Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-05-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1380264

User image

Texas
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!
esnackpack - 2008-05-03 10:06 PM

Am I going to be ridiculously slow on my hybrid bike compare to all the road bikes and tri bikes? The bike I have is a Trek 7200 Hybrid. It's about 4 years old.

Here's the bike: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/7000_series/720... (but a women's version and a couple years older)

If you look around, you can usually find some fairly decent used road bikes on sites like craigslist (or ebay). Craigslist is nice b/c its local. Anyways, i've seen bikes like (trek 1000's, an entry level road bike) that were a year or two old being sold for $100-150 bucks. You could probably pick up a road bike that would be better than your hybrid, and not be out a significant amount of money. You would just want to stop by a bike store, and get them to fit you on a road bike, so that you know the exact size you are looking for... anyways, just a thought.

2008-05-05 5:22 AM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
HEY LYNN!! How did your tri go?? Details! We need details!!

Linda & I both ran the Broad Street Run yesterday, a HUGE 10-miler in Philadelphia (over 19,000 runners this year!). Logistics are a bit of a headache with such a big race, but it's kinda fun. The course trends downhill for the entire run, so it's generally a pretty fast race, but there is a lot of people-dodging involved. I ran at a sub-9:00/mile pace (just barely, but still!) which is very good for me! If I could get the whole drinking-water-from-a-cup-while-running thing down, I could have knocked a little more time off... At least I can now just sort of transition to a fast walk for a few steps, gulp it down quickly, and get back up to speed again...

Hope you all had a great weekend!
2008-05-05 5:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay, kids... it's WEEKLY GOAL time!

I have found that, for me at least, stating my goals publicly helps keep me on track. Maybe it will work for you, too. Your goals can be simple, or detailed. Whatever works for you. And, of course, this is completely optional - nobody HAS to state their goals publicly, but if you DO lay them out there for us, then the rest of the group can encourage you to do your best go meet them. And don't sweat it if you miss meeting your goals! Sometimes life gets in the way, and we miss a training session or two. No big deal. You just have to shrug your shoulders and move on...

So, here are my goals for the week:

1. 3 swim, bike, & run workouts.
2. Biking - total 120 miles
3. Running - total 20 - 25 miles
4. Swimming - total 6,000 yards
5. Ride the Black Bear bike course
6. Try not to eat too much junk food!!

My planned schedule for the week:

Monday - Bike (30-ish miles, ride the Black Bear course)
Tuesday - Interval run, swim
Wednesday - Long bike/brick
Thursday - Swim
Friday - Bike, swim
Saturday - Long Run
Sunday - off (Mother's Day!)

Have a great week!
2008-05-05 9:15 AM

New user

My goal this week is to not miss any of my planned workouts. Also my goal is to not snack tons during the day.

Here it is:

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 26 m run (most likely longer than this)

Wednesday: 44 m swim

Thursday: 35 m run (most likely longer than this)

Friday: 1 h 28 m bike

Sat: 44 m run (probably more like an 11-12 miler

2008-05-05 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Okay -- Here's my race info -- or should I say event?? Lol -- I'm not sure how much I was in the RACE. The water was great, about 64 and with a suit, really felt good. I could see in the water, so at least I did freestyle the whole time. My sighting was interesting. I swam way more than the 500 meters because of my path! I started in the back 1/3  and on the outside and had a hard time getting much ahead because I kept hitting people's legs and I really didn't want to push anyone down or swim over anyone. My husband says I need to be more aggressive on the swim, IF I want to finish faster. He's probably right, but maybe some of you can help me with this. I'm not the strongest swimmer, but I know I can swim faster because once I got some open water, I went by a few others.

My total time was 1:14 for a 500 meter swim, 9 mile bike, and 3 mile run. I kept my bike in the higher gear almost the whole time and passed a few, but the men came up on me, who started after us.. Oh well -- not the slowest, not the fastest. The run was pretty good, but a lot of inches deep sand, which is what tweaked my calf last time, so I was very cautious. I did have a pretty darn good kick though, I must admit. I'll get my splits on Wed. I was in about the middle for my age group and my age group out here is pretty competitive. So now, I have 2 under my belt (although I've yet to get a race belt). I still use the shoestring method. :-

There it is -- which leads me to my goals for the week. I imported the olympic plan again, just because the sprint doesn't give me enough training for my body now. I think I take your advice, jenny and try and add one extra swim, bike or run each week. So this week, I'll aim for 3x bike, 2 x run and 2 x swim, 2 x strength training and my Friday yoga for runners class.

My biggest goal is not to be so hard on myself and RELAX and have fun. :-) That's what it's all about.

I also met two BTers as I was leaving and that was really great.  

2008-05-05 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Congratulations on a great race, Lynn.

2008-05-05 4:04 PM

Goals for week:

Work-out 5 days. Plan and execute out-of-state graduation party. Transition college kids back home (& stock up on granola bars, sports drinks, and laundry detergent!)
-Arden
2008-05-05 4:56 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Way to go, Lynn! Great race!

I managed to get up to ride the Black Bear bike course today (it's about a 1.5 hour drive from home - ugh). I actually didn't end up getting to ride the entire course because I made a couple of navigational errors, and I ran out of time (had to get home to pick the kiddos up from school!). I will likely try to get back up at least 2 more times to ride the course before my race. Most generally flat bike courses I probably wouldn't bother riding before the race, but for this one (hilly!) I think it will pay to know where the hills are, how long they are, which ones I can push up and over pretty quickly, and which ones will be a long slow haul up.

It's kind of a fun course, actually. You can really get flyin' down some of those hills! My max speed today was 40 + mph, and I was riding the brakes down most of the hills!
2008-05-06 1:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

My goals this week will be to workout Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri, and to eat well all week.  I'm going out of town Saturday and won't be back til late the following Tues.  I'm not sure if I'll get to work out while I'm gone.  I'm going to visit my Mother in Law in Napa, a 7.5 hour drive from home.  She's 96 and lives in an Assisted Living Facility.  We will probably be with her most of the time and I probably won't get to eat as well as I'd like.  So, hopefully, I won't get too off track.

2008-05-06 8:13 AM

Goals for the week

Mon off
Tues- run 4, swim
Wed- run 8, bike
Thurs- swim , run 5
Fri- off drive to mlps 3 hours
Sat, du 5k 13 bike 5k
Sunday what ever I feel like doing fo 50 min, I will listen to how my body feels.

Try to eat well and get to bed early.
2008-05-06 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
My only goal for the week is to get into the open water....somewhere, somehow and not be a baby about it!!!! I have my very first sprint tri next sunday and really need to get into a lake prior to it because I want to have the confidence and not be freaking on raceday. I asked a friend if she wants to go up tomorrow to Pinchot lake and I am waiting to here. If not i know the local team in training will be up there thursday and saturday. That is my plan. I do totally dread the thought of getting in that freezing water, even with a wetsuit...but it must be done. and if I am there with others, i will be less likely to wimp out! :0)

lesley

2008-05-06 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1384918

User image

Eastern PA
Lesleyann-
Are you doing Mt. Gretna? I am and I am trying to decide on renting a wet suit or not. Any advice out there? Last year they said the lake temp was 74 and the year before it was 68. Do I need a wetsuit?

Jenny-
What bike club do you belong to? I am looking to find a good one.

Sorry to be late posting my goals, but I've been out training! lol.

Mon - Ride 25 miles flat trail (done)
Tue - Run 3 miles (done)
Wed - Ride 15 - 20 hilly terrain
Thurs - Weight training
Fri - Rest Day
Sat - Swim with the masters team.
Sun - Ride 10 miles run 3 miles.

I need to start working in more bricks!

First tri - May 24th
2008-05-07 5:17 AM
in reply to: #1385945

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lesley - Good luck with your open water swim! Great idea to get out there and try it out before your race!

Teash - I'm a big fan of wetsuits in any wetsuit legal race for a coouple of reasons - 1) Obviously, warmth, if the temps are cold. 68 degrees is still pretty chilly! 2) Most people are at least somewhat faster in a wetsuit than than without a wetsuit; and 3) Especially when I first started, the wetsuit gave me a sense of security in open water. They're very bouyant - it's sort of like wearing a giant life preserver!

The bike club I belong to is the Delware Valley Bike Club. I forget where in PA you live... DVBC rides are mostly in the Media, PA area. They have a very nice supported metric century (about 60 miles) ride coming up in a couple of weeks (there are shorter distance options as well). The website is dvbc.org, there are also some links to websites of other bike clubs in the region. If DVBC rides are too far for you to travel, maybe one of the other clubs will work for you. Bike shops also sometimes lead organized group rides...

I just did a quick google search, here's a list of bike clubs in PA, I don't know how complete it is, but it might be a good place to start! http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/6213/pa.htm
2008-05-07 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1386464

User image

Eastern PA
Thanks Jenny! I live in Langhorne, Bucks County. I will check out the links.... BTW, your logs are amazing!!!!
2008-05-07 11:34 AM

New user

Well, I purchase a tri top and tri shorts so I have something to wear for my triathlon. I'm thinking I have to lose some weight before the triathlon though -- no one like a muffin top.

Here's what I bought:

http://www.onetri.com/soto-womens-carrera-full-2008-p-2861.html

http://www.onetri.com/soto-womens-micro-short-2008-p-2871.html 

2008-05-07 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Cute! Does it drive anyone else crazy how expensive tri clothing is?!? I'm such a cheapsakete.. I'm always on the lookout for bargain basement workout clothing...

I did my loooooonnnnngggg brick workout today. Phew! I'm tired! My son has a 5th grade choir concert tonight. Hope I don't fall asleep in the middle of it. How embarassing would THAT be??

2008-05-07 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Goal accomplished, BUT holy SH-TTTTT!

So I decided today was the day to get in the open water since if got to 79 today. So I go up to Pinchot Lake and throw on the wetsuit and get in without hesitation because I see people in the water in regular bathsuits. The temp was absolutely fine. Not an issue like I imagined, HOWEVER, when I walked out to the end of the swimming area and stuck my head in and started to swim, I ABSOLUTELY FREAKED....I MEAN MINI PANIC ATTACK. First of all the breathing felt weird in the wetsuit.....tight! But the real issue was NOT SEEING THE BEAUTIFUL CLEAR POOL WATER AND THE LINE, BUT INSTEAD SEEING GREENISH MURKY DARKNESS!!!! i have heard of people saying it is a big adjustment but I just didn't think it would be a big deal because I have always been comfortable in lakes, oceans, etc. Let me tell you, it is a big deal!!! I was soo freaked. I can inland where I could stand and just slowly started to swim a bit and then stand and get used to the whole thing. I spent about 20 minutes just getting used to the water. It got better but it is a bit scary. I think part of my problem was I was alone and even though the water was shallow, I might have felt better if someone else was there. The wetsuit was pretty cool though because of the bouyancy. The little bit I would sink in the pool when breathing on my weak side was basically corrected. I have a full suit and it felt comfortable for freestyle but when I tried to do breast it felt tight in the arms. I also felt like I wasn't going anywhere doing breast, sidestroke was better. I wanted to practice a bail out stroke in case I get winded or off course. Also sighting will definitely be interesting. i haven't really practiced that much. The water was pretty choppy so it was hard to see where I was going even when I did look up. Its funny because this morning in the pool it was like the heavens opened up, a light shined down on me, and blessed me because I would just swim nonstop today without getting tired to the point where I just stopped counting laps and just went with it. that was a miracle in itself because I have really been struggling with breathing. I had been doing 100 free, then 25 breast repeats for 8-10 and figured that was going to be as good as it gets for race day. So I finally get confidence in the pool today, to just get a big hit in the teeth in the lake today. I have to say I am wondering why the hell i am doing this now. I also just signed up for team in training and the nations tri in washington dc in september and there is no turning back on that now. I have to raise $2700 for that.

I plan on doing back again tomorrow with the TNT group and maybe it will go better. Funny how the temp was just not an issue at all but everything else was! LOL!

Anyone have any pointers on open water swimming and the things I have mentioned.

Teash: I am doing gretna and definitely plan on using a wetsuit. If you look at the race pics from last year, most people have them on. I highly doubt that those temps you have are accurate because I have heard people complain of the temp. Apparently then drain the lake the week before the race so it doesn't have time to heat up. I got my wetsuit from promotion and it is pretty sharp but was around $200 and you may not want to spend that right now. Check ebay. Every now and then you can find a good deal.

2008-05-07 7:56 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey Lesley, I think that's a pretty common experience. We get so used to swimming our laps in that nice clear water with that big black line on the bottom showing us where to go... It can be a little freaky to look down and just see the murky darkness! It does get better the more often you do it, though. I'm glad you're going back with a group. I think you'll find it more comforting to have other people around.

I'm afraid I don't have any other great words of wisdom for you on this one... Just try to relax as best you can. In your race, don't feel like you have to jump out there right away. You might be more relaxed if you give the more competetive folks a few seconds to move away from the swim start and just do your swim at an easy, comfortable pace. Having a fall-back stroke is a very good idea - and, yeah, breast-stroke doesn't work so well in a wetsuit for some reason...

It's good you have a chance to try out open water swimming before your race, lots of folks don't really have the opportunity before their first tri, and then they get to experience that particular freak-out on race day!

Good luck, let us know how your second OWS (with a group) goes for you.

Oh, and it's always best to swim with someone else... sounds like there were other people there, but just for safety's sake, never go open water swimming alone...
2008-05-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1388265

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Lesley--I am grinning and so agreeing with you re: the swim! When I did my first tri about 3 weeks ago we got to go in the water the day before and I was freaked that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. We go back to Indiana every summer to visit relatives and I always swim in the lake without incident, but for some reason (maybe the wetsuit?) I had the same reaction. I couldn't seem to get my face in the water for more than a few strokes. The swim on that tri was mostly breast stroke for me because I just couldn't get the head in the water. I was so surprised by my reaction, but I see it's quite common.

The good news is last weekend, it was a bay swim and while the water was salty, at least I could see better. I could see my hand, arm and of course the kelp and there were some jellyfish around, but they didn't get near me. I was able to swim, but not my usual pool stroke. I guess, my point is, that I think it gets easier. Right Jenny? I've also ordered the TI freestyle made easy DVD for good measure!

I do see that the more I swim the more comfortable I feel in the water. But I really empathize with you and think it's a great idea to get some practice and the wetsuit definitely helps.

Leticia-- You'll be a hottie in that cute tri suit. And, yes they are way too expensive.

2008-05-08 4:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey, just wondering WHO'S RACING this weekend? I'm pretty sure we have a couple of group members who are. Let us know so we can CHEER YOU ON!!

And I'm thinking of opening up the group to a few more members.... what do you guys think?
2008-05-08 7:58 AM

I am in this weekend for racing, well if you want to call it that. I really just want a chance to practice trans and the bike. I am just learning to ride and the gears. Its a du 5k 13 5k. I haven't been out on bike much. We just moved up to in northern Mn about 1 year ago and we just lost the snow about 2 weeks ago. So this bike stuff is pretty new. It will be nice just to ride. We live on a lake . The ice just came off about 4 days ago. I hope to get in by June 1 with a wet suit. I am a terrible swimmer so I am not real excited to jump in, but from the thread it sounds like it will be a good idea to get as many ows in as possible. Slowly I will then be able to put all the pieces together. The swim legs still scares me , cofidence still not there. I admire all who have done a tri my hats off to you all and good luck to all who will be racing this week end!

2008-05-08 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1389130

User image

Master
Vista, CA

jsnowash - 2008-05-08 2:53 AM Hey, just wondering WHO'S RACING this weekend? I'm pretty sure we have a couple of group members who are. Let us know so we can CHEER YOU ON!! And I'm thinking of opening up the group to a few more members.... what do you guys think?

I'm okay with more members. Are you going to be able to keep track of us all? Don't want you to load too much on your plate with your big race coming up and all. Either way, I'm cool with it. Off to bike now. :-

2008-05-08 6:40 PM

Good Luck this weekend everyone. Whether racing or not, May is so busy- I admire everyone's commitment! Lesley, thanks for sharing the lake experience. I was SCUBA certified in an Indiana quarry years ago, but will definitley need to wade back in soon.

Question: During our spring showers/thunderstorms I've been riding the trainer. How do y' all log trainer time "in season?" I took off the rear wheel trainer computer once the weather warmed, but miss the feedback/distraction of the display (have the Kinetic, so it also gives watts.) Just go by time or replace the computer/sensor?
-Arden
2008-05-08 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
100% IMPROVEMENT IN OPEN WATER TODAY!!!!!

So i went back to the lake today with the TNT group and braved it again. The water was much, much calmer today. It was soooo much better with other people there. I guess safety in numbers is an accurate statement in this instance! I didn't really have the "murker darkness" issue today......Today's issue was SIGHTING. I was all over the place. I haven't practiced at all in the pool but I don't think that would have helped much anyway. I guess part of the issue was that there was just ropes up with white balls on them....many white balls, so you didn't know which one to look at.

I have to say at this point that I totally recommen getting in the OW as much as possible. I know CGI racing is hosting OWS at Lake Wenonah in NJ every Thursday so if someone lives around there it would be a good place to start. I am soooo glad I joined TNT because even though my specific event training didn't start, they let me tag along on there current training. There was 8 of us out there today, all at different levels but the majority novices. So we were supporting each other. I have to say all those hours in the pool almost seem useless now because it is just so different.

Lelsey
2008-05-08 9:18 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Way to go, Lesley! Glad you were able to get back out there, and had a better experience this time. Sighting is tough... I know I've had a few swims that were longer than they needed to be because of my zig-zag swimming!

And I definitely wouldn't say your hours in the pool have been "wasted"! At least you know you can swim the distance you need to swim. Open water swimming is definitely different, but most of us can't train in open water as regularly as we can train in a pool. The pool helps you build your swimming technique and endurance. The open water skills, like sighting, come with experience. It's awesome that you have access to a lake you can swim in and a group to train there with!

Keep up the good work!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15