BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
GOOD deep thoughts, Jayne!  Training with friends is wonderful! Sometimes they push you, sometimes you push them - but it's always more fun.  I wouldn't do it for all of my workouts, but I do love it when it works.

2012-01-20 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4002385

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

jfought - 2012-01-20 5:04 PM  I know I will continue to push myself this year, but it's going to be a lot more fun and a little less suffering Wink

I Love the fun part, but I think the rest of your sentence contradicts itself.  Laughing  

2012-01-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4000306

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

kkcbelle - 2012-01-19 2:29 PM Chet -- do you run there?? Gorgeous! Looks like it would be very hot in the summer! Thanks for posting. I love to see people's hangouts!!

I do run up there sometimes but not in the summer.  They have night runs then that I might try this year.

2012-01-21 1:55 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great wheels Doug and the saddle too!

I did another Sufferfest trainer ride last night and didn't suffer quite as much as the first time. I even managed a little run off the bike to cool down.

I'm not quite sure whether my trainer is set up right, I had the resistance on the mid-setting and the rear wheel slightly depressed by the trainer. I pushed as hard as I could but didn't shake all over after like last time; do you think I need to do something to make it harder or stick with the current setup???

2012-01-21 6:06 AM
in reply to: #4002565

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
badgerintx - 2012-01-20 8:41 PM

jfought - 2012-01-20 5:04 PM  I know I will continue to push myself this year, but it's going to be a lot more fun and a little less suffering Wink

I Love the fun part, but I think the rest of your sentence contradicts itself.  Laughing  

Thanks for fixing that for me Dino!

2012-01-21 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Guess who's stuck in Jackson MS? Apparently radar is down in TX?!?!

2012-01-21 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

East Coaster Peeps - Is winter FINALLY here??? Chilly and rainy today...

My apologies for it being delayed - I bought a bike trainer this winter so of course we would have decent weather for most of it thus far... 

2012-01-21 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Any suggestions on how/where I should log the run drills I've been doing?? Strength?  Sports? As another run (distance would be difficult to estimate)??  Here's some of the things I'm doing:

Ankle Jumps

Hip Stabilizers

High Knees

Butt Kicks

Dynamic Skipping

Sprints

Hill Repeats

2012-01-21 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4003502

User image

Master
jfought - 2012-01-21 2:17 PM

Any suggestions on how/where I should log the run drills I've been doing?? Strength?  Sports? As another run (distance would be difficult to estimate)??  Here's some of the things I'm doing:

Ankle Jumps

Hip Stabilizers

High Knees

Butt Kicks

Dynamic Skipping

Sprints

Hill Repeats

It's your log, so it's up to you!! I log 'em as sports/running drills when I do 'em. And then if I want to add comments about what they are, then I just add that in comments.

Bummer you're stuck, Suzy... you'll get there!! I'm not going to feel too bad for you... sorry!

2012-01-21 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4003119

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2012-01-21 9:49 AMGuess who's stuck in Jackson MS? Apparently radar is down in TX?!?!
Gary burghoff is in texas.....sweet!! Say hi.Grab a smoothie, and you'll be in the air in no time
2012-01-21 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jfought - 2012-01-21 7:17 PM

Ankle Jumps

Hip Stabilizers

High Knees

Butt Kicks

Dynamic Skipping

Sprints

Hill Repeats

if you just want to log time, put it under a sports category - you can create your own if you want.  If you want to log reps and sets, create a template under strength.  You can create your own "custom exercises" if you want.  They will show reps and weight - just don't fill in the weight when you're logging.   I've created custom exercises and made a template of them....and never gotten around to doing core workEmbarassed.  Maybe soon.

2012-01-21 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
jfought - 2012-01-21 4:17 PM

Ankle Jumps

Hip Stabilizers

High Knees

Butt Kicks

Dynamic Skipping

Sprints

Hill Repeats

I log all my drills under my run.  Makes the pace look like crap, but that's where the work is done. 

2012-01-22 4:21 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Anyone want to answer my trainer question???
2012-01-22 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4004046

User image

Champion

copa2251 - 2012-01-22 4:21 AM Anyone want to answer my trainer question???

Did you fill your tires before that second ride?  On the CT you calibrate and can tell if you have too much or too little pressure.  YOu don't want so much tension that it is difficult to spin that wheel.  I left change in gearing do that. 

2012-01-22 6:47 AM

User image

Champion

So far, so good in Mexico!  I am not sure 2 margaritas and chips and salsa are the greatest dinner before my long run, but we'll see!

I did meet an interesting person at Happy Hour last night.  He just left the NIH and I of course was pumping him about food quality in the US.  I asked him if he would eat imported fruit from Mexico or Chile (I always have heard it is a big no no) and he said ABOLUTELY NOT due to their water sources and baceteria levels.  Best fruit comes from the US, Spain and other European countries AND New Zealand (which apparently has stricter standards than the US).  I share this only because so many of us are forced to eat imported fruit this time of year.  I was buying Costco Blueberries, Blackberries, etc, all from Mexico.  No more.  His advice was get frozen if you couldn't get fresh from the preferred countries.  I even asked him if it wasn't better to be eating this "bad" fruit than no fruit at all.  His answer, nope.  So my tip of the day!

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-01-22 6:48 AM
2012-01-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4002804

User image

Elite
san francisco
copa2251 - 2012-01-20 11:55 PM

Great wheels Doug and the saddle too!

I did another Sufferfest trainer ride last night and didn't suffer quite as much as the first time. I even managed a little run off the bike to cool down.

I'm not quite sure whether my trainer is set up right, I had the resistance on the mid-setting and the rear wheel slightly depressed by the trainer. I pushed as hard as I could but didn't shake all over after like last time; do you think I need to do something to make it harder or stick with the current setup???

David, assuming everything is set up the same, go with it....shaking all over, puking, etc, is overrated...my theory is that we do hard workouts so they aren't as hard the next time. Do you train by heart rate? If so, just see if you get to the same zone...you are probably getting stronger.

2012-01-22 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4004095

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2012-01-22 4:47 AM

So far, so good in Mexico!  I am not sure 2 margaritas and chips and salsa are the greatest dinner before my long run, but we'll see!

I did meet an interesting person at Happy Hour last night.  He just left the NIH and I of course was pumping him about food quality in the US.  I asked him if he would eat imported fruit from Mexico or Chile (I always have heard it is a big no no) and he said ABOLUTELY NOT due to their water sources and baceteria levels.  Best fruit comes from the US, Spain and other European countries AND New Zealand (which apparently has stricter standards than the US).  I share this only because so many of us are forced to eat imported fruit this time of year.  I was buying Costco Blueberries, Blackberries, etc, all from Mexico.  No more.  His advice was get frozen if you couldn't get fresh from the preferred countries.  I even asked him if it wasn't better to be eating this "bad" fruit than no fruit at all.  His answer, nope.  So my tip of the day!

I'd better check where my Craisins are coming from! Been eating plenty of them. Hope your run went well and thanks for the tip...we try to do farmers market to keep it local...but this time of year can be tough, frozen is a good tip for berries!
2012-01-22 10:26 AM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2012-01-22 4:47 AM

I try never to buy anything that comes from farther away than CA, with the exception of avocados and bananas. But since both of those have a thick skin (ha) I feel they are OK to eat. Every fall/winter my kids start really going crazy wanting their little clementine tangerines, but I tell 'em that nope, not until they're from CA!! In the winter my fruit sources are mostly frozen (smoothies), and I eat lots of apples, pears, and citrus. Never fresh berries. Good to know that I'm doing OK by this NIH guy, ha! Thanks for sharing, Suzy! I would have loved to have been there with you -- for the chips/salsa/margies AND the conversation!!

2012-01-22 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
SSMinnow - 2012-01-22 7:47 AM

Very interesting! I buy Chilean grapes a lot in the winter months. I need to just stick to bananas and frozen or canned fruit till spring.

I'd love to do a long run there in the heat with you Suzy : ) Snow and ice here.

2012-01-22 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
So I installed a Cobb Flow Max saddle on my road bike and road my CT this AM. It felt pretty good. I think I need to adjust the front angle down a little. Overall I liked it. I have ridden hard unforgiving saddle all my life so adapting to this was not difficult. If I like it over time I will try one on my triathlon bike.
2012-01-22 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4004361

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

DougRob - 2012-01-22 12:01 PM So I installed a Cobb Flow Max saddle on my road bike and road my CT this AM. It felt pretty good. I think I need to adjust the front angle down a little. Overall I liked it. I have ridden hard unforgiving saddle all my life so adapting to this was not difficult. If I like it over time I will try one on my triathlon bike.

Glad to hear that seat is working out... I really need something different as well... been looking at either the same Cobb or an ISM Adamo.
Keep us posted! Thanks guinea pig... Wink

2012-01-22 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

replying in general, not just to suzy. and i fully support local farmers whenever i can.  that said,

i don't agree with your friend and i think its unfortunate you feel the way you do about fruit from mexico.  eating fruit from a local vendor and eating fruit grown in mexico for sale in the US are not even remotely the similar source.  

driscolls, hurts, sun belle, etc have sanitary standards in the field that far exceed the local farms.  the economic gains far exceed the cost of sanitary standards, places like costco wouldn't take the risk if not. 

pesticides, a whole different issue.

as far as comments on only eating fruit from certain states... if we're talking about supporting regional farmers then i totally support that. (although seattle to so cal is kind of stretching the whole regionality thing).  however, if the comments are directed from a food safety angle then i disagree and in fact you may be at an even higher risk because of this feeling of "safety".  its amost even funny, to say one won't eat fruit from mexico but will it fruit picked by migrant workers.... from mexico.  ecoli is a risk.  fruit from everywhere, even the good ol' USA! should be washed thoroughly.

gotta ask ... if you don't eat fruit from mexico, do you wear clothing or accessories from mexican maquiladoras? 

*** POST EDITED BELOW***

Edited by fattyfatfat 2012-01-22 12:57 PM
2012-01-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4004387

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-22 9:30 AM

replying in general, not just to suzy. and i fully support local farmers whenever i can.  that said,

i don't agree with your friend and i think its unfortunate you feel the way you do about fruit from mexico.  eating fruit from a local vendor and eating fruit grown in mexico for sale in the US are not even remotely the similar source.  

driscolls, hurts, sun belle, etc have sanitary standards in the field that far exceed the local farms.  the economic gains far exceed the cost of sanitary standards, places like costco wouldn't take the risk if not. 

as far as comments on only eating fruit from certain states... if we're talking about supporting regional farmers then i totally support that. (although seattle to so cal is kind of stretching the whole regionality thing).  however, if the comments are directed from a food safety angle then i disagree and in fact you may be at an even higher risk because of this feeling of "safety".  its amost even funny, to say one won't eat fruit from mexico but will it fruit picked by migrant workers.... from mexico.  ecoli is a risk.  fruit from everywhere, even the good ol' USA! should be washed thoroughly.

gotta ask ... if you don't eat fruit from mexico, do you wear clothing or accessories from mexican maquiladoras? 

My choices stem mostly from trying to eat more locally. And yes, I know so-cal is far from local... but I'm also not going to cut citrus and bananas out of my diet, and I sure as heck am not gonna find any tangerines grown in WA!! I don't feel "unsafe" eating foods from Mexico, heck one of the biggest e-coli breakouts was spinach grown in NorCal!! I think US foods have a long way to go in terms of safety as well! I've struggled with outsourcing fruits/veggies from outside of my region, and I've made peace for myself in that I don't buy apples from New Zealand in the summer or strawberries from Mexico in the winter. I support our local farmers as much as possible (that's why I eat turnips, parsnips, and kale, for heaven's sake!!). I eat exclusively organic for fruits and veggies that "matter" (check out the dirty dozen and clean 15 list).

I'm kind-of a food freak, and I take a lot of $#!# for it... but I make choices that feel good for me and that I can feel good about when I'm feeding my family. I try to practice what I preach. That said, I also preach balance and moderation. I cringe when my kids want fast food, but I let 'em eat it. They're kids. I ate it when I was a kid, and I'm OK. And yeah, I admit that I steal their fries!!!

2012-01-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4004437

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2012-01-22 1:17 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-22 9:30 AM

My choices stem mostly from trying to eat more locally. And yes, I know so-cal is far from local... but I'm also not going to cut citrus and bananas out of my diet, and I sure as heck am not gonna find any tangerines grown in WA!! I don't feel "unsafe" eating foods from Mexico, heck one of the biggest e-coli breakouts was spinach grown in NorCal!! I think US foods have a long way to go in terms of safety as well! I've struggled with outsourcing fruits/veggies from outside of my region, and I've made peace for myself in that I don't buy apples from New Zealand in the summer or strawberries from Mexico in the winter. I support our local farmers as much as possible (that's why I eat turnips, parsnips, and kale, for heaven's sake!!). I eat exclusively organic for fruits and veggies that "matter" (check out the dirty dozen and clean 15 list).

I'm kind-of a food freak, and I take a lot of $#!# for it... but I make choices that feel good for me and that I can feel good about when I'm feeding my family. I try to practice what I preach. That said, I also preach balance and moderation. I cringe when my kids want fast food, but I let 'em eat it. They're kids. I ate it when I was a kid, and I'm OK. And yeah, I admit that I steal their fries!!!

i figured that's what you meant... but couldn't resist taking a shot at the left coast.

good post... and as you know the kids just crushed a bunch of slackers kale chips. 

2012-01-22 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4004387

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-22 12:30 PM

i don't agree with your friend and i think its unfortunate you feel the way you do about fruit from mexico.  eating fruit from a local vendor in mexico and eating fruit grown in mexico for sale in the US are not even remotely the similar source.  

driscolls, hurts, sun belle, etc have sanitary standards in the field that far exceed the local mexican farms.  the economic gains far exceed the cost of sanitary standards, places like costco wouldn't take the risk if not. 

editing my post here because i think i may have not been clear so i added the bolded words.

anyways... off to eat some blueberries from argentina.  but i bought them at whole foods so they must be acceptable... right. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117