BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-03-10 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
Congrats everyone on the weight loss and the races and everything else that happened while I was gone. (It was only a few days, but it felt like forever.)

I'll just update my weight next Friday with everyone else. Traveling was not good for my eating habits. Plus tomorrow is elder daughter's birthday which means cake. But by Friday I should have those things counteracted.

Went for a nice run yesterday and a bike ride today - taking advantage of the gorgeous weather here. Too bad it's going to be gone in another day, but since I'm on spring break this coming week, I'm going to get a trail run tomorrow afternoon.

2013-03-10 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4653941

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
amschrod - 2013-03-10 5:42 PM

Did my HM today and I'm happy with the results. My goal was 2:15, and I finished in 2:15:01, so right on target. Faded a little around mile 12 which I expected since my volume was down and my longest training run was only 10 miles, but I still was able to finish well. Ended up being a perfect day; bright sunshine and about 40 degrees, so being able to run in shorts and t-shirt was a pleasure. Not bad considering Friday we had about 8 inches of snow. A great day on a pretty and challenging course.

QueenZipp - 2013-03-10 3:01 PM

Getting to perfect riding weather.  A bit windy but just the right temperature and plenty of sunshine.  

Pure awesomeness.

Since I'll be more bike focused now I'm hoping for some warmer weather. Still a little chilly in the mornings here, but Spring will be here soon.

Rachel, the math for me is easy since I stayed at 200 this week. Would have helped to have a little less weight to drag up those hills today!

Congratulations on nailing your pace!!
2013-03-10 11:53 PM
in reply to: #4653941

User image

amschrod - 2013-03-10 4:42 PM

Did my HM today and I'm happy with the results. My goal was 2:15, and I finished in 2:15:01, so right on target. Faded a little around mile 12 which I expected since my volume was down and my longest training run was only 10 miles, but I still was able to finish well. Ended up being a perfect day; bright sunshine and about 40 degrees, so being able to run in shorts and t-shirt was a pleasure. Not bad considering Friday we had about 8 inches of snow. A great day on a pretty and challenging course.

Way to go !

2013-03-11 12:29 AM

User image

I was able to finally try out a popular canyon bike trail with a few tri friends today.  It's a popular training route due to its hilly nature. When the fellas described the route as " challenging ", I knew I was in for a treat. It took me about 30 min to climb the first hill...then it became rolling hills with a few nice downhill sections that made me a bit nervous. It has a nice wide bike lane but sometimes narrows within the fast 2 lane road. The whole time I was going downhill I was thinking about the ride back, lol.  We made the turnaround back...had one more nasty hill at the end then downhill til the end. This route overlaps some of the bike portion of my upcoming oly tri  so I'll will likely be there for most of my long bike rides for the next 2 months. I guess I should be grateful to live close to a nice but painful training spot =)

Edited by Tri2Smile 2013-03-11 1:27 AM
2013-03-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4654373

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Tri2Smile - 2013-03-11 1:29 AM I was able to finally try out a popular canyon bike trail with a few tri friends today.  It's a popular training route due to its hilly nature. When the fellas described the route as " challenging ", I knew I was in for a treat. It took me about 30 min to climb the first hill...then it became rolling hills with a few nice downhill sections that made me a bit nervous. It has a nice wide bike lane but sometimes narrows within the fast 2 lane road. The whole time I was going downhill I was thinking about the ride back, lol.  We made the turnaround back...had one more nasty hill at the end then downhill til the end. This route overlaps some of the bike portion of my upcoming oly tri  so I'll will likely be there for most of my long bike rides for the next 2 months. I guess I should be grateful to live close to a nice but painful training spot =)

Sounds like a tough ride!  Fun but hard race course.....good times Wink

2013-03-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4653764

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
QueenZipp - 2013-03-10 8:01 PM

Getting to perfect riding weather.  A bit windy but just the right temperature and plenty of sunshine.  

Pure awesomeness.

We were getting to that kind of weather.  Then the snow and hail returned.  It's been bitterly cold this weekend, and combined with this being my least favourite weekend in our shift rotation I've appreciated having some rest time.

Today I went and tried out a couple more tri bikes.  I think I've made my final decision now, and should be in a position to order it in a couple of weeks (photos will be posted when available!).

I'll now be gone for a couple of days.  I'm going skiing for the first time in 3 years and I'm literally so excited I couldn't sleep last night.  I have to get up at 4.30am tomorrow to get to the meeting point on time, so it's likely I'm going to have a similar night tonight...  I'm just hoping I can remember what I'm doing!

2013-03-11 7:25 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Chilly 3.57mi run this afternoon for me. After a few really beautiful days, we jumped back into winter...ugh. Getting more and more convinced that I'm a morning person. Consistently, if I don't workout in the morning and do it in the afternoon instead, the workout is worse than I expect it should be. I know everyone has a bad day once in a while, but this is too consistent for that. I guess I'm lucky races start in the morning!
2013-03-11 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4653938

User image

Expert
Ontario
Fred D - 2013-03-10 5:38 PM
cathyd - 2013-03-07 11:36 AM

I posted this in TT but will also ask here :

I finally got my bike set up on the trainer a couple weeks ago and have done a few short easy rides - started with 20 minutes, then 25, longest was 30 minutes  last Friday.  Last night I got on the bike and almost immediately had pain in my left knee and down my lower leg to my ankle.  I tried changing the angle of my foot slightly but it didn't help and I ended the ride after 10 minutes.  Today the knee is still achey.  I've never had knee pain on the bike before and have had this bike since 2007.  I had a fit when I bought it and again when I put on aerobars the second year.

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing that could suddenly cause me to have knee pain on the bike?

Can you tell me exactly where in the knee it hurts. Front, back, side, above, below knee etc?
It was weird pain, it was the entire knee, front back and sides and down the lower leg, really achey, not sharp. After a day off I rode with no pain the next day. Then on sunday I rode 35 minutes and some discomfort, again involvimg the whole knee at about the 20 minute mark but only lasted a few minutes then was gone. I am nervous to run because of it, although i've only had this happen on the bike so far. The past few years I've been sidelined by injury a lot so it makes me nervous when anything hurts.
2013-03-12 9:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Spent my morning in the pool, which is so much nicer now that the swim team is done for the season!  Now I can get to the pool early and not have to worry about swimming in the diving well.  I did 2000yds today, mostly crawl, although I did a couple of sets of pull too.  It was a bad start, but after 10 or so minutes my legs loosened up and I was off to the (turtle) races.

Later, I'm going to try to head out for a short beginning of the season hike with the dogs.  I just have to hope the weather holds and I finish the draft of my article--hike is the carrot at the end of the article stick for today.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

2013-03-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4655825

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

drfoodlove - 2013-03-11 7:25 PM Chilly 3.57mi run this afternoon for me. After a few really beautiful days, we jumped back into winter...ugh. Getting more and more convinced that I'm a morning person. Consistently, if I don't workout in the morning and do it in the afternoon instead, the workout is worse than I expect it should be. I know everyone has a bad day once in a while, but this is too consistent for that. I guess I'm lucky races start in the morning!

I used to feel the same way, until I started doing two a days.  For me, the key was making sure that I concentrated on the right nutrition to fuel that second workout AND getting into the right frame of mind before I started.  Now I can ride in the morning, do a run later in the day and feel confident that i can deliver on that second effort. 

2013-03-12 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Getting back into the routine, but it's hard since I'm on spring break. I think that whole "getting up early to get a workout in" thing will have to wait until next week!

2013-03-12 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4657125

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4656053

2013-03-12 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4655621

2013-03-12 11:46 PM

Expert

I don't know about you all, but I'm having a really rough time with the time change!  I barely got the kids up and to school this morning, and was so short on time I skipped breakfast (Not Good when running a daily calorie deficit, I'll tell ya!).  

I did have a great run though, sunny and 70ish today Cool   now the kids are tucked in, I'm done eating for the night, think I'll just go to bed early so I don't do something stupid in the kitchen...

2013-03-13 11:31 AM

Champion
Went for a nice little lunch time run...and back to Masters tonight...hopefully I can keep up after being away for a week & a half w/ travel and V's birthday.

2013-03-13 4:15 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Something sweet is happening with my run pace.  I have been holding an average 8:41-8:50 for a week now.  Not complaining at all, in fact I am just sitting here scratching my head trying to sort out how my body has gotten the hang of speed after all this time.  Now to hold on for another monght so I can kick some butt at the 10K (even in my costume)
2013-03-13 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4658691

2013-03-13 7:34 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Friends,

I waited for a few days after illness/lawyers/general trouble before posting this, but I think that, realistically, I have to say that while I'm not completely bowing out, you should assume that I'm mostly gone.  I just do not have time to come here, and frankly I feel really awful that some are diligently looking in on me (but thanks!) while I barely have time even to notice.  I will not say that I am gone for good, but I just cannot justify spending more than a tiny amount of time here with so much else going on that -- despite the awesomeness that I find in the good mentor groups on BT -- is more pressing.  I hope to look in sometimes, and I will certainly continue to train (if you are ever in my area, please feel free to get in touch for some training -- my contact info is just a click or two away from my profile) but I will not be checking in regularly, at least for the foreseeable future.

I wish you all the best, in training, tri, and life.

--Michael

2013-03-14 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4658872

Carbondale, Illinois
Experior - 2013-03-13 7:34 PM

Friends,

I waited for a few days after illness/lawyers/general trouble before posting this, but I think that, realistically, I have to say that while I'm not completely bowing out, you should assume that I'm mostly gone.  I just do not have time to come here, and frankly I feel really awful that some are diligently looking in on me (but thanks!) while I barely have time even to notice.  I will not say that I am gone for good, but I just cannot justify spending more than a tiny amount of time here with so much else going on that -- despite the awesomeness that I find in the good mentor groups on BT -- is more pressing.  I hope to look in sometimes, and I will certainly continue to train (if you are ever in my area, please feel free to get in touch for some training -- my contact info is just a click or two away from my profile) but I will not be checking in regularly, at least for the foreseeable future.

--Michael

Hoping that whatever is going on comes to a smooth and positive conclusion. 

2013-03-14 9:14 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

Swim success this morning!  I had a generally awesome swim, starting with getting plopped down right in the middle of the Masters class lane three, despite not being a member of the group.  The coach saw me coming out of the locker room near the beginning of the class and told me to get in a specific lane that was empty (Spring Break=empty Masters class lanes apparently!), instead of having to go to the shallow end of the pool. 

Anyway, I had already decided that today was going to be my very first speed workout in the pool.  And this is the story of how I died a little in the pool.  No, in all seriousness it was the best workout I've had in the pool in a long time.  After warmup I did sets of 50 as fast as I could without breaking form, followed by rest, and then a 100 'recovery' set at normal pace.  It was great!  I really feel like I had a hard workout.  I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but when I was doing the recovery 100s it seemed harder to keep form than when I was doing the fast sets. 

Hoping the sun comes out and warms the joint up today.  I'm scheduled for a bike session this afternoon and I'd really, really like to be able to do it outside.

2013-03-14 1:52 PM

Expert

Michael - best of wishes dealing with whatever comes your way!

Gretchen - great to hear of the success in the pool!  Hope the weather holds for you tonight.

I had a little slip up last night in my attempt to be vegetarian.  I bought a hot dog from the snack shack at my daughter's softball game, and was 1/2 way through eating it when my other daughter so subtly says, "hey dad, I didn't know hot dogs have no meat in them.  Cool!"  smartass...  I totally didn't even realize what I was doing, just complete habit.  At a game, buy a hot dog...  oh well.  It sure was good. Laughing

Anyway, I'm completely over whatever I was sick with last week, had a few good runs in the sun, and am looking forward to a good weekend.  I'm probably taking today off training as it's a short school day and I've already wasted most of the morning, and there's softball and basketball games tonight for the girls to go to.  Have a great day!

2013-03-14 1:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Experior - 2013-03-13 7:34 PM

Friends,

--Michael

Hope everything works out Michael; and that we see you back here soon.

2013-03-14 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Sorry I've been MIA lately.  I'm up in NYC all week for work.  I will miss the weigh in tomorrow morning and spending all week with alumni at the Big East tournament won't be kind to my numbers.  I'm getting some good running in during the mornings in central park, and some downtime in my hotel room to stretch.  I sure miss my wife and kid though :/
2013-03-14 4:20 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Experior - 2013-03-13 8:34 PM

Friends,

--Michael

Michael,

I hope the circumstances in your life work toward a quick and acceptable solution for you.  Hang in  there and feel free to visit whenever you have a moment of sanity.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64