General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-16 2:25 PM
in reply to: xatefrogg

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I've watched this roughly 8 times over the first 4 months of my program but it dropped off my rotation. Thanks for posting again as I watched it twice during my last 2 hour ride leading up to next Sunday.

Did a open water swim in my new wetsuit today in Chicago, a DeSoto T1..honestly feels like I"m cheating..or maybe I'm just too used to feel like my legs are filled with adamantium in the pool (nerd check). Whatever the case - HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all you fellow dads out there and enjoy the week leading up. My primary goal is to get my wife and 20 month old to survive a flight from Chicago, then to avoid nervous athletes at the event, then to do a swim/bike/run, and finally relax for a few weeks before training for some speed for an upcoming Oly distance.

Cheers all!

2013-06-16 5:41 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Spokane
I gotta stop looking at the forecast for Sunday lol. Yesterday it was saying 84 with 34 mph wind gust... today it says 83 with 11mph wind gust.. so that's better. I need another hobby to occupy my time I am going insane over here!
2013-06-16 6:50 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by dkahns51

I gotta stop looking at the forecast for Sunday lol. Yesterday it was saying 84 with 34 mph wind gust... today it says 83 with 11mph wind gust.. so that's better. I need another hobby to occupy my time I am going insane over here!

Weather.com shows this.
Sun
Jun 23
77°
51°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
ENE at 6 mph

Accuweather shows

Hi 79°
RealFeel® 84°
Precipitation 3%
Day

NESW
N 3 mph
Gusts: 11 mph
2013-06-16 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I've been paranoid about getting sick or hurt the last couple of weeks, especially on the bike - it seems like everyone is out to get me.  It almost happened today, and it would have been a classic.

I'm finishing up a 25 mile ride, only a mile from home and going at a pretty good 23 mph clip - I come around a bend and about twenty yards ahead, a moose is standing right in the middle of the road.  I hit the breaks and skidded a little, which got his attention - but he just stood there staring at me.  I was pretty pleased with myself for getting out of aero so quick and avoiding the collision, but I was going to have to make a decision real soon - unclip and become a sitting duck, power on past and hope he just watches, or execute a tricky u-turn that I'm not prepared for.

Luckily, at the last second, he decided to get out of there and took off like a rocket.  When I showed up, there were two cars coming from the opposite direction that had stopped to take pictures and watch.  Apparently the moose was not at all bothered by people with cameras in motor vehicles, but when I showed up wearing neon green and a strange looking helmet, sitting on something with horns pointing right at him - he decided that was too much.

2013-06-16 10:44 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

I've been paranoid about getting sick or hurt the last couple of weeks, especially on the bike - it seems like everyone is out to get me.  It almost happened today, and it would have been a classic.

I'm finishing up a 25 mile ride, only a mile from home and going at a pretty good 23 mph clip - I come around a bend and about twenty yards ahead, a moose is standing right in the middle of the road.  I hit the breaks and skidded a little, which got his attention - but he just stood there staring at me.  I was pretty pleased with myself for getting out of aero so quick and avoiding the collision, but I was going to have to make a decision real soon - unclip and become a sitting duck, power on past and hope he just watches, or execute a tricky u-turn that I'm not prepared for.

Luckily, at the last second, he decided to get out of there and took off like a rocket.  When I showed up, there were two cars coming from the opposite direction that had stopped to take pictures and watch.  Apparently the moose was not at all bothered by people with cameras in motor vehicles, but when I showed up wearing neon green and a strange looking helmet, sitting on something with horns pointing right at him - he decided that was too much.

I know how you feel. We are in Buffalo Wyoming and both my kids just started having headache and a fever. Am I a bad guy when I tell them please don't touch me and breath into your shirt for the rest of the trip till after the race. It's tough being on the road. I'm gonna do 50 minute son the dread mill, but breaking away from the family for a little workout is tougher than at home.
See everyone soon. Keep me posted about swims or driving the bike course. I didn't see any defined things yet.
Chris
2013-06-16 11:54 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
I hear all about getting sick right now. I've been taking vitamins drinking a little extra water goong to bed a little earlier.

Less than 7 days now and we will be doing something most people will never attempt.

I need to put my list together check it twice clean my bikw put different tires on my race wheels.

So many things to do yet I'm not doing any of it lol.

2013-06-17 12:15 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
What was that Google Docs page?
2013-06-17 12:57 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by maverickbassets  I know how you feel. We are in Buffalo Wyoming ...
'Nough said... I've had to stop there a couple of times... nobody stops in Buffalo unless it's absolutely necessary - good luck the rest of the way, you're getting closer!
2013-06-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by smithe68

Originally posted by dkahns51

Weather.com shows this.
Sun
Jun 23
77°
51°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
ENE at 6 mph

Accuweather shows

Hi 79°
RealFeel® 84°
Precipitation 3%
Day

NESW
N 3 mph
Gusts: 11 mph

Now that we're 6 days out I start looking at local TV station forecasts. Looks like the weather will be downright freezing! Haven't seen 40's and 50's since February.
2013-06-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Veteran
Denver area
My throat started to itch yesterday morning. I hope hope hope its allergies / smoke (I'm not far from the CO Springs fires). I took a bunch of allergy meds last night and woke up feeling better, but not totally better.

I did my last "long" ride yesterday - 45 miles and 2500 ft climbing. Coach's notes called for "easy, middle hour at IM effort". I got all twisty in my head, thinking "I haven't ridden hills in 2 weeks, how will my legs remember what to do?" I didn't take the hills hard and really, it was more of a moderate/easy effort. But mentally it did me a bunch of good.

I NEED to start pulling my crap together tonight. I was a big couch potato all weekend and didn't do much.
2013-06-17 12:38 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the neoprene cap.  I wore it a couple of weeks ago and after about a mile it was making my jaw sore from the resistance when I opened my mouth to breath.  I seem to be fine with just a silicone and a latex double cap - but I haven't tried to see if that is sufficient for the full distance (BTW water temp is 64 - but might drop with colder weather Wed-Fri).

Also debating calf compression sleeves.  I'm thinking I will wear them for the run, my legs seem to feel much better with them.  But they are kind of a pain to get on, so I was wondering about just putting them on before the swim.  I've had troubles with calf cramps during long swims in the past, I'm wondering if they might help or hurt with that.

2013-06-17 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
For the Neoprene cap...I put it on with the chin strap, put on my swim cap and then pull the chin strap over and on to the back of my head. I hate the chin strap, I should just cut it off..

Hope that helps.

I dropped off my bike and gear bag yesterday at Tri Bike Transport, very nervous about that.

I'll be happy when I'm in CdA with all of my stuff.

2013-06-17 1:27 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Just swam 1 mile in lake Cda this morning. It was pretty choppy and I want to get exposed to it since some of the CDA IMs in the past have been choppy. The temp is about 63 degrees and perfect for me. I think anything more than one regular cap is too much. I road the Mica Monster over the weekend......I dont care how good of shape I am in, its still a tough climb.
2013-06-17 1:41 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Regular
I just am planning on wearing the cap provided along with my silicone cap. I think that will provide enough warmth. The neoprene one really sucks to use and I only use mine water in the 50s.

The chop can be bad out there and of course I really haven't had much in terms of OWS this year. Only 1 10 minute session is all I've been able to do. Hopefully this Friday when we meet up that will be helpful.

Does anyone have a time frame yet to meet for a swim?

2013-06-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by spie34

I just am planning on wearing the cap provided along with my silicone cap. I think that will provide enough warmth. The neoprene one really sucks to use and I only use mine water in the 50s.

The chop can be bad out there and of course I really haven't had much in terms of OWS this year. Only 1 10 minute session is all I've been able to do. Hopefully this Friday when we meet up that will be helpful.

Does anyone have a time frame yet to meet for a swim?

What is Friday's plan anyways? I don't know if I will swim or not but, I would like to meet up with folks and offer up some seats (3+ me comfortably, 4+ me less so) for the tour of the course.
2013-06-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the neoprene cap.  I wore it a couple of weeks ago and after about a mile it was making my jaw sore from the resistance when I opened my mouth to breath.  I seem to be fine with just a silicone and a latex double cap - but I haven't tried to see if that is sufficient for the full distance (BTW water temp is 64 - but might drop with colder weather Wed-Fri).

Also debating calf compression sleeves.  I'm thinking I will wear them for the run, my legs seem to feel much better with them.  But they are kind of a pain to get on, so I was wondering about just putting them on before the swim.  I've had troubles with calf cramps during long swims in the past, I'm wondering if they might help or hurt with that.

I thought i heard compression gear isnt aloud during the swim.

Edit; sorry compression can't be worn during NON-wetsuit swims... so you are good to go!

Edited by dkahns51 2013-06-17 4:18 PM

2013-06-17 5:21 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Calf cramps are my nemesis since turning 50. I am much better with compression sock or sleeves. I will be wearing them.

Hey.....How about putting a big BT on one of our calves so during the Marathon we can spot each other?
2013-06-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I'm not sure if there's a running list of BT members doing the race but if you all want to get one going with you real name (optional), bt username, and bib number I can put up a web page that lists everyone's splits during the race that auto updates throughout the day.
2013-06-17 6:32 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
2013-06-17 6:57 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
We have a spread sheet running, but there will be no way I can remember everyones name during the race. I was just hoping with a BT on the calf, we can give out a shout/hello to our fellow blog mates. Too late for a Team shirt/logo.
2013-06-17 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MRGIBBS

We have a spread sheet running, but there will be no way I can remember everyones name during the race. I was just hoping with a BT on the calf, we can give out a shout/hello to our fellow blog mates. Too late for a Team shirt/logo.

I would throw a BT on a calf, or just look for a Superman logo w/small blue flames around it on the back of my left calf.

(supertatt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
supertatt.jpg (87KB - 21 downloads)

2013-06-17 10:24 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Anyone know if cycling shoes are allowed to be clipped into the pedals or do they go in the bike bag (IMSG 2012 wouldn't let age groupers have their shoes clipped in).
2013-06-17 10:55 PM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

West Jordan, UT
Per the athlete guide. Shoes will not be allowed to be clipped in for age groupers.
2013-06-18 12:29 AM
in reply to: mruss77

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I'm not racing in this race, but I have been creeping on your thread today to capture your excitement to keep me motivated through my final two weeks of build before starting to taper for my first IM. Good luck to all of you! I can't wait to hear all about your success on race day! You got this!!!
2013-06-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
I may have missed this, but what mile marker is the bike special needs bags at? I'm trying to decide if I want to carry both bottles of nutrition or leave one in special needs to be picked up..
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57