BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-05-27 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3521828

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-05-27 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3522366

Bronze member
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED
dhopman - 2011-05-27 3:51 PM

So me and my 3 other training buddies have been doing tri's together for the last few years now. I've pretty much dominated all of them, but I knew the other guys made huge fitness gains leading up to IMTX. Long story short, I got beat by one of my buddies...by 7 stupid minutes. Now I'm thinking about all the ways I could have made up that time...here are our splits...mine first, then his:

Swim: 1:06:23 / 1:26:31

T1: 4:28 / 5:56

Bike: 5:54:49 / 5:27:23

T2: 5:40 / 3:05

Run: 4:34:05 / 4:35:20

Swim - Obviously this was his weakness. I really could have pushed harder on the swim...I don't think it would have had a huge impact on my overall performance since I'm a front quadrant swimmer and you really don't need your arms feeling fresh for the bike or run. Both of us went sans wetsuit. I think a couple minutes faster on this leg wouldn't have been a huge increase in effort. Oh, I cramped my left calf twice too which didn't help.

T1 - I was happy with T1 - nothing to change here.

Bike - This was clearly my buddy's strength. He biked over 27 minutes faster than me. I was really happy with my time and effort management though. Here's the kicker - he has a Cervelo tri bike and aero helmet. I have neither. His aero set up on a flat course like this was easily a 5-10 minute advantage.

T2 - I changed socks and didn't have Yankz. I know he did have Yankz. My fault for not taking advantage of that really. It probably cost me another 30 seconds.

Run - This was purely a mental game I think. The course had three loops. I saw him on loops one and two, and knew I was about 8-10 minutes behind him. I hit a really rough patch at the start of lap 3, had to walk and just couldn't get started again. More mental toughness in that moment could have cut my mile walk down to half a mile - that's probably a few minutes saved. Also, I was walking longer than I needed to through the aid stations. It's just not necessary to walk through the WHOLE aid station. Grab what you need, get it down, grab your sponges, and get going again. That strategy would have easily saved me another few minutes. Little did I know that my buddy was hurting worse than I was on lap 3. I actually made up a little time on him that lap despite my full mile of walking.

At the end of the race I definitely had some gas left in the tank. He ended up in medical getting two bags of IV fluid. I'm glad I wasn't in his situation but I wish I had pushed a little more.

Okay I'll stop whining. There's always something to improve right? I don't know if I'll ever do another Ironman...but these lessons could probably be applied at the Oly/70.3 distance too - which I'll definitely stay active in.

Happy Friday 'yall.

PS - I think over half my toe nails are black or are about to be. =)

You had an awesome race. I don't care what your friend did. And for goodness sake don't post a pic of your toes!

2011-05-27 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3435035

was only planning to ride about 20 anyway...so no big deal.  Had a good run this morning, and looking forward to this weekends "short" long ride/run.  Playing in a work golf tournament on Monday...two days of work...then off to the Big Island to swim with my 16 foot striped friends.

2011-05-27 6:59 PM

Bronze member
I'm changing my weekend workout in a major way tomorrow. My plan calls for 8 repeats of 4 min run, 10 min bike, 4 min run I guess for transition practice. Instead I'm going on a 75 mile bike tour with a group of friends. This will be my longest ride ever. Hope I don't screw up my plan too much but I'm going to do it anyway!
2011-05-27 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3522366

Elite
Ontario
dhopman - 2011-05-27 4:51 PM

So me and my 3 other training buddies have been doing tri's together for the last few years now. I've pretty much dominated all of them, but I knew the other guys made huge fitness gains leading up to IMTX. Long story short, I got beat by one of my buddies...by 7 stupid minutes. Now I'm thinking about all the ways I could have made up that time...here are our splits...mine first, then his:

Swim: 1:06:23 / 1:26:31

T1: 4:28 / 5:56

Bike: 5:54:49 / 5:27:23

T2: 5:40 / 3:05

Run: 4:34:05 / 4:35:20

Swim - Obviously this was his weakness. I really could have pushed harder on the swim...I don't think it would have had a huge impact on my overall performance since I'm a front quadrant swimmer and you really don't need your arms feeling fresh for the bike or run. Both of us went sans wetsuit. I think a couple minutes faster on this leg wouldn't have been a huge increase in effort. Oh, I cramped my left calf twice too which didn't help.

T1 - I was happy with T1 - nothing to change here.

Bike - This was clearly my buddy's strength. He biked over 27 minutes faster than me. I was really happy with my time and effort management though. Here's the kicker - he has a Cervelo tri bike and aero helmet. I have neither. His aero set up on a flat course like this was easily a 5-10 minute advantage.

T2 - I changed socks and didn't have Yankz. I know he did have Yankz. My fault for not taking advantage of that really. It probably cost me another 30 seconds.

Run - This was purely a mental game I think. The course had three loops. I saw him on loops one and two, and knew I was about 8-10 minutes behind him. I hit a really rough patch at the start of lap 3, had to walk and just couldn't get started again. More mental toughness in that moment could have cut my mile walk down to half a mile - that's probably a few minutes saved. Also, I was walking longer than I needed to through the aid stations. It's just not necessary to walk through the WHOLE aid station. Grab what you need, get it down, grab your sponges, and get going again. That strategy would have easily saved me another few minutes. Little did I know that my buddy was hurting worse than I was on lap 3. I actually made up a little time on him that lap despite my full mile of walking.

At the end of the race I definitely had some gas left in the tank. He ended up in medical getting two bags of IV fluid. I'm glad I wasn't in his situation but I wish I had pushed a little more.

Okay I'll stop whining. There's always something to improve right? I don't know if I'll ever do another Ironman...but these lessons could probably be applied at the Oly/70.3 distance too - which I'll definitely stay active in.

Happy Friday 'yall.

PS - I think over half my toe nails are black or are about to be. =)

It's funny how competitive we get - some may say obsessive (I'm not looking in a mirror).  I've been beaten by my training partner in every single race we ever did from Try a Tri to HIM.  Last year he beat me by 22 sec in the final Sprint of the season.  I've been thinking about how to cross the finish line in front of him for the past 3 years.

3 weeks from now I get another shot.  I really have no idea how I'll feel afterwards, happy if I'm better than him that day - or do I become even more obsessive over needing to stay ahead of him from now on!  I wish I could shut my mind off about these things sometimes.

2011-05-27 7:21 PM

So as you may have noticed, I updated my avatar from a recent race picture.  Then I took a closer look, and zoomed in on it a bit and noticed something I haven't really seen before...I mean I knew my legs were getting a bit more toned from the past year of training...but had no idea they looked like this when racing.

(Run5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Run5.JPG (28KB - 13 downloads)

2011-05-28 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3522576

Pro
Nutmeg State
tri808 - 2011-05-27 8:21 PM

So as you may have noticed, I updated my avatar from a recent race picture.  Then I took a closer look, and zoomed in on it a bit and noticed something I haven't really seen before...I mean I knew my legs were getting a bit more toned from the past year of training...but had no idea they looked like this when racing.

Not ewww, hot.  When I was at the doctor for my back issue she told me I had good quad definition, I think it just shows how much hard work you've put in.

2011-05-28 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3522562

Pro
Nutmeg State

trigal38 - 2011-05-27 7:59 PM I'm changing my weekend workout in a major way tomorrow. My plan calls for 8 repeats of 4 min run, 10 min bike, 4 min run I guess for transition practice. Instead I'm going on a 75 mile bike tour with a group of friends. This will be my longest ride ever. Hope I don't screw up my plan too much but I'm going to do it anyway!

Have fun! 

2011-05-28 2:11 PM

2011-05-28 2:13 PM

2011-05-28 3:02 PM

Bronze member
Back from the bike ride. It went great! Just what I needed after my abysmal ride last weekend. 73 miles and the weather was awesome. 70 degrees with very little wind. The little bit of wind we had was at our backs for the majority of the ride. My legs are tired but other than that I feel fine. So glad I went.

2011-05-28 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3522762

Bronze member
kaburns1214 - 2011-05-28 6:01 AM
tri808 - 2011-05-27 8:21 PM

Not ewww, hot.  When I was at the doctor for my back issue she told me I had good quad definition, I think it just shows how much hard work you've put in.

X2 - My husband took a photo of me running in a tri and my I think my legs look like a man. I'll see if I can find it. I remember thinking the same thing - Eww!

2011-05-28 4:22 PM

Had a fun 40ish mile ride this morning.  Winds were whipping, but pretty much what I'm going to expect next week.

I know my race is approaching when I start having weird dreams.  Last night I dreamed I woke up late for this morning's ride, then rushed down to catch the group, only to have a flat.  Then when I tried to change it...all I had with me were mountain bike tubes...LOL.

2011-05-28 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3523046

Pro
Nutmeg State

Fred Doucette - 2011-05-28 3:11 PM Kelly how is the back doing?

Ohhhh the back.  PT thinks is a partially bulging disk in the lower back.  Doing the PT, doing about half my runs in the water and splitting my bikes to try to relieve lower back pressure. 

Essentially trying to get my training in while still letting my back heal.  Its not getting worse so I guess that's some improvement.

2011-05-28 5:02 PM

Bronze member

Ok - here is the pic I was talking about. I took one look at it and thought "Is that really what I look like?!".

2011-05-29 5:53 AM

2011-05-29 6:06 AM

2011-05-29 10:14 AM

Bronze member
That's a great photo!
2011-05-29 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3523597

2011-05-29 11:33 AM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Hope everyone is enjoying the Memorial Day weekend with some good training.  I had a monster training triathlon yesterday and today is rest.  Golfed (and walked) 18 holes this morning and we're now heading out to my brother's place for a bit of an afternoon Memorial Day party!
2011-05-29 4:13 PM

Got in my last long run...well it was only about 8 miles...but felt really strong throughout.  Then swam about 1k.

Going for a 90ish minute ride tomorrow, then playing in a golf tournament in the afternoon.  Tuesday should just be a easy run...Wednesday short run and swim...then it's off to Kona.

On a downer note...just heard one of our training members was clipped by a car last week.  She broke a bone in her arm and had surgery.  She'll be out for the HIM, but may get the ok from the doctor to race IM CDA...which is her A race. 

The way the accident was described to me was that she was coming down a slight hill in which you can get up to 30 mph coasting...riding in the wide shoulder.  The car that clipped her was coming from the other direction, and wanted to make a left turn in front of her coming across traffic.  The problem was that there was a line of cars in the left lane (going the same direction as the biker), so they stopped and formed a gap for the driver to make the left turn.  So naturally he made the left, but the cars were blocking his vision from seeing the biker (she's only about 5' and rides a 650 bike).  So yes, while the driver is at fault...there could have been some precaution taken by the rider when the cars were backed up and the gap was formed.  She didn't see the car at all because she was riding aero and if anything was looking to the right to see if cars were coming out of the right side of the street rather than from the left.

So just be careful out there.  While we may have the right of way...we can still do our part to be alert and help avoid accidents.  Not every accident is because someone is talking on their cell phone or texting.  Sometimes the honestly don't see us.

2011-05-30 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3523831

Bronze member
tri808 - 2011-05-29 4:13 PM

Got in my last long run...well it was only about 8 miles...but felt really strong throughout.  Then swam about 1k.

Going for a 90ish minute ride tomorrow, then playing in a golf tournament in the afternoon.  Tuesday should just be a easy run...Wednesday short run and swim...then it's off to Kona.

On a downer note...just heard one of our training members was clipped by a car last week.  She broke a bone in her arm and had surgery.  She'll be out for the HIM, but may get the ok from the doctor to race IM CDA...which is her A race. 

The way the accident was described to me was that she was coming down a slight hill in which you can get up to 30 mph coasting...riding in the wide shoulder.  The car that clipped her was coming from the other direction, and wanted to make a left turn in front of her coming across traffic.  The problem was that there was a line of cars in the left lane (going the same direction as the biker), so they stopped and formed a gap for the driver to make the left turn.  So naturally he made the left, but the cars were blocking his vision from seeing the biker (she's only about 5' and rides a 650 bike).  So yes, while the driver is at fault...there could have been some precaution taken by the rider when the cars were backed up and the gap was formed.  She didn't see the car at all because she was riding aero and if anything was looking to the right to see if cars were coming out of the right side of the street rather than from the left.

So just be careful out there.  While we may have the right of way...we can still do our part to be alert and help avoid accidents.  Not every accident is because someone is talking on their cell phone or texting.  Sometimes the honestly don't see us.

I

I hope your training friend recovers quickly and isn't afraid of getting back on the bike. My brother in law and I were discussing bicycle traffic the other night. He didn't even know bicycles have rights on the road just like a car. He is a super nice guy, he just really didn't know! Now get someone out there who is not a super nice guy and doesn't know - scary.

2011-05-30 6:34 AM

Bronze member

Slogged out an hour run yesterday. My legs were dead after that long ride on Saturday. I waited until late afternoon (4:30) to give my legs some time to wake up. That helped but then it was 88 degrees outside LOL. Oh well, I went to a local trail and there was a nice breeze so the heat did not bother me much. For once I was happy I forgot to recharge my Garmin - so I didn't have to see how slow I was running I kept telling myself it was good practice for the race. I could barely will my legs to move but once I got going I got in a groove and actually felt like I could have gone that pace for a lot longer.

It will be a mental challenge for me in the race. I hit about 3 hours of a long workout and just start thinking this is stupid. I could be home with my family, I don't want to do this anymore blah, blah, blah. Anybody else have to fight those kind of negative messages?

Fred I kept thinking about that 17 mile workout you had to do and then my sad little run and laughing at myself.

2011-05-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3524181

2011-05-30 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3524181

Expert
Dina, Good job!  Mental training is also important as you push thru these sessions!  I come up with a multitude of reasons why I should stop, but its the success of pushing thru these that is yet another victory to celebrate

Edited by jimmyb 2011-05-30 9:30 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65