Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-07-29 8:07 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Yesterday's long brick was pretty good, considering the temperatures. I got horribly, terribly lost in the middle and ended up running out of nutrition and water at one point. Then it was simply a desperate attempt to find water for a bit, which you wouldn't think was difficult on a public use trail system with about 1000 entry points, but I struck out multiple times. And to their defense, I did get off the trail system for a bit to get in some hills and longer intervals without road crossings, which is where my sense of direction got turned around and I missed the turn off to the park where I was supposed to get back on the trail. Ended up with basically three solid hours, then 90' of start/stop, look at the map, realize I was going the wrong way, stop and search around for the water station...etc. In my defense, it took a few maps to realize that the posted maps were not all oriented the same way (i.e., north toward the top). It was a disaster for a while and I ended up using google maps to get home. I was riding right through downtown of a few towns and then when I finally did find the trail that would take me back to my car, there was a 6" curb with no cutout (how is this possible?!?!?!). Anyway, made it back to the car and got in some water and mixed up nutrition. Ate a few granola balls. It turns out, drinking too much water and eating granola balls was not such a great idea. Finished out the ride strong on a trail I know by heart. Ended up doing 94.3mi, so I feel pretty good about my bike fitness.

The run afterwards was not great. Was not even a run for most of it. I started about 1pm, so right in the hottest part of the day. I didn't check the temp, but my iPhone wasn't working due to being overheated, so that should tell you something. I managed to run the warmup and the first 10' interval, but then my HR would just not come down during the rest interval...at all. I was walking and it was still in the 150s. I decided to walk in the sunny spots and run in the shady spots, but that didn't really work well, as I had reached a place where the path wasn't shaded very much. Alas...I ended up walking the last half of the run. Oh well...I feel pretty confident that it was entirely the weather and not the ride that caused the issue. My legs felt great. It was just too hot for that nonsense and I figure it is better to live to fight another day than blow up on the last training brick of the plan. I'm up this morning with no soreness in my legs at all, which is amazing. Last year I was sore all the time. My neck is sore, but I think that is always the case. I wore my aero helmet the whole ride yesterday, and it weighs twice what my "regular" helmet weighs. Not sure which I'll choose for the race. Not sure how much aerohelmets help at 18-20mph...is it worth the extra weight on the uphills and the heat retention?

2023-07-29 11:50 AM
in reply to: #5286305

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
1750yd swim turned into 2500yd swim somehow (having fun with swim team). Felt good with no residual soreness or cramping from yesterday’s efforts.
2023-07-29 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Not sure which I'll choose for the race. Not sure how much aerohelmets help at 18-20mph...is it worth the extra weight on the uphills and the heat retention?

I would say choose the lighter one of you have neck pain after yesterday’s ride

I decided to walk in the sunny spots and run in the shady spots

Funny, I do the opposite when I run in the heat, I want to stay the longest in the shady spots and get the hell out of the sunny ones ASAP

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-29 12:37 PM
2023-07-29 12:19 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You’ll be pleased to hear that 2018 Nat is no longer the holder of any triathlon records (still holds the 10k PR).
She was leading all the way as I had a slower swim, about same bike and slower transitions but she got her arse kicked on the run. Very happy about that after last year’s debacle on the run. I managed the 3k under 15 minutes which is HUGE for me.

Only better by 6 seconds (not 2 minutes as I thought I could) but still, I am 5 years older and slightly faster. I’ll take that . I’ll have to change my profile pic now, as that was taken at that race in 2018.

This was enough for a 3rd place, some 9 minutes behind the winner and one minute behind number 2.

Met 2 people from my training groups, one of them won the men’s oly.

Race report to follow

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-29 3:22 PM
2023-07-29 6:01 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great job Nat!!!
2023-07-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #5286312

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:40 ows with friends who say it was 2.5miles. My watch registered 563yds for a whopping 16:43/100yds. :D. I forgot to restart it at our first gathering spot, so I think it freaked out and stopped tracking when I restarted it. Would have been nice to have some current ows pace information to set goals for race day on, but oh well. Came home and did a 73’ bike with 4x10’ Z3 intervals. Had an absolute blast training today in both sessions. After an 18:39 week, TAPER HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

2023-07-30 4:36 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

You’ll be pleased to hear that 2018 Nat is no longer the holder of any triathlon records (still holds the 10k PR).
She was leading all the way as I had a slower swim, about same bike and slower transitions but she got her arse kicked on the run. Very happy about that after last year’s debacle on the run. I managed the 3k under 15 minutes which is HUGE for me.

Only better by 6 seconds (not 2 minutes as I thought I could) but still, I am 5 years older and slightly faster. I’ll take that . I’ll have to change my profile pic now, as that was taken at that race in 2018.

This was enough for a 3rd place, some 9 minutes behind the winner and one minute behind number 2.

Met 2 people from my training groups, one of them won the men’s oly.

Race report to follow

Great job Nat. What's the saying? Bike for show, run for dough. Sounds like you had a well paced first 3 legs then turned on the afterburners when it matters most. Well done.
2023-07-30 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My neck is sore, but I think that is always the case. I wore my aero helmet the whole ride yesterday, and it weighs twice what my "regular" helmet weighs. Not sure which I'll choose for the race. Not sure how much aerohelmets help at 18-20mph...is it worth the extra weight on the uphills and the heat retention?

This close to the race it's too late to change anything. But if you're always getting a sore neck that might be a sign to look at your fit post race. Wouldn't touch it before though.

From my understanding the Aero helmet is one of the biggest aero gains you can purchase. And compared to the cost of aero wheels one of the most cost effective. For pretty much every triathlon (even the mad climbing ones like Norseman) Aero trumps weight. So all things being equal you will be faster with the aero helmet than your road one.

BUT, if the weight is contributing to your sore neck, that's going to stop you holding the aero position, which wipes out any gains every time you sit up. It probably also makes you suffer more on the run, slowing you again. Also if you're having overheating issues then no question your road helmet will be better for that.

If it were me, I'd go for comfort over absolute pace and use the road one. But if you do you are probably leaving a few minutes of aerogains on the table.
2023-07-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Reasonably happy with my week.

Swim: 0
Bike: x2, 2hr
Run: x5, 3hr5min

Considering I was away for half the week I think I did ok. It was my best running week for 9 weeks. So that's nice.

Today is officially the start of week 1 of my 19 week training plan for Ironman Taupo (70.3). And 31 weeks till Ironman NZ (140.6) I think I'm in a reasonably good place to train for a successful summer racing. Although June/July have been disappointing training through injury and illness, the rest of the year has been good. So I think I've got a better base to start from. Weight-wise, I'm heavier than I want to be. But I am lighter than the last 2 times I started a 70.3 and the trend is continuing in the right direction pretty consistently for the last 4-5 months.

I'm travelling again for a couple of days this week, so I'm going to move things around a bit and have my rest day on a plane. But lookng forward to a solid week to kick things off with.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2023-07-31 5:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Reasonably happy with my week.

Swim: 0
Bike: x2, 2hr
Run: x5, 3hr5min

Considering I was away for half the week I think I did ok. It was my best running week for 9 weeks. So that's nice.

Today is officially the start of week 1 of my 19 week training plan for Ironman Taupo (70.3). And 31 weeks till Ironman NZ (140.6) I think I'm in a reasonably good place to train for a successful summer racing. Although June/July have been disappointing training through injury and illness, the rest of the year has been good. So I think I've got a better base to start from. Weight-wise, I'm heavier than I want to be. But I am lighter than the last 2 times I started a 70.3 and the trend is continuing in the right direction pretty consistently for the last 4-5 months.

I'm travelling again for a couple of days this week, so I'm going to move things around a bit and have my rest day on a plane. But lookng forward to a solid week to kick things off with.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Sounds like you are ready for the serious work to start!

my week's numbers:

S 3050m 1h14-
B 63.3k 2h22
R 15.83 k 1 1h55

No long run last week, I replaced it with a slow ride the day after my race.

Tonight I am only doing the run in the practice sprint with my club as I will be helping out on the bike course this time instead of participating but I figure once the last one is done with the bike, I'll run with them.

2023-07-31 7:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sorta rest day for me. It should be, but then there is an OWS at the local lake with the tri club this evening. I'm thinking about going to that, simply because I haven't had much OWS practice this season. It will be about a mile swim if I do, which is on the plan for tomorrow.

Otherwise, just gonna refresh the weather page all day. :D Current long range forecast is 78F (25-26C) and mostly cloudy for race day. I can handle that!

2023-07-31 7:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Current long range forecast is 78F (25-26C) and mostly cloudy for race day. I can handle that!

perfect weather!
2023-07-31 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, folks.  Looks like we had a big weekend around here. 

@Nathalie:  yay 2023 Nat!!!  Nice work and like Andrew said you seemed to hold back just enough to hammer the run and I know that's been a bugaboo of yours in the past; I'm going to assume you crushed the transitions as well; podium!!!

@Gretchen:  you never disappoint with your training stories!!  re:  aero helmet...yes they really help but only if you are comfortable with it on AND hold aero position correctly otherwise it's slower than not having one - there's a nice middle ground with an aero road helmet (more gear!!!) but like Andrew said I wouldn't try anything new right now; I'm also hitting the weather pages - looking at mid-80s (probably around 75 at race start) with no chance in hell of wetsuits

@Andrew:  solid week for you...here's to hoping it continues; 19 weeks?  that's a freakin' prime number dude and it's giving me a headache; do you have four 4-week blocks then 3 weeks of peak/taper/race?  I personally like plans divisible by four 

The weekend was a practice tri on Saturday - 500 yard swim +/-, 10 miles on the bike @ race pace (averaged 21.6 mph) and then just under 2 miles running at race pace with my daughter - as usual she smoked me on the swim, I destroyed her on the bike, and then we ran the same pace; we both felt great and looked at each other afterwards and both said "you know, we could CRUSH a sprint right now" but we both committed to the Oly (her first, and probably my last) so we're going to stick with that.

Sunday was supposed to be 2500 in the pool but I don't do math well and ran out of time, so finished at 2100 (yes, I know...).  Then The Wife and I walked 5 miles at a pretty good clip then I race-walked another 3/4 mile or so to finish.  That puts a wrap on July for me, easily the biggest training month of my "career" with almost 53 hours and 2,700 TSS of training.  I also rescued my swim and run training with a really good last week.

Swim: 7h 10m 48s - 17900 Yd (in the top ten monthly all-time)
Bike: 28h 51m 13s - 524.45 Mi (all-time monthly record)
Run: 3h 41m 32s - 19.33 Mi
Strength: 4h 23m
Hiking/Walking : 8h 14m - 29+ miles, so ~ 50 total run/walk

Based on how training has gone lately I'm adjusting my expectations/goals higher and shooting for my Olympic PR of 2:38...I'm a faster swimmer and cyclist now and while I'm not sniffing my 50:17 10K during that race I know I have a sub-hour in me.  The bike course is a little short of 40K so I'll gain five minutes there, and I'm hoping no wetsuit won't kill my swim time.  I guess it all depends on how my back holds out on the run and hopefully the weather doesn't get too warm during the run.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-07-31 9:45 AM
2023-07-31 8:17 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! Just finished catching up on the 65 messages since the last time I checked in! Love hearing how everything is going with you all.

Nat, way to CRUSH 2018 Nat! Sounds like you absolutely dominated the run, which always is a great feeling!

Mike, awesome that you had a strong training tri this weekend. Did you go to Hammerman? Honestly, if you can crush a sprint, you'll probably crush an Oly too (based on my limited experience). Just make sure you hydrate!

Gretchen, the adventures continue! Can't believe your race is so close, and sounds like you are in a sweet spot.

Andrew, you continue to impress me with your balance of young children and training (and work travel in the mix too!). And in winter, no less!

2023-07-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've been kind of lazy the last couple weeks. I've done some bike boot camps, played some volleyball, but the heat (as stated by other US folks) has been pretty intense, and work was a bit wild (had a very short turnaround request for a very time intensive analysis I had to pull together), so the combination has knocked me out of my routine. Hoping to get back to it this week. I played vball yesterday morning, and have my vball league tonight. Gonna run or do a bike boot camp tomorrow morning, and some strength/core.

August is a busy month for me, but I need to keep to my routine. I think the start of that needs to be getting back into journaling every day, where I will keep task lists and weekly plans for meals and training. I always do better with a visual list of things to do, but if I don't look at it, it's useless.
2023-08-01 12:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah Mike, that’s the spirit, you go for that PR! Which vintage Andrew’s arse are we looking to kick?

Nicole, I hope you can get back into a routine despite life getting in the way. But you are getting plenty of exercice with volleyball

Happy new month! Here are my numbers for July

S 14.42 km 6h18
B 263.7k 11h26
R 92.51k 10:38
Strength: not so much

Races: two
Podiums two
PR at least one, I can’t find the result of that first race in 2019

2023-08-01 5:20 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Andrew:  solid week for you...here's to hoping it continues; 19 weeks?  that's a freakin' prime number dude and it's giving me a headache; do you have four 4-week blocks then 3 weeks of peak/taper/race?  I personally like plans divisible by four 

19 weeks is a horrible number. Agree 100%

I'm doing the 70.3, level 2 plan from the 80:20 triathlon book.

It's mostly 3 week blocks (2 build 3rd is cutback), but after the final big week (week 17) goes into a 2 week taper to race day. I suppose that kind of makes sense. Or maybe I start my 18 week plan next week, and this week my non plan training looks suspiciously like something I saw in a book on training one time. Haha.
2023-08-01 5:24 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Which vintage Andrew’s arse are we looking to kick?

Well I was at my fitest in the summer of 2012/13. Best result was a 2hr 39 olympic distance, and my 70.3 PB 6hr 40ish.

So I suppose we're racing that guy. Not sure if that's going to be achievable this year though. 2017 Andrew, who holds the 140.6 record is going down though.
2023-08-01 5:31 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm currently in my hotel room in Warrnambool, small town Australia about 3 1/2 hours drive from Melbourne. From walking out my door this morning to arriving onsite to start work was about 11 1/2 hours travel time. So after actually doing some work it's a long day.

Quite sleepy but managed to go for a 30 min Z2 run before dinner, and am tossing up doing a short 'junk mile' run before leaving in the morning. Plan has be driving out the gate here at 5:30am local time to get back to the airport. So, week 1, day 3, of training plan and already changing things.

3 years of no overseas travel, now twice in a week. Got to love the timing.
2023-08-01 5:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Which vintage Andrew’s arse are we looking to kick?

Well I was at my fitest in the summer of 2012/13. Best result was a 2hr 39 olympic distance, and my 70.3 PB 6hr 40ish.

So I suppose we're racing that guy. Not sure if that's going to be achievable this year though. 2017 Andrew, who holds the 140.6 record is going down though.

I mixed my Andrews with my Mikes LOL! There are only 2 guys and I still get it wrong! My question was to Mike, about his oly.

There is still a bit of time until your race but I am glad to hear 2017 doesn't stand a chance then!

2023-08-01 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Which vintage Andrew’s arse are we looking to kick?
Well I was at my fitest in the summer of 2012/13. Best result was a 2hr 39 olympic distance, and my 70.3 PB 6hr 40ish. So I suppose we're racing that guy. Not sure if that's going to be achievable this year though. 2017 Andrew, who holds the 140.6 record is going down though.
I mixed my Andrews with my Mikes LOL! There are only 2 guys and I still get it wrong! My question was to Mike, about his oly. There is still a bit of time until your race but I am glad to hear 2017 doesn't stand a chance then!

We are looking to run down 2014 Mike.  It's going to be a tough one as that guy was running like the wind with a 46:20 10K and a 21:57 5K in two months leading up to that 2:38:01 Oly.  All that run fitness came at a cost, tough, as his cycling wasn't great and he was still a sketchy open water swimmer back then. 

@Nathalie:  great new profile picture!! 

2023-08-01 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

One more solid run effort this morning during taper with 45 minutes on the treadmill, one mile @ T pace and a couple of 30" sprints towards the end while watching our soccer team stink up the joint against Portugal.  Looks like we got Sweden next in the knockout round and if we don't improve that's going to be all she wrote for the USWNT.

Must be race week as I had a dream last night that I forgot like half my crap for transitions. 

2023-08-01 8:14 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie:  great new profile picture!! 

can you see it? I can still see 2018 Nat (that loser) coming out of the same lake!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-01 8:49 AM
2023-08-01 8:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

One more solid run effort this morning during taper with 45 minutes on the treadmill, one mile @ T pace and a couple of 30" sprints towards the end while watching our soccer team stink up the joint against Portugal.  Looks like we got Sweden next in the knockout round and if we don't improve that's going to be all she wrote for the USWNT.

I sure hope so!

Must be race week as I had a dream last night that I forgot like half my crap for transitions. 

LOL! I do that to!
2023-08-01 9:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I recently dreamed that MiTi was switched to a mountain bike course (3 loops) at the last minute and the course involved a segment where you had to strap your bike to your bike and free climb a sheer cliff face. Yay for race stress dreams!!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland