BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by everlong

2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Awesome job! Yes, flip turns will give you speed, especially if you maintain good streamline form off the walls. Maybe in your off season you could work on these? I know some people disagree, but I think flip turns make you a better swimmer and I absolutely feel it translates to open water.

Thanks. I am going to try to learn them this winter. I've been doing dolphin kick with fins to work on my core, build up the hips and work towards being able to use it off the flip turns.

2013-06-05 2:18 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by kidtri33

Originally posted by kaburns1214

So with the flat courses I have, should I switch to 11-23 from 11-28?

What do you currently have?
I have 11-28 with 50/34 up front I should add.

Is that what came with your Felt?

Sadly I have no idea what my setup is. The LBS (Brian from Fast Splits) set it up for me and I rolled with it. If I do something hilly I'm going to have to look at going with something different as the lowest gear won't be enough.
2013-06-05 2:29 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran

So with the flat courses I have, should I switch to 11-23 from 11-28?

What do you currently have?
I have 11-28 with 50/34 up front I should add.

Is that what came with your Felt?
Yea that is the original. Should be the same on yours. Some rides I just can't find that 'perfect' gear.

Mine is 11-25
2013-06-05 4:35 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by kidtri33 Thanks Kelly and Matt. I will get one purchased today Any chain recommendations? Just stick Ultegra with Ultegra?

That should work fine.  

I'm jealous of your racing this weekend, by the way.  I had so much fun at Columbia that I sort of wish I had signed up for Jamestown myself, now.  My wife probably would've frowned at me, though...

2013-06-05 4:50 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Regular

I think my sweetie is going to give me a hall pass to ride Saturday morning.  Would any of you DC/MoCo/NoVA area folks like to try to meet up and ride together?  In the interest of finding a sort-of central location, I know a good route that starts at the Marshall Park & Ride off I-66 west of DC.  The route is 56 miles through VA horse country, mostly rollers, but it has one big, tough hill in the middle, and then one medium-sized tough hill at about 3/4 of the way.  I'm thinking we'd go pretty early, probably rolling out at around 8:00 or 8:30.  Larkin's racing so I know he's out (sorry man - we'll get you out again), but any of you other fine folks interested/available?  

Disclaimer - I might get my hall pass rescinded if it rains (complicated - has to do with the kids' Saturday school - don't ask).  

2013-06-05 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Mine is 11-25

For IMMT I'd like to see you on a 12-28.

I'll have Shaun take a look and find you the right cogset to buy.

2013-06-05 5:09 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Sadly I have no idea what my setup is. The LBS (Brian from Fast Splits) set it up for me and I rolled with it. If I do something hilly I'm going to have to look at going with something different as the lowest gear won't be enough.

Speaking of Brian from Fast Splits -- he keeps sending me e-mails about purchasing Cavendish's Venge McLauren. Not nice at all.
2013-06-05 5:09 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
I finally wrote about my struggles with food.

If you are interested -- http://somerandomthursday.blogspot.com/#!/2013/06/fat-triathlete.ht...
2013-06-05 6:58 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by Kuma

I think my sweetie is going to give me a hall pass to ride Saturday morning.  Would any of you DC/MoCo/NoVA area folks like to try to meet up and ride together?  In the interest of finding a sort-of central location, I know a good route that starts at the Marshall Park & Ride off I-66 west of DC.  The route is 56 miles through VA horse country, mostly rollers, but it has one big, tough hill in the middle, and then one medium-sized tough hill at about 3/4 of the way.  I'm thinking we'd go pretty early, probably rolling out at around 8:00 or 8:30.  Larkin's racing so I know he's out (sorry man - we'll get you out again), but any of you other fine folks interested/available?  

Disclaimer - I might get my hall pass rescinded if it rains (complicated - has to do with the kids' Saturday school - don't ask).  

If I didn't have my mini sprint on Sunday morning I'd definitely be up for this.  After this weekend, my next sprint isn't until July 28th so we can definitely try and squeeze something in if you get another hall pass.

2013-06-05 7:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by tdl1972

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Light week this week before race on Sunday. 1 hour ride outside (yeah) this AM. I rode with new pedals and new shoes (carbon Tri Fly IV). They felt great but because they are ventilated my toes were really cold, numb. It is in the low 50s upper 40s this AM. They actually hurt for a bit in the shower.

I arrived back at the house to hear the chickens going insane. I went to the back to check on them and lo and behold a fox was sitting in the back yard with a fresh kill. I first thought it was a chicken so I start hollering and running at it. It scurried off. Was not a chicken. The animal was a bird (all I saw from the remains were some feathers), it was a big-ish with orange-ish feathers. The fox took it back to the woods. I have no idea what kind of bird it could be. I doubt very highly that it was a hawk, owl or turkey.

Any ideas?

For some reason I am trying to reply to the Big Bird...but it is not showing up....anyway...that was funny

Edited by ccmpsyd 2013-06-05 7:12 PM
2013-06-05 7:20 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Veteran
So I feel like Forest Gump.

I have been running on a pretty heavy stability shoe for the past several years. Recently purchased some Pearl Izumi ISO Transition shoes....to be worn sockless. Boy did they feel different. My left foot has kind of been sore since a long run the other week and I have been resting it for my race this weekend so I was sort of apprehensive about how my run would go tonight, especially with the new shoes. I had a 35 minn run with the first mile at a Z2 pace. 1st Mile was at 6:54...I felt light and could have easily kept up the pace. It was like when Forest Gump took off running and his leg braces flew off him. Pretty excited to see how my run goes this weekend during the race.

2013-06-05 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mine is 11-25

For IMMT I'd like to see you on a 12-28.

I'll have Shaun take a look and find you the right cogset to buy.

Yes please! I'm clueless.
2013-06-05 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Thanks for sharing! That was an incredibly honest blog and I am sure hard to put out there publicly. However, I would not call you fat, but being thre myself in the weight issues, I understnsd that is how you feel. Keep working on it, keep trying to find answers, but take this away .... You are incredibly fast for a triathlete and dedicated to meet your Kona goal! You are a hell of an inspiration to a hell of lot of people with your accomplishments and your discipline to the sport!
2013-06-05 10:18 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ccmpsydSo I feel like Forest Gump. I have been running on a pretty heavy stability shoe for the past several years. Recently purchased some Pearl Izumi ISO Transition shoes....to be worn sockless. Boy did they feel different. My left foot has kind of been sore since a long run the other week and I have been resting it for my race this weekend so I was sort of apprehensive about how my run would go tonight, especially with the new shoes. I had a 35 minn run with the first mile at a Z2 pace. 1st Mile was at 6:54...I felt light and could have easily kept up the pace. It was like when Forest Gump took off running and his leg braces flew off him. Pretty excited to see how my run goes this weekend during the race.
:-) Run Forrest, run!! Congrats! Sounds like a good purchase.Did the transition to sockless cause you trouble? The idea of that makes my tootsies nervous...
2013-06-06 3:50 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by ccmpsydSo I feel like Forest Gump. I have been running on a pretty heavy stability shoe for the past several years. Recently purchased some Pearl Izumi ISO Transition shoes....to be worn sockless. Boy did they feel different. My left foot has kind of been sore since a long run the other week and I have been resting it for my race this weekend so I was sort of apprehensive about how my run would go tonight, especially with the new shoes. I had a 35 minn run with the first mile at a Z2 pace. 1st Mile was at 6:54...I felt light and could have easily kept up the pace. It was like when Forest Gump took off running and his leg braces flew off him. Pretty excited to see how my run goes this weekend during the race.
:-) Run Forrest, run!! Congrats! Sounds like a good purchase.Did the transition to sockless cause you trouble? The idea of that makes my tootsies nervous...

I am going to use that as my Mantra during training and races...Run Forest Run...

I have actually been running without socks for a while, so no ii was not difficult. The Transition shoes are meant, however, to be worn sockless.
2013-06-06 5:33 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Regular
Originally posted by carrie639Thanks for sharing! That was an incredibly honest blog and I am sure hard to put out there publicly. However, I would not call you fat, but being thre myself in the weight issues, I understnsd that is how you feel. Keep working on it, keep trying to find answers, but take this away .... You are incredibly fast for a triathlete and dedicated to meet your Kona goal! You are a hell of an inspiration to a hell of lot of people with your accomplishments and your discipline to the sport!
To add to this, you characterized your situation as a failure, but I don't think that's accurate, any more than getting in a car accident or catching the flu is a failure. "Frustrating" doesn't even begin to describe it, I'm sure, but it isn't a failure. Based on what you've written, I think the endocrinologist and/or the psychologist are probably the right call - you've done too much in the standard "eat less and exercise" arena for that to be the issue. As Carrie said, keep searching for the answer. I know you'll find it. As much as you've supported us, I think (hope) you know you can count on this group for support. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

2013-06-06 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a rough swim this morning. I just wasn't hitting my intervals. I got out of the pool feeling a lot looser than when I got in so that's a good thing. A MASSIVE black spider floated up from the depths of the pool onto my kick board. I freaked out. Most paranoid swim ever.....watching for other spiders in the pool and also keeping an eye on the one I flicked out. I just don't care for creepy crawlers or creatures of the night.

In other news I'm on groin sprain watch. Yesterday it felt a little iffy after my long run. Coach cut out the rest of the runs for the week. I hope that rids me of this problem quickly. Good thing is that it feels better today!

2013-06-06 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by carrie639Thanks for sharing! That was an incredibly honest blog and I am sure hard to put out there publicly. However, I would not call you fat, but being thre myself in the weight issues, I understnsd that is how you feel. Keep working on it, keep trying to find answers, but take this away .... You are incredibly fast for a triathlete and dedicated to meet your Kona goal! You are a hell of an inspiration to a hell of lot of people with your accomplishments and your discipline to the sport!
To add to this, you characterized your situation as a failure, but I don't think that's accurate, any more than getting in a car accident or catching the flu is a failure. "Frustrating" doesn't even begin to describe it, I'm sure, but it isn't a failure. Based on what you've written, I think the endocrinologist and/or the psychologist are probably the right call - you've done too much in the standard "eat less and exercise" arena for that to be the issue. As Carrie said, keep searching for the answer. I know you'll find it. As much as you've supported us, I think (hope) you know you can count on this group for support. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Well said both of you. It sounds like you are doing everything you can right now, Kelly. Maybe talking to someone would help? It is difficult to share such a personal struggle, and I'm proud of you for putting yourself out there.
2013-06-06 7:47 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

3300 in the pool this morning and a 35 minute jog. 

So at my 9 to 5 job I have 9 vacation days that I have to use by the first week of July or I lose them.  I didn't realize this until HR (Cindy) pointed it out.  So I talked to my boss and I have every Friday for the rest of the month off and 2 Thursdays.  Sweet!!!

2013-06-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by uhcoog

3300 in the pool this morning and a 35 minute jog. 

So at my 9 to 5 job I have 9 vacation days that I have to use by the first week of July or I lose them.  I didn't realize this until HR (Cindy) pointed it out.  So I talked to my boss and I have every Friday for the rest of the month off and 2 Thursdays.  Sweet!!!

That's awesome TX-Scott.  I'm at my vacation cap as it is so I'm not accruing any leave at this point.  With the amount of hours I work even when I take off for a track event (I work part time for a car road racing organization), I don't have to charge leave because I've already work more than sufficient hours to cover the time off.  I don't even want to think about how much $$ I donate to the company by not using my leave, and my discretionary time off that I lose every year.

2013-06-06 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Mine is 11-25
Jen you are right. The 2013 model is the on that comes with a 11-28.

2013-06-06 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Originally posted by kidtri33 Thanks Kelly and Matt. I will get one purchased today Any chain recommendations? Just stick Ultegra with Ultegra?

That should work fine.  

I'm jealous of your racing this weekend, by the way.  I had so much fun at Columbia that I sort of wish I had signed up for Jamestown myself, now.  My wife probably would've frowned at me, though...

As Kelly has told me before "It is easier to ask for forgivness" haha
2013-06-06 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

That should work fine.  

Not sound marriage advice

2013-06-06 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

That should work fine.  

Not sound marriage advice

Trust me I know! Just seems like a good idea till you have to deal with it ;P
2013-06-06 8:35 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

~1000m in the pool with the Master's this morning.  Starting to feel more comfortable without the snorkel.  I'm still rushing when I start to feel as if I'm not getting enough air and really have to work to reign myself in and slow it down.  When I really concentrate on extending and form I'm actually only slightly slower than with the snorkel.  

Definitely ditching the snorkel for this weekend's mini sprint.  1) it's only 250m  2) it's at the same pool my Master's is at, and they have practice that morning so the coach would give me crap about it.  3) I'm feeling comfortable enough to do so

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86