to cold) but no need for wetsuit yet. Not sure I can put it on/take it off with my broken collarbone anyway...
2020-08-31 5:32 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96 @rollergirl - how cold would you go?
Not sure, I don’t know what temp it is at the moment. If I was to hazard a guess I would say it’s about 17C. Have to wear swim cap, gloves and booties (my feet/hands are very sensitive to cold) but no need for wetsuit yet. Not sure I can put it on/take it off with my broken collarbone anyway...

Booties are a g-dsend! I did ows when I lived in Manchester and ohhh cold feet make everything worse!

2020-09-01 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

F*#&@!!! that's too cold for me.    I'd barely be OK in that temp in my sleeveless wetsuit.  You northern climate types are fierce!

2020-09-01 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Four stages of my personal virtual TdF done, a total of about 85 miles so far, all but one day on the trainer.  I've done two stages in Watopia (the fake world in Zwift), one outdoors here , and one in their virtual France world.  I guess I have that teleporting thing figured out or that's some serious airline travel. 

Now that Zwift has their "worlds" (they have like 10 now) posted for the month I can plan out a route/schedule that makes a little more sense geography-wise.  This week is going to be the Atlantic coast of the US (yes, I know it's a TdF but they race in Belgium, Germany, and Italy sometimes so I'm taking a little license with my made up tour...) - New York and Richmond in Zwift, Baltimore IRL.  First rest day will be Monday the 7th.  Legs feel pretty good so far, a little meh yesterday but more snap today.  I'm riding mostly around top of Z2 into Z3 with some attacks here and there, and I have some races planned at some point.

2020-09-01 2:01 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A medium run in the rain today. I love running in the rain, up to a point. I'm happy as a clam, as long as my feet don't get soggy.
2020-09-02 12:40 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

F*#&@!!! that's too cold for me.    I'd barely be OK in that temp in my sleeveless wetsuit.  You northern climate types are fierce!

So today I took my thermometer to the lake and it showed 17 Celcius, I was not far off when I guessed that on Monday. It was colder than the other day though, still OK but not very nice, I only lasted 15 minutes. Days, and especially nights are getting colder and the lake’s temperature is plummeting.
I will try to put on my wetsuit tomorrow to try and squeeze in a couple more OWS but then that’ll be it for the season

So to answer your question Sapho, I think 17C (about 62F) without a wetsuit and 15C (59F) with one is as cold as I’ll go.

2020-09-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #5272176

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit the roads for my first road cycle of the year—seriously. It is weird, but before I went to Kentucky I was riding the trainer all the time and then I was riding their bike trail. So, yeah, here we are in September and I’m riding my bike on the roads for the first time since last September. Weird. Anyway, nice 45’ cycle out to and around our local airport. They used to have a great bike lane out there you could do loops around the airport and not have to worry about too much traffic, but two summers ago they redid the entrance and now it dumps you into a fairy busy road. Bleh.

Now...onto the most important news of the day...my wife has agreed to n+1! We have a nice, long rail trail here that is about 50 miles, but the catch is it is crushed limestone, not paved. I’d like to pick up a bike suitable for riding on that type of surface (even if I don’t really NEED one). At first I was thinking gravel bike, but that doesn’t seem to be exactly what I thought it was (it is the ones with the big fat tires, right?). Now I’m not sure what I want...mountain?, hybrid?, cyclocross? Any advice appreciated!
2020-09-02 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit the roads for my first road cycle of the year—seriously. It is weird, but before I went to Kentucky I was riding the trainer all the time and then I was riding their bike trail. So, yeah, here we are in September and I’m riding my bike on the roads for the first time since last September. Weird. Anyway, nice 45’ cycle out to and around our local airport. They used to have a great bike lane out there you could do loops around the airport and not have to worry about too much traffic, but two summers ago they redid the entrance and now it dumps you into a fairy busy road. Bleh. Now...onto the most important news of the day...my wife has agreed to n+1! We have a nice, long rail trail here that is about 50 miles, but the catch is it is crushed limestone, not paved. I’d like to pick up a bike suitable for riding on that type of surface (even if I don’t really NEED one). At first I was thinking gravel bike, but that doesn’t seem to be exactly what I thought it was (it is the ones with the big fat tires, right?). Now I’m not sure what I want...mountain?, hybrid?, cyclocross? Any advice appreciated!

A gravel bike is probably what you're looking for.  It'll have a more relaxed geometry than a typical road bike and more clearance in the fork and the rear dropout for wider tires, plus most have disc brakes.  You can pick the type of tires based on what you're riding.  For crushed limestone you can probably just go with like 30mm road tires, or something with just a little more grip.  You won't need fat tires for that...they're more for sand like beach cruisers.

Blasphemy alert!!    I'm never against n +1 but you probably can just swap out your current tires unless your bike clearance is really narrow.  My old Fuji juuuuustt maybe could fit 30mms, definitely 28s.  I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but it has an aggressive geometry so it's not really conducive to gravel touring.  Maybe n + 1 is the answer, after all. 

2020-09-03 7:13 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Maybe n + 1 is the answer, after all. 

YES!!!!!!

2020-09-03 7:18 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Managed a bit of riding yesterday; did a few loops by mine and around the outside of the rugby pitch (lovely smooth path) before rugby training; really, really helped with getting my legs more ready before the jogging and lunges etc started. Think I'll do more of this in the future. Just need to get some normal rides in too

Hope everyone doing ok?

@rollergirl, the Hampstead Heath ponds in London allow swimming all year round. I watched a gorgeous documentary called Swimming Through the Seasons, which shows crazies breaking the ice before swimming underneath it. ahhhhhh....

2020-09-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: #5272221

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Breaking the ice before swimming underneath it—sounds like a great way to get dead.

I did another short run this morning, followed by a quick upper body strength session. Now I’m trying to get motivated to do some work, but my wife having the day off is not helping that! I’m jealous!!
2020-09-03 1:34 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@rollergirl, the Hampstead Heath ponds in London allow swimming all year round. I watched a gorgeous documentary called Swimming Through the Seasons, which shows crazies breaking the ice before swimming underneath it. ahhhhhh....

They do that over here too. It’s supposed to be good for you.
2020-09-04 4:47 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

They do that over here too. It’s supposed to be good for you.

NOT convinced!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 6914 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123