General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I'm thinking of switching from my hotel to a rented home. Maybe on the lake, somewhere. Doesn't need to be real close to transition... maybe within 5 miles. I've checked VRBO & CDAgetaway, but I was wondering if there were some lesser-known sites where rentals would be slightly less (maybe a local magazine or something). I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks.

2013-06-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by CodRed I'm thinking of switching from my hotel to a rented home. Maybe on the lake, somewhere. Doesn't need to be real close to transition... maybe within 5 miles. I've checked VRBO & CDAgetaway, but I was wondering if there were some lesser-known sites where rentals would be slightly less (maybe a local magazine or something). I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

You might take a look at this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/IronmanCdaRentals

2013-06-08 8:11 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

West Jordan, UT
Last long brick before the taper today! Started out trying to hold my HR down but gave up and relied on RPE for the rest of the brick. I purposely rode and ran in the heat of the day (92) to acclimate just in case it's really hot on race day. Speaking of which, TWO WEEKS FROM TOMORROW!!
2013-06-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: mruss77

User image

Spokane
Well confidence booster for me today.. it was closer to a 1:38 pace but i was swimming circles for the last .1 so the GPS wasnt picking up movement lol.

(1001855_647875365228436_999901795_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1001855_647875365228436_999901795_n.jpg (94KB - 20 downloads)
2013-06-08 9:08 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Chilliwack
Originally posted by dkahns51

Well confidence booster for me today.. it was closer to a 1:38 pace but i was swimming circles for the last .1 so the GPS wasnt picking up movement lol.

Very nice! I plan on a 2.4 OWS next week to see where I am at.. But I know for sure.. I am way slower than you...

- Mike
2013-06-08 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
good job there on the swim dkahns did you swim at cda? if so how was it?

my day started out with a swim, than jumped on the bike and road out to post falls and back.

Then did some work on my house with the father-in-law and went to get stuff for the house with the wife.

Decided that I would go ride for another hour that I missed this morning and then run for 45 minutes. Didn't turn out well. something going on with my left glutes uggghh... Hopefully it is just tight and needs stretching out. Only got 40 minutes on the bike and 20 on the run though my run I wasn't hurting and actually had a great pace but just didn't feel right.

one more big day than taper time....

2013-06-08 9:39 PM

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by spie34

my day started out with a swim, than jumped on the bike and road out to post falls and back.

Then did some work on my house with the father-in-law and went to get stuff for the house with the wife.

Decided that I would go ride for another hour that I missed this morning and then run for 45 minutes. Didn't turn out well. something going on with my left glutes uggghh... Hopefully it is just tight and needs stretching out. Only got 40 minutes on the bike and 20 on the run though my run I wasn't hurting and actually had a great pace but just didn't feel right.

I swam at medical lake. is your last big day the ride? I am doing my long ride tomorrow.. i feel like crap right now but i'm still gonna go after it.
2013-06-09 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
MRGIBBS and I swam 2.15 miles in Cd'A today - pretty good workout!  Heavy chop and some whitecaps, that stuff really takes it out of you.  The  water temp is not an issue, it was 62 degrees and totally comfortable with a wetsuit.  I started out wearing my neoprene cap, but after the first mile the chin strap was driving me nuts so I took it off, it wasn't  necessary at all.
2013-06-09 2:33 AM

User image

Regular

I swam at medical lake. is your last big day the ride? I am doing my long ride tomorrow.. i feel like crap right now but i'm still gonna go after it.

I did the ride today for the most part. Started out pretty good headed to PF on the trail but then someone decided to cross over the trail in front of me right before I was going to yell on your left. Well ended up hitting the brakes and knocking the lady down. I went off the trail into the ditch as well. Luckily not hurt.

1:30 run tomorrow followed by the 45 minute ride that I will stretch to an hour more than likely.
2013-06-09 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I can't tell you folks how great it is to read all the posts on this thread. I'm so jeleous of you local guys who get to ride the course. I got to ride in northern michigan yesterday and wow. What an eye opener. Granted most of the hills were at a much higher %, but they were short. Maybe 1/2 mile at 10-15%. Goals for the race are now just finish. No more thinking I can get it around 13. I'll just blow up on the bike and walk the run if I do that.
The one crazy hill was 29% grade for about 50-100 yards. At least I didn't walk at all. Now time for full on taper.
Have a great week. The Griswold adventure starts Friday when we drive out.
2013-06-09 7:58 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
We are leaving for Coeur d'Alene on the 16th. We will hopefully arrive in CDA on Wednesday. We did do the MMM this weekend. We just rode the 100k and then ran afterwards. How did the ride go for you?

2013-06-09 4:42 PM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Spokane
The wind today... holy crap lol. lake looked like a ocean. I cut my bike a hour short, and cut my run by 10 mins and skipped the swim. I'm starting my taper 1 day early i guess . my allergies are absolutely killing me right now i hope they clear up before IM.
2013-06-09 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

The wind today... holy crap lol. lake looked like a ocean. I cut my bike a hour short, and cut my run by 10 mins and skipped the swim. I'm starting my taper 1 day early i guess . my allergies are absolutely killing me right now i hope they clear up before IM.

Just got done giving my parents a driving tour of the course. It looks nasty out there on the water and none of us were surprised at the small number of people out training in general.
2013-06-09 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Originally posted by maverickbassets

I can't tell you folks how great it is to read all the posts on this thread. I'm so jeleous of you local guys who get to ride the course. I got to ride in northern michigan yesterday and wow. What an eye opener. Granted most of the hills were at a much higher %, but they were short. Maybe 1/2 mile at 10-15%. Goals for the race are now just finish. No more thinking I can get it around 13. I'll just blow up on the bike and walk the run if I do that.
The one crazy hill was 29% grade for about 50-100 yards. At least I didn't walk at all. Now time for full on taper.

I can't compare the Michigan Mountain Mayhem to IMCDA bike course because I haven't seen the course yet. But I will say that I thought the MMM was tougher than the bike course on IM Louisville and Lake Placid. What distance did you end up riding? I rode the 160k last year and had trouble recovering after riding the super hill and its 29% grade. If you rode the 200k you climbed 10,000 feet. IMCDA will be about half of that so I think you might do better than you think.
2013-06-09 11:19 PM

User image

West Jordan, UT
The way too early 14 day weather forecast calls for dream conditions on race day. 80 degrees, mostly sunny, and light south winds. I'll be crossing everything I have hoping this comes true.
2013-06-09 11:25 PM

User image

Regular

it is nice to be able to ride the course. I've done it twice this year.

But on the bike for yourself, spin the hills, keep within your zones and you will do better than you think. I've read alot on here and have seen others who will go way too hard on the bike only to blow up on the run.

I have a co-worker who does just that. Bikes too hard and dies on the run. This year he actually has started to use his 2k investment in powertap for his trainer wheel and for his 808. he has noticed his times are becoming better overall even if his bike a actually a little bit slower.

2013-06-09 11:26 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mruss77

The way too early 14 day weather forecast calls for dream conditions on race day. 80 degrees, mostly sunny, and light south winds. I'll be crossing everything I have hoping this comes true.

um subtract 10 degrees and that is ideal
2013-06-09 11:28 PM

User image

Regular

yes allergies this year are sucking. I think this is the first year ever that I have sneezed on a regular basis because of allergies.

I skipped the 1:30 run followed by 45 minute bike today. Maybe make it up tomorrow but haven't decided yet. My body is telling me to cut back right now and rest up. I think I didn't get off the couch till noon and went to be around 11 last night.
2013-06-10 4:29 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
It's NEXT WEEK people!!!!!!!! Eek!

So I'm one of those who needs the full 17 hours. I emailed them and told them, I know that your plan is to get everyone started by 7a, but what happens if for some reason the last portion of people is delayed and the last person starts the race after 7a, let's say 7:30a, does that person have until 12:30a to finish? And they said no, they only have 'til midnight regardless of start time. I don't want more or less time, I want 17 hours, and want to start closer to 7a.

How do you all think this is gonna work out? I'm a slower swimmer (and biker, and runner ha).

As an aside, does anyone know at what mile point the second cutoff for the swim and run are at? Thanks!
2013-06-10 5:38 AM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I can't compare the Michigan Mountain Mayhem to IMCDA bike course because I haven't seen the course yet. But I will say that I thought the MMM was tougher than the bike course on IM Louisville and Lake Placid. What distance did you end up riding? I rode the 160k last year and had trouble recovering after riding the super hill and its 29% grade. If you rode the 200k you climbed 10,000 feet. IMCDA will be about half of that so I think you might do better than you think.

I rode the 200K. That super hill was tough. Being on a golf cart path that steep with people walking up made things tricky to have room to get by. I feel pretty good today so I hope I fully recover before the weekend.
My unqualified oppinion is that CDA will be tougher because of the long drawn out hills not short steep hills. I can handle the bursts of energy, but that sustained output on the uphills has be worried. I really plan on pacing this out better than my previous races. I hit 42MPH which was interesting, but still comfortable. The best part was I carried a can of pringles the whole ride. Man I love those suckers in the middle of a long ride. The salt is great. Have a safe drive out.
2013-06-10 5:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

it is nice to be able to ride the course. I've done it twice this year.

But on the bike for yourself, spin the hills, keep within your zones and you will do better than you think. I've read alot on here and have seen others who will go way too hard on the bike only to blow up on the run.

I have a co-worker who does just that. Bikes too hard and dies on the run. This year he actually has started to use his 2k investment in powertap for his trainer wheel and for his 808. he has noticed his times are becoming better overall even if his bike a actually a little bit slower.

I'll have to just go slow and enjoy the ride. This last ride realy surprised me with my HR spiking on the first 30 miles every hill we hit. Then for the last 100 miles or so I got a handle on it and felt fine. I think some of that was the excitment of a big ride with some challenging hills. I guess that is good because it's exactly like CDA in that respect. I'll be overly excited because of the race. That experience should be helpfull for the race if I remember it...... I fully expect a slow bike so I have some legs to try and run the full mary.

I'm hoping to get my bike in for a quick check up this week before we leave. I think I left a good chunk of my breaks in northern Michigan. Way too many hills that ended in stop signs.

Edited by maverickbassets 2013-06-10 5:50 AM

2013-06-10 7:29 AM

User image

Spokane

My way to early forecast shows 86 with 23mph wind gust... that sounds like hell

Ohh and i might just do the rest of my runs in the pool to give my body the ultimate rest lol

Edited by dkahns51 2013-06-10 7:31 AM
2013-06-10 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

It is early, but if that temp holds true I'll be one happy IMer.
2013-06-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I refuse to trust Idaho weather this far out. Last year Boise taught me a very good lesson. Forcast was good right up until a few days before the event and then bam!!! SLEET?RAIN. Both gloves and coat are packed for this trip just in case things get ugly.

I hear everyone about the allergies. Mine have sucked for the last two weeks. My doctor has offered a steroid shot to alleviate any issues for the race, but does that make me some kind of Lance DB? He says it won't help or greatly hurt my proformance just help me to not have to take three meds and benadryl to do the race. I'm not overly worried about the bike and run while in the mist of an allergy attack, but sneezing while swimming I found out is a lot like trying to breath water. It doesn't work out well. That big breath right before you sneeze sucks if your face is in the water. Any thoughts? Even if I plan on finishing in 15 hours I don't want to be some kind of cheater.
2013-06-10 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I've been using a steroid inhaler since the last week of April because my lungs decided they really hated me (I had exposed nerve endings in my lungs, felt like I inhaled fiberglass).

IMO, if its a doctor's orders, its not cheating. Besides, if someone wants to trade my defective lungs + steroid inhaler for good lungs, I'd be more than happy to do so.

OH, and I am sooo there with you on packing cold weather gear for both myself and my husband. I'm still shivering from Boise last year.

Edited by mountain_erin 2013-06-10 10:07 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57