BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-25 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD

Hockey talk in reply to Adrienne's question:

Let's go Caps!  Let's go Caps!

Their current AHL farm team, the Hershey Bears, is close to where I live, so we have partial-season (12 game because my hockey eats up too many weekends) season tickets to the Bears.  They play tonight, too, and like the Caps, if they lose tonight they are done.  So B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears WOOOOOOOO!!!

2012-04-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4172609

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2012-04-25 1:28 PM

Hockey talk in reply to Adrienne's question:

Let's go Caps!  Let's go Caps!

Their current AHL farm team, the Hershey Bears, is close to where I live, so we have partial-season (12 game because my hockey eats up too many weekends) season tickets to the Bears.  They play tonight, too, and like the Caps, if they lose tonight they are done.  So B-E-A-R-S Bears, Bears, Bears WOOOOOOOO!!!

Yesssss, love the hockey enthusiasm. I love that people get really into the AHL. We have two WHL teams here so it makes hockey much more accessible than having to drive up to Vancouver for a NHL game.

Althoooughhhh, there are talks of Seattle getting a team soon. They were looking at the Coyotes but we'll see. 

2012-04-25 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Okay, totally off topic, but tI swear there is something weird going on here---There have been so many women getting pregnant at work!!! Now, I have never and still don't want children, so it kinda freaks me out....I just have to say wtf???? do they all have a pact right now?

That being said..

NO, I like my Phoenix Coyotes in Phoenix! They are one of my favorite teams....and Seattle Coyotes just doesn't have the same ring to it....its bad enough that I lost my Atlanta Thrashers to stupid Winnepeg...

'kay rant over...time for class.

2012-04-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4171731

User image

England
melbo55 - 2012-04-25 3:14 PM

Yanti - mental well-being can do a lot toward getting the physical well-being healed.  Glad to hear you are finding some of that with the zombie death march (love that saying!) and a little biking.  Do your best to keep it easy, as you know.  Sending you health and healing with a {melon press}! Enough is enough, germs, leave her alone!

Allen - I like how you took KansasMom's cream cheese bagel idea and thought to add smoked salmon - that sounds so yummy!  Maybe even add a little watercress...mmmmm....

I likey.

2012-04-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4172708

User image

Seattle
kgore - 2012-04-25 2:00 PM

Okay, totally off topic, but tI swear there is something weird going on here---There have been so many women getting pregnant at work!!! Now, I have never and still don't want children, so it kinda freaks me out....I just have to say wtf???? do they all have a pact right now?

That being said..

NO, I like my Phoenix Coyotes in Phoenix! They are one of my favorite teams....and Seattle Coyotes just doesn't have the same ring to it....its bad enough that I lost my Atlanta Thrashers to stupid Winnepeg...

'kay rant over...time for class.

Oooooh here too. I'm thinking post recession boom? No? 

2012-04-25 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4172433

User image

England
cdban66 - 2012-04-25 6:44 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 1:22 PM
melbo55 - 2012-04-25 9:26 AM
bcraht - 2012-04-25 12:37 AM

Had a good run this morning, felt really good and strong (1.25 poptart effort).  Bike this evening had to be on the trainer as it was pouring rain, but that's ok.  I watched the hockey game while riding--decided to do some intervals to make things a little more interesting, so I increased my cadence to 100+ during breaks in play and commercial breaks.  There was a couple "drop the puck already" shouted at the TV Wink (1.5 beer effort).  Then I rewarded myself with one of my favorite dinners ever--rice, broccoli, chicken and a sauce made of nutritional yeast.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Hope everyone else had a good day!

Ha ha ha, this sounds soooo familiar!!  Watching hockey while on the trainer has its pros and cons for sure.  I tend to get caught up in an exciting play or fight and my cadence slows...oops, let's start pedaling properly again!  I have also done the stoppage/commercial intervals you mentioned and have also yelled at the TV, although lately I've been using TrainerRoad which means I mess up my power/cadence I am supposed to be focusing on when I get caught up in the game.  Oh well.  There's nothing quite like playoff hockey!

Love all the hockey fan-age in here!!! Who is everyone going for now that the Canucks are out?

I think you should have to do intervals every time you have to explain to someone what icing is. Smile 

That would be a lot of intervals!

What is icing? (and who has to do the intervals now)

2012-04-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4172768

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 3:13 AM

Had a good run this morning, felt really good and strong (1.25 poptart effort).  Bike this evening had to be on the trainer as it was pouring rain, but that's ok.  I watched the hockey game while riding--decided to do some intervals to make things a little more interesting, so I increased my cadence to 100+ during breaks in play and commercial breaks.  There was a couple "drop the puck already" shouted at the TV Wink (1.5 beer effort).  Then I rewarded myself with one of my favorite dinners ever--rice, broccoli, chicken and a sauce made of nutritional yeast.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Hope everyone else had a good day!

Ha ha ha, this sounds soooo familiar!!  Watching hockey while on the trainer has its pros and cons for sure.  I tend to get caught up in an exciting play or fight and my cadence slows...oops, let's start pedaling properly again!  I have also done the stoppage/commercial intervals you mentioned and have also yelled at the TV, although lately I've been using TrainerRoad which means I mess up my power/cadence I am supposed to be focusing on when I get caught up in the game.  Oh well.  There's nothing quite like playoff hockey!

Love all the hockey fan-age in here!!! Who is everyone going for now that the Canucks are out?

I think you should have to do intervals every time you have to explain to someone what icing is. Smile 

Uhhhhh ... I'm an island girl. I have nooooo idea what icing is. Nope, not me Sealed

2012-04-25 2:21 PM

User image

England

No training today. late from work and it's pouring with rain. Roads part flooded etc. No bike or swimFrown. Hope the day is better where you are..

Happy feet 2 about to start so i am signing off for the evening and will catch up in the morning whilst you are all tucked up in bed.

2012-04-25 2:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
2012-04-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4172797

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-04-25 8:20 PM
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 3:13 AM

Uhhhhh ... I'm an island girl. I have nooooo idea what icing is. Nope, not me Sealed

Does that mean that someone now has to do two lots of intervals? Bagsy not me.

2012-04-25 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4172802

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 3:21 AM

No training today. late from work and it's pouring with rain. Roads part flooded etc. No bike or swimFrown. Hope the day is better where you are..

Happy feet 2 about to start so i am signing off for the evening and will catch up in the morning whilst you are all tucked up in bed.

That's Jo (the go one) the favourite movie of!

2012-04-25 2:28 PM

User image

Seattle

Siiiighhhhh, Allen get on your trainer and start pedaling your azz off. Yanti, you are spared since you are sick and this would kill you. 

Annnnnnnnnnd go! (Wikipedia is helping me here because I'm not the best at explaining things)

Icing is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey. It occurs when a player shoots the puck across at least two red lines, the opposing team's goal line being the last, and the puck remains untouched.

Still pedaling? Good! Now: 

It is, however, not icing if the puck is shot from behind the halfway line into the goal, or when the shot must be played by the opposing team's goaltender to keep it out of the net. In the former case with a shot puck crossing the goal line completely, the goal is counted.[1][2] 

Got all of that? Now as consequence: 

When icing occurs, a linesman stops play. Play is resumed with a faceoff in the defending zone of the team that committed the infraction.

Now pedal until you can wrap your head around this concept. Also, no icing during a penalty. Also, if the offense beats the defense to the puck, play is not disrupted. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-04-25 2:28 PM
2012-04-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4172844

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:28 PM

Siiiighhhhh, Allen get on your trainer and start pedaling your azz off. Yanti, you are spared since you are sick and this would kill you. 

Annnnnnnnnnd go! (Wikipedia is helping me here because I'm not the best at explaining things)

Icing is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey. It occurs when a player shoots the puck across at least two red lines, the opposing team's goal line being the last, and the puck remains untouched.

It is, however, not icing if the puck is shot from behind the halfway line into the goal, or when the shot must be played by the opposing team's goaltender to keep it out of the net. In the former case with a shot puck crossing the goal line completely, the goal is counted.[1][2] 

When icing occurs, a linesman stops play. Play is resumed with a faceoff in the defending zone of the team that committed the infraction.

Now pedal until you can wrap your head around this concept. Also, no icing during a penalty. Also, if the offense beats the defense to the puck, play is not disrupted. 

Now for touch icing versus no touch icing. 

It sounds like NHL is considering going to no touch icing.  Thoughts?

2012-04-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4172855

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-04-25 2:31 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:28 PM

I don't like it one bit. As a defender it is your responsibility to get your azz back there! 

2012-04-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4172860

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:33 PM

I don't like it one bit. As a defender it is your responsibility to get your azz back there! 

Agreed.

The talking heads have been saying blah blah blah Injuries blah blah

2012-04-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4172863

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-04-25 2:35 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 3:33 PM

Agreed.

The talking heads have been saying blah blah blah Injuries blah blah

Yeah, and I understand that to an extent but man, it sure would make the defenders laaaazy.

2012-04-25 2:41 PM

User image

Seattle
Sorry for all the hockey talk guys!!
2012-04-25 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 12:28 PM

And, to prevent the defensive team from icing the puck when they are stuck in their own end for a long period and are tired and want to get off, a new rule was introduced.  If your team ices the puck, you cannot change your line.  Meaning the tired players still have to stay on the ice.

The easiest description of icing is when a team send the puck from their own side of center ice, down to the other end of the ice.

End interval.

2012-04-25 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4172897

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-04-25 2:42 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 12:28 PM

And, to prevent the defensive team from icing the puck when they are stuck in their own end for a long period and are tired and want to get off, a new rule was introduced.  If your team ices the puck, you cannot change your line.  Meaning the tired players still have to stay on the ice.

The easiest description of icing is when a team send the puck from their own side of center ice, down to the other end of the ice.

End interval.

Acccccctually, I didn't know they introduced this! Bravo!

Good rule though. I like that. 

Now I guess I have to do intervals while I contemplate this. 

2012-04-25 2:51 PM

User image

England
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 8:28 PM

But i said 'Bagsy not me'!

2012-04-25 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Icing - found on the top of cupcakes or cake. YUMMY!

/Rant On

No touch icing is the hockey equivalent of the designated hitter in baseball. The game has been around for how long? And we have to change it now, why? And I am so done with the hockey talk (says the guy who lived in NY in 1994). For me hockey ceased to matter when I moved back to Florida. Because, really, hockey in Florida?!?! WTF! Wearing shorts to a hockey game is just wrong.

/Rant Off

Thanks, I feel better now.
I'm going to ride the bike home today, I'll throw in the occasional interval.

Edited by cdban66 2012-04-25 3:02 PM

2012-04-25 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

2012-04-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4172923

User image

Seattle
ukweeble - 2012-04-25 2:51 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-25 8:28 PM

But i said 'Bagsy not me'!

Say again? In Amurican? 

PS BOTH the Brits I work with have a picture of the Queen pinned in their cubicle and it says "I AM NOT WATCHING YOU"

Brits, man. 

2012-04-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4172966

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-25 3:04 PM

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

Ya know, sometimes life just takes priority. Let's call it a taper? Or a taper carbo-load?

Just get back with it when you are back and pleeeease don't stress over it while you are indulging Smile 

I think that is a good nervous face, that or Sealed 

2012-04-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4172955

User image

Seattle

cdban66 - 2012-04-25 3:01 PM Icing - found on the top of cupcakes or cake. YUMMY! /Rant On No touch icing is the hockey equivalent of the designated hitter in baseball. The game has been around for how long? And we have to change it now, why? And I am so done with the hockey talk (says the guy who lived in NY in 1994). For me hockey ceased to matter when I moved back to Florida. Because, really, hockey in Florida?!?! WTF! Wearing shorts to a hockey game is just wrong. /Rant Off Thanks, I feel better now. I'm going to ride the bike home today, I'll throw in the occasional interval.

In defense of hockey in Florida...hockey players technically wear shorts on the ice Smile 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81