General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4445887

New user

Cooksville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

The metric is a somewhat realistic gauge.  My first IM was IMFL last year and I finished in 12:54.  My Half IM time earlier in the year at Eagleman (similar course) was 6:10.  So 2 times plus a 1/2 hour worked.

I believe the key to this metric is to train properly and stay within your projected/goal pace for each discipine - even if you feel you can go faster.  This is particularly true for the swim and bike.  Coming out of the swim fresh and not tired will help you on the bike.  Keeping a smooth high cadence on the bike (and not mashing gears) will leave you the legs you need to do the run.  If you have a lot left in the tank on the run - go for it!

Stay in your zone and run your race - during the race and leading up to it.  I remember watching people train on the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday before the race and they were going a lot harder and longer than than I was at that point.  I seriously questioned my preparation after seeing this.  After a talk with my coach, I felt better.  He assured me that I was ready and not to even look at the other athletes.  He was correct in that I had no idea what their training had been or what their race goals were.

I kept this attiutude on race day as well.  I stayed in my world and raced my race.  I didn't follow any bike breakaways or get out of my run/walk plan on the marathon.  My goal was to break 13 hours and mission accomplished.

2012-10-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4448791

User image

I had a friend who did it in I think 2002 and people were barfing in the water.  This disturbs me.  I get seasick on a boat but never have in a OWS. I plan on coming to the practice swim on TH and also hope to get in for a bit Friday as well.  Just not grasping where the meeting point it.

Thanks for the insight

2012-10-11 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4449458

User image

I wear my same ensemble the whole day.  I am not a fan of a big pad in shorts so always train in tri shorts.  Pretty stinky by the end of the day but I agree with Socks.  Try to get a sports bra on when you have a wet body - it rolls up all funny and takes forever to get it right - plus then you transistion is so much longer. In and out
2012-10-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4444244

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
NeverEnough - 2012-10-07 3:40 PM

I will be volunteering this year, so I can hopefully get a spot for 2013.  Anyone do this last year so they could do it this year?  If so, any tips?  Where do I go to sign up?  What time should I get there?  etc. etc.  I will be down there solo this week, so if anyone needs help....let me know and I would be glad to help out.

Anyone swimming Friday?  I was hoping to find a couple of people to swim with on Friday since I will be down there?

Also, is there a Facebook page where people are conversing re: IMFL?

Good luck to everyone!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/340100136073295/366693726747269/?comment_id=366949290055046&notif_t=group_activity

2012-10-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

hmmm, i was planning to do a full change in T1 for the following reasons. thoughts?

1) i only got to practice in my wet suit once this summer during a 1.5 mi OWS race. at the time, i wore my bathing suit. since i didn't wear a tri kit, i'm worried about doing that for race day since i don't know how it will feel. i guess i could wear my sports bra under my bathing suit and try that during the practice swims on thurs/fri?

2) after not being able to figure out my saddle issues all summer, and tri shorts not helping, i'm choosing comfort for the bike and wearing bike shorts.

i'm perfectly fine being in my birthday suit b/c i figure most people will be worried about themselves.  but i do agree it's hard to get into a sports bra while damp so would a smaller towel in my T1 bag fit?

2012-10-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4449606

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
KTpitbull - 2012-10-11 8:42 AM

I had a friend who did it in I think 2002 and people were barfing in the water.  This disturbs me.  I get seasick on a boat but never have in a OWS. I plan on coming to the practice swim on TH and also hope to get in for a bit Friday as well.  Just not grasping where the meeting point it.

Thanks for the insight

when you check in it will be pretty obvious.  The boardwalk beach hotel is where check in is.  There is a boardwalk behind the hotel on the beach.  We meet on the boardwalk.

2012-10-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4450008

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
DCT76 - 2012-10-11 11:25 AM

hmmm, i was planning to do a full change in T1 for the following reasons. thoughts?

1) i only got to practice in my wet suit once this summer during a 1.5 mi OWS race. at the time, i wore my bathing suit. since i didn't wear a tri kit, i'm worried about doing that for race day since i don't know how it will feel. i guess i could wear my sports bra under my bathing suit and try that during the practice swims on thurs/fri?

2) after not being able to figure out my saddle issues all summer, and tri shorts not helping, i'm choosing comfort for the bike and wearing bike shorts.

i'm perfectly fine being in my birthday suit b/c i figure most people will be worried about themselves.  but i do agree it's hard to get into a sports bra while damp so would a smaller towel in my T1 bag fit?

yes the bags are large enough for a towel. 

2012-10-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4449515

Rob_TCA - 2012-10-11 7:57 AM

The metric is a somewhat realistic gauge.  My first IM was IMFL last year and I finished in 12:54.  My Half IM time earlier in the year at Eagleman (similar course) was 6:10.  So 2 times plus a 1/2 hour worked.

I believe the key to this metric is to train properly and stay within your projected/goal pace for each discipine - even if you feel you can go faster.  This is particularly true for the swim and bike.  Coming out of the swim fresh and not tired will help you on the bike.  Keeping a smooth high cadence on the bike (and not mashing gears) will leave you the legs you need to do the run.  If you have a lot left in the tank on the run - go for it!

Stay in your zone and run your race - during the race and leading up to it.  I remember watching people train on the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday before the race and they were going a lot harder and longer than than I was at that point.  I seriously questioned my preparation after seeing this.  After a talk with my coach, I felt better.  He assured me that I was ready and not to even look at the other athletes.  He was correct in that I had no idea what their training had been or what their race goals were.

I kept this attiutude on race day as well.  I stayed in my world and raced my race.  I didn't follow any bike breakaways or get out of my run/walk plan on the marathon.  My goal was to break 13 hours and mission accomplished.

Good stuff, thanks.  My original goal was just to finish, and it still is, but naturally I wonder what my time would be if everything went well.  Just went 5:27 at Augusta 70.3, which I know doesn't have a "real" swim, so maybe add 15 min. to that, so following the doubling + 1/2 hr. rule gives me 11:50ish I think, seems really fast. 

How about the run in terms of being able to project from stand alone marathon time?  First marathon this past february was 3:53, and just did 21 mi. run this past Sun. at an 8:50 pace and that wasn't pushing it that hard, which was after a sprint race Sat. a.m. and a 112 mi. ride at a pace just under 19 mph on Friday. 

So I don't know, is sub-12 truly a reasonable expectation?  I'd be stoked with anything under 13, and happy to just cross the line.

2012-10-11 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4450382

i did the race in 2010 and my time was 12:07 (this is with 23 minutes trantision time) and never had those numbers in training you are refering to, (21 mile run at 8:50) my longest run was 18 miles broken in two, 12 mile run, 10 mile bke 6 mile run), so you are in a much better shape that i was, i will tell you that you probably will fiinsh in mid 11 hour mark.

2012-10-11 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4450382

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
JM2 - 2012-10-11 3:43 PM
Rob_TCA - 2012-10-11 7:57 AM

Good stuff, thanks.  My original goal was just to finish, and it still is, but naturally I wonder what my time would be if everything went well.  Just went 5:27 at Augusta 70.3, which I know doesn't have a "real" swim, so maybe add 15 min. to that, so following the doubling + 1/2 hr. rule gives me 11:50ish I think, seems really fast. 

How about the run in terms of being able to project from stand alone marathon time?  First marathon this past february was 3:53, and just did 21 mi. run this past Sun. at an 8:50 pace and that wasn't pushing it that hard, which was after a sprint race Sat. a.m. and a 112 mi. ride at a pace just under 19 mph on Friday. 

So I don't know, is sub-12 truly a reasonable expectation?  I'd be stoked with anything under 13, and happy to just cross the line.

I did 11:26 last year.  1:17 swim - 5:50 bike - 4:00 run plus transitions.  In training for IMFL my longest run was a 1:48 half marathon.

My logs are very complete and accurate, if you want to take a look at my training metrics last year.

For me, the biggest thing in a 140.6 race is pacing.  Its really easy to spend your pennies too early in the day and not have anything left to run (especially at IMFL where its super easy to over bike).  A 70.3 course is much more forgiving of pacing mistakes.

2012-10-11 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
2009-2011 transitions were in the hotel building part of their banquet area. They expanded the space for transitions so 2011 was the larger than prior years. I don't recall if they flip flopped men and women, but they were bigger than prior years.

2012-10-11 5:32 PM

New user

I am going to put on bike shorts due to saddle issues. I did this at half ironman hiding under a towel and wiggling, so figure this will be easier. In all tri's I have worn my sports bra under wet suit - BUT during half ironman got pretty nasty rub burns. Will super apply glide.

Had a GREAT last long run of 20 miles. Hurt during last four miles, but kept up pace. Very encouraging. Swam today, hubby observing - he noticed a couple issues, so next swim will work on those.

Feeling positive!)) Thanks for all the tips shared - I read them all!
2012-10-11 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
DCT76 - 2012-10-11 11:25 AM

Couple thoughts:

I change into bike shorts and it works just fine.  I like to wear a speedo and tri top under the wetsuit.  more comfortable for me, and I like to start with dry shorts when it's chilly in the morning.  I keep the wet tri top on, because as Sue says putting something on a wet, or even damp upper body is frustrating. 

Come prepared to go either way, and try it at the practice swims.  As far as how things feel wet, you can always try it in your shower at home.

2012-10-12 8:10 AM

Did everyone see the email from IMFL about the slightly changed run course?  It seems that part of the course through the state park has been cut short.  There is now a turnaround in the park rather than the big loop.

I assume this is probably a good thing since part participants have mentioned the park is very dark.  So, if you were planning to carry a headlamp or flashlight or something, perhaps you might not need to anymore...

2012-10-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4449515

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I used to be in this camp as well, then I read this (http://trainright.com/triathlon-training-benefits-of-high-gear-low-cadence-cycling-in-flat-triathlons/) a while ago.  I discussed it with coach/friend of mine and developed a bike training strategy geared th build strentgh and one low cadence ride (70-77 RPM) a week and to ride somewhere between 80-85 on my long rides and on race day and I have seen great improvements this year in my shorter races and in training.  The key is to make sure you cycle through thehigher gears properly, then when you get your speed up to just drop into a big gear and watch the HR drop. 

2012-10-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4451098

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
LarchmontTri - 2012-10-12 8:10 AM

Did everyone see the email from IMFL about the slightly changed run course?  It seems that part of the course through the state park has been cut short.  There is now a turnaround in the park rather than the big loop.

I assume this is probably a good thing since part participants have mentioned the park is very dark.  So, if you were planning to carry a headlamp or flashlight or something, perhaps you might not need to anymore...

What I like about it is the entire course is an out & back.  The loop in the back of the park can get desolate, but this will definitely help.

As far as changing, I will change my tri shorts in T1, then put bike shorts on top of my tri shorts.  In T2 I will remove the bike shorts but run in the same tri shorts.  I want to get out of the shorts I just swam in salt water in and re apply plenty of lube.   

2012-10-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4451497

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-12 11:44 AM

I used to be in this camp as well, then I read this (http://trainright.com/triathlon-training-benefits-of-high-gear-low-cadence-cycling-in-flat-triathlons/) a while ago.  I discussed it with coach/friend of mine and developed a bike training strategy geared th build strentgh and one low cadence ride (70-77 RPM) a week and to ride somewhere between 80-85 on my long rides and on race day and I have seen great improvements this year in my shorter races and in training.  The key is to make sure you cycle through thehigher gears properly, then when you get your speed up to just drop into a big gear and watch the HR drop. 

Adam, thanks for the article - very interesting, and makes sense to me.

2012-10-12 1:26 PM

User image

Santa Maria
Just curious to how everyone has followed their plan over the course of the last few months. I always get nervous about this time before a race and start doubting if I trained enough. So far I have missed a few workouts here and there. I took a week off for vacation early in my plan. Took another week off for being ill. On the bright side I have made all my long swims and runs. I did miss two long bikes due to being ill and my wife blowing her knee out. With that said I do have two long rides between 6.5 and 7 hours. I also have a bunch in the 3 to 5 hour range. My mileage is not that high compared to others as where I live it is always windy and has a bunch of hills. Hope everyones training is going good!
2012-10-12 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4451098

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
LarchmontTri - 2012-10-12 8:10 AM

that should help a lot.  the first 2 years I raced it was an out and back not a loop.  I will still use a head light tho because its dark in the neighborhoods and really the experinece of a porta potty in the dark with nothing but a glow stick is nothing I want to experience again thankyouverymuch

2012-10-12 2:44 PM

Just got a new Adamo saddle (road model). With just 3 weeks for the race, should I save it for after the race, or has someone experience changing to this saddle and it takes less time to adapt?

Right now I can be in aero for 6+ hours, but definitely not the best feeling after 3 hours or so...

2012-10-12 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4451817

User image

Arlington
Do you have any long rides left? I would be reluctant to change t this close to the race MAYBE if i had another long ride to test out the new saddle but seems risky to me. Your current one may not be ideal but atleast you know you can go 6 hours in aero. 

2012-10-12 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I've got the last BIG training day tomorrow:

7 hrs on the bike, 1 hour on the run, 2 hours in the pool.  If my math is right that's 10 hours.  Hope my knees hold up.  After that, it's all taper .  Whoo Hoo!

Happy training everyone.  Let's get some endorphins going.

2012-10-12 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
I would not switch my seat this late. I love my Adamo but it took me weeks to get used to it. Wasn't pleasant right off the bat.
2012-10-13 10:32 AM

User image

New user

Cary, NC

Hi all, can't believe we are down to 3 weeks !! Did my last 100m bike yesterday and officially start taper today  I have loved reading all of the amazing hints - tips and tricks from this thread and look forward to seeing you in FL

Read a bunch of posts about headlamps for those of us who may be running most of the marathon in the dark and was concerned re the weight on my head/bobbing around etc.

I have to share that I just found the most awesome little light at REI

Its from Amphipod -called a swift clip cap light.  It weighs only ounces and i can clip it to my race belt before I need it on my visor.  It has 2 LEDS and I used it last night and it casts just enough light to light my footing area without blinding those looking at me.  

http://www.rei.com/product/842486/amphipod-swift-clip-cap-light and only $14 

Good luck to everyone and good thoughts for calm seas and good weather

2012-10-13 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

113m ride this morning (had to outbike the Kona folks today) followed by 7m run.  Actually felt great.  Got a 20m run and recovery ride tomorrow then let the taper begin!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64