Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2008-09-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
Yeah but I would rather have that swim (a nice casual swim... one guy) vs.... THE UTTER PANDAMONIA that occurs during the mass start!  (By the way the picture below... I probably one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken...-- on the pier in Hawaii 2004)

(Chills.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Chills.JPG (91KB - 15 downloads)

2008-09-10 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Aaaahh Hawaii................... that is a georgous picture.  Now that you mention it, I wonder why that guy was alone?  Race reports from last year said the fog was so thick at the beginning you couldn't see the buoys, maybe he's the only one going the right direction?
2008-09-10 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice pics.

Yay longest swim eva this am 2.38 miles, dang wish I had known how close I was to 2.4.

A lovely OWS air temp 40 F, water temp 60 but felt worse at the start at 6:30 am. Bit of a friction burn on right side of my neck from the wetsuit.

I am thinking I would not want to be in that blender picture from Hawii. Stagger it a bit and ya don't have to worry about the roadkill. I would be tempted to wait 30 seconds and then start if I were in that mess.
2008-09-10 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1664100

User image

Pro

tahrens - 2008-09-10 9:16 AM Aaaahh Hawaii................... that is a georgous picture.  Now that you mention it, I wonder why that guy was alone?  Race reports from last year said the fog was so thick at the beginning you couldn't see the buoys, maybe he's the only one going the right direction?

From what I remember this is an old picture, and that picture was taken of the LEAD SWIMMER, so hence why he is alone?!  I think that is what I read somewhere.

2008-09-10 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Steve told me I had to make people smile today...so I'll give it a shot.  I really miss teaching and am trying to get back to it.  Even though these are not my students, this is a sample of the humor that comes with teaching high schoolers. 

(expand.jpg)

(findX.gif)

(heat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
expand.jpg (43KB - 18 downloads)
findX.gif (5KB - 15 downloads)
heat.jpg (49KB - 16 downloads)
2008-09-10 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
That sure as heck made me laugh!

2008-09-10 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1664384

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hello everyone, just got back from Disney World a few hours ago so had to jump online to say hello.

Anything exciting go on while I was out?

Doing the Nations Tri on sunday as a relay, I am riding the bike portion.

2008-09-10 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1665737

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2008-09-10 4:34 PM

Hello everyone, just got back from Disney World a few hours ago so had to jump online to say hello.

Represent us well!!

(american%20flag.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
american%20flag.jpg (23KB - 18 downloads)
2008-09-10 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1665915

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2008-09-10 8:51 PM
dalessit - 2008-09-10 4:34 PM

Represent us well!!

LOL, I will try.  Took some time off for the vacation and I feel pretty well rested.  I think I was getting run down and my workouts were suffering because if it.

2008-09-11 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1664050

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Good morning Tracy. I would go with what the others have said. On race day up here I have wear my tri gear under the wet suit. I tried going withot the shirt in my first race and it was a huge fight to get it on over my wet body. Arm warmers are great for getting on and off. Definitely go with Steve's idea of dry socks. Your toes will feel like they are ready to fall off if they are wet and cold. Really horrible feeling. Light socks will feel so good when your slip them on. If you think you might be cold on the bike at first go buy a really cheap throw away sweater which you can just ditch once you warm up. With the fog on the water remember that the water is warmer than the air. That is why you are getting the fog. It's quite likely that the water will feel good if the air isn't that warm on race day.
By the time you get out of the water it will have warmed up a bit and you will be warm also from being in your wet suit. You probably won't even think of the temp.

Fortunately for my race on the 21st the weather up here is suppsoed to be good. With the cooler nights we have bee having I wouldn't be suprised if the water temp is in the 60's. Thank goodness for wet suits.

On another note I found a really great sale on a tri bike and now only have to convince my wife I reall really need it before someone else buys it.
2008-09-11 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

In honor of 9-11, and my late father, lets share in some military humor   Glad to see they can keep their sense of humor over there.

2008-09-11 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hey Steve. That swim doesn't sound like much fun at all. Congrats on the distance. Too bad they don't out distance markers out in the OWS for us who practice out doors.
2008-09-11 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Welcome back Tony.  I was thinking of you and your family this week.  I hope you didn't have too much of your vacation rained out.

MY WETSUIT ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!!!  Holy tightness!  I can't imagine wearing anything else underneath that! Or the possibility of being cold!  I am excited to get out and try it. I am feeling a little better about the temp for my race.  The HIM starts an hour before we do, and then I am wave 7, so I am guestimating I won't be starting until after 10am!  That will help. Thanks for all the advise.  I'm sure you guys are right.  I've decided to wear an ear/head band around my ears as well.  Even though it will look kind of silly I have a hard time with cold ears -so that will help and it's easy to pull off if I get hot.  I wear this when I ride in the winter and it is very nice.

And since I am the only girl in this group you guys have to share in this moment with me.....after trying on my wetsuit last night I made the ultimate sacrifice to my sport.  I CUT OFF MY NAILS!!!  Please excuse me while I curl up in a corner and cry   (But I'll be super fast in my wetsuit without holes!)

2008-09-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1666804

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-09-11 9:35 AM

Welcome back Tony.  I was thinking of you and your family this week.  I hope you didn't have too much of your vacation rained out.

MY WETSUIT ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!!!  Holy tightness!  I can't imagine wearing anything else underneath that! Or the possibility of being cold!  I am excited to get out and try it. I am feeling a little better about the temp for my race.  The HIM starts an hour before we do, and then I am wave 7, so I am guestimating I won't be starting until after 10am!  That will help. Thanks for all the advise.  I'm sure you guys are right.  I've decided to wear an ear/head band around my ears as well.  Even though it will look kind of silly I have a hard time with cold ears -so that will help and it's easy to pull off if I get hot.  I wear this when I ride in the winter and it is very nice.

And since I am the only girl in this group you guys have to share in this moment with me.....after trying on my wetsuit last night I made the ultimate sacrifice to my sport.  I CUT OFF MY NAILS!!!  Please excuse me while I curl up in a corner and cry   (But I'll be super fast in my wetsuit without holes!)

No rain in Disney actually, we had a great time oh and

pics?

2008-09-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1666804

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
tahrens - 2008-09-11 9:35 AM

I have tears dripping down my face in empathy as I write this note.
I wear cloth gloves when I put on my rental suit so I don't rip it.

and of course the obligatory "suck it up buttercup" from your SUPPORT team

Edited by Redknight 2008-09-11 8:40 AM
2008-09-11 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Don't make fun of me. This is a big deal!  If Steve gets to say his zit hurts, then I get to mourn my nails!!!

And I thought about taking a picture last night. I put on my swim cap and googles, but when I looked in the mirror I thought I looked (and smelled) like a giant condom with a yellow beanie and fly eyes!  I guess that is worth a picture.

(baby_crying_cartoon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
baby_crying_cartoon.jpg (4KB - 12 downloads)

2008-09-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1666842

User image

Champion
Which wetsuit did you get?
2008-09-11 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1666870

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

dalessit - 2008-09-11 9:59 AM Which wetsuit did you get?

I rented a Sockeye from F2R (Fit 2 Race).  It is actually one of the suits that will be reviewed on the BT wetsuit review video.  The deal was really good, $45 for 29 days, and it looks like the one my husband got was brand new. 

(wetsuit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
wetsuit.jpg (55KB - 13 downloads)
2008-09-11 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
wow that is a good deal. I pay $45 for a week rental.
2008-09-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1666889

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-09-11 10:06 AM

dalessit - 2008-09-11 9:59 AM Which wetsuit did you get?

I rented a Sockeye from F2R (Fit 2 Race).  It is actually one of the suits that will be reviewed on the BT wetsuit review video.  The deal was really good, $45 for 29 days, and it looks like the one my husband got was brand new. 

That is a good deal I think around here you pay 35 bucks for a week.

2008-09-11 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1666898

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

You're right, that is the price I have seen most places. I did a search on BT and most people talked about wetsuitrentals.com, but I think they are also $45-50/week.  F2R was also mentioned in a thread so I thought, "why not?"  I like the extended amount of time I get with the suit.  You don't have a choice of brands - just the full or sleeveless models.  But for the first time in a wetsuit I thought it was worth the chance. 

Here is the website if anyone is interested. http://www.f2r.com/   wetsuits  and wetsuit rentals are under Products.

Edited by tahrens 2008-09-11 9:18 AM

2008-09-11 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hi everyone! 

First off, my apologies for joining the group way back when, posting a bit, then disappearing.  I had a rough time committing myself to training this year and even stopped a couple times.  Each time it was a friend who accidentally got me going again without even knowing it!  One time it was because he was going to do a tri this year, and he asked me about mine and what I was going to do.  That suddenly got me very motivated!

As I started training though, I found I had enough time to log my training, do some inspires, but not really time to read through and respond to any of the forums due to work.  That's lightened up somewhat now, so I hope to get back!

This could be a long read......

What I do want to talk about is what happened to me and my training this year, so that hopefully none of the other newer (not new anymore!) triathletes won't make the same mistake.

I completely took my fitness for granted. Frown

I started off 2007 at 210 lbs and completely unfit.  I was very dedicated to my training, lost 45 lbs, and got 2nd in the MTB division in my first race, and won the MTB division in my 2nd race! Over the course of the fall, I hurt my knee a little, so had to back off the training, and by November/December (primarily due to work) I didn't train at all, or maybe just barely.

January, 2008  rolled around and I was suddenly up to 180 lbs (15 over October), but I figured that's okay, I'm still 30lbs less than last year, so I'll have a great year.  I planned my races, but never got very serious about training since I was so much fitter than 2007. 

My first sprint was going to be in May, followed by my first Oly at the end of June.  Well by April, I wasn't really feeling like doing the sprint, and besides it was a pool swim, and it was kind of distracting since I was getting ready for June.  Nice excuse, eh?  So I never ramped up my training to handle it, besides, I still had over 8 weeks til the Olympic, then 7, 6, 5, 4....

I guess I better get serious now that it's June! Surprised  Finally started to train harder, but the run wasn't there at all.  I couldn't understand why I was so slow - I did 7:30/mi for 5k's in 2007, and was struggling to hit 9:00 now.  I swam 1:40/100 last year, but only 2:00/100 now.

I also finally got a tri-bike in mid-June and rode it exactly ONCE before the race.  I rode the bike fine, but I bought the aero bottle for it the day before the race and never practiced with it.  I set it up that morning, but it tilted and about half of it and it's calories spilled all over me within a few miles.  Being low on nutrition, I completely bonked on the last 1 1/2 miles on the run and didn't enjoy it at all.  All I can say is good thing my bike is fast (too bad I can't say the same for my riding!)

My next Olympic was 3 weeks later in Pittsburgh.  Got in more training, worked out a better nutrition plan so I was all set.  Again my swim was slow, so I wasn't out with the faster riders.  Why did this matter?  Because less than 30 secs into the bike, a guy who couldn't get clipped in decided to stop right in front of me!  The roads and brakes were wet, and I crashed at 19 mph. Frown  There goes the entire aero bottle.  I lost a couple minutes there, but got going and had a decent bike, but without the nutrition and longer training rides, I was toast for the last few miles.  I just went out and did a slow jog on the run because that was all I could muster.

Next up - trip to Ireland to visit my wife's parents for 2+ weeks in August, then back to a Sprint in Akron on Sep 7th.  I wasn't able to get out and run or train much before the trip.  I was going to rent a bike while I was there, but the weather was in the 50's and raining most days, so I didn't bother. 

I was able to swim - a lot, so I finally feel like my swimming is coming back to me.

However when I finally ran there after a two week layoff, I pulled my hamstring almost immediately.  But I decided to perservere and do a 2 mile run.  Stupid.  That was mid-August, and it's still sore!  So I didn't run again the rest of the trip.  Came back, did some light jogging, and did the race last weekend.

Beat my time from last year!  This was the race I won the MTB for last year, but this was like kissing your sister:

Sure enough, my swim was a little faster than last year.  Great on paper - but I wore a wetsuit this year and not last year.  My bike was much faster this year - good thing.  I would have left my tri-bike there if it couldn't beat my MTB!  But my run was a full 4:30 slower!  That's quite an accomplishment in only 5k!

So here I am today.  I have one race left next weekend.  It's kind of between a sprint and olympic - 1000 m swim, 18 mi bike, and 5.5 mi trail run.  With the way my hamstring is feeling, I wish it wasn't on a trail!  I'm doing it with a friend from college - he was our Best Man when we got married in Ireland in 1995.  So I'm looking forward to the fun of doing it with him, rather than worried about my race time.  My running is just light and easy to be sure I can finish.

Right after that I'm going to lay off running for a couple weeks to heal up, then get right back into building up a good base and improve speed so I can have a much better year next year.

So my lessons learned are:

- Don't take fitness for granted.  I had a great 2007 due to my commitment.  I forgot that this year and thought I could pick up where I left off.

- After a layoff, build up slowly.  One training session isn't going to make your season, but it could very easily wreck it.

- Don't try something new on race day.  I've heard that so much, I can't believe I actually made that mistake.

- Have fun!  We're not going to break records or get paid megabucks doing this stuff, so be sure to enjoy it! Cool

I've enjoyed reading the posts lately and seeing how much everyone has done this year - you should all be proud.  It's really a fun way to stay in shape when done right!

Tracy - I jealous of you doing Savageman!  I wanted to do that race, but forgot the date when I told my friend in MI that I was free that weekend to go there.

Steve - those pics from your camping trip are amazing!  I'll never look at our speedbump PA "mountains" the same.

2008-09-11 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think my wetsuit was $180 new, so don't rent one tooo many times 8).

I had this sore muscle just inside my right hip lastnight from the swim. I am sure it was from the swim, it is a muscle used in the TI core rotation. You know one of those muscles you never knew you had until it is sore. So I just took the night off to give it a rest. I imagine things will be fine today as I still have 130 + miles to bike this week.

Work is kind of screwy, 2 of our 3 higher ups gave notice of leaving or retiring as well as our only tech. guy who like built the server that handles 100 computers from remote locations and such. So they bumped up 3 folks to take the 2 jobs with some multiple roles. Bottom line is probably doubling my workload for the foreseeable future. The good news is that my new boss is my friend and runs half marathons so she might be more willing to allow me to flex time for workouts. Bad news is I have to do all her work until they find a replacement for her old position.

1 month to first HIM yay!
2008-09-11 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hey Bob, great to have you back!  We were commenting on how our group has shrunk so it's really nice to hear from you. Sorry you had such a hard time this season.  It sounds like you are back on track.  Maybe we can do SavageMan together next year! 

Baowolf, $180 for a wetsuit?  Where did you find one that cheap?! Is it a full suit?

2008-09-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1667102

User image

Expert
B'ham
tahrens - 2008-09-11 8:02 AM

Hey Bob, great to have you back!  We were commenting on how our group has shrunk so it's really nice to hear from you. Sorry you had such a hard time this season.  It sounds like you are back on track.  Maybe we can do SavageMan together next year! 

Baowolf, $180 for a wetsuit?  Where did you find one that cheap?! Is it a full suit?

I paid $119 (+ shipping) for my full suit.  It's last year's model, so I may not be the most fashionable, but I love it.  I found it new on ebay, you might check it out.

Rob - welcome back and that's some good advice.  I can really see myself doing the same thing because I was in a very similar situation this year (losing weight, getting fit) and tend to take things less seriously the second time around.  So thanks for the heads up!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78