BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED

Chris-Holy Crap! That had to be scary. Not sure I would have tried to get a workout in after that....maybe it helped ease the stress of the day. Glad you are OK and able to resume without restriction.

2014-03-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Suzy - They didn't really say exactly. Said it can happen for people with reflux, which I don't deal with, maybe an allergic reaction to something, or even something as simple as there was literally some food stuck in there that caused it.

Randy - It was terrifying. It literally felt like there was someone standing on my chest and then everything started going numb. Throw on top that I was in a restaurant with all my 7-8 year old hockey players that I didn't want to freak out and my wife was taking a certification exam and could not be reached by phone...Yeah, it was crazy!
2014-03-02 7:02 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Chris-I'm glad your post ended a lot less frighteningly than it began! That had to be frightening.

I got in a good 50 mile ride today. I rode with a buddy, Randy and Jason you'll remember Nate, and the ride was a little bit of a rude awakening for him! He's definitely been in "off season" mode, mostly doing Cross Fit. Well, he's hurting now! We were pretty similarly matched speed-wise most of last season, but he was feeling it today. He kept mumbling about some A-hole who had been doing Sufferfests over the winter He'll be back in form in no time, I think.
2014-03-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-I was wondering if you were doing your long ride with Nate today. Glad to hear he is doing "well"

2014-03-02 9:06 PM

User image

New user
Wow Jamie that is a great race! Nice job.

I did a 20 mile run today, first ever. It went really well. I did a few of the things some of you suggested for soreness. I took Advil before and after. I stretched after, drank choc milk and have worn compression tights the rest of the day. I feel so much better. Thanks for the tips.
2014-03-03 12:22 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by 43YORook

Suzy - They didn't really say exactly. Said it can happen for people with reflux, which I don't deal with, maybe an allergic reaction to something, or even something as simple as there was literally some food stuck in there that caused it.

Randy - It was terrifying. It literally felt like there was someone standing on my chest and then everything started going numb. Throw on top that I was in a restaurant with all my 7-8 year old hockey players that I didn't want to freak out and my wife was taking a certification exam and could not be reached by phone...Yeah, it was crazy!

WOW - that's scary for sure. I hope you are following up with your PCP this week.

We went skiing yesterday. Someone at lunch asked me today "where do you get the energy to go skiing on your only day off?" LOL well I do dread the drive but once I'm there I have a good time and I don't think about it.....until I have to drive home.

Have a good day all!

2014-03-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Chunga Wow Jamie that is a great race! Nice job. I did a 20 mile run today, first ever. It went really well. I did a few of the things some of you suggested for soreness. I took Advil before and after. I stretched after, drank choc milk and have worn compression tights the rest of the day. I feel so much better. Thanks for the tips.

Nice job on the long run!!!  The fact that you felt it went well is awesome.

I am definitely NOT a fan of taking Advil before efforts, including long workouts.  The doctor's can weigh in here, but it can have a negative effect on your kidneys.  Here is a snipit of an article:

Should You Take NSAIDs Before a Marathon or Triathlon?

As mentioned earlier, other studies have been performed on NSAID use before or during exercise.

One study found that taking 400 mg ibuprofen 4 hours before exercise reduced soreness, but didn’t actually prevent muscle cell injury – which is concerning, since this means that the ibuprofen may mask pain, but at the same time, can lead to increased risk of injury as you push through muscle damage. In this study, researchers measured creatine kinase (CK), which is a protein that muscle cells release when they are injured.

Other studies have found that NSAID use during long events, such as a marathon or triathlon, actually decreases kidney function, which can lead to very dangerous issues, including a decreased ability to properly regulate your sodium and electrolyte status and your hydration levels. This becomes especially dangerous in the heat, in which there is already a great amount of stress on the kidneys, and this extra stress may create a high risk of long term kidney damage or kidney failure.

One of most eye-opening studies on ibuprofen use during exercise occurred in research performed during the Western States trail running race, which is a popular and grueling 100 mile race. In this study, runners were split into three groups: a group with no ibuprofen intake, a group taking 600 mg of ibuprofen one day before and on race day, and a group taking 1200 mg of ibuprofen one day before and on race day.

This study found that both of the ibuprofen groups had significantly higher levels of muscle damage, and this effect increased with higher amounts of ibuprofen intake. Ironically, fitness performance, post-workout soreness, and the subjects’ ratings of perceived exertion were not affected by taking ibuprofen – which means that A) ibuprofen did not help at all and B) ibuprofen caused greater inflammation and muscle damage.

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/should-you...

2014-03-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Oh I forgot to add my latest torture device to the list:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004INOO8Y/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_...

My PT calls it PORKY.

Roll on THAT! LOL
2014-03-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recovery week for me, or as I like to call it, "How Normal People Work Out". 

30 minute trainer session with some hard intervals.  That's probably the shortest day I've had besides days off in a long time.

2014-03-03 4:51 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chris

Wow. That was exciting, and not in a good way. I was expecting you to say that you had an allergic reaction. Hope that is your one and only experience with esophageal spasm.
2014-03-03 4:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-I was wondering if you were doing your long ride with Nate today. Glad to hear he is doing "well"

Tell Nate that we all say HI.

2014-03-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by slornow

Tell Nate that we all say HI.

Will do! He's in an interesting predicament. He's signed up for IM Choo, but also has a wedding within two weeks of the race, so his fianceé only signed off if he could train with less time. He's been pretty diligently cross-fit training, but I think he's seeing that it just isn't paying off. This was his first long bike of the year, and he said last night that it's the worst his legs have ever hurt. On top of that, we're signed up for a relay race at the end of this month, and we're both committed to running about 30 miles total in one 24-hour period. I think he's getting a little nervous about that, since he hasn't done a lot more running than he has biking. Luckily, it's still early in the season, so lots of time for a course correction. He's still got the engine; he just needs to get his legs back.

Off to Master's swim class!
2014-03-03 6:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bryan: I'm so glad you and the dog didn't get tangled up. I don't know what I'd do in that situation!

Jamie: Excellent job on the 10K!

Chris: What a frightening experience! Hope that's the last time you experience that.

Mary: Great job on the 20 miler! I'm glad you're feeling better.

It being husband's drill weekend and my volunteer time for the Air Guard Family Readiness Group, I missed a swim session, but on Sunday my training buddies and I got in 18 miles of hill repeats on the bike in the morning, then an easy paced 10 mile run in the evening.

I have the best partners. On these drill weekends when husband isn't home my kids go over to one of their houses to hang out with their husband and children. Their husbands are just amazing for being so kind like that and supportive of our team.

The bike and run both felt great, but I did experience the oddest sensation in my legs when I went to bed. They weren't lactic acid sore, just an on over all icky feeling. They felt kinda hot and tingly and I had to keep rubbing them and extending them to shake the feeling. It was annoying more than anything. Didn't help me get to that recover sleep like I needed to.

Back to another week that I plan to rock! Xterra Guam on the 29th. EEK!

Edited by Blanda 2014-03-03 6:20 PM
2014-03-03 10:06 PM

, Georgia
If I learned anything from that ride Blanda, it's that I don't like Yorkshire Terriers! They're heel biting nitwits.

Anyways. 28 minute trainer ride today; way too rainy and wet to attempt an outdoors ride.

Since tomorrow is clear, I'm gonna take it easy by doing a 1.6 mile walk from my school to the bike shop after my 9:30 class. Gonna see if there's any cycling and/or triathlon shoes on the loose.

Tentative plans are a quasi-day off tomorrow, Run Wednesday, Bike Thursday (indoors...more rain!) another run Friday, and then Saturday is bike day. If I get the shoes, I'm gonna set aside a good thirty minutes doing nothing but working on mechanics with the bike (clipping in/out, simulating stops, signaling, etc). Strava will be roaring away through it for distance purposes, so I'm gonna be doing a lot of recalculating probably....
2014-03-04 6:44 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Happy Mardi Gras ya'll. Off work and avoiding the festivities at all costs. Temps in the 40s with a north breeze so not a great day to be hanging outside watching parades for 10 hours. Most of those attending in Mobile will have plenty of anti freeze in their system to brave the cold.

Heading to the pool near the house for an easy swim then some strange treadmill workout that alternates easy jog with walking @ 10% incline.

Have a good day everyone! 

2014-03-04 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Leave for Florida tonight for my golfing trip. Thank God get me out of this 10F crap and into the 70's. I'll be playing 36 a day but I plan on waking up early and doing a couple mile run just because I'll be able to do it in shorts and a t-shirt. There's a pool at the house so might work on my flip turns or something like that just messing around.

2014-03-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jonD81

Leave for Florida tonight for my golfing trip. Thank God get me out of this 10F crap and into the 70's. I'll be playing 36 a day but I plan on waking up early and doing a couple mile run just because I'll be able to do it in shorts and a t-shirt. There's a pool at the house so might work on my flip turns or something like that just messing around.

BOOOOO FOR WARM WEATHER! LOL J/K enjoy!

Well welcome to Tuesday. I woke up at 2am and felt.....let's just say....BAD.

Nothing ever came of it and I'm feeling better this afternoon so back to the training grind tomorrow. My PT is on vacation this week and I can't wait for him to come back. My new torture device should arrive today too.

Ok, back to work. Have a good day!
2014-03-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jonD81 Leave for Florida tonight for my golfing trip. Thank God get me out of this 10F crap and into the 70's. I'll be playing 36 a day but I plan on waking up early and doing a couple mile run just because I'll be able to do it in shorts and a t-shirt. There's a pool at the house so might work on my flip turns or something like that just messing around.

I'm jealous, but it will only be for another 10 days as I'm heading to Disney on the 14th.  Woo hoo!!!

BTW...we hit an all-time record low for March this morning at 4 degrees.  I would like to say that I'm getting used to it but that would a lie. 

2014-03-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by PhoenixM If I learned anything from that ride Blanda, it's that I don't like Yorkshire Terriers! They're heel biting nitwits. Anyways. 28 minute trainer ride today; way too rainy and wet to attempt an outdoors ride. Since tomorrow is clear, I'm gonna take it easy by doing a 1.6 mile walk from my school to the bike shop after my 9:30 class. Gonna see if there's any cycling and/or triathlon shoes on the loose. Tentative plans are a quasi-day off tomorrow, Run Wednesday, Bike Thursday (indoors...more rain!) another run Friday, and then Saturday is bike day. If I get the shoes, I'm gonna set aside a good thirty minutes doing nothing but working on mechanics with the bike (clipping in/out, simulating stops, signaling, etc). Strava will be roaring away through it for distance purposes, so I'm gonna be doing a lot of recalculating probably....

Don't worry, you'll fall anyway.  In front of people probably.  We all did...including me the first time I had clipless and then again when I got my Speedplays.  I once crashed into my trash cans and onto the hood of my car in the driveway because I couldn't clip out. 

2014-03-04 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Oh I forgot to add my latest torture device to the list: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004INOO8Y/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_... My PT calls it PORKY. Roll on THAT! LOL

That thing looks evil. 

2014-03-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Ok all, I’m looking for some opinions. Back in early January I started the Mid Volume Traditional Base plan on Trainer Road. I had several thoughts at the time as I looked ahead at all of, at the time, crazy looking volumes that I was signing up for. One was that I couldn't run very much then because of my knee. Two was that the increasing volume on the bike would be a good way to burn a lot of calories, helping on the weight loss goal. Three was simply that I need to learn to bike and strengthen that anyhow. Finally, the timing of the end of the three phases coincided well with the beginning of the 20 week training plan I was considering for the MiTi in August.

Fast forward to now. I am in the fourth week (Rest week) of Phase 2 of the plan, with each phase being about 4 weeks long. The final phase would start next week. However, I am no longer convinced that planning on five days of riding at over 10+ hours per week is my best bang for my buck right now. I absolutely need to commit to being in the pool AT LEAST 15 times this month and working on the swim. I am also seeing that I am much more able to increase mileage or days, more so than intensity, on the run right now without stressing my knee. Any harder tempo (harder being relative of course) run work has led to a little knee pain and increased swelling. As long as I keep it painfully slow and easy I seem to be able to add small amounts of mileage, or even go back to back days without much trouble. I feel like I should start building that run base back up slowly as well and stay away from any higher tempo stuff until I can get up to 30-40 miles/week, at least. The only problem is it takes a long stinking time to run that type of mileage at 10 minute miles!

So, I am thinking of scratching the third phase of the Mid Volume Base plan and trying to lower my time in the saddle (sorry Randy, it edits out the abbreviation) but increase intensity on the bike even more, especially since I LOVE my one higher intensity, interval bike workout per week I get right now. The one thing that bothers me is that I mentally committed to completing this 3 phase training plan, which is obvious to me now that I can certainly complete it, and I HATE to not complete something once I have started it.

So, I’ll wrap up this diatribe with two basic questions for the group. One, do I stick to the plan I committed to and finish what I started given the facts above, or change it up midstream? Two, Any recommendations on what my bike weeks could/should look like for the next four weeks (Days, length of workout, intensity, etc...) if I don’t stick with the Mid Volume Base?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by 43YORook 2014-03-04 3:08 PM

2014-03-04 3:18 PM

User image

Master
I feel kinda bad about my year round summer reading of all the snow and cold woes!

Hill repeats on the bike today at lunch. I'm liking how much better I've been getting at these. They're still super hard, but I'm improving my times and spending less time in the granny gears, haha! Tonight a 5 mile run.
2014-03-04 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Oh I forgot to add my latest torture device to the list:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004INOO8Y/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_...

My PT calls it PORKY.

Roll on THAT! LOL

So exactly what did you do to your PT to make him/her dislike you so much???

I went out today for my first real training ride today since last April. My rides over to my PT are only 5.5 miles so not much. Today I managed a 18 mile ride on one of my favorite rides. At just under 14 mph it wasn't fast but boy did it feel good to be out on the road again! So of course, rain for the next couple of days but looking at 75 and sunny on Sat.

I don't think I would handle the frigid temps many of you are dealing with very well. I guess that's a byproduct of spending almost all my life in CA.
2014-03-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by PhoenixM If I learned anything from that ride Blanda, it's that I don't like Yorkshire Terriers! They're heel biting nitwits. Anyways. 28 minute trainer ride today; way too rainy and wet to attempt an outdoors ride. Since tomorrow is clear, I'm gonna take it easy by doing a 1.6 mile walk from my school to the bike shop after my 9:30 class. Gonna see if there's any cycling and/or triathlon shoes on the loose. Tentative plans are a quasi-day off tomorrow, Run Wednesday, Bike Thursday (indoors...more rain!) another run Friday, and then Saturday is bike day. If I get the shoes, I'm gonna set aside a good thirty minutes doing nothing but working on mechanics with the bike (clipping in/out, simulating stops, signaling, etc). Strava will be roaring away through it for distance purposes, so I'm gonna be doing a lot of recalculating probably....

Don't worry, you'll fall anyway.  In front of people probably.  We all did...including me the first time I had clipless and then again when I got my Speedplays.  I once crashed into my trash cans and onto the hood of my car in the driveway because I couldn't clip out. 

LOL I tell people that ALL THE TIME - "you will. we all did. and then everyone will laugh and it'll be over and you won't do it again."

Bring the bike in the house and set yourself up in a doorway where you can hold on and just clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out.....it's all about muscle memory and knowing where the cleat is.

2014-03-04 6:10 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by 43YORook

Ok all, I’m looking for some opinions. Back in early January I started the Mid Volume Traditional Base plan on Trainer Road. I had several thoughts at the time as I looked ahead at all of, at the time, crazy looking volumes that I was signing up for. One was that I couldn't run very much then because of my knee. Two was that the increasing volume on the bike would be a good way to burn a lot of calories, helping on the weight loss goal. Three was simply that I need to learn to bike and strengthen that anyhow. Finally, the timing of the end of the three phases coincided well with the beginning of the 20 week training plan I was considering for the MiTi in August.

Fast forward to now. I am in the fourth week (Rest week) of Phase 2 of the plan, with each phase being about 4 weeks long. The final phase would start next week. However, I am no longer convinced that planning on five days of riding at over 10+ hours per week is my best bang for my buck right now. I absolutely need to commit to being in the pool AT LEAST 15 times this month and working on the swim. I am also seeing that I am much more able to increase mileage or days, more so than intensity, on the run right now without stressing my knee. Any harder tempo (harder being relative of course) run work has led to a little knee pain and increased swelling. As long as I keep it painfully slow and easy I seem to be able to add small amounts of mileage, or even go back to back days without much trouble. I feel like I should start building that run base back up slowly as well and stay away from any higher tempo stuff until I can get up to 30-40 miles/week, at least. The only problem is it takes a long stinking time to run that type of mileage at 10 minute miles!

So, I am thinking of scratching the third phase of the Mid Volume Base plan and trying to lower my time in the saddle (sorry Randy, it edits out the abbreviation) but increase intensity on the bike even more, especially since I LOVE my one higher intensity, interval bike workout per week I get right now. The one thing that bothers me is that I mentally committed to completing this 3 phase training plan, which is obvious to me now that I can certainly complete it, and I HATE to not complete something once I have started it.

So, I’ll wrap up this diatribe with two basic questions for the group. One, do I stick to the plan I committed to and finish what I started given the facts above, or change it up midstream? Two, Any recommendations on what my bike weeks could/should look like for the next four weeks (Days, length of workout, intensity, etc...) if I don’t stick with the Mid Volume Base?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Chris- Obviously I'm not a coach but I can tell you what worked for me last year. I did 2 cycles of 20 Minute Power Accelerator (E3 Training Solutions). It was written by Coach Jorge who's winter trainer program was very popular on here before the advent of Trainer Road. It raised my Virtual Power about 25 points over 12 weeks. Either that or take a look at one of the Build Programs, it looks like there is a lot of time spent on intervals that are at or above FTP. Plus you can always add a long ride if you want more time in the saddle. Personally, I'm doing the 1st Sweet Spot Base I and then either one of the two I mentioned before. That puts me into the better weather and the start of the HIM plan.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.