Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2008-09-05 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
The HIM is on 10/12 and Los Banos is off the I-5 about an hour south of Sacramento, so inland. It is a lake swim 1 lap. They state in the intro junk that they expect you to be able to finish it in 6 hours and that at 7.5 hours they will start packing things up and shutting down the site.

I doubt the pool will be finished before the end of October, so I will be doing swims only on the weekend probly in very cold mountain spring fed pond/lakes (70 ish mile drive).

Hrm biggest accomplishment was finishing my first Oly strong with learning how to swim freestyle only the month before (June). And bricks after a 33/56 mile bike ride. And losing 40 + pounds (9 percent body fat! and size 32 inch waste.)

Biggest struggle, maintaining goals that are challenging without stretching myself too far, like today I have to drop my swim for a rest day because lastnight I just ran out of gas.

The big challenge currently is the HIM coming up.

Then, I will need to improve my swim over the next 6 months, and try to get faster in all 3 events to improve on a HIM time that I haven't done yet.

2008-09-05 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
and for those of you who didn't get enough of Tracy's self portrait phot the first time around

(Tracy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tracy.jpg (99KB - 20 downloads)
2008-09-05 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Alright... What am I proud of this year?  For me completing the Ironman was great, but BEING SMART during the race was more important for me.  Having to walk at the start is very hard when everyone is cheering you on.... I stuck to my guns, and that made a good race for me.. A good day!

Failure:  I don't ever like to thing I failed at something... I like to think I have room to do better.... I was really disappointed after my 1/2 Ironman in July.  I was not a smart racer that day, and paid the price.... I was also dissapointed about some of my workouts this year, but those are decisions that I made on my own..... SO SHAME ON ME!!!

This weekend....  CLIMBING MT. ADAMS.  I will leave tomorrow morning, camp on the mountain, get up at sunrise, and push for the summit... 12276 feet high... THE WEATHER IS SUPPOSED TO BE UNREAL.. HOPING FOR GOOD PICTURES, and SOME GOOD FUN!

(MtAdamsCloseup.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MtAdamsCloseup.jpg (43KB - 18 downloads)
2008-09-05 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1653340

User image

Expert
B'ham

Good topic Steve, it's nice to take a look back at our accomplishments rather than always focusing on where we need to improve.

The best thing that has happened to me since joining this group is finding out my wife is pregnant again.  We had an ultrasound today and everything looks great.

On the exercise front, my biggest success would be fathering a child :P  Actually I'd say my second triathlon is the one I'm more proud of.  I went into the race lacking confidence, less than healthy and actually considered not racing right up to the pre-race meeting.  Instead I donned the wetsuit, swam a little crooked and then raced the plan I had in my head - not too hard on the bike and avoid cramping.  I'm also proud of how far my running has come and have registered for a half marathon this month.

My biggest failure would have to be not being as proactive on the job hunt as I should be.  I'm really lacking satisfaction in my current job, but am not really doing much about it.

Six months from now I'll be trying to bank as much sleep as I can because kiddo number 2 is due in six months, two weeks.  Aside from that, I hope to have maintained my fitness level through the rainy season and be picking out races for the year.

This weekend I'm running 9 miles tomorrow, then off to the Farmer's Market, nap time and then my god-daughter's 3rd birthday.  And Sunday is church and then FOOTBALL!!!!

Peace,

Matt

2008-09-05 11:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Matt I have 5 kids. Sleep is something you just get when you get it. So your wife was totally turned on by your manly abs now that you are a trim Triathlete. Ya mine doesn't seem to have noticed either. Well not in the way men would like their wives to notice. Grats on number 2, try to get the first one out of the bedroom before the 2nd one is born 8).

No idea what I am going to get done tommorrow. It all depends on how much I recouped on my slacker day today. Sunday should be a 13 mile run if I am at all feeling ok. Nothing is sore per sey, just was completely spent lastnight at the beginning of the run. Oh well night all.
2008-09-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1653340

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
swbkrun - 2008-09-05 3:04 PM

EVERYONE!!! I WANT EVERYONE TO TAKE A SECOND AND TALK ABOUT THEMSELVES FOR ONCE.....

What was your greatest success since you started in this group?  Greatest Failure?  Where do you see yourself 6 months from now?

More importantly.... What are you doing this weekend!

We often spend time on this forum talking about others, and their issues/success/zits, etc... Talk about yourselfs for once!  Let's hear it!

Greatest success so far was taking 2nd in my AG, it felt really good to see myself getting faster after all the hard work this summer.

Greatest failure was the tri the following weekend where I took 28 minutes to swim 750M and was so bummed + tired I just sucked the entire tri.

That week was a real thrill of victory, agony of defeat type thing.

6 months from now I should be getting ready for the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, and hopefully have my season planned out (trying to be a bit more organized)

This weekend I am dodging hurricanes and hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) flying to Disney World with the family, I will hopefully be back on Wednesday if we can dodge the other hurricane, then get up early, lots of work for 9/11 around here in DC, especially where I work, then my birthday the next day, so yes you have about a week of shopping days to get me a presentLaughing.

Some suggestions if you were wonering.

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P32009

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/detail.php?ID=22

http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp

http://www.quarq.us/Spiders/CinQo.html

2008-09-06 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1654820

User image

Champion

Also OT but since Matt brought it up, who are we all rooting for?

Pro FB, Seahawks

College FB Virginia Tech (though my jersey might still be out in the front yard from where I threw it after last saturday)

2008-09-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1654820

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

then my birthday the next day, so yes you have about a week of shopping days to get me a presentLaughing.

Some suggestions if you were wonering.

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P32009

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/detail.php?ID=22

http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp

http://www.quarq.us/Spiders/CinQo.html

ha ha ha, that's great.  My birthday is the beginning of October so I'll take one of whatever you get. 

And I'm cheering for the Jayhawks, Maryland Terps, and Washington Redskins - even though 2 of the three suck! 

Speaking of my Jayhawks, I learned that several of our players that went pro last year were busted at the Rookie training camp where they teach you the league's rules on drugs, women, alcohol, etc.  These knuckle heads were busted having a party at the camp with women, booze and dope in their room.  I can just hear them now, "what, you mean we can't do this?"    What a group of Dickwads!

Edited by tahrens 2008-09-06 8:40 AM
2008-09-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1654821

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2008-09-06 5:16 AM

Pro FB, Seahawks

College FB Virginia Tech (though my jersey might still be out in the front yard from where I threw it after last saturday)

GO HAWKS!  Even from Virgina... That is awsome!

College Ball... WSU Cougs, and Florida Gators! (Old home state!-- The Canes are a bunch of thugs.. No thanks!)..

2008-09-06 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1654897

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2008-09-06 10:23 AM
dalessit - 2008-09-06 5:16 AM

Pro FB, Seahawks

GO HAWKS!  Even from Virgina... That is awsome!

College Ball... WSU Cougs, and Florida Gators! (Old home state!-- The Canes are a bunch of thugs.. No thanks!)..

0 - 9 lived in Olympia, then moved to VA.  All my relatives on my Dad's side are seahawks fans, we all lived there at one point, only my Uncle and cousins left there now though.

I have been wondering if I can wear my Jim Zorn jersey to Redskins games now without getting stuff thrown at me.

2008-09-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1654821

User image

Expert
B'ham

NFL = Go Seahawks and whoever is on my FF team.  Wear that Jim Zorn jersey with pride.  I'm still rockin the Mack Strong jersey, but may have to spring for a Peterson or Tatupu jersey this year.

College - I don't really have a team.  I went to a small school (Div I-AA), so we don't get much air time (if ever).  Locally I'd probably say I'm more interested in UW now that they have one of our local kids at QB.

Maybe next year we should organize a BT Fantasy Football league.

2008-09-06 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1655187

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2008-09-06 3:39 PM

NFL = Go Seahawks and whoever is on my FF team.  Wear that Jim Zorn jersey with pride.  I'm still rockin the Mack Strong jersey, but may have to spring for a Peterson or Tatupu jersey this year.

College - I don't really have a team.  I went to a small school (Div I-AA), so we don't get much air time (if ever).  Locally I'd probably say I'm more interested in UW now that they have one of our local kids at QB.

Maybe next year we should organize a BT Fantasy Football league.

HEHE we have one in the Virginia forum.

2008-09-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1655237

User image

Expert
B'ham
Hmm, the Washington forum is pretty slow, pretty much just used for "who's doing <insert race name here>?"
2008-09-07 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
I'm a die hard Raiders fan even though they have been beyond sucking the past lots and lots of years. Picked them up when Jim Plunkett was the QB and I lived out west.
2008-09-08 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Good morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend.
On Sunday I had a great run. Light rain but just enough to keep me cool. I ran 13 Km which is the farthest I have EVER run at one time and did it in 80 minutes which is just under 10 min/mile. No screaming hell for speed but I was very comfortable. No stopping for breathing and even threw in a few sprints. Unfortunately I now seem to have a little issue with pain on the outside of my left knee. When I sit for a while it seizes up and I have to painfully hobble around a bit to loosen it up. I had a crappy slepp because everytime I turned over I woke up. It was painful enough that it affected my swim today also in that I found I was really only kicking with my right leg. I hope that clears up soon as I still have to do a solid weeks training for my next tri in 2 weeks. I'll probably go to my chiropractor tomorrow morning as he is super with this kind of stuff.
2008-09-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1657541

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

That's awesome Rob, great job.  Do you think the cause of your knee pain could be your shoes?  You only seem to be having this pain after running?  

2008-09-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1657671

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
tahrens - 2008-09-08 10:19 AM

That's awesome Rob, great job.  Do you think the cause of your knee pain could be your shoes?  You only seem to be having this pain after running?  

My shoes could be getting a little old now. I bought them early this year and have put a lot of miles on them. I think it might have been running as far as I did though. THis is the first time I have had this type of knee pain. I'll know a little more once I see the chiropractor tomorrow.
2008-09-08 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya shoe life is usualy 300 ish miles, depending on the brand. Also if you ran on a different surface or slant than usual, that can affect stress on your body.

I found after reading a lot that for longer runs (anything over 6 miles really) I ice my knees down my shins to my feet. I had a run of shin splints back about 10 months ago and since I have started doing this no shin issues.

If you have been increasing your bike work as well, your seat could be too low. When I upped my bike mileage I found that the guys who "fit" my bike were um not any good at it and the seat was litterally 1 inch too low. This resulted in more stress on my knees and some overuse issues that have resolved with getting a better adjustment to my seat hight.

I also use Five Finger shoes to help with running form. As with most runners when I got into the sport I did alot of heal strike type running. By using some form of flats or barefoot running you move from a heal strike to landing with the pad (just behind your toes) first a smidge before your heal, allowing for the arche of your foot to absorb the inpact rather than your knee. By shifting your landing from your heal to the pad of your foot you are supposed to be able to reduce the impact on your knees by 50 percent ish. If you also run on a treadmill some of the time that has a 30 to 60 percent shock absorption you can further reduce impact on your knees when they are bothering you.

When I started swimming more, even though I use basically no propulsive kick, (Total immersion swimming) I still found it to have an impact on my legs on muscles I did not expect to be affected.

Lastely, is the knee pain between the bones, behind the knee, inside or outside of the knee? The stress point could indicate where the problem is in your training (if any).

In any case hope you get that under control. You may need to take a couple days off and let them heal up for ya.

Edited by Baowolf 2008-09-08 9:36 AM
2008-09-08 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Thanks for the info Steve. What are Five Finger shoes? Just a brand or a different type of shoe?
2008-09-08 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Redknight - 2008-09-08 6:20 AM Good morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend. On Sunday I had a great run. Light rain but just enough to keep me cool. I ran 13 Km which is the farthest I have EVER run at one time and did it in 80 minutes which is just under 10 min/mile. No screaming hell for speed but I was very comfortable. No stopping for breathing and even threw in a few sprints. Unfortunately I now seem to have a little issue with pain on the outside of my left knee. When I sit for a while it seizes up and I have to painfully hobble around a bit to loosen it up. I had a crappy slepp because everytime I turned over I woke up. It was painful enough that it affected my swim today also in that I found I was really only kicking with my right leg. I hope that clears up soon as I still have to do a solid weeks training for my next tri in 2 weeks. I'll probably go to my chiropractor tomorrow morning as he is super with this kind of stuff.

Great job!  I too had my longest run this weekend.

2008-09-08 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1657818

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
cadmus - 2008-09-08 11:05 AM

Great job!  I too had my longest run this weekend.

Way to go Matt

Steve: how did the mountain climb go?

2008-09-08 10:12 AM

User image

Pro

Redknight - 2008-09-08 6:20 AM Good morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend. On Sunday I had a great run. Light rain but just enough to keep me cool. I ran 13 Km which is the farthest I have EVER run at one time and did it in 80 minutes which is just under 10 min/mile. No screaming hell for speed but I was very comfortable. No stopping for breathing and even threw in a few sprints. Unfortunately I now seem to have a little issue with pain on the outside of my left knee. When I sit for a while it seizes up and I have to painfully hobble around a bit to loosen it up. I had a crappy slepp because everytime I turned over I woke up. It was painful enough that it affected my swim today also in that I found I was really only kicking with my right leg. I hope that clears up soon as I still have to do a solid weeks training for my next tri in 2 weeks. I'll probably go to my chiropractor tomorrow morning as he is super with this kind of stuff.

Congrats on the accomplishment!  You have come along way... Definitely check out your shoes (check the wear and tear on the bottom), and think back to how long ago you bought them... Here is a good link to some common knee problem!

2008-09-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1657839

User image

Expert
B'ham
Not to question our fearless leader, but in talking to an employee at the LRS she said visible wear and tear isn't necessarily indicitive of needing replacements.  The part of the shoe that breaks down and causes injury is the midsole, which can't be seen and that's why it is important to track mileage and replace accordingly.  She also said that the mileage from wearing them as street shoes causes wear as much as running, making mileage hard to track if you wear your running shoes for more than just running.
2008-09-08 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
I dont think I have that much mileage on my shoes I only use them for tri's and training. That is why I thought of the chiropractor first. I have about 150 miles of running on them so I don't think they would be worn out yet. (I think the guy at the running store said they should be good for about 300 miles or so.) I use these shoes only sparingly for biking. Usually only if I am going to do a brick because I dont have bicycling shoes yet and probably won't go there until I can get a tri bike.

That was a good article Steve.

Sounds like I need to do some more investigation into this or maybe it will just go away. Doesn't happen often that these things just go away (their not like zits) but because I haven't experienced it before I might have caught it early and be able to fix the problem quickly.

I'll see what tomorrow brings as it will be a biking day for me and then maybe a rest on Wednesday when I have to golf in a company tournament. ( will be using a cart that day) What a rough life I have
2008-09-08 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
my 2cents on the life of running shoes.  I too was expecting longer life out of my shoes, but ended up replacing then after MAYBE 200 miles.  After the 3rd occurance of blisters on toes, pain running down the bottom of my pinkie toe to the arch, and achy (sp) knees I decided to try replacing the shoes.  It worked - no more pain.   My personal explanation was that because I was new to running my technique wasn't the best and I was stressing my foot strike = my shoes more than usual. My old shoes still look brand new and I now wear them for my walking shoes.   I assume you were properly fitted for your running shoes at a trained running store, correct?  That makes a HUGE difference as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78