Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-07-12 9:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Super boring high Z1 ride for 1:45 this morning, followed by 2500yds in the pool. MS was 24x25 descending 1-4, repeated 6 times). A fun swim workout…my last at the Hilton Zamalek. No more staring at the fifth floor balcony that has the light installed on the south side of the joist instead of the north side…like the other 24 floors.

Congratulations on completing your tour of duty of swimming in Egypt. Not many would have had the commitment you showed to get all that training in. Enjoy the last couple of days and travel safely. I'm sure you, and your wife can't wait for you to be home.

2023-07-12 9:21 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Nathalie, Enjoy your run block in the south of France. Not at all jealous.

@Mike, Nice that you're feeling good in the water. All this training must be paying off

Me, I continue to be a sloth. I'm still trying to kick the last little bit of cough. Symptoms are better than yesterday, so I'm hopeful to be cleared by Dr Bullfrog for the weekend.

Speaking of which, we have a 3 day weekend this week. Tomorrow is a holiday... So Mrs Bullfrog has me building building all day, we're doing some work in the laundry to convert into more of a butlers pantry for the kitchen. Old NZ houses like ours have very limited storage so that's the goal of the exercise. All going to plan we will have framing done and plaster board up by the end of the week.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2023-07-13 1:02 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done Nicole! Sounds like both fun and hardwork, like everything we do I guess.

No Mike, no excuses not to go OWS once a month, that’s right.

Things are finally moving in the triathlon scene in my town. This week I have been training with others 3 times instead of once. Much more fun, feels safer when swimming and you get a better workout out of it. We have a nice little group of people I am getting to know, all ages and levels, a few different nationalities. Long may it continue.

My Oly is at the end of August. Before that I have a 300m/16k/3k at the end of July, and a 400/18/4 mid August (Ironman “mini”). And the week after I have a sprint.
Apart from the 400/18/4, they are all my “A” races on these distances.

2023-07-13 1:38 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Someone (Nat?) asked about temps recently...I forgot to answer. Anyway, it has been relatively mild for Egyptian summer so far. Today's high is 103 freedoms (39.5C). The temps aren't really what gets you here, it is the sun. There is almost never any cloud cover, so it just blasts you all day long. If you are in the shade, the dry air makes it so that whole evaporative cooling mechanism humans evolved actually works and it doesn't feel that bad--in the sun...you're just f'ed.

I was up early this morning (couldn't sleep), so I decided to leave for my run a little early. I was out the door before 4, back from my long run before 7. Then I enjoyed several coffees on my balcony, realized I'd had 7 shots of espresso before 9am and then did my strength training, because why not?!?!?! (There may be a correlation between the amount of coffee I've been drinking lately and my sleep difficulties...just maybe).

I talked myself out of going back to the pool for my long swim of the week.

My A race is MiTi, which is Aug 13. I'm considering a HIM in late September/early October, just to do the triathlon cycle again this year (this time with a super sprint included!), but I'm not sure of the date of that race...or even if it is being offered again.

I'm now at the stage where I have to think seriously about packing, seeing as how I leave for the airport tomorrow night. So far, what I've really managed to do is break a bunch of stuff in the last couple of days. I keep thinking...one less thing to pack! I'm up to two coffee mugs, a plate, and my kitchen scale. I also weeded through my socks and made a pile of all the ones that have holes in them...they aren't coming home. I have two pair of worn out running shoes to dispose of, a paint stained shirt, and some misc. office stuff that I won't take with me. All the clothing stuff will be re-appropriated by folks here in Cairo--nothing goes to waste here, which is why I never feel bad leaving stuff in Egypt. I certainly am not going to darn socks to make them last, but someone here will. The shoes I consider worn out will be worn by someone here who may not have had a pair of shoes to begin with.
2023-07-13 4:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, that was me asking about the temp. That’s hot! And you go running in that? It’s around the same at my mum’s place right now, she won’t let me go out for a run in the afternoon, I know that! And you have to do like your mum says, even at the age of 53!

Go pack now, you’re making me nervous! (I packed my single bag for my little trip on Tuesday, leaving Today, just about to board)
2023-07-13 4:34 AM
in reply to: #5286145

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have 36 hours still!! Packing can wait at least 30 hours! :D

2023-07-13 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I have 36 hours still!! Packing can wait at least 30 hours! :D

You sound like my wife...only she'd say 35. 

2023-07-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: #5286152

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It takes about an hour to take my bike apart. :D
2023-07-13 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This morning was the first crash and burn of my tour so far.  Had a pretty simple 30 minutes bike easy, 30 minutes treadmill mostly easy with a little speedwork, then strength training.  Bike was rough getting started but plowed through, run was bleh so shortened it, and had nothing to even start the strength training so just went up and ate breakfast.  Still a little slow-thinking this morning.  I guess I didn't eat enough yesterday.  Oh well there are usually 1-2 days during this training block that are disasters.  Tomorrow is a climb up La Reine, so about a two-hour ride including a long cool down on the descent.

2023-07-14 3:20 AM
in reply to: #5286154

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
5:30 trainer ride, followed by a 1:00 brick run. I slept I until 3, so the run was a bit hot by the time I got out. Done though, and both actually felt pretty good. I was a bit worried about them, since I did my long run yesterday and my quads were a bit sore this morning.

Egypt training program is now complete. Uber comes to take me to the airport in 12 hours. I just put a load of laundry in. :D. Possibly not ideal, but I really don’t want to pack the training clothes that actually made a splat sound when I dropped them on the ground. I don’t have spare luggage weight allotment to carry sweat home!
2023-07-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Safe travels Gretchen!

Arrived at my mum’s yesterday, a 8k run this morning followed by a ”swim” if you can call that in 5.5 metres long pool. I tie my feet up at one end and practice my arm technique. Now we’re going back in to so some water aerobics. Tomorrow, we’re going to an actual pool (25m) so I’ll do a nice session.

It’s nice and hot but not too hot (33C)

Have a nice weekend!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-14 3:45 PM

2023-07-14 5:59 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I’m going to throw out there that 6:30 of training on the day you fly for 18ish hours is probably not a good idea…especially when your flight takes off at 3am and you’ve now been awake for 24 hours.

Next time I “see” you all, I’ll be stateside!
2023-07-16 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
After 12 days off, I feel I'm ready to get back into some 'light' training. Before bed I got my bike kit laid out, bottles in the fridge all ready for a zwift ride this morning.

So obviously, the 2 short people that live with us decided to be up several times over night (for the first time in 2 weeks) Such a bad night sleep, after the 4am nappy change I turned my alarm off and decided getting some sleep and not undoing the recovery was a better idea.

Hopefully tomorrow morning will go better

I also missed the question about when our races are.

November 5 A local sprint/Oly that I am 75% going to do as a test/build up event for summer.
December 9, Ironman Taupo 70.3
March 2, Ironman NZ, 140.6

I also have a half marathon in February (a deferral from a race cancelled this Feb) I'll probably run it and treat that as my long training run that week. Assuming no injury niggles of course.
2023-07-16 5:32 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Hope your travels went smoothly. And hope your legs coped with 18 odd hours in a plane seat after a big morning training. Not the best workout recovery. It's too late for advice but I'm hoping you had compression socks or something, and got up and moved around during the flight to aid that recovery.

Congratulations on surviving Ironman training in Egypt. After all your trials, that finish line is going to feel even more satisfying this year I'm sure.

@Mike, Sorry about the crash and burn morning. But you've been doing some huge numbers during your tour de zwift. Like you say 1 or 2 bad ones are expected. Hopefully your 2 hour climb was happier.

@Nathalie. 5.5m pool? Time to learn/practice flip turns. Hope you're enjoying france.
2023-07-17 4:52 AM
in reply to: #5286165

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Made it home Saturday night after a fairly uneventful trip, although much less sleep than I normally manage. I did have compression sleeves on, so at least my calves were recovering. Slept well Saturday night. Before you ask, I’m both glad to be home and sad not to be in Egypt anymore. It really was a life changing time.

Sunday was a semi-productive day. I reassembled my bike and went for an hour ride outside…outside!!! I got stung by something. I ended up coming home about 10’ earlier than planned, because 1.) it hurt! And 2.) I couldn’t get the stinger out with one hand. Only me, I swear. Then I headed to the pool and did 3900yds that felt pretty good (and I didn’t notice it was 3900 until I was in the shower…or else I would have gone to 4000…plan called for 3800 and I really have no idea where the extra 100 came from).

Andrew—good to hear you’re feeling better!

Nat—5.5m pool?!? I hope you have a teather! I’m 1.9m tall, so that’s like two body lengths. Or a relatively mediocre push off for me

Monday is a rest day, heading into a recovery week. Good. I need a few days to catch back up with jet lag and work on the house and yard. My wife only did basic, emergency maintenance of the outside (by total agreement!), so it needs some tlc.
2023-07-17 9:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome home, Gretchen! Glad to hear you had uneventful travel. Not sure how you managed to get stung on your very first ride back, but consider it the welcoming committee I suppose!

Mike, sorry to hear about your poopy training day, but hopefully you get some solid recovery and come back swinging.

Andrew, the best laid plans...Rough sleep typically makes for rough training, so you made the right choice.

Nat, training with people definitely makes it better in so many ways. I definitely miss having that. I used to have a lot of girlfriends in the area and we would go to the park and do a little strength and conditioning session. I would come up with the workouts. We called it Booty Boot Camp. I really miss those days!

2023-07-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, folks.  Big weekend of training here with 6 miles walking and about 75 minutes on the bike (I bailed on the two-hour climb...discretion and valor and all that...).  Saturday my daughter and I rode for almost three hours on one of the multi-use paths from the airport to Annapolis and back in soupy hot weather but we had a blast.  We were getting a little punchy at the end but got in a good ride.  Sunday was a "quadrathlon" with swim/strength/bike/run in that order with a car ride in the middle for an extra long T2.  Two straight weeks in the 13-hour and almost 700 TSS range so I'm starting to feel it.  LOL

@Gretchen:  welcome home!!! I bet you're so glad to be outside riding again, even with a sting (I got hit in the face by a bee on Saturday but it didn't get me though it almost went in my mouth) - glad you didn't crash!  I know you use Training Peaks, right?  Just curious...what type of TSS numbers are you posting during a hard week?  With 5+ hour rides it's gotta be pretty high

@Andrew:  I guess one more day is OK LOL - thanks for posting the race schedule...with your flip-flopped seasons it's tough for me mentally to get my head around it

@Nathalie:  hope you holiday is going well

@Nicole:  how did recovery from the race go?  I'd have been destroyed from that.

Pictures from Saturday's ride (hopefully BT behaves and you can see them):

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-07-17 9:48 AM
2023-07-17 10:16 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a relatively busy, but also lazy weekend. I rode my Peloton for the first time in awhile on Friday. Played some vball Sunday, and have vball league tonight. Going to try to get in a bike boot camp before.

It's been hot and gross here, which is a huge contrast to Tahoe, so that I think has been the toughest part about coming home. I miss that weather a lot. That and I was EXHAUSTED! Between the jet lag and the minimal sleep on race day, my body took a bit to bounce back from it. Luckily I took most of the week off from work, so just stayed home and went through emails/got caught up. It was nice to come back from vacation without too much backlog.
I went to my nephew's swim meet Saturday morning. It was grossly hot, so as soon as he was done, I had to get out (I was also somewhat hungover, so that didn't help). He did great though. Won the 25 fly, and I think got 3rd in the 25 back. I'm not sure how he did in the breaststroke.

As for races, I feel like I need to sign up for more stuff since I'm probably in the best shape I've been in in years. I have a busy couple months though, and spent far too much money in Tahoe, so might just be content with what I've done so far. We'll see if I get that itch though
2023-07-17 2:20 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  welcome home!!! I bet you're so glad to be outside riding again, even with a sting (I got hit in the face by a bee on Saturday but it didn't get me though it almost went in my mouth) - glad you didn't crash!  I know you use Training Peaks, right?  Just curious...what type of TSS numbers are you posting during a hard week?  With 5+ hour rides it's gotta be pretty high

Last week was 1123 plus strength training, which doesn't give me a TSS for some reason.
2023-07-17 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finally did a workout.

Had a better nights sleep (no 4am nappies this time, knock on wood it continues) Up and on the bike at 6 for an easy 30 minute spin. Not much, but nice to be back in the right direction at least. HR was a bit higher than expected, not sure if that's hangover from being sick, drop in fitness from 13 days off or a bit of heat as I didn't put the fan on (recovering from being sick I figure a fan blowing over a sweaty body should be avoided). Whatever the cause I will have to monitor it.

Mrs Bullfrog has a committee meeting for Miss 2's kindy tonight, so I may do a short and easy treadmill run tonight. Will see how I'm feeling.

@Gretchen. Welcome back to the civilized world. Your next shop should be the bike shop to buy something obscure... just because you can. haha. Nice job on getting straight off the plane back into workouts, must be a real treat to be able to ride outside again.

@Mike. 3 hour adventure ride with your daughter is life goals stuff. Awesome to see. Only 1 more week of tour de mike to go, keep up the good work.

@Nicole. Looks like a fun weekend. To scratch your more races itch whilst not spending, have a look for your closest park run like we talked about a few weeks ago. Although technically not a race it is close enough to give you a race day experience.
2023-07-18 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Last week was 1123 plus strength training, which doesn't give me a TSS for some reason.

Yikes.  That's awesome.  I get TSS on my strength work via HR on my watch (there's a Strength workout on it).  It's probably just directionally accurate because I think strength training causes stress beyond just the HR during the workout, but close enough.

My Garmin Fenix 6 has been acting weird on my runs and walks...it thinks I'm climbing a vertical wall or something - I had an elevation gain of 99,999 feet last week so that REALLY mucks with the TSS.  I've tried a couple of Google things to fix it but nothing working so far, so a call to Garmin might be in order.

1:05 on the bike and :35 throwing dumbbells (and myself) around our Pain Cave.  Wife suggested we do 90" plank intervals.  Ouch.

2023-07-18 10:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Wife suggested we do 90" plank intervals.  Ouch.

Why so short? :D :D :D
2023-07-18 2:31 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice morning workout with my Masters group--2000yds swimming. Then a bit later, I got in an hour VO2 max interval run and took the pup on a mile walk as the cool down (very long cool down...she is old and S.L.O.W., but she does love her walks). We made it back just before a(nother) storm broke. I did about 40' of strength training after the walk--I forgot how "helpful" the dog is when doing any form of ground based work.

I tried to track my strength session today, but the watch said it required a HRM strap, and nope...not wearing a HRM strap for strength training. I've given it up almost completely and work just off the wrist based version (which I know is not as accurate...yadda, yadda, yadda...but at least I don't have to deal with the constant chaffing between the HRM strap and my bra that rubs my sides raw and bleeds).
2023-07-19 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

'Morning, all.  2500 in the pool this morning with a LOT of shorter freestyle repeats.  I stole one of Sara Mclarty's workouts from her blog and it was a really good session focusing on pacing.  Short time trial in my tour today at lunchtime...I can almost see Paris!

@Gretchen:  I only use my HR strap on the bike, and I've given up on the run as my watch tends to read my cadence rather than my HR so I just go by RPE and pace.

2023-07-19 11:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2200m swim this morning with masters. Should also be an hour bike this afternoon, but we are in flash flood warnings and monster storms are moving through...oh...and my bike is still at the shop getting a tune up after the beating it took in Egypt. They were supposed to have it done yesterday. I might go to the gym and do the ride on a spin bike, just to get it done, but then again, it could also be moved to Saturday, after my swim when it is supposed to be nice out. Decisions...decisions...
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland