BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-10 8:53 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kaburns1214
Originally posted by everlong With the date coming closer I just went and checked the weather for Williamsburg for race day and it's calling for a high of 97 with 90% humidity and a real feel of 106 degree. I've done an Olympic in those conditions and nearly landed in the medical tent. I know it's still a week and a half out but I wanted to puke when I saw that.
Its do-able but you will need to DRINK DRINK DRINK early and often. Also, as has been previously stated, extended forecasts are a crap shoot. You may up with 70 and cloudy.

In addition to this cold water on the head and ice down the pants if available. 

Ice in the hat too.

2013-06-11 6:57 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
B Scott- If it makes you feel better it was suppose to be in the high 80's and sunny on my race at the same location and it ended up being in the low 70's and overcast. Anything is possible. Trust me I am hoping for those same conditions in two weeks.
2013-06-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Congrats to everyone that raced this weekend!

Sorry I haven't been around. Spent all day after the race hanging out with family that had come up to watch me race. I have a report coming. To sum it up quickly, Swim=horrible, bike= Great, run=awesome! Overall= great race. I PR'd for that distance and PR'd the 10k as well. I know I am more capable on the swim and it will show for Rev3 I am sure. I learned some good lessons and how to deal with adversity during a race which will help in the long run.
2013-06-11 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kidtri33

B Scott- If it makes you feel better it was suppose to be in the high 80's and sunny on my race at the same location and it ended up being in the low 70's and overcast. Anything is possible. Trust me I am hoping for those same conditions in two weeks.

They already revised it to a lower temp. I was just shocked to see 97 and yesterday was just one of those days so seeing that I just rolled my eyes and thought of course it will be.
2013-06-11 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and Congratulations! I appreciate them and channeled all of you through the race! Jen - I thought of you in transition specifically with your advice to make sure I was comfortable for the next leg and not think about what happened on the previous leg. Larkin- I remembered your advice of have fun!! LOL And Scott - I smiled a lot as your recommended and wished I had listened to your advice of 'follow your nutrition plan even if your don't want to'. Of course, Kelly, your many positive words over the last three years were always with me! I really did like this distance, but don't see myself taking the next step to a full for a long time.

So I finished and my race report is here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=491813

I was quiet yesterday as I processed everything.I am coming to your guys this morning with lots of mixed emotions that I am not sure how to process. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I finished, but I am having regret over some mistakes/decisions I made and I want a redo!LOL I think in my head, even if I never verbalized it, I had expectations and I fell way short of my expectations for me. I think you guys are really the only ones that will understand that. My friends in real life just say I am being too hard on myself and too self critical - they have told me I did something amazing that not everyone can do. But that is who I am. I am a type A overachiever who hates falling short of her goals. How do I process this and accept my results for what they are with the mistakes I made. Is it normal to have some post race let down when you should be ecstatic?

And I think you guys already know that I am a really crappy swimmer to begin with, but this was my worst swim ever in a triathlon. I am seriously thinking of doing duathlons from here on out.
2013-06-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DDVMM

So I finished and my race report is here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=491813

And I think you guys already know that I am a really crappy swimmer to begin with, but this was my worst swim ever in a triathlon. I am seriously thinking of doing duathlons from here on out.

Stick with the swimming. Its all about form and there's no reason in time you won't improve.

Rice race report. One comment is the average cadence of 77. Was this by design or did you coast a bit to keep your HR down? Unless the course is really hilly I keep mime right around 95 or higher. Going with the higher cadence I find really saves your legs for the run.

2013-06-11 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by everlong

Stick with the swimming. Its all about form and there's no reason in time you won't improve.

Rice race report. One comment is the average cadence of 77. Was this by design or did you coast a bit to keep your HR down? Unless the course is really hilly I keep mime right around 95 or higher. Going with the higher cadence I find really saves your legs for the run.

I was surprised by the cadence. I didn't have cadence up on my watch so didn't know what it was until after the race. On the trainer, my cadence is usually between 85-90. Outside I find that it is usually between 75-80. This was a flat race so I was pedaling the entire time - maybe I had my gears too hard and should have kept them easier to keep the cadence higher? I guess I don't know enough about shifting, cadence, etc.
2013-06-11 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

And B-Scott, it's been 3 years I have been trying to improve my swim. LOL
2013-06-11 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by DDVMM Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and Congratulations! I appreciate them and channeled all of you through the race! Jen - I thought of you in transition specifically with your advice to make sure I was comfortable for the next leg and not think about what happened on the previous leg. Larkin- I remembered your advice of have fun!! LOL And Scott - I smiled a lot as your recommended and wished I had listened to your advice of 'follow your nutrition plan even if your don't want to'. Of course, Kelly, your many positive words over the last three years were always with me! I really did like this distance, but don't see myself taking the next step to a full for a long time. So I finished and my race report is here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=491813 I was quiet yesterday as I processed everything.I am coming to your guys this morning with lots of mixed emotions that I am not sure how to process. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I finished, but I am having regret over some mistakes/decisions I made and I want a redo!LOL I think in my head, even if I never verbalized it, I had expectations and I fell way short of my expectations for me. I think you guys are really the only ones that will understand that. My friends in real life just say I am being too hard on myself and too self critical - they have told me I did something amazing that not everyone can do. But that is who I am. I am a type A overachiever who hates falling short of her goals. How do I process this and accept my results for what they are with the mistakes I made. Is it normal to have some post race let down when you should be ecstatic? And I think you guys already know that I am a really crappy swimmer to begin with, but this was my worst swim ever in a triathlon. I am seriously thinking of doing duathlons from here on out.

Oh Michele you sound like me.  I wanted a redo of IMTX as soon as the adrenaline and euphoria wore off.  Is it normal?  I don't know, but it is for me.

Look it was your first race at a new distance.  It's tough.  We can give you advice until we're blue in the face but you have no frame of reference to apply it.  Rare is the athlete who goes out and crushes their first half or full.  You had a bad swim, a good bike, and ran into some nutrition issues on the run.  Sounds like a lot of people I know.  Oh and stop it with this duathlon stuff.  My guess is you actually already have another half in mind you'd like to do to right this whole situation.    So we go back to the drawing board, get you more comfortable with your swim, and find some nutrition you don't mind choking down for six hours.

For what it's worth I'm very proud of you.  And you can look at it this way, the next one you're pretty much assured a PR. 

2013-06-11 8:56 AM

User image

Expert

I was surprised by the cadence. I didn't have cadence up on my watch so didn't know what it was until after the race. On the trainer, my cadence is usually between 85-90. Outside I find that it is usually between 75-80. This was a flat race so I was pedaling the entire time - maybe I had my gears too hard and should have kept them easier to keep the cadence higher? I guess I don't know enough about shifting, cadence, etc.

I train specifically at different cadences on the trainer so I know what they feel like and on the road I find I've developed the intuition to know about where I'm at without having to check. I'll spend time with cadence as high as 110 at different intensities and the same on the low end down to 60. I feel this develops different muscle types as well. It also allows me to do short climbs by going up in cadence without shifting.
2013-06-11 8:57 AM

User image

Expert

And B-Scott, it's been 3 years I have been trying to improve my swim. LOL

Do you do drills? Take masters swim? Ever had coaching? There's still lots of ways to improve.

2013-06-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
To add to your reading pleasure after you are done with Michele's; here is my race report as well:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thanks again everyone for your support!

Taper is starting this week and next then REV3 here we come!

Edited by kidtri33 2013-06-11 9:05 AM
2013-06-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by DDVMM Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and Congratulations! I appreciate them and channeled all of you through the race! Jen - I thought of you in transition specifically with your advice to make sure I was comfortable for the next leg and not think about what happened on the previous leg. Larkin- I remembered your advice of have fun!! LOL And Scott - I smiled a lot as your recommended and wished I had listened to your advice of 'follow your nutrition plan even if your don't want to'. Of course, Kelly, your many positive words over the last three years were always with me! I really did like this distance, but don't see myself taking the next step to a full for a long time. So I finished and my race report is here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=491813 I was quiet yesterday as I processed everything.I am coming to your guys this morning with lots of mixed emotions that I am not sure how to process. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I finished, but I am having regret over some mistakes/decisions I made and I want a redo!LOL I think in my head, even if I never verbalized it, I had expectations and I fell way short of my expectations for me. I think you guys are really the only ones that will understand that. My friends in real life just say I am being too hard on myself and too self critical - they have told me I did something amazing that not everyone can do. But that is who I am. I am a type A overachiever who hates falling short of her goals. How do I process this and accept my results for what they are with the mistakes I made. Is it normal to have some post race let down when you should be ecstatic? And I think you guys already know that I am a really crappy swimmer to begin with, but this was my worst swim ever in a triathlon. I am seriously thinking of doing duathlons from here on out.

Oh Michele you sound like me.  I wanted a redo of IMTX as soon as the adrenaline and euphoria wore off.  Is it normal?  I don't know, but it is for me.

Look it was your first race at a new distance.  It's tough.  We can give you advice until we're blue in the face but you have no frame of reference to apply it.  Rare is the athlete who goes out and crushes their first half or full.  You had a bad swim, a good bike, and ran into some nutrition issues on the run.  Sounds like a lot of people I know.  Oh and stop it with this duathlon stuff.  My guess is you actually already have another half in mind you'd like to do to right this whole situation.    So we go back to the drawing board, get you more comfortable with your swim, and find some nutrition you don't mind choking down for six hours.

For what it's worth I'm very proud of you.  And you can look at it this way, the next one you're pretty much assured a PR. 

Thanks Scott. You made me cry - not an easy feat. I really felt like I was crawling back here with my tail between my legs as a huge disappointment to everyone. And I have looked for other races - but they have been duathlons. LOL
2013-06-11 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
2013-06-11 9:11 AM

User image

Expert

To add to your reading pleasure after you are done with Michele's; here is my race report as well:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thanks again everyone for your support!

Taper is starting this week and next then REV3 here we come!

Great job. If you can do 90% of that speed for REV3 on the bike and run you'll have a sweet time.
2013-06-11 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Thanks Scott. You made me cry - not an easy feat. I really felt like I was crawling back here with my tail between my legs as a huge disappointment to everyone. And I have looked for other races - but they have been duathlons. LOL
Plus you have to do another HIM because we all have to do one together I think T-Scott hit it on the head here. Take this as a lesson learned and a great accomplishment. Realize that every bit of the race was a positive by what you learned through the whole race experience and can apply those lessons to the next one. I am glad you had fun though

2013-06-11 9:28 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Plus you have to do another HIM because we all have to do one together I think T-Scott hit it on the head here. Take this as a lesson learned and a great accomplishment. Realize that every bit of the race was a positive by what you learned through the whole race experience and can apply those lessons to the next one. I am glad you had fun though

Agreed, I've got another year before I think I'll be ready for HIM, but it would be great to do it with y'all.

2013-06-11 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I make females cry on a daily basis.  Normally six and under, but I have a knack.  Look Kelly and I would be proud of you if you DNF'd.  I'm proud of the work you put in, the long hours.  I know what coach puts in Training Peaks.  It's not easy to wake up day after day and put in the work.  The race is one day.  No one is going to be disappointed about your performance on one day.  And honestly it wasn't bad. 

BTW I might have Larkin convinced to come do NOLA with me and probably Kelly next year.  You should come.  It is generally around Jazz Fest time. 

2013-06-11 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and Congratulations! I appreciate them and channeled all of you through the race! Jen - I thought of you in transition specifically with your advice to make sure I was comfortable for the next leg and not think about what happened on the previous leg. Larkin- I remembered your advice of have fun!! LOL And Scott - I smiled a lot as your recommended and wished I had listened to your advice of 'follow your nutrition plan even if your don't want to'. Of course, Kelly, your many positive words over the last three years were always with me! I really did like this distance, but don't see myself taking the next step to a full for a long time.

I was quiet yesterday as I processed everything.I am coming to your guys this morning with lots of mixed emotions that I am not sure how to process. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I finished, but I am having regret over some mistakes/decisions I made and I want a redo!LOL I think in my head, even if I never verbalized it, I had expectations and I fell way short of my expectations for me. I think you guys are really the only ones that will understand that. My friends in real life just say I am being too hard on myself and too self critical - they have told me I did something amazing that not everyone can do. But that is who I am. I am a type A overachiever who hates falling short of her goals. How do I process this and accept my results for what they are with the mistakes I made. Is it normal to have some post race let down when you should be ecstatic?

Like I said to you -- YOU WERE AWESOME! Be proud of your accomplishment. Its pretty normal to feel "down" post race, but you should be proud of what you did and be looking forward to getting better. You are an Athlete with a capital "A"!
2013-06-11 10:59 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Like I said to you -- YOU WERE AWESOME! Be proud of your accomplishment. Its pretty normal to feel "down" post race, but you should be proud of what you did and be looking forward to getting better. You are an Athlete with a capital "A"!

Thank you!! You're the best!
2013-06-11 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

First of all I want to tell you how proud I am of you, Michele. We were all cheering you on!!!!

The jump from olympic to HIM is huge. It's a long race! I think it's normal to obsess over the details of the race in the days following it. I go through a series of emotions - elation to disappointment (in myself) to depression. Then I find a new race, sign up, and move on I think you need to reflect on some of the things you did well. A year from now you won't remember what your swim split was at Eagleman.....but you might remember how much you loved the bike course or the fact that you kept on running when everyone around you was walking. Be proud of the work you put into this race.

2013-06-11 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Michele,

As a complete newb, I gotta say that I am proud of you too. I initially hesitated to say that because I know that if someone feels differently, those words may ring hollow. But as I prepare for my first 70.3 in my very first season, I find inspiration in hearing from those (you) who tackle those initial barriers. The fact that you did it, is, in and of itself, a very awesome thing. The mixed emotions that you have experienced, I struggle with too. I try to remind myself daily to be proud of accomplishing a goal and doing something scary vs reaching a hoped for time. Even though I did fairly well in my last (and 2nd race) and was pleased and proud...I have moments of....geeze I wish I had done a bit faster on the bike...I still kinda suck at swimming how can I make 1.2 miles. All this to say, which may have been lost, is that you did it and that is really awesome and I (again) am very very happy for you.
2013-06-11 2:29 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

I echo everyone's great thoughts as above.... proud Michelle!!
2013-06-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Had to stay late at work tonight so missed my TT. However, I have hill repeats at 5:30 tomorrow am.

Although I'm starting to feel a little more positive about IMLP, I'm exhausted ALL the time, even on my 'off' days. Is this normal? I fell asleep at work for 1.5 hours today and an hour yesterday.

Kelly, did you do your 45 min ride today, how was the leg?
2013-06-11 8:11 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Had to stay late at work tonight so missed my TT. However, I have hill repeats at 5:30 tomorrow am.

Although I'm starting to feel a little more positive about IMLP, I'm exhausted ALL the time, even on my 'off' days. Is this normal? I fell asleep at work for 1.5 hours today and an hour yesterday.

Kelly, did you do your 45 min ride today, how was the leg?

My training pales in comparison to yours but there are times that I have caught myself doing a head bob while listening to a patient...always in the afternoon around 1 or 2.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86