General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Hi all, I've been pretty quite around here lately but hope everyone is enjoying the taper. Had the weirdest sensation yesterday when wrapping up a 4 hour trainer ride..realized that my next one would be a mere 2 hours..then a race day. Really odd feeling not having a 4 or greater hour session coming up in training. Guess sh*t is getting real

2013-06-10 11:02 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
So my Taper plan has me doing a 30min swim and then 3 hour bike ride on this coming Saturday. Seems a little stout 8 days before the race, should I just do it or cut it down a little? I do have two days off training this week.
2013-06-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Originally posted by MRGIBBS

So my Taper plan has me doing a 30min swim and then 3 hour bike ride on this coming Saturday. Seems a little stout 8 days before the race, should I just do it or cut it down a little? I do have two days off training this week.

Mine calls for a 30 min swim, 2 to 2:30 on the bike and and 20-30 transition run. Mine is a generic plan from a book so they give big windows and leave it up to you. They do emphasize that the point of the next couple of weeks is to absorb all the training that you have already done.....
2013-06-10 11:35 AM

User image

Originally posted by spie34

I did the ride today for the most part. Started out pretty good headed to PF on the trail but then someone decided to cross over the trail in front of me right before I was going to yell on your left. Well ended up hitting the brakes and knocking the lady down. I went off the trail into the ditch as well. Luckily not hurt.

1:30 run tomorrow followed by the 45 minute ride that I will stretch to an hour more than likely.

Glad you or the lady weren't seriously hurt......I always worry about that when I ride our local bike path.
2013-06-10 11:42 AM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by johnyutah5

Mine calls for a 30 min swim, 2 to 2:30 on the bike and and 20-30 transition run. Mine is a generic plan from a book so they give big windows and leave it up to you. They do emphasize that the point of the next couple of weeks is to absorb all the training that you have already done.....

Seems heavy to me. As a comparison, my longest ride from here on out is 30 miles with intensity built in. At this point, my body needs to absorb the fitness I've built up the last 6 weeks.

Less is more is always good guidance at this point.
2013-06-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Originally posted by dkahns51

Well confidence booster for me today.. it was closer to a 1:38 pace but i was swimming circles for the last .1 so the GPS wasnt picking up movement lol.

Nice job on the swim, great confidence booster for sure.

2013-06-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I think I will shorten my ride time but put in some good hills for intensity.

I spoke with a guy at a party. I am horrible with names. He is in charge of the swim portion of the race. There will be 4 lanes for people to line up in at the beginning. All four lanes with have volunteers holding Time Cards. These will be the times expected to finish your first lap(ie 35mins is a 1:10 swim finish) If you show up late to the swim...and are a fast swimmer, they probably will not allow you to take "Cuts" in front of those already standing in the lanes. The lanes will allow for a slow continuous stream of people into the water.

What is everyones expected time to seed themselves?
2013-06-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Originally posted by GatorDeb

It's NEXT WEEK people!!!!!!!! Eek!

So I'm one of those who needs the full 17 hours. I emailed them and told them, I know that your plan is to get everyone started by 7a, but what happens if for some reason the last portion of people is delayed and the last person starts the race after 7a, let's say 7:30a, does that person have until 12:30a to finish? And they said no, they only have 'til midnight regardless of start time. I don't want more or less time, I want 17 hours, and want to start closer to 7a.

How do you all think this is gonna work out? I'm a slower swimmer (and biker, and runner ha).

As an aside, does anyone know at what mile point the second cutoff for the swim and run are at? Thanks!

This is from the website under swim FAQ:

Will the bike and run cut-offs change according to the time of the final athlete entering the water?

No. Bike and run cut-offs are as follows:

Bike Cut-Offs
The first bike cut-off is at the start of the second loop of the bike course (56 mile marker) at 1:30 p.m. Any rider who has not reached the start of the second loop of the bike by 1:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. There is a second bike cut-off at the turnaround at Highway 95 (mile marker 92) at 4 p.m. Athletes that have
not reached the turnaround by 4 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. The bike course will close at 5:30 p.m. Athletes arriving at the bike dismount line after 5:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue.
Run Cut-Offs
The run cut-off will be at the halfway point (13.1 miles) of the run at 9 p.m. at the Lakeside turnaround. There is a second cut-off at Bennett Bay Hill at 10:30 p.m. (mile marker 19.7).
What happens if I finish before the midnight cut-off but I have a finish time of more than 17 hours?
IRONMAN Coeur d’Alene, athletes who finish before the midnight cut-off but have a finishing time of more than 17 hours will not be considered an official IRONMAN finisher and will not be eligible for age-group awards or for IRONMAN World Championship slots or Rolldown slots).

2013-06-10 6:45 PM

User image

Regular

I spoke with a guy at a party. I am horrible with names. He is in charge of the swim portion of the race. There will be 4 lanes for people to line up in at the beginning. All four lanes with have volunteers holding Time Cards. These will be the times expected to finish your first lap(ie 35mins is a 1:10 swim finish) If you show up late to the swim...and are a fast swimmer, they probably will not allow you to take "Cuts" in front of those already standing in the lanes. The lanes will allow for a slow continuous stream of people into the water.

I'm shooting for 1:20 swim which is about 1:55/100 yards. I think that will seed me where I need to be. Hopefully I make the correct choice on swimming so I am not pushing too hard trying to get around others or getting run over by others.
2013-06-10 6:48 PM

User image

Regular

I was supposed to run 1:30 yesterday with 45 minute bike to follow. I skipped thinking I would do it today but decided against it as well since I am feeling beat down.

This coming weekend 30 minute swim I believe with 2:30 bike and maybe 30 minute run. I'll see how I feel about it all and go with the flow. I don't believe I need to push right now and more think about what my body is telling me vs 1 month ago push more even though I tired. I want to arrive at the start fresh and eager to go
2013-06-10 8:33 PM

User image

Chilliwack
Originally posted by spie34

I'm shooting for 1:20 swim which is about 1:55/100 yards. I think that will seed me where I need to be. Hopefully I make the correct choice on swimming so I am not pushing too hard trying to get around others or getting run over by others.

I'll be seeding myself at the same time as spie34 around 1:20 for the swim...

Cheers

~Mike

2013-06-10 9:02 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

I would hope to be between 1:10 and 1:15. I will probably seed myself closer to 1:10.
2013-06-10 9:33 PM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Regular
I know this was talked about before but who is up to having a post drink on Monday night? There was talk about Pints Ale house on the north side of Spokane but that can always be changed to something more convenient for all others since most will probably be Spokane Valley to CDA area I would imagine.

So today those thoughts of how am I going to complete the swim have started going through my head than I think ok I get through the swim but 112 miles on the bike? After that then i think about wow I have to run a marathon which I have never done nor have had the desire to do run one either, but for some reason doing it for ironman makes it justifiable to me since that is part of the race and not just the race.

For the out of towners. The weather is great here and the water is warm compared to normal. The wind???? It has been more windy the last week than normal but of course that can always change around here very quickly.
2013-06-10 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I am thinking about seeding at 1:15, I did a half IM about 3 weeks ago and did a 37:39 for the 1.2 and felt fresh coming out of the water. I realized afterwards I didn't even go as hard as I could. Also, I figure a lot of people are going to seed themselves a little higher then they should be so it's very likely to be swimming with people slower than I am anyways. Hope that actually makes sense?
2013-06-10 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by MRGIBBS What is everyones expected time to seed themselves?
I'm gonna seed myself 1:20 and hope to maybe be 5 minutes faster.  I just want to cruise nice and easy and do the same on the bike. 

My real goal is to run the marathon.  If I take it easy and lose a couple of minutes on the swim or a half hour on the bike, I don't care - the time differential between walking and running is more significant.

2013-06-11 1:16 AM
in reply to: roywidget

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by roywidget

So I'm one of those who needs the full 17 hours. I emailed them and told them, I know that your plan is to get everyone started by 7a, but what happens if for some reason the last portion of people is delayed and the last person starts the race after 7a, let's say 7:30a, does that person have until 12:30a to finish? And they said no, they only have 'til midnight regardless of start time. I don't want more or less time, I want 17 hours, and want to start closer to 7a.

How do you all think this is gonna work out? I'm a slower swimmer (and biker, and runner ha).

As an aside, does anyone know at what mile point the second cutoff for the swim and run are at? Thanks!

Will the bike and run cut-offs change according to the time of the final athlete entering the water?

Bike Cut-Offs
The first bike cut-off is at the start of the second loop of the bike course (56 mile marker) at 1:30 p.m. Any rider who has not reached the start of the second loop of the bike by 1:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. There is a second bike cut-off at the turnaround at Highway 95 (mile marker 92) at 4 p.m. Athletes that have
not reached the turnaround by 4 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. The bike course will close at 5:30 p.m. Athletes arriving at the bike dismount line after 5:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue.
Run Cut-Offs
The run cut-off will be at the halfway point (13.1 miles) of the run at 9 p.m. at the Lakeside turnaround. There is a second cut-off at Bennett Bay Hill at 10:30 p.m. (mile marker 19.7).
What happens if I finish before the midnight cut-off but I have a finish time of more than 17 hours?
IRONMAN Coeur d’Alene, athletes who finish before the midnight cut-off but have a finishing time of more than 17 hours will not be considered an official IRONMAN finisher and will not be eligible for age-group awards or for IRONMAN World Championship slots or Rolldown slots).

Ooohh they added the second mile markers, that wasn't there before, awesome. Still sucks that if you start after 7a you get less time, if something happens. I don't care who I have to run over, at 7a I'm jumping in lol Anyone else heard about that other IM that already had a tt start and whether everyone started before 7a?

2013-06-11 5:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
My goal time is 1:20 for the swim. So I'll seed myself close to that. Both my 70.3 swims were in the 39-40 minute range so 1:20 seems about right. Sounds like there might be a group of us standing together in that range.
2013-06-11 5:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Originally posted by roywidget

Bike Cut-Offs
Run Cut-Offs

Ooohh they added the second mile markers, that wasn't there before, awesome. Still sucks that if you start after 7a you get less time, if something happens. I don't care who I have to run over, at 7a I'm jumping in lol Anyone else heard about that other IM that already had a tt start and whether everyone started before 7a?

Deb,
I would just stop worrying about it. I know that is really hard, but just do your best and if that means you finish in 17 or 18 hours who really cares? You have made the journey and the training is done so just enjoy the day and avoid things you can't change. I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that so I hope you don't take it that way. I just think the race is hard enough don't make it harder by worrying about the cutofs too much. If you give your best effort you can't control anything else.
Chris
2013-06-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
My final weekend seems heavy as well, it includes a 50 mile bike/w easy 10 minute run after, 4000m swim and a 10 mile run. The swim I will do, the rest, not likely that many miles.

I am definitely up for a post race beer/pizza/sandwich etc!
2013-06-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I'm quickly becoming the king of skipped workouts. Decided it would be more fun to stay home with the wife and relax instead of as 60 minute run. I ownder how many of these work outs the next two weeks even matter other than to keep the gears moving.
2013-06-11 6:59 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I hear ya. The marathon is still going to hurt no matter what, but I am so addicted to working out at this stage if I dont do some type of exercise I will go crazy. I swear all I think about is June 23. Cant Wait. I am jacked. Just found out my bike is ready at the shop. Aaaah the smell of new rubber. ye haw.

2013-06-11 6:59 PM

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by maverickbassets

I'm quickly becoming the king of skipped workouts. Decided it would be more fun to stay home with the wife and relax instead of as 60 minute run. I ownder how many of these work outs the next two weeks even matter other than to keep the gears moving.

I feel the same way... at this point i don't want to work out at all! I just want to do bare minimum till IM now. I skipped half my swim today but still managed to get my 1:15 on the bike in. And my coach looked over my plan(she didn't write it) and took away my rest day
2013-06-11 9:56 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by dkahns51

Originally posted by maverickbassets

I feel the same way... at this point i don't want to work out at all! I just want to do bare minimum till IM now. I skipped half my swim today but still managed to get my 1:15 on the bike in. And my coach looked over my plan(she didn't write it) and took away my rest day

Glad to know it's not just me. Had planned to do a 2.4 OWS today and about 300 yards from end of the first lap (2 laps to make 2.4 in the lake near by) I just decided to pack it in and go home for breakfast... Unfortunately I still have the appetite of someone that works out 15-20hrs a week so I'm doing these workouts more as a hedge against weight gain than any benefit to my race endurance.

2013-06-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Spokane
Yeah my appetite is out of control right now.. i stocked up on alot of vegetables and fruit so if i do over eat least it will be decent food.
2013-06-12 12:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by maverickbassets I'm quickly becoming the king of skipped workouts. Decided it would be more fun to stay home with the wife and relax instead of as 60 minute run. I ownder how many of these work outs the next two weeks even matter other than to keep the gears moving.
Yep, skipped Masters swim last night to watch my son's basketball game and cut my run short tonight to mow the lawn.  At this point, I just want to stay healthy, relaxed and rested - it's been a long haul, let's get the show on road!

Edited by PrivateIdaho 2013-06-12 12:31 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57