BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by ccmpsydMichele,As a complete newb, I gotta say that I am proud of you too. I initially hesitated to say that because I know that if someone feels differently, those words may ring hollow. But as I prepare for my first 70.3 in my very first season, I find inspiration in hearing from those (you) who tackle those initial barriers. The fact that you did it, is, in and of itself, a very awesome thing. The mixed emotions that you have experienced, I struggle with too. I try to remind myself daily to be proud of accomplishing a goal and doing something scary vs reaching a hoped for time. Even though I did fairly well in my last (and 2nd race) and was pleased and proud...I have moments of....geeze I wish I had done a bit faster on the bike...I still kinda suck at swimming how can I make 1.2 miles. All this to say, which may have been lost, is that you did it and that is really awesome and I (again) am very very happy for you.
Michele, as another newb, I second what Chris and the others have said. I understand your frustration about not having the absolute perfect race, but that feeling is actually a good thing, since it drives you to excel. Because of that feeling, you'll put in the work, fix the things that didn't go as you'd hoped, and do better next time. After all, unless we're actually going to win one of these things (and I'm certainly not anytime soon), this is about the journey, isn't it? Congrats on this one, and know there are even better things ahead!

2013-06-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Kuma

Originally posted by ccmpsydMichele,As a complete newb, I gotta say that I am proud of you too. I initially hesitated to say that because I know that if someone feels differently, those words may ring hollow.

I don't think I've ever heard a racer say they ran the perfect race no matter the experience level. I know I haven't even come close. Every race I can say went too hard on the swim, not enough liquids, started the run too fast, fumbled in transition, couldn't get the wetsuit off quickly..............I can however say my mistakes are less and my fitness is greater so I keep improving. I totally agree with you that it rings so hollow to us as individuals until we take a step back and look at it clearly. I think Michelle will look at this shortly as a great learning experience and improve because of it.

Michelle feel free to quote this post and make me eat these words late afternoon June 23rd when I'm a lamenting about why I didn't meet my expectation.
2013-06-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Had to stay late at work tonight so missed my TT. However, I have hill repeats at 5:30 tomorrow am.

Although I'm starting to feel a little more positive about IMLP, I'm exhausted ALL the time, even on my 'off' days. Is this normal? I fell asleep at work for 1.5 hours today and an hour yesterday.

Kelly, did you do your 45 min ride today, how was the leg?

I think the fatigue is normal. I'm 9 1/2 weeks away from IMMT, and I'm tired. I still have enough in me to get me through August, but once my race is over you'll have to stick a fork in me. I'm pretty much on the go with my kids all day long and that doesn't help. I'm a bottomless pit of hunger too. I feed every 2 hours.

How many week until IMLP?
2013-06-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kidtri33

Oops wrong link Corrected

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Sweet bike split, Larkin!
2013-06-12 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 Had to stay late at work tonight so missed my TT. However, I have hill repeats at 5:30 tomorrow am. Although I'm starting to feel a little more positive about IMLP, I'm exhausted ALL the time, even on my 'off' days. Is this normal? I fell asleep at work for 1.5 hours today and an hour yesterday. Kelly, did you do your 45 min ride today, how was the leg?

Yep.  Very normal.  Make sure you're eating enough and sleeping enough.  The latter is sometimes an issue for me.  I was pretty much a zombie during my peak weeks towards the end.

2013-06-12 10:42 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

Oops wrong link Corrected

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Thanks Jen! Coach noticed it was an issue last year and the focus on it this year is paying off.

Now....I am hoping after REV3 to hear "Nice swim spit" haha! Temps are rising in the James so looks like so wetsuit. May have to look into a speedsuit instead.

B-Scott what are you plans if it isn't wetsuit legal?

2013-06-12 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
So speaking of bikes I need to get in a 1:30 ride tonight. Slept in today :/ just to long to get it in before going to see my BIL who came back from Afghanistan today. Very happy he is back and his next "deployment" is actually local.
2013-06-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I don't think I've ever heard a racer say they ran the perfect race no matter the experience level. I know I haven't even come close. Every race I can say went too hard on the swim, not enough liquids, started the run too fast, fumbled in transition, couldn't get the wetsuit off quickly..............I can however say my mistakes are less and my fitness is greater so I keep improving. I totally agree with you that it rings so hollow to us as individuals until we take a step back and look at it clearly. I think Michelle will look at this shortly as a great learning experience and improve because of it.

This is dead on correct!
2013-06-12 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Kelly, did you do your 45 min ride today, how was the leg?

I biked, in the rain, rode over a nail, had a flat tire AND no hanstring pain. Hooray!

Swam an easy 1600 today and other than feeling rusty it was good!

This week is about super easy and making sure the hamstring is good. Next week training begins again. The big goal is IMFL so IMMT will be done as a long training day on base only.
2013-06-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Great new Kelly! Glad to hear you are feeling better and the signs so far are good!
2013-06-12 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kidtri33 So speaking of bikes I need to get in a 1:30 ride tonight. Slept in today :/ just to long to get it in before going to see my BIL who came back from Afghanistan today. Very happy he is back and his next "deployment" is actually local.

I slept in too.  Made the decision as I was watching soccer and Quinn was staring back at me.  Ugh.

1:10 of low cadence intervals on tap for lunch.

2013-06-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kidtri33 So speaking of bikes I need to get in a 1:30 ride tonight. Slept in today :/ just to long to get it in before going to see my BIL who came back from Afghanistan today. Very happy he is back and his next "deployment" is actually local.

I slept in too.  Made the decision as I was watching soccer and Quinn was staring back at me.  Ugh.

1:10 of low cadence intervals on tap for lunch.

Funny, I was watching the soccer game as well...then Grayer had a night scare and I had to sooth the poor guy. These night scares are weird. Once he "wakes up" he is fine and then just lays back down and falls back to sleep.
2013-06-12 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
B-Scott what are you plans if it isn't wetsuit legal?

I'll just swim it in my tri suit. It will really hurt my swim time if that's the case though. The wetsuit fixes so many of my flaws. I probably will go from 1:45/100 to 2:00/100 which is roughly 36:20 to 38 flat. 1:40 in the big picture isn't a big deal and it will hurt other people worse than myself.
2013-06-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Veteran
So I just started a new block of training. I am already looking forward to the recovery week. On the brighter side, I had to do mile repeats this morning. My mile pace dropped approximately 30 seconds (even running on heavy legs) when compared to four months or so ago. I am not sure I have ever run a sustained pace this fast - even while playing lacrosse in college. Gotta be the shoes.
2013-06-12 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

So I just started a new block of training. I am already looking forward to the recovery week. On the brighter side, I had to do mile repeats this morning. My mile pace dropped approximately 30 seconds (even running on heavy legs) when compared to four months or so ago. I am not sure I have ever run a sustained pace this fast - even while playing lacrosse in college. Gotta be the shoes.

Perhaps its the athlete and not the shoes.
2013-06-12 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Haha Chris I think it just 'might' be the athlete IN the shoes. (if not, can I borrow your shoes?! )

I have 45 days till LP. Sleep is high on my list. I'm constantly asking hubby if we can go to bed at 8pm, and keep trying to sneak in naps at work. I'm like a walking, zombified food pit. My memory is almost non existent and I have to write everything down or it's gone from my brain as soon as it goes in. The only down side to being a food pit is all the weight I've gained in the process :-(

2013-06-12 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all -

I'm back from vacation (although leaving again for a short weekend trip)...trying to catch up on all the good stuff that happened while I was away. (Nice race reports, guys!)

For those of you coming down for REV3 Williamsburg, post up your bib numbers after you get them -- I'll be there cheering for hubby and would love to shake a cowbell for you too.

(I had cutesy shirts made for me and my daughters to wear while cheering - grey with "Team Osenga" and swimmer/biker/runner logos in blue underneath. I'll also be one of the loud ones. )

Anxious to get back to training - I came back to a fall-back week between the two build phases, which I guess is good to get me back in the groove. I'm still having trouble with the swim - and with the stupid weather we've been having here (even if I was in town), all the OWS have been cancelled due to river levels.

Will try to catch up and say more later.
2013-06-12 1:21 PM

User image

Regular

Swam a 2400m "anaerobic endurance" workout this morning at Masters, and I'm wiped out.  It's mainly from running a sleep deficit this week (those real-life issues again), but also from how difficult a workout it was.  I'm going to go home tonight and collapse. 

By the way, I think we should have t-shirts made up that say "Zombified Food Pit" on them...

2013-06-12 1:32 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by kidtri33 Oops wrong link Corrected http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thanks Jen! Coach noticed it was an issue last year and the focus on it this year is paying off. Now....I am hoping after REV3 to hear "Nice swim spit" haha! Temps are rising in the James so looks like so wetsuit. May have to look into a speedsuit instead. B-Scott what are you plans if it isn't wetsuit legal?

Great report, Larkin.  Congrats!  For what it's worth, the same thing happened to me on the swim during my first time with the wetsuit - I couldn't swim very far before getting winded and having to switch over to breast stroke to catch my breath.  I don't know if it's universal or just me, but this was less of a problem during my second race two weeks later. 

I also wondered if it's because I didn't do flip turns in the pool during training - allowing me to catch my breath at the end of each length.  I got the coach to teach me how to do a flip turn, and am now working on that, including training myself to be more efficient with my breathing.  We'll see if this helps...

2013-06-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by Kuma

Originally posted by kidtri33 Oops wrong link Corrected http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thanks Jen! Coach noticed it was an issue last year and the focus on it this year is paying off. Now....I am hoping after REV3 to hear "Nice swim spit" haha! Temps are rising in the James so looks like so wetsuit. May have to look into a speedsuit instead. B-Scott what are you plans if it isn't wetsuit legal?

Great report, Larkin.  Congrats!  For what it's worth, the same thing happened to me on the swim during my first time with the wetsuit - I couldn't swim very far before getting winded and having to switch over to breast stroke to catch my breath.  I don't know if it's universal or just me, but this was less of a problem during my second race two weeks later. 

I also wondered if it's because I didn't do flip turns in the pool during training - allowing me to catch my breath at the end of each length.  I got the coach to teach me how to do a flip turn, and am now working on that, including training myself to be more efficient with my breathing.  We'll see if this helps...

If you are getting winded I find breath work sets to be useful --

1 x 50 - breath every 2 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 3 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 4 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 5 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 6 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 7 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 6 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 5 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 4 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 3 strokes
1 x 50 - breath every 2 strokes

Repeat. 50s should be done at an aerobic pace.
2013-06-12 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Haha Chris I think it just 'might' be the athlete IN the shoes. (if not, can I borrow your shoes?! )

I have 45 days till LP. Sleep is high on my list. I'm constantly asking hubby if we can go to bed at 8pm, and keep trying to sneak in naps at work. I'm like a walking, zombified food pit. My memory is almost non existent and I have to write everything down or it's gone from my brain as soon as it goes in. The only down side to being a food pit is all the weight I've gained in the process :-(

I worry about you not recovering. While IM training does require a certain amount of volume, volume (and intensity) you can't recover from hurts you, rather than helping you.

Sleep, massage, ice baths, foam rolling, compression, gentle yoga -- these are all good things.

2013-06-12 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Larkin,

Finally got a chance to read your race report. Awesome job on the bike and run! try not to sweat the swim too much....first time out in a new wet suit...that is rented, coupled with a strong current...no big deal - especially since it sounds like you found your groove on the way in. I really liked reading your perspective on the race too.
2013-06-12 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone so much for your kind words and advice!!! I feel much better today. I went to work and they had cupcakes to celebrate my victory! No one asked what my time was, they were just impressed with the fact that I finished 70.3 miles. It made me feel good - there is no one in my circle of friends that do any length triathlon so they saw this as nothing short of awesome.

Everyone's words here were so meaningful and I appreciate all of them. I am much much better today and ready to start looking up my next 70.3. One of my friends really put it in perspective for me when she reminded me that 3 years ago I was undergoing radiation for my cancer and that I am so lucky to be alive, living each day to the fullest and to be able to do triathlon! Bam! I felt guilty for even being upset with myself.

Anyway, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PAST, PRESENT, and CONTINUED SUPPORT!!!!
2013-06-12 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Perhaps its the athlete and not the shoes.

Ummmm... Chris, not thinking its just the shoes either.
2013-06-12 3:57 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Hey, all -

I'm back from vacation (although leaving again for a short weekend trip)...trying to catch up on all the good stuff that happened while I was away. (Nice race reports, guys!)

For those of you coming down for REV3 Williamsburg, post up your bib numbers after you get them -- I'll be there cheering for hubby and would love to shake a cowbell for you too.

(I had cutesy shirts made for me and my daughters to wear while cheering - grey with "Team Osenga" and swimmer/biker/runner logos in blue underneath. I'll also be one of the loud ones. )

Anxious to get back to training - I came back to a fall-back week between the two build phases, which I guess is good to get me back in the groove. I'm still having trouble with the swim - and with the stupid weather we've been having here (even if I was in town), all the OWS have been cancelled due to river levels.

Will try to catch up and say more later.

Welcome back Kristen! I hope Disney was fun!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86