General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-02-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3338822

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
JoshKaptur - 2011-02-04 9:43 AM
TriRSquared - 2011-02-03 4:24 PM Was looking for what liquids they have on the course

They say Gatorade... true?

...and came across this...

http://www.ironmancda.com/coursedetail.html

So what is the Kids Pen Dropoff and Pickup?

I would be shocked if the on-course drink is not power-bar perform + water on the bike, and power-bar perform +  water + coke on the run.

I emailed them to confirm.

2011-02-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3338854

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
PGoldberger - 2011-02-04 7:53 AM

The kids pen dropoff was about three years ago when you could run with a family member across the finish line.  Someone must have forgot to clean up the Internet again.

I think that you will get DQ'ed if you run across with your kids now.  My plan is to have my kids run across with anyone who is ahead of me and looks like they are M40-44.
2011-02-04 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Expert
WA
2011-02-04 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
SE
I never got to chime in on Josh's training philospohy. I totally agree with him that once you are relatively comfortable with longer distance swims in a wetsuit to focus more heavily on the bike and run which consume most of your day. i am not saying to ignore the swim but to invest more energy in the disciplines that you will be doing the most of on the day.

Rocketman, who is doing IMCDA too and is a well respected coach, and I had a related debate on the Ga forum which contributed to him writing his philosophy on his blog at http://brettdanielstriathlete.com/ I hope he won't mind me sending you all there or quoting him. Check out the 8/12/10 entry if you want a dissenting opinion to Josh and I. I am cutting and pasting a bit of it here so y'all don't have to go find it.

"Swim-
I have heard people say more times than I care to count that the swim is “just a warm-up” and “doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of the day”. Both of these statements are wrong and quite frankly the cause of some poor IM performances. The swim proportionally is the shortest leg of the race in both distance and time and yet it is equally as important to an athletes overall performance. This applies mostly to the non-swimmers (and by non-swimmer I mean someone who doesn’t come from a swim background) more so than the swimmers.

For a non-swimmer the swim is often the biggest limiter to performance at any triathlon distance not just Ironman. I firmly believe that if you did not learn proper technique as a child/youth swimmer then it is next to impossible to ever truly be as efficient as an athlete from a swim background. The speed may be the same, but if you compare a swimmer vs a non-swimmer who swim the exact same time on an Ironman the swimmer will almost always have a lower average Heart Rate and thus a lower energy expenditure over the distance. It is a widely accepted fact that a well-trained athlete will store 1.5-2 hours of glycogen in their muscles to use for fuel. If you are an inefficient swimmer and spend ~1:30 in the water it is conceivable that you have burned through a large majority of your stored energy before the race has really even started.

It is because of this that I firmly believe that a big swim base and learning where your “sweet spot” is during the swim is key to having a good Ironman race. It is true that you can’t win a race from the swim, but if you burn yourself up in the water you can certainly lose one. Proper pacing and good stoke mechanics are the key to a fast yet efficient swim."

My first IM was low 11 and my second was mid 10 hours on admittedly faster courses (IMAZ and IMFL). I learned to swim in 2008 and suck at swimming but I can go forever at a z2 swim pace (IMAZ 1:24, IMFL 1:18). I swam much less in training in 2010 than in 2009 and lowered my swim time 6 mins. and my IM time by close to 3/4 of an hour.

I want to take a similar approach this year and get enough swim fitness to be MOP but leave myself loads of energy to ride and run solid, pushing the last few run miles as best as possible. I think I can do this on 2 swims per week at minimum and 7-8k yards until we get closer to the big day. If time permits, I will swim 3x but i believe my best ROI is with spending a majority of my training time on bike and run, and I am doing more daily running than ever (as Josh recommended - OR see BarryP or Fleck on slowtwitch.com for further information.) I don't want to hijack the thread but I did want to chime in because Josh and I take some hits on this matter. Nonetheless, we seem to be doing well-ish (him much better than me) at the longer distance without a serious or parallel investment in swimming.

Edited by phatknot 2011-02-04 1:23 PM
2011-02-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3339479

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
phatknot - 2011-02-04 2:20 PM

I never got to chime in on Josh's training philospohy. I totally agree with him that once you are relatively comfortable with longer distance swims in a wetsuit to focus more heavily on the bike and run which consume most of your day. i am not saying to ignore the swim but to invest more energy in the disciplines that you will be doing the most of on the day.

Rocketman, who is doing IMCDA too and is a well respected coach, and I had a related debate on the Ga forum which contributed to him writing his philosophy on his blog at http://brettdanielstriathlete.com/ I hope he won't mind me sending you all there or quoting him. Check out the 8/12/10 entry if you want a dissenting opinion to Josh and I. I am cutting and pasting a bit of it here so y'all don't have to go find it.

"Swim-
I have heard people say more times than I care to count that the swim is “just a warm-up” and “doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of the day”. Both of these statements are wrong and quite frankly the cause of some poor IM performances. The swim proportionally is the shortest leg of the race in both distance and time and yet it is equally as important to an athletes overall performance. This applies mostly to the non-swimmers (and by non-swimmer I mean someone who doesn’t come from a swim background) more so than the swimmers.

For a non-swimmer the swim is often the biggest limiter to performance at any triathlon distance not just Ironman. I firmly believe that if you did not learn proper technique as a child/youth swimmer then it is next to impossible to ever truly be as efficient as an athlete from a swim background. The speed may be the same, but if you compare a swimmer vs a non-swimmer who swim the exact same time on an Ironman the swimmer will almost always have a lower average Heart Rate and thus a lower energy expenditure over the distance. It is a widely accepted fact that a well-trained athlete will store 1.5-2 hours of glycogen in their muscles to use for fuel. If you are an inefficient swimmer and spend ~1:30 in the water it is conceivable that you have burned through a large majority of your stored energy before the race has really even started.

It is because of this that I firmly believe that a big swim base and learning where your “sweet spot” is during the swim is key to having a good Ironman race. It is true that you can’t win a race from the swim, but if you burn yourself up in the water you can certainly lose one. Proper pacing and good stoke mechanics are the key to a fast yet efficient swim."

My first IM was low 11 and my second was mid 10 hours on admittedly faster courses (IMAZ and IMFL). I learned to swim in 2008 and suck at swimming but I can go forever at a z2 swim pace (IMAZ 1:24, IMFL 1:18). I swam much less in training in 2010 than in 2009 and lowered my swim time 6 mins. and my IM time by close to 3/4 of an hour.

I want to take a similar approach this year and get enough swim fitness to be MOP but leave myself loads of energy to ride and run solid, pushing the last few run miles as best as possible. I think I can do this on 2 swims per week at minimum and 7-8k yards until we get closer to the big day. If time permits, I will swim 3x but i believe my best ROI is with spending a majority of my training time on bike and run, and I am doing more daily running than ever (as Josh recommended - OR see BarryP or Fleck on slowtwitch.com for further information.) I don't want to hijack the thread but I did want to chime in because Josh and I take some hits on this matter. Nonetheless, we seem to be doing well-ish (him much better than me) at the longer distance without a serious or parallel investment in swimming.

Good info, and on a lot of it I agree. Right now, my swim training is about 12-14k meters a week, 4 masters swimming classes. I will chime in by saying that, though your swim performance is not as important as your bike/run performance, increased swimming (such as masters classes) has shown a significant increase in my overall endurance. Sure, it may not be the most efficient usage of your time (in terms of distances of the race, etc) but I will continue to swim at this level until I feel comfortable in my swim: enough to where I can go under 1:05 and be smiling once I get out of the water
2011-02-04 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3339479

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
phatknot - 2011-02-04 2:20 PM I never got to chime in on Josh's training philospohy. I totally agree with him that once you are relatively comfortable with longer distance swims in a wetsuit to focus more heavily on the bike and run which consume most of your day. i am not saying to ignore the swim but to invest more energy in the disciplines that you will be doing the most of on the day.

"Swim-

Thanks for that perspective Slayer.  As I said, I've been widely criticized and what I've written should not be taken as gospel... but I also have had some modest results under my theory and reached the finish line WELL before a lot of people who swam much more than I did and criticized my approach and said things like "you're training for an ironman, not a marathon... get in the pool" (they thought I was running too much and not swimming enough)... and I do not come from a swimming background.

The swim proportionally is the shortest leg of the race in both distance and time and yet it is equally as important to an athletes overall performance... For a non-swimmer the swim is often the biggest limiter to performance at any triathlon distance not just Ironman

I REAAAALLLY disagree with you buddy's statement here, and think he's using hyperbole to make a point but has no evidence to support the bolded claims.  Lots of middle of the pack swimmers end up walking a large portion of their IM marathon.  And I strongly believe it has more to do with their run and bike training (and over-biking it on race day) than any deficit they create for themselves on the swim.  I think an 7 vs. 5 hour marathon is going to hurt your "overall performance" much more than a 90 vs. 60 minute swim.

Further... very few people go sub 60 on the IM swim... I don't think there's that big of a difference in terms of energy store depletion compared to the people who go 1:30 that he cites.  And most of us start the race with some undigested food in our stomachs (though some people struggle with being horizontal in the water), which means we continue to replace energy stores during the swim while we burn them.  In theory there is nothing preventing you from having a gel tucked under the wrist of your wetsuit to consume when you exit the water between laps 1 and 2.

Ultimately I agree with him and you... that we need to find the sweet spot for our swim training.  It's just that the sweet spot will vary based on your background and the type of race you are doing.  And while I certainly think we would all benefit from swimming more... I also think we would benefit from running more and biking more.  If you have time to put in some serious pool time and shave a few minutes off your time, GO FOR IT.  I just recommend you don't do it until your run and bike training are already maxed.  Most of us don't have a schedule that allows that.

To the OP that started this question with his BT intermediate plan question... I was not so concerned with the high volume of swim training, but the lack of run training.  I only suggested cutting the swim training if that was the only way to increase the run volume.  Ideally, he would keep the swims and ADD more runs.  But that requires two-a-days and not everyone can do that.

2011-02-04 2:06 PM

Master
, California
I'll add that I DO have a swim background, and I'd be perfectly fine cruising at Z1-Z2 for a 1:30.  I've easily gained more than 30 minutes on my marathon time over the past year, not to mention bike improvement.  I am not worried about swimming at all until I start getting my run time down into the low 3 hour range like Josh.  Still have a lot of work to do there.

I found myself going harder during the last quarter of the swim last year.  Not because I was worried about my time but because I was starting to get really cold.  Not shivering with hypothermia but I was getting below my comfort level.  But I wasn't using a neoprene cap, so I'll probably just add one this year.
2011-02-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3339552

User image

Elite
SE
I hate how some folks can be jerks like that. I can totally live with what you wrote above ^^^. Of course it would be great to be a pro or a wealthy amateur and train loads and max out all 3 sports performance. What we are talking about is ROI. Us age groupers have to make the most of the time we have available. Of that I am sure everyone agrees. Just how to do that is the matter of debate especially as it pertains to the IM distance. I happen to think the best ROtrainingI for most of us that can swim the distances comfortably is on the bike and run.

As you said earlier, Josh, it would be hard to imagine me getting that much time back from swimming what Daniel (15step) swims on a weekly basis. So I am going to devote my time to the bike and run and try to hunt his and every good swimmer's butte down after they kill me on the swim haha

I'm not sure Rocketman considers me a buddy but I have no problems with anyone who disagrees with me provided they have a good knowledge base and rational argument and do it in a respectful manner.
2011-02-04 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I also want to point out that I swim 4-5 hrs a week, which really is not that much time. However, I dont really want to cut back any more because I love to swim. I might cut back to 3 sessions a week and replace one with a long run once training really gets going, but that is up for my coach to decide. Trust me, once the weather gets a little nicer (hopefully by the end of this month) I will be outside on the bike a lot more. Ive got to (or at least attempt to) chase down phatknot somehow!
2011-02-04 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
A little personal case study: analysis from looking at the results of my age group (30-34M) at IMLP 2010.

124 people swam faster than me.
18 people ran faster than me.
24 people biked faster than me.

23 people finished the race before me.

If the swim made such an impact as claimed by some, my overall finish place should be much closer to my swim overall place than it is to my bike/run overall place.  But it isn't.

Of the 23 people that finished the race before me:
- 23 of them did swim faster than me, but...
- only 1 had both a slower bike and run (he legitimately did beat me overall only because of his swim... and transitions).
- 9 had swim times that accounted for the biggest proportion of their finish time in front of me.
- 9 both biked and ran faster than me (meaning they were just fitter overall in all 3 disciplines).

As I look at it, 9 people in my AG beat me because they could swim faster than me (though all but one also had some help from their run or bike split as well).  On the other hand, I finished in front of 101 people who swam faster than me.

From January to July 2010 (race was July 26), here were my training numbers (note this only tells you volume, not intensity... but in general I run easy and bike/swim hard)...
Swim: 99,000 yards (avg 14,000 yards per month)
Bike: 3240 miles (avg 462 miles per month)
Run: 1045 miles (avg 150 miles per month)

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.  You can see where my training was focused and what happened on race day.

Sorry to talk about myself so much... but I'd feel more weird if I used another athlete.  I think you can learn a lot from this kind of analysis of race results.

2011-02-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3339318

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-02-04 12:47 PM

The kids pen dropoff was about three years ago when you could run with a family member across the finish line.  Someone must have forgot to clean up the Internet again.

I think that you will get DQ'ed if you run across with your kids now.  My plan is to have my kids run across with anyone who is ahead of me and looks like they are M40-44.

LOL.  I like that tactic.

2011-02-04 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3339649

User image

Elite
SE
Dang I need to up my monthly run mileage even more haha. Nice work and solid evidence, Josh!
2011-02-04 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3339657

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
TriRSquared - 2011-02-04 2:09 PM
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-02-04 12:47 PM

LOL.  I like that tactic.

I've been wondering about this so called BS rule they threaten with but don't actually enforce.  When you see pro’s cross with no DQ, how could they DQ an age grouper? 

2011-02-04 9:04 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Ok since my name is getting dragged throught the mud on this whole swim thing I figured that I might pop in and defend myself.

First off, Phatknot I do consider you a buddy! We have had our share of disagreements but they have always been civil and I think that we have both ended up learning something from them.

In regards to the swim....where you bolded my statements and accused me of using hyperbole you are incorrect. We have data from a large sample of our athletes using groups labled "swimmers" (those who come from a swim background of some sort) and "non swimmers (those who had no formal swim training prior to triathlon). What we did during our experiement was to have our swimmers and non swimmers swim in our current pool at a constant flow rate for a given time. Once completed the subjects exited the pool and conducted an FTP test on the trainer. When we compared the data gathered our non swimmers had higher HR (i.e. more energy expended) at the same flow rate than our swimmers. Our non swimmers also saw a bigger degradation of power during their FTP tests as a result of the extra energy expedature. Like I said in my post a poorly trained athlete could conceivably burn through most or all of their muscle glycogen during the swim (90+ minutes).  Now do not misinterpret what I am saying here, the bike proportionally is the largest part of the race and should get the lions share of training time, likewise it does no good to have a great bike split if you are so spent you can't run off the bike. This is where proper pacing and nutrition come into play as well as having a strong run base.  No where in my post did I say to swim more at the detriment of your bike and run training. What I did say and I will stand by is that by swimming 3-4 times a week as opposed to 2x you greatly increase your efficiency and will lower your overall "energy bill" for the swim portion.

Now in order to clarify.....are we talking about finishing CdA or are we talking about racing ? They are two totally different things and require two totally different levels of training and commitment. You can finish an IM on 12 hours a week of training.....long swim, long bike, long run it's not really rocket science.

Josh let me give you a piece of advice that I was given when I first started out coaching (and this isn't a shot or an attack on you, I think you have given some very sound advice in this thread), "Don't train/coach people the way you would coach yourself". Everyone is different and each athlete will adapt to training stimulus in a different way and at a different rate. Looking at your logs you are someone that adapts very quickly and can accept a large run training load. If I tried to 6x a week/150 miles a month I would be injured from the word go as would the majority of athletes on here. Athletes that are new to long course racing (and triathlon in general) are not ready to accept that kind of load on their joints and connective tissues. You can't rush endurance or physiological adaptations that take years in some cases.

2011-02-05 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
OK, you guys.  Enough with all the pedantry & disagreements.  Get out & train.
2011-02-05 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3340905

User image

Elite
SE
out? huh? i never go out and train anymore and I live in Ga haha

2011-02-06 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Week 10 is officially done!!!!  A nice 30 minute blast mountain bike ride followed by a 12 mile, 90 minute run.  Does anyone else do their shorter brick rides on a mountain bike or am I the only odd one?   

I just caught up with all of the swimming drama.  I swim as much or more than anyone on this board to date.  Just check my previous monthly volume posts.  I do it because I have the extra time and I find it as a nice balance to all of the leg work.  Plus, I find it very refreshing and almost like PT on the legs with cold water.  My legs feel much sharper when I leave the pool. 

From this week on I go from roughly 4x @ 60 minutes to 3x @ 80 minutes.  I also go back to one open air 50 meter pool workout per week.  More than enough for me to log a 1:15-1:30 swim with a mild/moderate effort, although I've never done more than a HIM distance in open water.

One of my friends training for IM Austria was in a horrible bike wreck this week.  Twelve riders went down.  She will be borderline to be ready for the race now with her injuries.  BE CAREFUL ON THE BIKE.  I ride and run alone because I like it that way, but if you ride in a group keep a safe distance.

Happy and healthy training.  I'm feelings stronggggggggggggggggggggggg.   Yell

Go Pack!!!

2011-02-06 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
It's almost kick off and I really don't care who wins the supper bowl.  I'm going to watch the game from my trainer.  My goal is 50 miles at least.

Lets ride.
2011-02-06 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3341927

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

tribean - 2011-02-06 3:11 PM

It's almost kick off and I really don't care who wins the supper bowl.  I'm going to watch the game from my trainer.  My goal is 50 miles at least.

Lets ride.

50 miles on the trainer.  Sounds brutal!  Do you fill your water bottles with beer and rest the chips and dip on your aero bars???

2011-02-06 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3341977

User image

Elite
SE
haha . i just did 63 non stop trainer miles and I was really whining. Then my wife reminded me I did a century last year on the trainer. i guess i need to HTFU. and it makes alot of sense to start locking in nutrition now so i am glad i did it.

before you go and criticize me for doing a trainer ride on a nicer day in ga, i had to do it this way due to family obligations.
2011-02-06 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
PGoldberger - 2011-02-06 3:58 PM

tribean - 2011-02-06 3:11 PM

Lets ride.

50 miles on the trainer.  Sounds brutal!  Do you fill your water bottles with beer and rest the chips and dip on your aero bars???

I love that mental image!

2011-02-06 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

Thanks man, I have always despised the trainer for any ride longer than 1.5 hours.  Your wisdom has given me a new reason to learn to love it, embrace it, and ride with excitement.  This may be the best post ever!
2011-02-07 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
trinitwit - 2011-02-05 6:56 PM OK, you guys.  Enough with all the pedantry & disagreements.  Get out & train.

Your comment offends me far more than anything said by Rocket Man -- if you think it's pedantry than I think you've seriously mis-judged the reason people take the time to share their opinions and experiences in this thread.  I'm about 90% convinced I'm not going to be able to race IMCdA this year... I still come here because I'm holding on to a sliver of hope I'm wrong about the personal reasons the race isn't the best idea for me right now, but mostly because I've have a ton of experience doing things the wrong/stupid way, and a little sliver of experience doing it right/smart... and the difference it makes is too valuable not to try to share.

Your posts of late (I reveiwed the last 10 pages... sorry, as a pedant, I'm preoccupied with accuracy) have included dismissive thoughts about people's anxiety about hills, admissions of showing your own hubris and then defensiveness when people were put off, and advising people that if you train correctly the race is an afterthought (ignoring the crucial importance of race execution).  To your credit (just be be fair), you did include a few encouragements as well.

Why not share your views or experience or current plan regarding where training focus should be and why?

Besides, I can't get out and train because I have anxiety about whether to swim or run.
2011-02-07 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
trinitwit - 2011-02-05 6:56 PM OK, you guys.  Enough with all the pedantry & disagreements.  Get out & train.

Gotta agree with Josh.  If you don't like the thread then stop reading it.  The rest of enjoy the conversation.  As pedantic as it my be.
2011-02-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3341989

User image

Veteran
Dallas
phatknot - 2011-02-06 6:06 PM haha . i just did 63 non stop trainer miles and I was really whining. Then my wife reminded me I did a century last year on the trainer. i guess i need to HTFU. and it makes alot of sense to start locking in nutrition now so i am glad i did it.

before you go and criticize me for doing a trainer ride on a nicer day in ga, i had to do it this way due to family obligations.

A century ride on a trainer?  Nonstop?  Wow.  I would commit suicide at mile 40. 
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171