BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-09-30 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1705094

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!
Leslie...GREAT pictures...I love that age and the unconditional nature they approach everything with...especially having FUN.

2008-09-30 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1705012

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

SSMinnow - 2008-09-29 9:40 PM Ok, so we are coping with the loss of our friend when we get a call last night.  One of my husband's employees died of a heart attack in the bathroom of the ER.  He was less than 50 years old and has an 8th grader and a senior in highschool.  And to top it off, another woman in his office who is just a mere 28 years old who has been battling ovarian cancer is back in the hospital.  As you can imagine, the whole company is simply devastated.  I always find it so hard to understand the why behind this kind of stuff.  It just seems so wrong......

You will be in our thoughts and prayers...as will those in your husband's company...I am not sure we ever fully grasp the "why" of a situation like this and I find what helps me get through it is to focus my energy on trying to help those who are most affected and keeping my mind and hands busy with them. 

Steve

2008-10-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Why is it so dang quiet in the manatee corner lately?  Busy, busy, busy???????

I am rehabing and seeing nearly every quack (oops), I mean practioner around trying to figure out what is going on.  One race cancelled, but still holding on to CIM for now.

What's up people?????

2008-10-06 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Busy busy busy here too.....didn't get to work out today so I am kind of bumming about that while trying to not beat myself up.  I could drag out to the gym, but I am really just feeling like climbing into bed with a book tonight.  Cold, wind, rain and I am poopy tired.  So there.  Ran a 10k yesterday and did well, under 55 minutes which is what I wanted to achieve.  I'd never run a timed 10k before!  I have a 10-mile trail run at the end of the month, so I need to up my distance now or suffer later!

My baby turns 3 on Thursday.  Chuck E Cheese is on the agenda.  That's all he wanted for his birthday so I had to agree to it or be nagged to death!  After that, it's my 7 year anniversary (14 years together, though) and I am hoping to leave town for the weekend (maybe to Portland, OR).....in between, lots of busy-ness....both boys in soccer, homeowner's association stuff ramping up, and generally trying to catch up on my life as usual!  We are going to Washington DC for Thanksgiving week again.....so that's on my radar.  Much to do.

I'll try to check in more often, I just get going on my day and don't get back online!  Big hugs to all.....

2008-10-06 9:52 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I'm back.

Let's get it started in here, let's get it started in here

Deepest, deepest thanks to the amazing Manatees who inspired me and checked in on me and were my hope and light during the dark days.

But I'm getting better and can help keep things livelier around here. Thank you all also who kept posting and keeping us updated and encouraging each other.

2008-10-06 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1722784

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Glad to see some of you FINE ladies back.  Been busy myself and trying to ramp the mileage up for half-mary later this month.  Coaching softball at the high school was ver today so I am going to have some more time to get the needed training in.

Glad to see that our fearless leaders are back in action.  Yanti is back on the boards and back in the light .....and Beth is thinking about doing a half-mary after moving half way across the country....aren't these Manatee Mentor Maidens just marvelous...I'm just saying. 

Steve

2008-10-07 12:05 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yay! It's great to see you guys again! Especially Yanti's spider!

I'm glad everyone's keeping busy. I am too. I had a half mary yesterday, and I'm still training for CIM in December. It'll be weird not racing in November -- I don't think I've gone a month without a race since, like, February.
2008-10-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1723128

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Hope your race went well Erin.
2008-10-08 1:20 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Manatees!  Looks like everyone is doing well and keeping busy

I have to admit I even like Yanti's spider - I remember the one from last year, when she actually had the spider on her face - (I like this one better )

I'm trying to get into the swing of things - the first month in PA has been a bit bumpy (well maybe more than a bit), but I think we're starting to turn the corner

I can't recall if I mentioned this or not (and I'm too lazy to go back and look) - but, we found a renter!  that is a huge weight off of the shoulders

we're having an 'estate' sale this weekend to see how much of the furniture we left behind we can sell - what we can't sell we'll donate (family members will be holding down the fort and accepting reasonable offers)

September was pretty much a wash for me from a workout standpoint - good thing I had the challenge or I probably wouldn't have even done the piddly amount that I did, oh well - that is in the past right?

I'm seriously contemplating doing a 1/2 Mary the Sunday before Thanksgiving - not much time I know, but my goal would be to complete it, not to be competitive in it.  There is an 8k distance that I can do as a back up (isn't that a weird distance?)

I need to get my brain back and engaged in something other than worrying and I need to get my body back into training - soooo, here's my approach

From my blog: (have I mentioned that I'm lazy efficient? )

I have made up my mind - I'm going to commit to running a race on Nov 23. I'm going to commit to making a final decision in 3 weeks, and it will be a more educated decision.

The only thing that is keeping me from signing up for the 1/2 Mary right now, is risk of injury - so, what I've decided to do is to follow a 1/2 Mary training plan for the next 3 weeks and see how my body holds up to the volume - if I'm feeling good after the 3 weeks, I'll sign up for the longer distance - if not, I'll go for the 8K

I have until Nov 14 to register - and I'm already going to have to pay the full amount, so nothing lost other than I will feel better about the decision when I make it

I figure this way I'm being smart about the physical realities and can engage my brain at the same time.

any thoughts from the manatees are always welcome!

I hope everyone is having a great week!

2008-10-17 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1727513

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Just checking in on my favorite Manatees.  Haven't had a great week but I have a 14 miler in the morning and I am looking forward to that...yes I'm serious

This group has been awful quiet lately...I hope we can pick it back up now that racing (tri season that is) is wrapping up.  These groups are a great motivator for me especially during the fall/winter and I think this is the best bunch I have been with.

Everyone have a great weekend and be safe and train hard.

Steve

2008-10-17 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i have been busy working 12-16 hours days all month....so no training for me, but one , and i was run down and ended up at my local urgent care. some great antibiotics did cure me. but it has paid off the arena that i work at had its grand opening yesterday, and our first event is next friday night. the los angles lakers will be playing an exhibition game here,and you can even see it on espn next friday. so now maybe i can get back to training...i hope everyone is well, and can resist that tasty halloween candy. enjoy your training.

2008-10-18 7:04 AM

User image

Champion

Happy Saturday from the Midwest where I have the heat on in my house!

Finally made the decision to bag CIM and focus on getting healthy, doing some more biking and swimming and a little less running before heading into my Boston plan.  Sorry, Erin.  I promise to send good vibes to you the entire day.  I know you will do great.

My husband is on week one of his retirement.  So far he has not driven me completely crazy, but that may be partly due to the fact I travelled for work most of the week.Smile

Enjoy the weekend!

Suzy

2008-10-20 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi gang....I've been away from BT (at least from my usual forum and log reading that I like to do) for a while.  Life's been really busy.  We got to take a little vacation this weekend, just hubby and I, which was much needed.  I am signed up to do a 10-mile trail run on Sunday which will be tough...I have not been running enough lately due to being hit by the fall cold that was going around.  Oh well...I know I can do it, just probably slower than I would like. 

Thanks to you guys for stopping by my blog once in a while.  I do write it for you, ya know!    I hope to find more online time soon.  And training time, as well.

--Leslie

2008-10-20 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1755342

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-10-20 8:27 PM

Hi gang....I've been away from BT (at least from my usual forum and log reading that I like to do) for a while.  Life's been really busy.  We got to take a little vacation this weekend, just hubby and I, which was much needed.  I am signed up to do a 10-mile trail run on Sunday which will be tough...I have not been running enough lately due to being hit by the fall cold that was going around.  Oh well...I know I can do it, just probably slower than I would like. 

Thanks to you guys for stopping by my blog once in a while.  I do write it for you, ya know!    I hope to find more online time soon.  And training time, as well.

--Leslie

Hope you and DH had a great get-away.  I am sure you will do fine in your 10-miler.  You have a very good base and that will help carry you through.  Just remember that slow and steady might not really win the race but it will keep you from getting an injury.

Steve

2008-10-20 10:34 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

thought that you would enjoy a picture of someone that you all know!

obtw....she is the cute one on the left! 

2008-10-20 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1755662

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-10-20 11:34 PM

Beth + Julie + Major alcohol......you know with a little notice I could have caught a flight from Atl.  We do have 1 or 2 or 4000 or so of those a day from here.

2008-10-21 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1755726

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-10-21 12:40 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-10-20 11:34 PM

Beth + Julie + Major alcohol......you know with a little notice I could have caught a flight from Atl.  We do have 1 or 2 or 4000 or so of those a day from here.

Dang!  I knew I should have stayed for the weekend!

2008-10-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1751187

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I am not sure if San Francisco is ready for you Steve....JK!

so if there are all those flights...what's keepin ya? huh? huh?

I can take you on a whirlwind tour....so, when the wifey is all healed and better and recuperate from her surgery...I think it is time for you to take her on a nice trip to SF? eh? I can be your chauffer! what fun we can have...going to see all the great sites - golden gate bridge and park, fishermans wharf, china town, sausalito, marin, lombard street, coit tower, sutro baths, ocean beach.......

good luck in your race this weekend! remember to follow those ponytails and remember WARNING WARNING....do not turn at that spot you did last year. Now that I have gotten to know you - I know how giving you are.....and you were more then likely in that giving mood and  just giving your competition a chance to get some hardware. right?

2008-10-21 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1756109

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-10-21 10:09 AM

I can take you on a whirlwind tour....so, when the wifey is all healed and better and recuperate from her surgery...I think it is time for you to take her on a nice trip to SF? eh? I can be your chauffer! what fun we can have...going to see all the great sites - golden gate bridge and park, fishermans wharf, china town, sausalito, marin, lombard street, coit tower, sutro baths, ocean beach.......

good luck in your race this weekend! remember to follow those ponytails and remember WARNING WARNING....do not turn at that spot you did last year. Now that I have gotten to know you - I know how giving you are.....and you were more then likely in that giving mood and  just giving your competition a chance to get some hardware. right?

You have no idea how much I would LOVE a trip like that....wifey however...not so much.  But believe me that has never stopped me in the past.  In fact I was just talking to someone last night about me having never gone to Cali. and how we might just pick out a "destination race" on the west coast and go.  I am passing up a baseball convention in San Diego in Jan to do the Disney Marathon so I feel like I "owe" myself a trip to S.F..

Thanks for the invite...be safe.

Steve

2008-10-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1756895

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Reno8 - 2008-10-21 10:49 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-10-21 10:09 AM

You have no idea how much I would LOVE a trip like that....wifey however...not so much.  But believe me that has never stopped me in the past.  In fact I was just talking to someone last night about me having never gone to Cali. and how we might just pick out a "destination race" on the west coast and go.  I am passing up a baseball convention in San Diego in Jan to do the Disney Marathon so I feel like I "owe" myself a trip to S.F..

Thanks for the invite...be safe.

Steve

absolutely! would love to hang with you...I know you and my DH would totally hit it off! and we do have a guest room...with a nice big comfy king bed! so, whatcha waitin on!? remember there are 4000 flights heading this way!

2008-10-27 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

SIX days without a post in here?  That's insane.  Let's talk about off season training, ok?  I've been reading a lot of books about it, does that count?  My goal is to swim 2-3x a week, run at least 4 days with one long run (*when I can, story to follow), strength train 2x a week and get on the bike, either spinning or trainer or even outdoors, 1-2x a week in the early off season and more as spring approaches.  This may be revised in the near future:

*I messed up my ankle trail running yesterday--I am pretty sure I tore my ligaments.  I heard a huge pop when I stepped down (nothing glamorous, like when leaping over a fallen tree, or stepping on a rock....) and it hurt like a lot and swelled up immediately.  I had to walk out of the run course for over a mile on it, so that sucked.  It's pretty bad today and I am hoping to see my PT later this morning to see what he thinks about it.  It's not broken, at least! 

So, what are y'all up to.  I know it's marathon season for some of you and that's the focus, but still, let's talk about off season training!

2008-10-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1767686

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Hi, gang!! Sorry I've been so absentee lately. Real Life caught up to me.

Medusa_Ann - 2008-10-27 9:02 AM

*I messed up my ankle trail running yesterday--I am pretty sure I tore my ligaments. I heard a huge pop when I stepped down (nothing glamorous, like when leaping over a fallen tree, or stepping on a rock....) and it hurt like a lot and swelled up immediately. I had to walk out of the run course for over a mile on it, so that sucked. It's pretty bad today and I am hoping to see my PT later this morning to see what he thinks about it. It's not broken, at least!

Yikes!! Sorry to hear about that, Leslie. Although I guess it's good you injured it in the off season -- your timing is right on! Take good care of yourself and rest that ankle.

I'm nearing my peak marathon training so it seems a little weird to think off season, but the truth is I've been putting a lot of thought into it (hey, gotta think about something no those long runs). My plans depend on how the marathon goes. If I enjoy the experience, I'll run another one next year, either late winter or early spring. If I hate it, I'll probably spend my off season trying to get faster at shorter races, like 10k or half mary distance. Either way I want to keep my weekly mileage up, because I really do enjoy all the running.

Unless I can talk a friend into doing a tri next year, I probably won't be putting much time into swim/bike in the off season. Once the marathon's over I'm looking forward to getting back some weekend time and doing more hiking with friends. The winter's a great time for hiking in the Bay Area, when everything's green and lush.
2008-10-27 1:54 PM

User image

Champion

Leslie, I hope your ankle is ok.  I can certainly see how that would happen, but hopefully it won't set you back too much.

Erin, your comment regarding green and lush is killing me.  We had snow flurries and it is grey and windy in Mad town.  We are heading into my favorite time of the year to travel!!

I too, have been thinking of the off season since I am still injured .  I have five weeks before I start my 20 weeks build up for Boston.    I am keeping my fingers crossed I am well by then.   I signed up for a train with power bike class that meets 2 days a week, hope to swim 3-4 times a week since it is my weakest link and run as much as the bod will allow.  No strength training for me (already look like a mini hulk), but lots of stretching.

2008-10-27 3:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Leslie, I am so sorry to hear about your ankle! YIKES! Super fingers crossed for ya.

Suzy, also keeping fingers crossed regarding your "rehab" and I am sure you'll be good to go in time to build for Boston.

Julie, it's WONDERFUL to have you posting in here!

Great to hear everyone's "off-season" plans.

I just started training again for a marathon--L.A. marathon to benefit AIDS Project L.A. I'm starting to feel useful and happy and whole again. Energy's not up to 100% but good Lord, I'd be surprised if it didn't take at least a few months for that!

Oceanside 70.3 is six weeks after L.A. marathon and the So Cal Cool Kids are all doing that, so probably I'll just throw in some nice long rides between now and then and have fun with it. No pressure.

2008-10-28 11:27 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi everyone!

so, on the topic of off season training - here's what I'm thinking (from my blog, cuz I'm lazy efficient like that )

So, I've been giving this 1/2 Mary race a lot of thought.  I think I might have been able to be ready by 11/23 to at least complete the distance if I hadn't gotten sick.

At this point after having missed so many days of training, it seems like it would be foolish for me to try and get to that distance that quickly.

I'm looking for a 1/2 Mary that I can do in the spring, I figure that would give me plenty of time and would be in support of my goal to be able to do a 1/2 IM in 2010.

I did find one possiblility on April 18 - it's not too far from where I live - over an hour, but doable.

http://www.jerseyshorerelay.org/index.php?p=registration

With this as a possible target (if it's not this particular race, I'll find one in the same general timeframe) I uploaded the beginner 1/2 IM training plan to start on Saturday.

Why the 1/2 IM and not a 1/2 Mary plan you ask, and why start on Saturday? 

Well, I miss swimming and biking (mostly swimming ) and I figure if I do a 1/2 IM plan, I will certainly get the running distance in that will prepare me for a 1/2 Mary.  I'm starting in on Sat, cuz the longer workouts for the week seemed to fall on those days, so I thought I would start it on a day that I could get the workouts in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47