Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-01-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1857242

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL

They are good...

I also eat out once or twice every 2 weeks, it could be anywhere from A&Ws (tonight) or Boston pizza. Lucky for me weight issues have never been a problem.

2009-01-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1884407

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
ryan90 - 2009-01-03 4:48 PM

mmm homemade granola bars sound good.....

RECIPE????
2009-01-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1883461

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
ryan90 - 2009-01-02 9:29 PM

I am going to start a "Once a Day Maximum" regime when i get paid on the 15th as well. probably take a pill once every other day for now. or maybe half doses? I drink plenty of water during the day. If I don't i can feel it and take a drinksies.

What is this?? What kind of pill are you going to take?

ALso -- where are all of you on protein shakes? Whey? Soy? Casien (Sp?)?
2009-01-03 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1884648

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-01-03 8:34 PM

ryan90 - 2009-01-03 4:48 PM

mmm homemade granola bars sound good.....

RECIPE????

X2 please...
2009-01-03 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1884650

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-01-03 8:37 PM

ryan90 - 2009-01-02 9:29 PM

I am going to start a "Once a Day Maximum" regime when i get paid on the 15th as well. probably take a pill once every other day for now. or maybe half doses? I drink plenty of water during the day. If I don't i can feel it and take a drinksies.

What is this?? What kind of pill are you going to take?

ALso -- where are all of you on protein shakes? Whey? Soy? Casien (Sp?)?

I believe you are talking about "One a Day" multi-vitamins, right Ryan? I take mine at night verses the morning. There are many different kinds for people with different needs so read the labels well.

Regarding protein shakes, I would like to drink more. Whey would be my first choice, with a berry or berries. Not the greatest but I sometimes add vanilla frozen yogart too. I usually consume my daily Boost High Protein as it is very nutritious, quick, and easy. Best cold too. I keep a couple in my home fridge and a few at work too.

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-03 10:42 PM
2009-01-04 12:14 AM

yea One a Day.

i was specifically looking for something with calcium, vit d, and iron. One a Day has those but they don't have iron. the maximum does though. these have all kinds of other things like selenium and what not for heart health? I am 18... i just want the extra vitamin d, calcium, and iron.... am i straight to take those or would it have adverse effects?

Let's swap recipes :-D

I've always been taught that whey promotes testerone and muscle mass. whereas soy promotes estrogen building more leaner muscle. All of my college friends running cross switched to soy.

soy is also much cheaper too.

i like mixing a banana with vanilla shakes with either whole or 2% milk for flavor.

or like tony said, any type of berry and some yogurt. Throw some ice in there to and make it a smoothie. i think that's the ultimate post race/workout eatin is a protein shake mixed with some type of fruit. maybe a some granola too.

i drink nestle's breakfeast carnation. when it's mixed with milk... it's good unlike the GNC shakes that taste horrible and cost 4x more. idk if the protein is whey soy or what though. I think it says derived from egg.

Edited by ryan90 2009-01-04 12:17 AM

2009-01-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1884887

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ryan90 - 2009-01-04 1:14 AM

yea One a Day.

i was specifically looking for something with calcium, vit d, and iron. One a Day has those but they don't have iron. the maximum does though. these have all kinds of other things like selenium and what not for heart health? I am 18... i just want the extra vitamin d, calcium, and iron.... am i straight to take those or would it have adverse effects?

Let's swap recipes :-D

I've always been taught that whey promotes testerone and muscle mass. whereas soy promotes estrogen building more leaner muscle. All of my college friends running cross switched to soy.

soy is also much cheaper too.

i like mixing a banana with vanilla shakes with either whole or 2% milk for flavor.

or like tony said, any type of berry and some yogurt. Throw some ice in there to and make it a smoothie. i think that's the ultimate post race/workout eatin is a protein shake mixed with some type of fruit. maybe a some granola too.

i drink nestle's breakfeast carnation. when it's mixed with milk... it's good unlike the GNC shakes that taste horrible and cost 4x more. idk if the protein is whey soy or what though. I think it says derived from egg.

Ryan,

I thought I saw a Teen One a Day vitamin on the market recently that you might want to check out. That might even be better for you.

I use skim milk exclusively for oatmeal, cereal, and smoothies. I just like the taste better overall. Nestle's breakfast mix is good too. That and chocolate milk are good recovery drinks indeed. I use Endurox as my recovery drink as I like the taste and mix of ingredients. Oh, and it works very well for me! It is harder to find but can be located at many running/cycling/tri shops, as well as Performance Bicycles, etc...

Tony
2009-01-04 1:13 PM

i've seen commercials for it but havn't seen it in stores yet.

I looked up results for the iron abe and stone abe....

and decided that a top 3 in my age group for the stone abe sprint dist. is attainable.... and much cooler.so i am tweaking my training plans for a shorter but more instense blowout race..... which also takes a little tension off of my schedule compared to the olympic...

Edited by ryan90 2009-01-04 1:45 PM
2009-01-04 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Here is a great recipe for peanut butter granola bars. Inspired by Robin Hood  home baking book.

Preheat oven to 325F (160 C)

8 inch (2L) square cake pan, greased. Note: We double the following recipe, which you would use a long rectangular pan instead. Temperature remains the same.

Crust:

1/2 cup Robin Hood All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Flour                                     125ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                   125ml

3 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                45ml

1/4 tsp baking powder                                                                                           1ml

3  tbsp  butter, melted                                                                                         45ml

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, melted                                                                                           50ml

2 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                  30ml

2 tbsp honey                                                                                                         30ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                     125ml

1/2 cup finely chopped nuts                                                                                 125ml

1/3 cup  flaked coconut                                                                                          75ml

1/4 cup  sunflower seeds                                                                                       50ml

1/4 cup raisins                                                                                                        50ml

1. Crust: Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder  in a medium bowl. Add melted butter. Mix Well. Press firmly into a prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden at edges and set.

2. Topping: Combine melted butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Add oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds and raisins. Mix well. Spread mixture over crust. Press down gently.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until golden and set. Cool completely in pan on rack, then cut into bars.

Variations

Use any nuts you have on hand or a combination of them. Just be sure they are finely chopped to make cutting the bars easier. We actually omit them completely if we don't have them on hand.

We also use peanut butter in this recipe in both the crust and topping.(this is a must in my opinion)

Replace the raisins with dried cranberries, chopped pitted dates or chopped dried apricots. 

enjoy

2009-01-04 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
YEAH! Thanks for the recipe. Seems simple enough. Can't wait to try out.

Is there a new topic this week or are we still on nutrition? Picked up some whey protein (it was on sale so actually worked out to be cheaper than the soy) and will planning on experimenting with some of your suggestions.

didn't catch the "one a day" reference - thanks for explaining. My ob has had me on the women's for a couple years now. All kinds of good stuff in them suckers. Note to fellow female / the PD from the Douglasville - don't know regarding the tri aspect - but if you don't take a one a day a prenatal vitamin (don't have to be expecting) is a super source of all the nutrients us ladies need.
2009-01-04 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1885539

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-01-04 4:45 PM

Here is a great recipe for peanut butter granola bars. Inspired by Robin Hood  home baking book.

Preheat oven to 325F (160 C)

8 inch (2L) square cake pan, greased. Note: We double the following recipe, which you would use a long rectangular pan instead. Temperature remains the same.

Crust:

1/2 cup Robin Hood All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Flour                                     125ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                   125ml

3 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                45ml

1/4 tsp baking powder                                                                                           1ml

3  tbsp  butter, melted                                                                                         45ml

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, melted                                                                                           50ml

2 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                  30ml

2 tbsp honey                                                                                                         30ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                     125ml

1/2 cup finely chopped nuts                                                                                 125ml

1/3 cup  flaked coconut                                                                                          75ml

1/4 cup  sunflower seeds                                                                                       50ml

1/4 cup raisins                                                                                                        50ml

1. Crust: Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder  in a medium bowl. Add melted butter. Mix Well. Press firmly into a prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden at edges and set.

2. Topping: Combine melted butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Add oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds and raisins. Mix well. Spread mixture over crust. Press down gently.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until golden and set. Cool completely in pan on rack, then cut into bars.

Variations

Use any nuts you have on hand or a combination of them. Just be sure they are finely chopped to make cutting the bars easier. We actually omit them completely if we don't have them on hand.

We also use peanut butter in this recipe in both the crust and topping.(this is a must in my opinion)

Replace the raisins with dried cranberries, chopped pitted dates or chopped dried apricots. 

enjoy

Cool! Thanks Nate! I will give it a shot next weekend. I wish I had some to share. I will ask my training partners.

Tony

2009-01-04 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1885372

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ryan90 - 2009-01-04 2:13 PM

i've seen commercials for it but havn't seen it in stores yet.

I looked up results for the iron abe and stone abe....

and decided that a top 3 in my age group for the stone abe sprint dist. is attainable.... and much cooler.so i am tweaking my training plans for a shorter but more instense blowout race..... which also takes a little tension off of my schedule compared to the olympic...

Awesome! When is/are the races?

Tony
2009-01-04 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1885870

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I know we are all busy but still need to eat correctly (most of the time) so...

-What are some things we can do to ensure we are getting what we need?

-What are some time saving measures that help with food prep?

-Any good snacks out there that are fairly inexpensive, portable, and good for us?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-04 8:45 PM
2009-01-04 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1885949

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Any additional New Year's resolutions or goals?

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-04 8:46 PM
2009-01-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1885951

Expert
Atlanta, GA
tribesman - 2009-01-04 9:40 PM

swise - 2009-01-04 8:47 PM

YEAH! Thanks for the recipe. Seems simple enough. Can't wait to try out.

Is there a new topic this week or are we still on nutrition? Picked up some whey protein (it was on sale so actually worked out to be cheaper than the soy) and will planning on experimenting with some of your suggestions.

didn't catch the "one a day" reference - thanks for explaining. My ob has had me on the women's for a couple years now. All kinds of good stuff in them suckers. Note to fellow female / the PD from the Douglasville - don't know regarding the tri aspect - but if you don't take a one a day a prenatal vitamin (don't have to be expecting) is a super source of all the nutrients us ladies need. [/QUOTE

Sandy,

Let's chat a little more about nutrition but I will also toss out another topic soon. I believe nutrition is very important for life and training/racing.

Re vitamins, I take the Men's version and it is great too!

Thanks,
Tony
2009-01-04 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Request...
This thread in general and the nutrition thread are pretty long.  Can we try to make sure the topic of replies, and of the thread, is about the topic of the post (e.g. "Nutrition" so it's easier to navigate all of the responses?  Thanks and happy Sunday!

2009-01-05 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

How was everyone's training this weekend?

I got a good ride in on Saturday and ran with my wife on Sunday.  Good stuff overall.  Had to recover from Thursday's race.

2009-01-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1885943

tribesman - 2009-01-04 8:34 PM

Awesome! When is/are the races? Tony

July 25th

Regarding food. I like the nature valley fruit and nut trail mix bars. I graze on those all day and we buy them in bulk at sams. I also go to restauraunt supply stores and buy cases of payday bars. (not so much anymore though)

2009-01-05 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Trainer Mileage

I'm trying to figure out a way to track my mileage on my bike trainer, which does not have a speed/odometer built-in.  Any ideas?  My goal is to have everything related to the trainer stay with the trainer (I already have a wireless computer on my front wheel) and minimize permanent weight on the bike and time reconfiguring things for indoor vs. outdoor use.

My initial thought is to get a wired CatEye and mount the magnet to the back wheel and the receiver to the trainer directly.

Thanks!

Steve

2009-01-05 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1882559

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: nutrition

I eat about 6 times a day on a diet my nutritionist setup:

Breakfast: either cereal+milk or egg+toast (7g protien, 15g carb's)
Snack: fruit
Lunch: salad or sandwich or sushi (21g protein, 30g carb's)
Snack: fruit with 7g protein
Dinner: (21g protein, 30g carb's)
Snack: 15g carb's (like a Healthy Choice bar)

All the fruit and vegie's I want, anytime.

I also take B complex, C and D in the morning as well as 1-2 "doses" of FRS during the day, and 1-3 cups of green tea.

On race day I'll have cereal and milk for breakfast and so far it's been GU gel's and GU20 for hydration.  Afterward (and after a hard workout) I'll have Cytomax recovery or a bar (in 1:4 protein:carbs ratio).  Usually after training I'll have a glass of chocolate milk, after 1.5 hours of weights I'll have 2 glasses.  Water during a 1-hour workout, GU20 if more than 1 hour.

Caffeine works miracles on my performance/endurance.

I've found that nutrition is key to weight loss: you can eat all you want if you exercise like crazy and still get nowhere.  All-protein diets don't work long-term and can mess you up.  Best bet is to visit a nutritionist and get a personalized plan, it is not that expensive (mine was about $140 for the first visit and $40 for a follow-up) and I don't have to count calories, just types of food.

Edited by Steve Mark 2009-01-05 4:33 PM
2009-01-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1885949

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-01-04 9:38 PM

I know we are all busy but still need to eat correctly (most of the time) so...

-What are some things we can do to ensure we are getting what we need?

-What are some time saving measures that help with food prep?

-Any good snacks out there that are fairly inexpensive, portable, and good for us?

Tony

1) I guess the thing I need to be more mindful of is the crap that comes into my house via husband and kids. I don't often want what they like to eat - but I do occasionally find myself grabbing a couple oreos.

2) We try (TRY) to plan out meals when we grocery shop - so that we know what we are having during the week and are less inclined to just go to Waffle House b/c can't decide what to cook.

3) I go to Kroger and buy the individual bars from the organic food / health food section. Many aren't organic but I feel somewhat more secure in buying from this area of the store. Plus, by purchasing individually I can sample before I get 6-10 of the same thing. Kroger is great about putting these on sale (probably b/c there are only a handful of us that buy 'em) so I don't buy it unless on sale. and if something I really like gets super cheap I stock up. Aside from that I also like the South Beach cereal bars which have a decent amount of protein in them.

2009-01-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1887670

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Trainer Mileage
Steve Mark - 2009-01-05 5:25 PM

I'm trying to figure out a way to track my mileage on my bike trainer, which does not have a speed/odometer built-in.  Any ideas?  My goal is to have everything related to the trainer stay with the trainer (I already have a wireless computer on my front wheel) and minimize permanent weight on the bike and time reconfiguring things for indoor vs. outdoor use.

My initial thought is to get a wired CatEye and mount the magnet to the back wheel and the receiver to the trainer directly.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

Your option should work re the CatEye or many other wired brands. I know CateEye makes a wireless version too but it would be a little more expensive. Ironically, I am working on the same issue this winter! Let us know what you come up with!

Tony
2009-01-05 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1887737

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Trainer Mileage
I've got the wireless version now, but it's on the front wheel, has a low tx-rx range, and needs line-of-sight, so that won't work for the rear wheel.  The wired option should work, but I may have to work out some sort of quick clip-on thing so it's easy to setup (like gluing the computer to a chip-clip and attaching that to my brake cables or something while I'm on the trainer.  It would have been much better to put the transmitter on the back wheel and give it enough range, but that might interfere with other cyclists.
2009-01-05 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Had a good workout weekend, one day of biking and one of running, taking today off. Just so you all know when you are looking at my logs the biking is all done on a trainer and running on a treadmill. This will proably continue untill April. We are in the snow belt here in Barrie and have had close to 4 feet of snow fall so far this year. I dislike running in the cold so I will wait till its above 5c and the ice and snow is gone.

On my bike trainer I dont record the milage, it is not the same as when I ride outdoors so I just ignore it and use my heart rate. I know outdoors I can ride 30 - 32 km per hr on average (upto 34km in races) but on the setup downstairs I cant maintain that speed for more then 30 seconds. If i losen the setup the bike doesn`t ride properly.

2009-01-06 5:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
Subject: RE: nutrition thread

Re: nutrition thread

So the last two days are a tiny bit better but waay bad compared to where I need to be.  I am making better choices but still have family in the house (left over from holidays and my family are partiers who drink and eat waay bad food) They leave tonight so I think it will get better.  I am going to Obama's inaug ball and have a skinny black dress I have to fit into so i am extra motivated to get it together the next two weeks.  i find when i have short term targets like a party or something it helps me eat better.  Same with tri.  When I have an uncoming race as target it helps me keep focused on the training.

Funny story about zone 1 run.  I went for an hour and half z1 run sunday.  My 75 year old dad went with me.  He WALKED while I jogged next to him.  That is how slow my Z1 run is...Or maybe it just shows that my 75 year old dad (who is big partier and eats terribly but who was avid athlete all his life) is one heck of a fast walker!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17