BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-04 9:45 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1
Originally posted by kaburns1214
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 Wow, nice job to the racers. There's some speedsters in this group! I actually do wear gloves. If I don't I will have a numb/ tingling thumb and pinky finger for a few days after a ride. I'm guessing that isn't healthy, hence gloves. This Saturday I rode from Plattsburgh - Lake Placid for a total of 77 miles. I was SO glad to get a decent ride in until.... I looked at my garmin. I jut don't get it. My weekly TT's have me around 17.x, which I know is slow for some, but for me I'm happy with it. I stretch out to a long ride, and I become a lame donkey with a gimpy hip. I'm SO frustrated. On top of it, I think I had heatstroke as I just felt really nauseous and had a headache. Ggggrrr so frustrating. I also struggled again with nutrition. I want to try something other than bonk breakers. By the second hour I didn't want to eat anything. I know someone mentioned skratch labs, so I'm looking into that. Do you use just their products or supplement them with something else?

Lame as in you fall off to what?

How much did you drink?   Any salt tabs?  The issue with bonk breakers is that they ave 4g of fiber and 7g of protein.  Both promote satiety and slow digestion, so I have no doubt you didn't want to eat.  Over the course of a six hour ride I would eat a bar (preferrably one with less PRO and fiber) in the first hour and then switch to gels (even naturalish ones like Honey Stinger if need be) because they get you the cals and clear out of your stomach.  Maybe take in a second bar to kick off the last 3 hours.  This makes sure you have plenty of time to clear the solids by the time you hit the run.

Skratch is great for the hydration, but it won't give you enough cals without some help from somewhere else.

Or you can always go Infinit and get all your needs out of a liquid.  You just have to figure out the concentration ratio.

A couple of questions and thoughts: 1. You need to drink (and you really should use a sports drink with Carbs and sodium -- you're looking at a bottle that has 240 calories and 600mg of sodium per 24 oz -- if you want to use Skratch that means three scoops per 24oz water bottle, if you're using Perform its three scoops as well). On AVERAGE you loose about 32 oz fluid / hour and 600-1200mg of sodium, if its hot, this goes up very quickly. Getting just 5% dehydrated starts to lead to massive performance decreases. While you may not "like" drinking, you can train your body to do so and it will have a big positive effect on your race on race day. 2. The tingling pinky finger may be Bell's palsy -- its actually fairly common for cyclists. It also may be that your hands are swelling due to electrolyte imbalance and that's cutting off circulation. 3. If you are going to use a Bonk Breaker bar (and Scott laready pointed out the portein-fat-fiber issues with them), so so early in the bike and then switch to something more easily digested (such as gels). I like Power Gels because they have 200 mg of sodium per gel. 4. When you train what do you use as your governor (e.g. HR, power, speed, RPE)? When you race, how do you pace? 5. When is the last time you had your bike fit?
I think I am switching to real food instead of sports stuff. It just seems to sit better in my stomach. I had a bike fit (Fitwerx) when I first got my bike (June last year) and have had it tweaked several times since then. I don't love it. I feel it still pulls a little in my shoulder, but I don't know if that is just me being a baby or if it's actually wrong. Through the course of the ride (7 hours) I took in 9 liquid bottles - mostly water. (93 degree heat). I'm not sure if this was too much, but I was SO hot, I just wanted to drink. After the ride I couldn't stop pee'ing so I'm guessing I overdid it? Before the ride I took 1 elixir tablet. I didn't know there was a common thing with the cyclist's fingers. That's good to know, though. I wish I could get rid of it as it can be tingling for days. I train with HR. When I race, I also go by HR.

Too much water?  Yeah probably.  Too much liquid?  No.  How much salt were you taking in?  On hot days you need both liquid and salt.  If you take in too much water and not enough salt over the course of a hot IM you will end up with hyponatremia.  Basically you take in water (no sodium) while sweating out sodium and you will dilute the sodium levels in your blood.  This is very dangerous and can result in seizures and death. 

The official coaching company for IMTX had a pro panel meeting for their athletes.  The one piece of advice that struck most AG'ers as odd was to not drink water, EVER, during IMTX.  That you couldn't take in enough Perform.  I've had the same advice relayed to me by the nutritionists at the Memorial Hermann Ironman Institute.  Just food for thought.

2013-06-05 6:37 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Finished up my 1:45 run this morning, walked into the kitchen, and my husband said, "how'd the Wednesday half marathon go?" LOL It really sounded funny to me.

The blister on my toe really started to bug me around the 1 hour mark. Need to heal up this bad boy quickly. I also tweaked my left groin muscle on the trails during Sunday's race so there's that. Piriformis on right side is nagging at me as well. All in all I feel like a total disaster at this moment. Good thing I'm going to be sitting on my butt for the rest of the day (music performance, swim team meeting, etc.).
2013-06-05 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jarvy01 Thoughts on swapping cassettes for 11-28 for MT? I've been reading all I can about the course and I'm scared I will run out of gears. Is this something my LBS will carry? Or do I need to buy one online?

Not a bad idea and yes your LBS should carry one.  If not Shimano cassettes are cheap on Nashbar.com

Is there one in particular you'd recommend, Scott? I really don't know that much about bike components. I bought Zinn and the Art of the Triathlon Bike and so far it's doing nothing but collecting dust on my counter.
2013-06-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by jarvy01 Thoughts on swapping cassettes for 11-28 for MT? I've been reading all I can about the course and I'm scared I will run out of gears. Is this something my LBS will carry? Or do I need to buy one online?

Not a bad idea and yes your LBS should carry one.  If not Shimano cassettes are cheap on Nashbar.com

Is there one in particular you'd recommend, Scott? I really don't know that much about bike components. I bought Zinn and the Art of the Triathlon Bike and so far it's doing nothing but collecting dust on my counter.

Honestly you can't go wrong with Shimano or SRAM products here.  Depending on how much you think you'll use it I'd go Ultegra (use it a lot) or 105(use it a little). 

Pretty good price here:  http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_502318_-1___202424...

2013-06-05 7:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So glad my kids have become accustomed to sleeping through the sound of my trainer.  An hour of low cadence intervals today. 
2013-06-05 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Light week this week before race on Sunday. 1 hour ride outside (yeah) this AM. I rode with new pedals and new shoes (carbon Tri Fly IV). They felt great but because they are ventilated my toes were really cold, numb. It is in the low 50s upper 40s this AM. They actually hurt for a bit in the shower.

I arrived back at the house to hear the chickens going insane. I went to the back to check on them and lo and behold a fox was sitting in the back yard with a fresh kill. I first thought it was a chicken so I start hollering and running at it. It scurried off. Was not a chicken. The animal was a bird (all I saw from the remains were some feathers), it was a big-ish with orange-ish feathers. The fox took it back to the woods. I have no idea what kind of bird it could be. I doubt very highly that it was a hawk, owl or turkey.

Any ideas?

2013-06-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Light week this week before race on Sunday. 1 hour ride outside (yeah) this AM. I rode with new pedals and new shoes (carbon Tri Fly IV). They felt great but because they are ventilated my toes were really cold, numb. It is in the low 50s upper 40s this AM. They actually hurt for a bit in the shower. I arrived back at the house to hear the chickens going insane. I went to the back to check on them and lo and behold a fox was sitting in the back yard with a fresh kill. I first thought it was a chicken so I start hollering and running at it. It scurried off. Was not a chicken. The animal was a bird (all I saw from the remains were some feathers), it was a big-ish with orange-ish feathers. The fox took it back to the woods. I have no idea what kind of bird it could be. I doubt very highly that it was a hawk, owl or turkey. Any ideas?

Only orange feathered birds I can think of are small like orioles. 

2013-06-05 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
My fridge seems to be fixed and everything is back in it. Now we can restock and I can focus on my recovery week and the race this weekend.

So speaking of different cassettes. Is there an explanation somewhere on which is best for hills and which is best for flats etc.?
2013-06-05 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Light week this week before race on Sunday. 1 hour ride outside (yeah) this AM. I rode with new pedals and new shoes (carbon Tri Fly IV). They felt great but because they are ventilated my toes were really cold, numb. It is in the low 50s upper 40s this AM. They actually hurt for a bit in the shower. I arrived back at the house to hear the chickens going insane. I went to the back to check on them and lo and behold a fox was sitting in the back yard with a fresh kill. I first thought it was a chicken so I start hollering and running at it. It scurried off. Was not a chicken. The animal was a bird (all I saw from the remains were some feathers), it was a big-ish with orange-ish feathers. The fox took it back to the woods. I have no idea what kind of bird it could be. I doubt very highly that it was a hawk, owl or turkey. Any ideas?

Orioles are mostly black and have really bright orange feathers. And they are predators...they just mashed up some Astros
2013-06-05 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Orioles are mostly black and have really bright orange feathers. And they are predators...they just mashed up some Astros

LOL.  I am one of the 60% of Houstonians that don't get the Astros, or Rockets for that matter, on TV because they formed their own cable network and my provider won't pick it up.  Sooooooooooo what's baseball?

2013-06-05 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
I think I am switching to real food instead of sports stuff. It just seems to sit better in my stomach. I had a bike fit (Fitwerx) when I first got my bike (June last year) and have had it tweaked several times since then. I don't love it. I feel it still pulls a little in my shoulder, but I don't know if that is just me being a baby or if it's actually wrong. Through the course of the ride (7 hours) I took in 9 liquid bottles - mostly water. (93 degree heat). I'm not sure if this was too much, but I was SO hot, I just wanted to drink. After the ride I couldn't stop pee'ing so I'm guessing I overdid it? Before the ride I took 1 elixir tablet. I didn't know there was a common thing with the cyclist's fingers. That's good to know, though. I wish I could get rid of it as it can be tingling for days. I train with HR. When I race, I also go by HR.

Too much water?  Yeah probably.  Too much liquid?  No.  How much salt were you taking in?  On hot days you need both liquid and salt.  If you take in too much water and not enough salt over the course of a hot IM you will end up with hyponatremia.  Basically you take in water (no sodium) while sweating out sodium and you will dilute the sodium levels in your blood.  This is very dangerous and can result in seizures and death. 

The official coaching company for IMTX had a pro panel meeting for their athletes.  The one piece of advice that struck most AG'ers as odd was to not drink water, EVER, during IMTX.  That you couldn't take in enough Perform.  I've had the same advice relayed to me by the nutritionists at the Memorial Hermann Ironman Institute.  Just food for thought.

I'm willing to bet you had a MASSIVE sodium deficiency by the end of that bike (which will lead to swelling and probably made the hand numbness worse). Based on the conditions this past weekend you likely lost AT LEAST 266 oz of fluid as sweat and 5600mg of sodium. You only took in 216 oz of fluid (essentially you were 20% dehydrated) and not anywear near enough sodium.

Good rule of thumb for IM fueling is AT LEAST 32 oz of fluid, 600mg of sodium and 60g of CHO per hour with as little fat and fiber as possible. If you want to use whole foods, that's fine, you just need to make sure you're giving your body what it needs.

2013-06-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Cassettes!

When we talk about cassettes its usually in gear ratio numbers such as 11-25 or 12-28. In simplest terms, the numbers mean how many teeth are on the smallest and largest cogs. The fewer teeth on a cassette cog, the faster you'll go and the harder it will be to pedal. The more teeth, the easier it is to climb hills.

As the range smallest to largest increases, the bigger the jumps between gears will be. This means you sometimes might not have the perfect gear.

What this means for courses is that if you are racing a flat course (IMFL, for example), you want a cassette with smaller cogs. I usually do IMFL on a 11-23. If you are racing a hilly course you want a cassette with bigger cogs. I did IMLP on a 12-28.

2013-06-05 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Light week this week before race on Sunday. 1 hour ride outside (yeah) this AM. I rode with new pedals and new shoes (carbon Tri Fly IV). They felt great but because they are ventilated my toes were really cold, numb. It is in the low 50s upper 40s this AM. They actually hurt for a bit in the shower.

I arrived back at the house to hear the chickens going insane. I went to the back to check on them and lo and behold a fox was sitting in the back yard with a fresh kill. I first thought it was a chicken so I start hollering and running at it. It scurried off. Was not a chicken. The animal was a bird (all I saw from the remains were some feathers), it was a big-ish with orange-ish feathers. The fox took it back to the woods. I have no idea what kind of bird it could be. I doubt very highly that it was a hawk, owl or turkey.

Any ideas?

(orange bird.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
orange bird.jpg (54KB - 6 downloads)
2013-06-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Cassettes!

When we talk about cassettes its usually in gear ratio numbers such as 11-25 or 12-28. In simplest terms, the numbers mean how many teeth are on the smallest and largest cogs. The fewer teeth on a cassette cog, the faster you'll go and the harder it will be to pedal. The more teeth, the easier it is to climb hills.

As the range smallest to largest increases, the bigger the jumps between gears will be. This means you sometimes might not have the perfect gear.

What this means for courses is that if you are racing a flat course (IMFL, for example), you want a cassette with smaller cogs. I usually do IMFL on a 11-23. If you are racing a hilly course you want a cassette with bigger cogs. I did IMLP on a 12-28.

Thank you! That makes total sense to me. Now I believe you mentioned before it is a good idea to match up a chain with each cassette if you can? So since my course is going to be flat would it be better for me to switch to 11-23 from 11-28?

Edited by kidtri33 2013-06-05 9:31 AM
2013-06-05 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by kidtri33

Cassettes!

Thank you! That make total since to me. Now I believe you mentioned before it is a good idea to match up a chain with each cassette if you can?

Yes, it is good to "marry" chains and cassettes. If you are reaplcing a cassette, you should replace the chain at the same time.
2013-06-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Cassettes!

Thank you! That make total since to me. Now I believe you mentioned before it is a good idea to match up a chain with each cassette if you can?

Yes, it is good to "marry" chains and cassettes. If you are reaplcing a cassette, you should replace the chain at the same time.

So with the flat courses I have, should I switch to 11-23 from 11-28?

2013-06-05 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.
2013-06-05 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

What do you currently have?
2013-06-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

I have 11-28 with 50/34 up front I should add.

Edited by kidtri33 2013-06-05 9:56 AM
2013-06-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by everlong

2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Awesome job! Yes, flip turns will give you speed, especially if you maintain good streamline form off the walls. Maybe in your off season you could work on these? I know some people disagree, but I think flip turns make you a better swimmer and I absolutely feel it translates to open water.
2013-06-05 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Is that what came with your Felt?

2013-06-05 11:36 AM

User image

Regular

This is the setup I have; it is definitely oriented toward climbing.  For a flat race you're almost certainly better off with the 11-23 (and even a standard 53-39 crank).  I wouldn't run out and buy a new crank this week if you're not used to riding one, though.  Cranks are a lot more expensive than cassettes, and they'll also change the place where you shift from the big ring to the small ring and back.  That's not a huge thing to get used to, but you wouldn't want to try to do it during a race.

2013-06-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

Is that what came with your Felt?
Yea that is the original. Should be the same on yours. Some rides I just can't find that 'perfect' gear.
2013-06-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by Kuma

This is the setup I have; it is definitely oriented toward climbing.  For a flat race you're almost certainly better off with the 11-23 (and even a standard 53-39 crank).  I wouldn't run out and buy a new crank this week if you're not used to riding one, though.  Cranks are a lot more expensive than cassettes, and they'll also change the place where you shift from the big ring to the small ring and back.  That's not a huge thing to get used to, but you wouldn't want to try to do it during a race.

For Jen and IMMT its a good setup. For Larkin and flat races, I swap it out to a 11-23 in the back.
2013-06-05 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks Kelly and Matt. I will get one purchased today Any chain recommendations? Just stick Ultegra with Ultegra?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86