BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-23 12:52 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

You have to kind of pick and choose who you follow, some folks go nuts. DO NOT follow Rev3 on race day, it gets nuts.  I'll also add someone during a period of time or event, then unfollow when the event is over.

Yep, this happened with Kona.  My twitter feed was nothing but time splits which got old really, really fast.  

I have to ask -- what is everyone's twitter id?

I'm @jmkizer

Also, what's your favorite twitter tool?  I've been using TweetDeck at work.  I just keep it running off to the side.  I'm not good about following twitter at home.  Or FB either for that matter.  I just don't spend a lot of time online at home -- Words With Friends being the big exception there!

@cdban

You are the Manatee I mentioned before, if you didn't figure that out I just use the Android Twitter App. It works fine. I used a couple of others and they were cludgey. I had Friend Stream running on the phone, which pulls in all your social media accounts, but it was a resource hog. I rarely tweet about anything other than my Strava workouts or drunk people that I run into when we go out at night. I always like a good drunk person story, which is probably why I follow TFLN.

@blueyedbikrgirl

So far I've just been using the Twitter App on my iPhone, but I think I might check out TweetDeck.  I really don't tweet about a whole lot and tend to use FB more to be in touch with friends... it's more of an amusement thing for me.     

2013-10-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You have to kind of pick and choose who you follow, some folks go nuts. DO NOT follow Rev3 on race day, it gets nuts.  I'll also add someone during a period of time or event, then unfollow when the event is over.

Yep, this happened with Kona.  My twitter feed was nothing but time splits which got old really, really fast.  

I'm @jmkizer

Also, what's your favorite twitter tool?  I've been using TweetDeck at work.  I just keep it running off to the side.  I'm not good about following twitter at home.  Or FB either for that matter.  I just don't spend a lot of time online at home -- Words With Friends being the big exception there!

@cdban

You are the Manatee I mentioned before, if you didn't figure that out I just use the Android Twitter App. It works fine. I used a couple of others and they were cludgey. I had Friend Stream running on the phone, which pulls in all your social media accounts, but it was a resource hog. I rarely tweet about anything other than my Strava workouts or drunk people that I run into when we go out at night. I always like a good drunk person story, which is probably why I follow TFLN.

@cdban I saw your Strava segment come across this morning!

I have DailyMile post workouts Twitter and also Goodreads (yes, I read a lot!).

2013-10-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm @jmkizer

@cdban

@cdban I saw your Strava segment come across this morning!

I have DailyMile post workouts Twitter and also Goodreads (yes, I read a lot!).

You read a boatload! I am envious, I wish I had the desire to do so.

It is funny, I thought when I started on the 2 sites that Twitter would win out, but Facebook is used by my whole family, so much like Monica that is where I go. Twitter is more of an amusement. 

OK, I am off to meeting land. If I'm real lucky I'll find out about more weekends that I need to work, blargh!

2013-10-23 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm @jmkizer

I'm not on twitter and although I have a Facebook page I rarely post anything other than the occasional snide comment to one of my sibling's posts. I do, however, love WWF!
2013-10-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm @jmkizer

@cdban

@blueyedbikrgirl

So far I've just been using the Twitter App on my iPhone, but I think I might check out TweetDeck.  I really don't tweet about a whole lot and tend to use FB more to be in touch with friends... it's more of an amusement thing for me.     

@blueyedbikrgirl you have been followed!

I don't post a whole lot but get some news, traffic, weather (@NWSRaleigh), Carolina Hurricanes related stuff, etc.

2013-10-23 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm @jmkizer

@cdban

@blueyedbikrgirl

I don't post a whole lot but get some news, traffic, weather (@NWSRaleigh), Carolina Hurricanes related stuff, etc.

Look!

@NWSWilmingtonNC

2013-10-23 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm @jmkizer

@cdban

@blueyedbikrgirl

Look!

@NWSWilmingtonNC

Followed! (as is Chris) Now I can REALLY stalk you   

I'm adding the NWS site too.  I tried to find one for B2B but it doesn't seem like there is one?  

2013-10-23 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
I've been on a kick recently getting all the annual exams done that I've never actually bothered to get done before ( yes, I know, not getting them done is wrong) and while making an appointment for a bone density exam I was asked if I weigh more than 300 lbs. Wtf?! I can't comprehend how this question needs to be asked of anyone. I guess it has become an issue if it's one of the routine questions and that makes me sad.

oh! and just so you know, I made the appointment over the phone, so the receptionist was not looking at me when she asked

one other thing, women really have to go through a lot of crap health testing, screening, examining wise. Men have it so much easier!

2013-10-23 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm @jmkizer

@cdban

@blueyedbikrgirl

Look!

@NWSWilmingtonNC

Followed! (as is Chris) Now I can REALLY stalk you   

I'm adding the NWS site too.  I tried to find one for B2B but it doesn't seem like there is one?  

I didn't either.  The website seems to point to @SetUpEvents. 

I'm not sure if SetUp is the management company or the event owner.  I think that it may be a partnership with the YMCA.  I know that it's a big fundraiser for them and most of the event committee is the Y.  I guess the @SetUpEvents account plus hashtag would work.  It's just if you have only 140 characters, why take up any for a hash tag?  #b2b is short but if you want to publicize the event the whole name (#beach2battleship) would be a better choice.

2013-10-23 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
@JohnsonJ7
2013-10-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by amd723I've been on a kick recently getting all the annual exams done that I've never actually bothered to get done before ( yes, I know, not getting them done is wrong) and while making an appointment for a bone density exam I was asked if I weigh more than 300 lbs. Wtf?! I can't comprehend how this question needs to be asked of anyone. I guess it has become an issue if it's one of the routine questions and that makes me sad.

oh! and just so you know, I made the appointment over the phone, so the receptionist was not looking at me when she asked

one other thing, women really have to go through a lot of crap health testing, screening, examining wise. Men have it so much easier!

I dunno. I just went through a bunch of "oscopies" with DH. No thanks!So I am attempting to eat a mango "chia pod" that I picked up at the store. The combination of its texture and my lack of appetite is not good.

2013-10-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by amd723I've been on a kick recently getting all the annual exams done that I've never actually bothered to get done before ( yes, I know, not getting them done is wrong) and while making an appointment for a bone density exam I was asked if I weigh more than 300 lbs. Wtf?! I can't comprehend how this question needs to be asked of anyone. I guess it has become an issue if it's one of the routine questions and that makes me sad.

oh! and just so you know, I made the appointment over the phone, so the receptionist was not looking at me when she asked :)

I dunno. I just went through a bunch of "oscopies" with DH. No thanks!So I am attempting to eat a mango "chia pod" that I picked up at the store. The combination of its texture and my lack of appetite is not good.

Hey TJ, I don't mean to push on this (well, I guess I do), but have you tried some salty stuff? Does that sound good at all?

2013-10-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Seattle

Per my TT post, I was trying to solve my insole issue for my racing flats.

I contacted Running Warehouse, just to ask if they could recommend an adhesive or if I should contact NB. I got an immediate response from them, just telling me to ship my shoes back to them (for free) and they would exchange. 

I told them I had a race in a week and a half and was curious if I should just wait until after to send them back. Their customer service rep AGAIN promptly responded that my new shoes were being shipped 2nd day air, shortly. 

So happy with them.

2013-10-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by switch

Hey TJ, I don't mean to push on this (well, I guess I do), but have you tried some salty stuff? Does that sound good at all?

Seriously??

2013-10-23 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Actually I meant to thank you for your post yesterday. When I got home I had a Justin's chocolate pb candy bar and a bottle of powerbar perform and took a nap. After that I was able to eat but still not "hungry"
2013-10-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Seriously??

Ha! Salty is ALWAYS better

2013-10-23 2:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Actually I meant to thank you for your post yesterday. When I got home I had a Justin's chocolate pb candy bar and a bottle of powerbar perform and took a nap. After that I was able to eat but still not "hungry"

What the shyte is a mango chia pod?

Anything with chia in it seems to be  the opposite of what you want to eat when nauseous. 

2013-10-23 2:06 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by TriAya

OK, thanks Yanti.  I just read the link, and computed my CSS.  So that puts me at 1:45/100 based on a 2:58 200 TT and a 6:28 400TT (my times are from yds, not meters, but I'm guessing that doesn't change as long as you're then using your CSS time in a SCY pool?).

I am thrilled to hear that I can improve by swimming at 1:45/100.  Do I have that right? 

Did you do the two time trials in a row with rest in between (recently)? Standalone and the longer in the past it was (even a few weeks) is not gonna be quite as accurate. That said, if such a TT session essentially yielded the same results, the answer is yes--done the way they recommend. Not all of your repeats in all of your sets are going to be at that speed, and the rest time will vary. CSS also changes quickly.

That part of swimming (among many) is fairly similar to running, in that if you could hold 1:45/100yd with :10 rest for more repeats (say, 30x100) and not fade, you could definitely hold 1:35 or better in a shorter race (say 1500m, yard equivalent). However, again, this number will drop, so you continue adjusting, and continue refining your ability to hold the highest steady pace possible for as long as possible (and that would be getting a fair bit longer if you're heading into long-course).

When I read it this morning, I based it off of a 400 and a 200 interval I did in the last couple of days, but I just did it as prescribed over lunch and those were exactly my times. I have never done (or even thought about doing 30 x 100), so I don't know if I could do 100 repeats at 1:45 with a 10s RI.  Interestingly, though, I just swam 1550 today (just cause it's been a long time since I've done a straight swim), and I was 1:36/100 for that.  Maybe I didn't push hard enough on the TT?  I mean, my 1550 time/100 was actually faster than my 400 time.  WTF?  Maybe not warmed up enough...

My A race(s) next season will be HIMs.  Should I take that into account in any way when determining either my pace or my sets?

As always, THANK YOU so much for your patience with my questions :)

2013-10-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723 I've been on a kick recently getting all the annual exams done that I've never actually bothered to get done before ( yes, I know, not getting them done is wrong) and while making an appointment for a bone density exam I was asked if I weigh more than 300 lbs. Wtf?! I can't comprehend how this question needs to be asked of anyone. I guess it has become an issue if it's one of the routine questions and that makes me sad.

Um, we have this one test with a camera that is really no fun. Having said that, I do have to agree with you. When I look at what TW goes through, I know I got it easy.

2013-10-23 2:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Anything with chia in it seems to be  the opposite of what you want to eat when nauseous. 

Yeah, I gotta agree with Salty on this one... both the first and second sentences.  

2013-10-23 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Chocolate PB candy can fix most things! Seriously though, if this continues a visit to your doc may be in order.

2013-10-23 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yeah, I gotta agree with Salty on this one... both the first and second sentences.  

Yes, stick with the chocolate PB candy.
2013-10-23 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

oh! and just so you know, I made the appointment over the phone, so the receptionist was not looking at me when she asked :)

OK,  I have a suggestion for you.  Try not to eat anything with sugar for 24 hours, or even 12 hours.  Get something with salt and meat (or some other kind of protein), but really tri to avoid sugar in all its various forms. 

Like a romaine salad with blue cheese and slices of grilled steak or something like that.  I have been exactly where you are post-race, and it was my body literally revolting against sugar. And it was salt that brought me back in check.  But I have a salt(y) thing;)

YMMV.

2013-10-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, the consistency and presentation were less than appetizing, but I managed to finish itwww.thechiaco.com.au/product/podmang06ozcp

Edited by rrrunner 2013-10-23 2:23 PM
2013-10-23 2:21 PM

User image

Seattle

OK,  I have a suggestion for you.  Try not to eat anything with sugar for 24 hours, or even 12 hours.  Get something with salt and meat (or some other kind of protein), but really tri to avoid sugar in all its various forms. 

Like a romaine salad with blue cheese and slices of grilled steak or something like that.  I have been exactly where you are post-race, and it was my body literally revolting against sugar. And it was salt that brought me back in check.  But I have a salt(y) thing

YMMV.

Yeah, real food! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440