General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-18 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4458976

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
bgraboski - 2012-10-18 10:02 AM

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 10:26 AM
GAUG3 - 2012-10-18 9:15 AM

anfbaker - 2012-10-18 9:10 AM Did anyone hear that Mike Reilly is not emcee for IMFL? No, this is not tragic...elicited a tiny "awww"...but still!

Where did you hear that?

I'm on a IMFL facebook group and someone posted it. I can't find any reference to it on another site, so just wondering if anyone else could confirm this.

That was me.  Asked him on Twitter.

Thanks...I suddenly got scared I was starting a crazy rumor crisis

The Steelhead 70.3 Emcee was FANTASTIC, so I expect whomever is there will be encouraging and great!

2012-10-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4459022

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Due to other events going on, Mike doesn't do IMFLA, but rest assured, there is an announcer to say "You Are An Ironman!"
2012-10-18 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4455848

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-16 12:06 PM

I got some great news today. I got an email telling my my reservation through VRBO at the Boardwalk Condominiums (that I made last November while in Panama City volunteering) had been cancelled.

No reason why, but they offered to get me a two BR at Shores of Panama for $300 more that what I was paying at Boardwalk.

It appears that crisis has been dodged. To make a long story short, I emailed the owners of the rental company than rented me the condo (and susequently cancelled my reservation) and copied everyone that was on the email they sent me. My email was refined, tactful and apparently it struck a cord with the condo owner.

The dispute was between condo owner and the owners of the rental company that was leasing the unit. She called my wife and I, emailed me and apologized to us both and is giving us the condo for the date we originally wanted, and for $300 less than what we originally booked for. All's well that ends well.

2012-10-18 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4459272

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-18 12:34 PM Due to other events going on, Mike doesn't do IMFLA, but rest assured, there is an announcer to say "You Are An Ironman!"

I am not sure Mike has ever announced at IMFL. I know he was not there last year.

2012-10-18 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4457243

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
bgraboski - 2012-10-17 8:53 AM

Speaking of LSUFan...where's everyone watching the game?  No dog in the fight (Gamecock season ticket holder) but huge SEC football fan.  Should be done by kickoff if wheels don't fall off the bus.

I have alot of friends/fellow competitors staying at Gulf Crest right on the run course and will have a tailgate set up on the course similar to what we did last year at Whispering Seas:

I plan on heading down there to watch it with them.  If my race is a disaster or I am just super tired, I'll probably head to my room and rest during the game so I can be re-energized and TRY and make the finish line at midnight,

2012-10-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4458974

User image

New user
Sick of the 3 a week 1.5 hr pool sessions.  I am ready to be done with swimming laps and do some swimming in the ocean.

2012-10-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3589984

Subject: when does online registration usually open?

I was very fortunate year before last and online registration stayed open for quite a while the day after in 2010 and had no problem registering. I will not be down there this year and am wondering if there is usually a published online opening time or if it just depends on how many people are on site the day after? Trying to plan my morning for that Sunday. After last years 16 minutes of being open, I don't want to miss it year.

Chris

2012-10-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4459292

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I wouldn't do an Ironman if I had to swim that much in training?  How many yards is that breaking down to a week, 12,000?  What do you expect ti swim at IMFLA?

Edited by LSUfan4444 2012-10-18 1:08 PM
2012-10-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4459330

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Subject: RE: when does online registration usually open?
chrisfreemanca - 2012-10-18 1:04 PM

I was very fortunate year before last and online registration stayed open for quite a while the day after in 2010 and had no problem registering. I will not be down there this year and am wondering if there is usually a published online opening time or if it just depends on how many people are on site the day after? Trying to plan my morning for that Sunday. After last years 16 minutes of being open, I don't want to miss it year.

Chris

Online registration will begin at 12 pm cst on Sunday

2012-10-18 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4457790

Socks - 2012-10-17 1:16 PM
JHag - 2012-10-17 12:38 PM
Socks - 2012-10-17 12:56 PM
JHag - 2012-10-17 11:49 AM

Socks - 2012-10-17 12:13 PM

I am feeling very guilty needing my coach right now. 

Feel free to message me with questions or to talk if you want.  I'd be happy to help give you some guidance (no charge) to supplement your current coach.  You already know this thread is a safe place to ask questions too, I understand how you feel about wanting your coach but at the same time you consider his situation.

thanks.  mostly I am just apprehensive about this organized century this weekend and if I should do it or not.  I just moved here from a very remote place with no races or rides of any sort and when we talked about it and I signed up it seemed a good idea.  Catered ride and the opportunity to meet some people etc.  Now with the race 17 days away and having had a sketchy ride last week with bad weather and traffic I am unsure if its a good idea.  I dont' want to wreck, get hit by a car, or get caught in bad weather in an area I am unfamiliar with.  the rest of it I am good with.  Its my 7th IM so I got the nutrition thing etc down. 

With 7 IM's in the past I assume that you're mentally prepared for this race.

What are your goals, how have your past IM rides been and how about your IM runs?    I won't jump into a lot of crazy questions with you but I think I would do the ride.  Given your concerns you could ride easy and focus on meeting people.  Have fun with it.  You could avoid thinking of this as your last big training ride and simply enjoy the day.  Keep your cadence high but your HR or Watts low - Zone1-2 -- if you feel good/confident at the 75 mile mark then maybe jump up to a race pace or race effort for 20 miles. 

You can certainly 'call the audible' on ride morning and go with your gut feeling.  Stick with a group of people who seem to have a similar base as you and ride to the right.

I wish you the best and I'd be happy to talk anytime.

thanks.  Mentally I am there.  I dont' really have any goals this year except to do my best and finish.  Its been a bad year on a lot of levels.  I will finish but it most likely will not be a PR.  Training just wan't there due to a constellation of things.   I admit to being over the long stuff.  Some of this is that I  just want to get the bloody ride done and be over with it.  Another 100 miler to get done sucking up the whole day.  Doing the century I will be getting started later than I would on my own with a much longer drive home I am just not seeing a fun angle to it right now. 

The other day you told me it sounded like I needed to rest, you were right, I have, my head is straighter, and I'm back on the upswing.  It sounds like you need to rest too. 

You said you are over the long stuff, would rather not sit on the bike for 6+ hrs. again until the race, etc.  So there is your answer, right? 

If you want to meet people then maybe find an upcoming 5K to volunteer at or something, know what I mean?

2012-10-18 6:02 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Finally got to talk with my coach.  Poor guy.  Baby has been in the hospital with low blood counts and needed several transfusions of red cells and platelets and was third spacing fluids but seems to be on the upswing now and is doing better thank God. 

Century is out.  I just think the risks oueigh the benefits and it will take me sevral hours longer overall to get the ride done than if I knock it out on my own.  I am releived.

2012-10-18 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
man, my workouts make me look like i'm doing nothing in comparison to you guys.. also doesn't help that both of my kids have gotten sick over the past couple of weeks and decided to share with me.. struggle to either not work out (or workout lightly) and not exhaust myself which would prolong the recovery or just go at it and see what happens.. need to tell myself that my training has gotten me here and i'll be good to go.. should be back on the horse this weekend.. I hope.. 5 hour ride and 2.5 hour run upcoming... 1.5 hour swim tomorrow, but will probably just take it easy and knock the yards out..

Edited by dbrawders 2012-10-18 9:20 PM
2012-10-18 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

Has anyone here used Tribike Transport? I drop off my bike tomorrow.   I paid the 35 dollars to drop off a gear bag. Anyone know how big the gear bag can be? I've been going crazy trying to get everything ready to drop off.

Tiana

2012-10-19 8:30 AM

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
I am going to have to stop reading everyone's workout summaries! I rode 20 and ran 11.5 yesterday and have a 3 hour bike and 30 minute run tomorrow, throwing in a 2500 meter swim today just because. Still seems woefully short of the volumes I see posted here!
Trust my training has got to be my motto from here on out.

Dedicating my race to a friend who recently passed. Putting a pic in SN and writing his initials on my arm. He fought a good fight against cancer putting my efforts into perspective.

2 weeks!
2012-10-19 8:54 AM

User image

I am a bit concerned that my training was not enough. I work 14 days on and then 14 days off flying helicopters offshore. When I'm working my day is from 5:30am to 7:30pm. All I can manage is an hour workout at best most day after such a long day. On the other hand, during my 2 weeks off I feel like superman. I just don't know what all this will equate to on race day. But, God willing I will cross that finishline even if I have to crawl 26.2 miles Good luck all!
2012-10-19 8:55 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Folks that are more familiar with the Gulf, what will a East wind be like as far as the surf/chop is concerned.

2012-10-19 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4459331

User image

New user
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-18 1:04 PM

I wouldn't do an Ironman if I had to swim that much in training?  How many yards is that breaking down to a week, 12,000?  What do you expect ti swim at IMFLA?

The 3 a week 1.5 hr swim totals about 3500 yards each so its 10,500 per week.  I am a weak swimmer to begin with so I'm just praying to make the swim cutoff.  The variables here are current, people, sighting, nerves, lack of sleep (happens before every race)  etc....

2012-10-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4460391

User image

New user

Cary, NC

Funny - I feel the same way.  I have done my long run of 20 and my 3 100's bike per plan but still read the totals and think - oh my gosh - I'm not doing enough.  Supposed to do a 3.5 bike Sat and 2 hour run Sunday but plan to combine tomorrow to get one more long brick in. May try to up my calories a little since the calories on here seem much higher than what I am doing.  I'm little- 5 1 and 112 pounds but spouse is always fussing i need to to up it a bit - could it be he's right ( hate to think that

I eat a powerbar and instant breakfast right before bed and have found a huge benefit in drinking 48 oz of restore the day before a long to amp up my sodium/electrolytes.  Race morning I try to nibble at bagel,cliff bar, banana and another instant breakfast - but my stomach is usually a bit tight.  May try a gel before my next swim as saw some posts about that - I have done chomps and feel they also keep my mouth from getting as dry in the salt water.

on bike - cut up bar, baggies of chomps and power Bar cola energy blasts ( who knew they would be so yummy and coke would taste so good a little at a time ?) trained with perform powder and am one of the few who really like it the taste.

Just nervous now about the water and hoping for relatively calm.  Went to Atlantic beach 2 weekends ago and did a short out and back 3 times through the surf. Short simple because i was by myself with spouse in a kayak incase jaws came by  Amazingly the evening swim had some waves and I was nervous but if you just relax and swim through the swells it wasn't so bad ( now I just have to keep reminding myself that)

loving taper - though its making me doubt everything, if i don't do something for one day and see someone out riding or running - I think - I gotta get out there!

I am using the extra time to try and organize and begin packing.  We had the brilliant idea of combining one week in PCB followed by our very first Disney trip.  Holy cow what was I thinking??!  that trip is requiring alot of organization and planning but the kids are excited and it will be awesome to be away for 2 whole weeks.

? i've heard people say they swim with water?  How exactly do you do this?  I get dry and was thinking of taking a gu flask and stashing it in my wetsuit somewhere.  Any better suggestions?

2012-10-19 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4460703

Don't worry about missing the swim. I guarantee you that you will finisht the swim well before the cutoff. Doing that much work in the pool, it will pay off in FL. With a wetsuit, being in salty water and the draft of people with you, you could draft literally the entire time around people your own speed and you will fly right through it. And dont compare your pool times to race times. In pools you have to stop and turn around a ton. If you were swimming 2.4 miles in the pool those stops would add up a ton of time. Just go out there, be positive, and keep reminding yourself while you are swimming that you are competing in an Ironman. How awesome is that!
2012-10-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4460719

User image

Expert
sportkid - 2012-10-19 11:17 AM

? i've heard people say they swim with water?  How exactly do you do this?  I get dry and was thinking of taking a gu flask and stashing it in my wetsuit somewhere.  Any better suggestions?

I've never heard of anyone drinking during the swim.  I guess it's doable.  Once you get out to make the second loop they have water.   I never drink while at the pool because I know I can't drink in the race.  Practice how you race they say right?  Many of my teammates drink a lot while swimming.  Never understood that.  I do keep a small bottle of water in my T1 bag. 

enjoy

Duane

PS - Disney will be a blast, especailly AFTER the race!

2012-10-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4460450

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

A northwest wind is probably the best wind.

Now, the current and wind do not always move the same direction, but it's a safe best that they will.  So, wind out of east could mean we would swim against the current on the back half of the course. 

2012-10-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4460804

LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-19 12:22 PM

A northwest wind is probably the best wind.

If I could choose, I would take northeast, so we have al the way back (20-79) with tail wind.(well, I would choose no wind at all, but if you consider early winds are lighter than later, way out would be head wind with fresh legs and lighter winds, way back stronger tailwind that would help those tired legs)

Anyway, not something we can decide so we better prepare for any conditions...

2012-10-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4460719

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
sportkid - 2012-10-19 12:17 PM

Funny - I feel the same way.  I have done my long run of 20 and my 3 100's bike per plan but still read the totals and think - oh my gosh - I'm not doing enough.  Supposed to do a 3.5 bike Sat and 2 hour run Sunday but plan to combine tomorrow to get one more long brick in. May try to up my calories a little since the calories on here seem much higher than what I am doing.  I'm little- 5 1 and 112 pounds but spouse is always fussing i need to to up it a bit - could it be he's right ( hate to think that

I eat a powerbar and instant breakfast right before bed and have found a huge benefit in drinking 48 oz of restore the day before a long to amp up my sodium/electrolytes.  Race morning I try to nibble at bagel,cliff bar, banana and another instant breakfast - but my stomach is usually a bit tight.  May try a gel before my next swim as saw some posts about that - I have done chomps and feel they also keep my mouth from getting as dry in the salt water.

on bike - cut up bar, baggies of chomps and power Bar cola energy blasts ( who knew they would be so yummy and coke would taste so good a little at a time ?) trained with perform powder and am one of the few who really like it the taste.

Just nervous now about the water and hoping for relatively calm.  Went to Atlantic beach 2 weekends ago and did a short out and back 3 times through the surf. Short simple because i was by myself with spouse in a kayak incase jaws came by  Amazingly the evening swim had some waves and I was nervous but if you just relax and swim through the swells it wasn't so bad ( now I just have to keep reminding myself that)

loving taper - though its making me doubt everything, if i don't do something for one day and see someone out riding or running - I think - I gotta get out there!

I am using the extra time to try and organize and begin packing.  We had the brilliant idea of combining one week in PCB followed by our very first Disney trip.  Holy cow what was I thinking??!  that trip is requiring alot of organization and planning but the kids are excited and it will be awesome to be away for 2 whole weeks.

If the goal is to finish, I think people over estimate the volume of training required.  As my husband loves to point out, he finished IMFL im 15:30 last year on about 5-7 hours of training per week (pretty much just Saturday and Sunday).  

2012-10-19 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4461034

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
kaburns1214 - 2012-10-19 2:31 PM
sportkid - 2012-10-19 12:17 PM

If the goal is to finish, I think people over estimate the volume of training required.  As my husband loves to point out, he finished IMFL im 15:30 last year on about 5-7 hours of training per week (pretty much just Saturday and Sunday).  

Taper makes everyone doubt things.  Especially your training to date.  Trust your plan.  And as kaburns said, lots of people finish with minimal training.  Some just train the bike and swim then plan to walk the marathon.  It's pretty much too late to change your fitness. The best you can do now is taper well.  Prepare yourself mentally, and trust that it will work out well.

2012-10-19 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4461034

Veteran
Curious what everyone's weekend looks like. I followed the Fink Competetive plan and the weekend looks like this-
Sat - 4hr bike and 30min run (around 80mi and 4mi)
Sun- 2hr run (around 14mi)
I have picked up the intensity this week, I know I should trust the plan but it seems like a lot.

I was thinking maybe only doing 3 hrs on the bike, I have gotten in 5@80 or more, 4@105 and 2@115
All bricked and done well above race pace (around 20-25 watts more)

And also do you have to wear your bib# on the bike?

Edited by Rover24 2012-10-19 7:27 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64