BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Have to catch up on this thread.  Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and support.  9.4 mile run today outside in shorts and sweatshirt.  Ran twice around local lake, including 3 hill repeats at halfway mark.  Felt really good to soak in some sun even if it was 32 degrees.  Good pacing today, just shy of 8:30 miles consistently. 

2013-03-03 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Question for those of you with long distance experience, what are your food/gel/liquid recommendations? Workouts are getting longer, and I'd like to start practicing with different things so I can figure out what works for me. So far, I've found I like PowerGels a lot more than Gu, and I usually have been just going with water. I haven't tried a solid food on the bike yet. Anyone have proven favorites that worked for you?
2013-03-03 5:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Eight mile easy run this morning. Did some bike maintenance this afternoon as well as some chores around the house. Yesterday I noticed a "knot" above my right achilles but below the calf. Same calf I've had problems with. Really worked on it with Stick, roller and self massage/destruction   It didn't bother me at all during the run but I think I'm going to try to get in and get some ART done on it.

Jim-have thought about you many times over the last few days. Great to have you back. Hope you have been taking care of yourself and not just everyone else during this difficult time.

Jamie-Nutrition....big issue and hugely important. I can't address Ironman distance as I haven't done one. For half ironman distance I will be figuring out how many calories per hour on the bike I need to take in. You will be on the bike the longest so it will be most important in getting your nutrition right. Some people do only liquid, some do liquid and gel and some will add in some easy digested solid food...like Honey Stinger Waffles or something similar. I will plan on using liquid and gels to get my calories and hydration on the bike and then waterand gels...probably with caffeine on the run to pull me through. 

I have used primarily Accelerade in races and training but have switched to Fluid brand products. I like the milder taste better. I have used a variety of gel products over the years...Accel Gel, GU and Honey Stinger gels. You will want to try a few during training and see what you like both from a taste standpoint and also what "agrees" with your stomach.  If you plan to live off the course in your longer races then you will want to try what will be available during the race.  

2013-03-03 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Jamie,
I've used different nutrition strategies at all of my IM's . I think the one that worked the best was this year at IMFL. I can send you a PM with details of what was used and timing during the race. You want to keep it simple and easy. It is also very important (IMO) that you have practiced it enough in training that it become second nature on race day. I got to the point that my body knew when 15 minutes was up and it was time to fuel again on the bike. Plus fueling on the bike is a way to pass time and keep your mind occupied! lol...

Which IM are you doing again? Is it a hot race?

One thing that I think most people underestimate during the IM is what they eat/drink on a normal day. I'm used to drinking several Diet Dr. Peppers during the day at the same time. So it was very important during my nutrition fueling to have caffeine added in at the same time come race day. I did this mainly through gels.

I wish I were training for an IM this year. I should have registered at Florida for next year. Instead decided to wait for AZ and was shut out of online registration within the first 40 seconds that it opened. Oh well. guess I'll have to make do with a HIM year instead.
2013-03-03 7:54 PM

User image

New user
Jim, it is good to see you back on the forum.

I had a great training day. I swam 650 today! It was at my lesson so I didn't even know what I had done until my instructor told me.
I was supposed to do 13 miles on the stationary bike after that and I felt so good I did 15! Really great day and now relaxing the rest of it.
2013-03-03 11:53 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

12km (7.5 miles) on the treadmill today... tough but survivable Smile

The missus has been convincing me to do a HM with her in late May... this is going to be one hell of a busy summer!

Scott

2013-03-04 2:04 AM

User image

Master
From the MTB race that was on part of the Xterra Guam course. I look like I'm either relieved to make it down a hill, or ready to puke when I'm in the hills.

2013-03-04 5:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-that is a GREAT picture. Very cool....looks like so much fun.

Monday already? Hope everyone gets the week off to a good start.

2013-03-04 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Jim, glad to see you back. Under the terrible circumstances, I hope all else is well.

Blanda, that's a great picture! Looks like that sort of race is a lot of fun to participate in!

Nice tips on nutrition, everyone. I've been wondering the same thing recently (mostly cause I talk to Jamie a lot during our long runs) I've heard great things about Coke. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted using whole foods instead of the more processed stuff like Gu.

-Nate

2013-03-04 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
I have quite a few pages to catch up on but I'm back and ready to get serious about my HM training. Hope everyone is well!!
2013-03-04 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

On the topic of nutrition, what do you do, if anything, for a sprint.  I have only one one and I only took on some liquids in transition.  I didn't carry anything on the bike or take anything on during the run.  It seemed to be ok but a sample of one is not much info.

Also, what are your favorite race day liquids?  I want to try a few on the next few Sundays since that is generally my longest workout of the week, a long ride with my LBS group.

2013-03-04 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Randy-thanks for the tips on race day nutrition. I'm going to start trying out Perform and see what I think, since they'll have that at the race. I'd really like to live on the race nutrition, since that will be a lot easier to plan on, but I'll see how I stomach it during training.

Rene-I'm doing IM Raleigh (June, hot) and Ironman Louisville (August, HOT). I'd love some details on your nutrition plan, if you get the time. Luckily, I've eased myself off of caffeine, but I have been using the PowerGels with one hit of caffeine in them.

Stuart-I don't take anything during a Sprint. Based on average times, I'd say you don't need anything. I'd say it's also hard to digest anything during a Sprint bc your heart rate will probably be high the entire time. Again, that's just assuming you have an average time, if you're going to take longer, you might re-think my advice. 

For liquids, I'd think water would be best. Again, you're looking at around a ninety minute workout in a Sprint, on average, so I'd think you don't need electrolytes or Gu, or anything other than hydration. Your mile may vary, but that's what I'd say. 

2013-03-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4645288

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-for a sprint I will carry one bottle with a fairly light mix of a sports drink. That allows me to get in something to drink on the bike. Frankly, for most sprints we could probably get by with just water but I like to take in a few calories on the bike as I usually don't do anything but water on the run in a sprint. If its a longer sprint...say 20 mile bike and 4 mile run I will sometimes do a gel during the run for an extra boost.  I would suspect more people overdo it in terms of hydration/nutrition in a sprint than get less than what they need.

Brands of drink..I've used Accelerade for years. I rarely used it at the recommended strength. I like the taste but feel it can be a bit strong when mixed as directed. Recently I have been using Fluid brand products both during and after workouts. They have a milder taste and are basically clear in color. They are not carried in as many places but can be ordered directly from Fluid. www.livefluid.com or I think Swim Outlet also carries Fluid brand. I really like the raspberry lemonade flavor in the performance drink that is to be used during exercise. You can order a pack with 8 single servings of the different flavors to get a feel for what you like.  Definitely, try out what you are going to use on race day and make sure it agrees with you.

Short swim at lunch is the only thing scheduled for today. Going to the chiropractor tonight for some ART to work on the knot in my calf.

2013-03-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4642797

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Well I've been MIA for longer than I like to be.  Short version: DH accidentally gave the dog (yes, the one with the torn acl) his meds instead of hers.  Naproxen can be fatal to dogs.  Luckily I figured it out about 45 minutes after it happened and she spent the weekend at the e vet getting fluids and anti ulcer meds.  She's home today and has a follow up appt at our vet for bloodwork.  If her numbers are good then she's in the clear.  **fingers crossed**  Anyway, that and a trip to NYC to take my cousin (bride to be) out to dinner really wreaked havoc on my schedule.  But I'm back in the swing of things with a decent spin this am.

SO what did I miss?

Randy: congrats on your daughter's scholarship - that's fantastic.

Jamie: nice job on the 5K!  Nate you rocked it too!

Scott: Spring is near!  Nice to get outside

Stuart:Good idea on the quick run right after a ride.  

Mary: 9 miles is fantastic!  Keep it up

Blanda: congrats on the good race!  I can't wait to MTB again soon and chase you down the rock gardens

Jim: glad to see you back.  I hope you are all doing ok

I don't want to be away this long again - missed far too much!!

Oh and for nutrition, I swear by HAMMER Nutrition!!  Perpetuem has been awesome for me on long rides and the hammer gels are the only ones my husband can stomach (FYI if anyone has sensitive stomach issues)

2013-03-04 3:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nutrition.

For a Sprint or an Olympic I will have one bottle of dilute electrolyte mix on the bike. It gives me calories, fluids and electrolytes. I can't go a whole Olympic without fluids and I figure I might as well have some flavor and electrolytes (I could probably get through a true sprint with nothing but I like to wet my whistle). At this distance the fluids and calories are just kind of there but not necessary.

Once I move to HIM, my goal is to get in 350-400 calories/hour on the bike, HIM or IM, it doesn't change much for me at either distance.

In my first year at the longer distance I used a combination of Infinit and gels to try to achieve the magic 350-400. It worked. I would take a gel about avery 45 minutes (actually I used a gel flask that held four gels so I would suck down a couple sips from it every 10-15 minutes with the goal being to be most of the way done with it by the end of a HIM or to get through two of them by the end of an IM). I also had normal strength Infinit in two bottles on the bike that I would drink to make up the calorie difference. I did have a little bit of GI upset with this plan and I am not sure that it was right for me.

Second year of IM I decided to simplify and go to all liquids, no gels, and I was very happy. This will be my plan going forward. I mixed 20 ounce bottles of electrolyte and carbohydrate containing fluids (I am running a very strange mixture of CarboPro and Infinit, which has been working great--but I played around with it a lot in training), 400 calories to the bottle. I had two of these on my bike and two in special needs. My goal is to drink approximately one bottle per hour on the bike. As soon as I finish a bottle I toss it and grab water at an aid station. From then on, I alternate drinking water and mix, still with the goal being to get down (approximately) one, 20 ounce, 400 calorie, bottle per hour. I did carry some gels with me on the bike but did not use them and will not be carrying them with me in the future. At special needs I got my two new bottles and used them for the second half of the bike. This worked great. This way I had what I had trained with and knew exactly what I was getting. It gave me 1600 calories on the bike with caffeine, electrolytes and fluids. I probably drank 3-4 bottles of water over the course of the bike as well.

Run:

First IM I carried a gel flask in the back pocket of my jersey on the run with a second one in run special needs. What I found was that every time I took in some gel while running I immediately felt nauseated. This was very different than how I have felt in open marathons where I take a gel religiously every 45 minutes as my fuel source and have had no problems. It must have something to do with being 6-7 hours or more into a race and how the gut responds. Obviously I stopped with the gel on the run. I went with coke and water for basically the whole IM run and felt fine. My second IM run I carried absolutely nothing with me. I grabbed coke and water at every aid station and just took in as much as I could while running. This probably came out to about 15 small dixie cups of coke and 20-30 dixie cups of water. I didn't even turn in a run special needs bag for my second IM run because I didn't use it in the first one and it galled me to leave behind a nice pair of socks, four gels in a flask, some band-aids, etc. It didn't bother me one bit and I somehow felt hardcore that, "I didn't even need a run SN bag."

That was my plan. I don't use salt sticks or Nuun, or any of a dozen things that people use. I use glucose/electrolyte/fluids and coke on the run. I played around with it a lot in training to get it right. My first IM I had about a 5 minute delay on the run for some 'GI upset.' Second IM, no issues at all. Have I got it perfected? No. But I am doing OK. I will see if the plan works on IM number three this summer.

Happy to answer any and all questions about IM nutrition to the best of my ability....
2013-03-04 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Thanks for the input.  I will try a few of your suggestions to see how it works for me.  That said, for the sprint I will do like I did last time and just take a quick hit of hydration in transition.  I will keep the pound plus off the bike.

Did my third straight day of 25 mile ride and then a run immediately following.  I did a minor course change that moved the distance up from 0.97 to 1.12 miles.  My ride was OK but the run came in at 10:08 or 9:03/mile.  I am happy with that.  Tomorrow I will do a short ride and the 3 miles running. 

One thing I am finding is I really could use an active rest day more often than I am taking them.  Not sure which will yield better results: push hard now without the rest (7 weeks to my first event) and use the last two weeks to taper down or take them now.  Which will yield better quality workouts and end result?

2013-03-04 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason-It sounds like your nutrition plan is just like what Macca says he went through, in his book. He went through one Kona race on a nutritional plan drawn up by sports scientists, and he ended up throwing up the whole time. Then he switched to water and coke, and it made a world of difference. Thanks for the input!
2013-03-04 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4646303

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Stuartap - 2013-03-04 6:46 PM

One thing I am finding is I really could use an active rest day more often than I am taking them.  Not sure which will yield better results: push hard now without the rest (7 weeks to my first event) and use the last two weeks to taper down or take them now.  Which will yield better quality workouts and end result?

What is your weekly plan like now, as in how many rest days? And what makes you think you need more? I'm not saying you don't, just trying to get an idea of what your average week looks like now.

2013-03-04 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Generation UCAN Lemonade flavor! Sprint Races = No nutrition during the race. Olympic Races 2 scoops of UCAN ... I still have to play around with how much I will transport during the HIM in October. 
2013-03-04 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4646366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
WoodrowCall - 2013-03-04 4:41 PM
Stuartap - 2013-03-04 6:46 PM

What is your weekly plan like now, as in how many rest days? And what makes you think you need more? I'm not saying you don't, just trying to get an idea of what your average week looks like now.

I am using a modified Oly plan since my early races are all sprints.  My Oly is not until Nov.  The plan calls for one rest day a week.  For quite a while I was not taking any.  Now my effort level and fitness are both improved so do feel tired on days like today.

Back in the day this was quite normal but I am a few days (aka decades) older now.  When I train hard for several days in a row my times across the same course decline.  I am OK with it because it is certainly something I can live with.  When I was swimming it was accepted that you swam fatigued, especially early in the season for the payoff later at the championships.

This is a new sport for me.  Do I keep pushing and get the rest as my event approaches like I did knowing that the long term benefit is there?  Or, do I take that one rest day a week and perform better the other six days?  Example, I rode each of the last few days on a reasonably hilly course, 25 miles.  Sat was at 18.25 mph, Sun & Mon were 17.25 mph.  My run at the end of each was about a mile but faster each day.  Just not sure what to make of it.

I hope that makes sense to you.  Appreciate the insight.

2013-03-04 7:48 PM

User image

New user
Hello in tri world. I was reviewing my training for the next couple of weeks and this week has me decreasing distance with an increase back up next week.
I may just be being stubborn but I don't want to decrease this week.
It may be no big thing either way at my level but I wanted to see what you guys do.
Anyone have thoughts on the benefit of a week's reduction, do you do so, do you recommend it?

2013-03-04 7:56 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-rest and/or recovery is very important in the overall process of improving fitness. We stress the body then allow it time to adapt and recover so it is better prepared to deal with more stress next time. I'm probably butchering this but I read something that made alot of sense...something along the line of: we don't make gains while we are training we make gains while recovering from the training.  I would incorporate frequent rest or active recovery days in your plan. Pushing straight through for 6-7 weeks and then tapering just before the race will not yield the same benefits as incorporating periodic rest. Plus, you will likely get burned out on the training and have plateaued at some point in your training We all get preoccupied with getting in our miles, yards or hours and sometime srest gets pushed aside.  Give yourself a rest day regularly. If you feel like you "must" be doing something then maybe an easy swim, yoga or light stretching.

One other thing to be careful about is trying to PR every one of your runs. Don't get preoccupied with how long it takes to complete the run. Remember keep easy days easy

Mary-most plans have some sort of periodization where there is an easy week after 2 or 3 weeks of gradually building volume. Allows the body to rest and adapt as discussed above. The plan is "big picture" so be careful not to overdo it during an easy week as it may keep you from being able to hit the workouts down the road. 

Had a killer ART session on my calf this afternoon. No run scheduled until Wednesday so still have a couple of days to work on it. Probably will head back in for another session late in the week.    

Edited by slornow 2013-03-04 8:03 PM
2013-03-04 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4646399

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

I would ABSOLUTELY take one day off per week, if you feel like you need it. Even if you're not going 110%, that rest day is needed to get stronger. You're tearing down muscle throughout your workouts, and, especially with running, your joints need time to absorb the workouts, since your aerobic fitness will adapt much quicker than your tendons and ligaments. Especially since your race is so far off, I'd take a marathon approach, not a sprint. You're in this for the long haul, so take the time your body needs, and it'll pay off later in the year. 

That's my two cents, hope it helps!

2013-03-04 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4646424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
slornow - 2013-03-04 8:56 PM

One other thing to be careful about is trying to PR every one of your runs. Don't get preoccupied with how long it takes to complete the run. Remember keep easy days easy  

Rich Roll was just saying this the other day on his podcast: Most people go too hard on their easy days and too soft on their hard days. It can be tempting to always get better each run, but that's just a race injury in the short-run, no pun intended! Laughing

2013-03-04 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4646428

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I agree with Jamie and Randy 100%! Definitely take at least 1 day off per week to allow your muscles to recover. This rest day is actually a day so much is happening in your body to get the most of what you have been doing during your training days. Muscle is repairing and endurance is increasing on these days in order to put up with the increasing demands you are putting on yourself.Same goes for the week of decreased workload. I've heard people mention how it takes mental fortitude to slow down when you are supposed to. I'm not going to look for the source on this quote, but I remember reading something about how Chrissie Wellington's coach said something along the lines of "My job isn't to push Chrissie to go harder, but to hold her back."
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66