CLOSED

of 12

2008-04-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1302970

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Team Mighty Moose

Hey Gill!  Welcome to the Moose Team.  It seems that  many people who do triathlons have time constraints...I guess that it is one of the things that makes it addictive--it's a fun thing to fit into the day!  I know the challenges of having a young kid and trying to train--last year I pretty much had a kid or two with me for most training sessions--running with the jogging stroller, pulling them behind my bike in the trailer, and I even tried to mock up a way to swim pulling one in an inner tube, but couldn't get it to work right!  It's a little easier this year, now that they are older, and I am better at finding ME time to do my workouts.  I really look forward to the super long workouts and also to race day, as I know I don't have to deal with anyone else's problems for that time!  Unless of course I am swimming at the gym, and have to go change a diaper, which tends to happen a lot.

Anyway, I sure went on and on.  That's me.  Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming races!

-Leslie

2008-04-08 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Welcome Gill. Cute kid.

I updated my time for last week. My measly 4% of goal is not going move us any higher is the standings. I was on vacation last week, but I should be able to make up the time in the next couple weeks.

Scot
2008-04-08 6:33 PM

Unfortunately work got a little in the way last week. Even though this is a recovery week, I think on my non recovery days I will need to add 15 min to each of my workouts.
2008-04-08 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1324771

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

I decided after my brick workout this weekend to nix the half marathon in June, so I altered my running goals - I have no need to run that high of mileage if I am training for a sprint tri! 

Other than tht things are good to plan.  I rode the bke yesterday nd it was a ret day, so I took tht ride as my 30 minute ride tonight.  I ran 30 minutes after work.  I may get on the trainer and try to bust out 15-20 minutes as bonus, but it is SO hard to ride on the trainer knowing how much fun I could be having outside - if it wan't dark and I didn't live on a blind curve. 

Great job everyone!

Long live the moose!

2008-04-08 8:53 PM

User image

Got my first swim of the month in.  Did 3 x 500 just trying to work on form.  Right shoulder started to act up on me on the last lap of the last set.  Did some weights at the gym on lowered weights as I haven't lifted  in two weeks and my shoulder was fine.  Came home and jogged and my shoulder started acting up again around mile 3.  Hopefully it feels better tomorrow. 

Some nasty looking clouds outside at the moment.  Planning on a 60mi bike ride tomorrow if weather holds up.  Time to cook some dinner.  Good job everyone!

2008-04-08 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I had a biking "adventure" this afternoon.  I was so excited about early daylight savings time this year, but work has been on such overload that I haven't had much chance to take advantage.  However, today I was able to get out early and ran over to my usual place for a somewhat long ride.  But I had forgotten that it was Tuesday, also known as "Testosterone Tuesday" around here.  My usual route was overrun by about 50 guys ready to set the road on fire!  I was a little early, so I set off in hopes that I could stay ahead for the entire ride.  But... I got to the turnaround point and started heading back, and one of the security police (I ride on a military range) flashed his lights and pulled me over.  Me???!!!  What was I doing wrong?  Nothing that I could see!

He asked if I had cut across the range (you've got to be kidding me, right? -- it's all sand and I'm on a road bike).  Then when I explained that I hadn't, he exclaimed about how fast I must be (who, me?  you've got to be kidding again!).  Then he goes on and on about closed roads (I ride these roads all the time!) and maps (where would I put one of those on my bike, plus I know where I'm going!).  Then he finally tells me I need a pass -- which I have!!!  Finally he tells me to "have a nice day".  Ok, in the meantime all I can think about is all of these guys catching up to me.

And of course that happens.  I take off, and in a few minutes I see them heading toward the turnaround point.  My only hope at this point is that the SP stops and questions them too (yeah, right, like that's going to happen!).  So I suck it up and admit that I'm going to be passed.  It still took a few miles for that to happen, but happen it did.  Whoosh and they are by me, but I pedal like mad and keep them in sight for awhile. 

So that's my adventure.  No record setting ride, but I was so mad that I did ride faster than I had in along time.  And sorry for the novel, but I had to tell someone who might get a kick out of it...

2008-04-09 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job everyone. Got in some good swimming (mostly focused on breathing and form so not a lot of yardage) last night and some bike miles. Plan on swimming 1500 or so tonight and biking 30 on Thursday which will put me more than on pace for those 2 disciplines. If the weather cooperates and I can get outside this weekend I should end up way ahead of schedule which is good since I have a race the last weekend of April and went to slow training down a bit the week leading into it.
2008-04-09 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Sledge-that is a crazy adventure! I will bet your HR was high on that one!  Good job getting it done.  Same to everyone....

If you are having a hard time logging your workouts on the spreadsheet, let me know and I can either post them for you or help you figure it out.  It looks like some of you have yet to post.

www.docs.google.com

[email protected]  password is challengeforum

Here is the link to the Mighty Moose spreadsheet, although I am not totally sure it will work:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pVOlxyviRAwYPDhoHTECJRQ&hl=en&pli=1

2008-04-09 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

So what are you all up to today?

I'll be at the pool in a while doing a 38 minute swim (3 x 500) and then sometime will be on the bike for 1 hr 17 minutes, not sure if that will be this afternoon, evening or later tonight on the trainer. It all depends on childcare, which is random and sporadic!  But I will get it done.  I ran 58 min last night despite fighting a cold, and am feeling pretty good today.

2008-04-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1326366

User image

Veteran
I got my run in this morning. Tomorrow will be a 5 mile run at 5:30 am and then a bike ride at 11:15 for around 1 hour.
2008-04-09 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

1650 in the pool this morning (32:48) - a tad slower than normal but my longest swim ever.  Having an injured foot has helped my swimming dramatically because of the additional pool time and I should not have any problem getting to my goal distance for the month.  I've nearly logged as much distance this month as I did all last month.

I'm going to replace my run goal for the month w/ a bike goal, so as not to rush myself back into running.  New goal is 10 hrs on the bike.  Spin class counts right?

I just noticed in the original post for our team thread we're supposed to pick a captain.  Did we do that?  If not, I'd like to nominate Medusa_Ann.

2008-04-09 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I'm run commuting to and from work today. It's about 4.5 miles one way. If my legs are ok with the two a days, it might be an easy way to pick up some extra workout time.

I'm hoping to go to the pool later tonight after the kiddies are in bed.

Scot
2008-04-09 3:52 PM

User image

We suppsoedly have a quick staff meeting after school today.  My bike ies ready to go as soon as I get home.  Hoping for 50miles if the sun holds up long enough.
2008-04-09 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1326366

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I got my first ever brick in today.  Didn't feel good at all on the bike but I fought thru it and ended up having a really nice run.  Those first few minutes of the run were odd though - like my brain was disconnected from my legs!
2008-04-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1326964

esc - 2008-04-09 4:39 PM

I got my first ever brick in today. Didn't feel good at all on the bike but I fought thru it and ended up having a really nice run. Those first few minutes of the run were odd though - like my brain was disconnected from my legs!

Nice job on the brick. Thats great. I started doing at least a 15 minute jog after every ride, just to get used to that "ODD" feeling after the bike, and its really helping out.
2008-04-09 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Ankeny, Iowa

This week is about catching up for me. I slacked a bit on the weekend and life got in the way on Monday so I am a little behind schedule. Everything has been figured in and I will be back on track by the end of this week.

Yesterday was a 4 mile run and a 1 hour bike. Tonight I have a 4 mile run (managed to run all 4 together for the first time - YEAH me) and then 30 min bike and some lower body workouts (squats, lunges, abs, leg press, curls, etc) for 30 min.

I should sleep well tonight. Keep up the good work everyone. We need everyone to work out to win. We can do it..

Stacie

2008-04-09 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1326624

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
cadmus - 2008-04-09 12:30 PM

I just noticed in the original post for our team thread we're supposed to pick a captain.  Did we do that?  If not, I'd like to nominate Medusa_Ann.

I will accept the nomination if you guys want.  I don't know exactly what I need to do, but whatever it, I will do my best.    Of course, as leader, you all must inspire me daily. Just kidding.    I suppose it goes the other way-I will do my best, I promise!

I have yet to get on my bike today....I may end up doing it on my rest day tomorrow.  The cold I've been fighting is trying to get to my lungs and I am afraid I am wearing out.  I won't slack it totally off, as I have at least one long ride on the weekend, possibly two.  It's gonna be warm here for the first time in a very long time!!  I did my swim today, and my shoulder is still feeling ok.  Phew!

Everyone's workouts look great today!  Way to go!

2008-04-09 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great pick for captain! Got in 1000 in the pool and then a hard lifting session of just over one hour. I'm beat and going to bed! Hope for a 20 to 30 mile ride tomorrow to simulate my upcoming DU.
2008-04-10 4:16 AM
in reply to: #1327607

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-10 6:01 AM
in reply to: #1327881

Veteran
I agree with that choice for captain.
2008-04-10 7:14 AM

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Happy Thursday everyone! Let's swim/bike/run!

2008-04-10 2:30 PM

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I think Leslie will make a super captain!

I got a little run in this morning, and postponed a decision about riding until a little while ago.  I've decided to rest my legs for the race on Saturday.

Looks like nearly everyone is doing great!

2008-04-10 5:17 PM

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi team!  I made it on the bike for 1 hr 2 min, using the trainer and my mountain bike.  My road bike has another flat on the rear and I am not confident at changing that one....I will hit the lbs for one more lesson on that. Plus, if I'd messed with it as long as it would have taken me, I'd have run out of time (since I had to do the ride during the kid's nap).  Anyway, I got it done, a little less than I had hoped for but better than nothing!  It is supposed to be sunny and warm this weekend, so you will definitely find me adding up the miles then!

The team is doing great--here's your daily nag to log your times/distances.... 

Here are a few highlights, 1/3 of the way through the month: 

• Matt (cadmus) has hit almost 68% of his swimming goal! 
  • Kurtis has done 40% of his swim goal of 20,000 yards!
  • Oliver (oweiss) has hit 44% of his biking goal of 700 miles (312 so far!!)!
  • Fred has hit almost 46% of his running goal!
  • Emily has hit 42% of her running goal!
  • Kerry has strength trained for 95 minutes, over 52% of her goal!

At 33% of the month done, the following have achieved an overall % at or above 33% (all goals combined):

Matt (cadmus); Emily (esc); Fred; Leslie (me!); Cheri (Sledge). 

The rest are very very close....although Gilly, where are your times??  Happy working out and posting!  Be sure to let me know if you need help getting stuff onto the spreadsheet! Keep up the awesome work everyone!!!

2008-04-10 6:22 PM

Enjoy
2008-04-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1329576

Expert
Ankeny, Iowa
Medusa_Ann - 2008-04-10 5:17 PM

Hi team!  I made it on the bike for 1 hr 2 min, using the trainer and my mountain bike.  My road bike has another flat on the rear and I am not confident at changing that one....I will hit the lbs for one more lesson on that. Plus, if I'd messed with it as long as it would have taken me, I'd have run out of time (since I had to do the ride during the kid's nap).  Anyway, I got it done, a little less than I had hoped for but better than nothing!  It is supposed to be sunny and warm this weekend, so you will definitely find me adding up the miles then!

The team is doing great--here's your daily nag to log your times/distances.... 

Here are a few highlights, 1/3 of the way through the month: 

• Matt (cadmus) has hit almost 68% of his swimming goal! 
  • Kurtis has done 40% of his swim goal of 20,000 yards!
  • Oliver (oweiss) has hit 44% of his biking goal of 700 miles (312 so far!!)!
  • Fred has hit almost 46% of his running goal!
  • Emily has hit 42% of her running goal!
  • Kerry has strength trained for 95 minutes, over 52% of her goal!

At 33% of the month done, the following have achieved an overall % at or above 33% (all goals combined):

Matt (cadmus); Emily (esc); Fred; Leslie (me!); Cheri (Sledge). 

The rest are very very close....although Gilly, where are your times??  Happy working out and posting!  Be sure to let me know if you need help getting stuff onto the spreadsheet! Keep up the awesome work everyone!!!

I seem to never make the "cool kids" list on the challenges. I am always a day or two off. After tonight workouts I am at 31.6% - hopefully I can stick to the schedule and be on the "cool kids" list next time.

Keep it up everyone. Great job.

Edited by dimplespoo 2008-04-10 7:19 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Team Mighty Moose Rss Feed  

of 12