BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring mentor group- FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2098533

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring mentor group- FULL!!!!
another thought, but for running, the tech shirts like they hand out at races chafe a lot less then a lot of running tops with thicker weave simply because the fabric is much thinner/finer

2009-04-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2069915

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
i bought a shirt from pearl izumi that is not quite a shirt and not quite a jersey.  I think it's one of those shirts they say to use for spinning classes but I use it for running because i've never felt any sort of chafing on my nips (even on my longer runs) and yes i'll admit that with a normal cotton shirt mine can get pretty sensitive.

on a side note do any of you fellow groupers have any interesting stories about where you lodged pre-race?  I'm looking at my money situation for this year and I may be driving to Steelhead and sleeping in my car and trying to convince my fiance to maybe just come up early that day of and try to meet up around T2.
2009-04-20 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2098844

User image

Champion
i have slept the night before a race in:

the car
next to the car in a sleeping bag
in a tent
in a tent next to the car
in a tent in someones backyard
in a giant beanbag in someones basement
hotel (rarely:-(
on the floor in someones basement
on countless other floors and couches

as you can see its the name of the game for me;-)
2009-04-20 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2096862

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
Experior - 2009-04-20 10:46 AM Hi Everyone.  In case you find it helpful, I avoided work this morning and created a little table with everyone's name and a link to his logs.  I'd paste it here, but this editor mucks up the links when I do that, so if you want it, just copy and paste it from my training log to yours and it should work for you.

Thanks I did it and it worked great, it's gonna be very useful !!!!

GOOD JOB,    ANDRES
2009-04-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2098533

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

David/Michael - Thanks for the feedback.  The longest run I have done so far is 6.5 miles.  I don't think I'll be doing anything long enough to bloody my nips anytime soon Smile 

I'm going to try out the tri gear this weekend without any body glide and see how it goes.  Some of my friends and I are doing a practice tri Saturday morning. 

2009-04-22 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
well i tried to gingerly bring it up and the 'ol lady was very much opposed to me sleeping in the car.  She thought it'd negatively effect my performance the next day.  Her response was just "we'll get a hotel... we'll get a hotel".

Guess that settles that.

Has everyone else been enjoying the nice weather?  Or at least I hope you've all been having nice weather.

2009-04-22 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
So far I've gotten a cheap hotel/motel each time, though I plan to camp for my HIM in May.

Yeah, the weather here is pretty nice right now, though my ride today was REALLY windy.  I guess that's normal this time of year.  I'll take the wind over the 100 degree/100% humidity days, which will be here all too soon...

I experienced a cramp in my quad today for the first time ever.  (I've had 4 or 5 in my calf while swimming.)  It hurt!  I think it might have been a nutrition issue, so I suppose I need to get serious about learning nutrition while racing for more than a couple of hours.  If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'm all ears.
2009-04-22 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2104159

User image

Champion
a lot of times the deep muscle cramps are not nurition but fitness issues, either too much stress for fitness level or simply not having the fitness you think there.

fire off any questions you have (either nutrition or other) and i'll see what i can answer.

its finally gonna be nice here from tomorrow out. 70s and 80s :-)

gonna hit a nice hard 65 miler tomorrow, give it a shot at race pace and see where thing stand now that its warm!
2009-04-23 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2104408

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
newbz - 2009-04-23 12:52 AM a lot of times the deep muscle cramps are not nurition but fitness issues, either too much stress for fitness level or simply not having the fitness you think there.

That certainly makes sense.  Yesterday's workout was one of the harder efforts that I've put in for that length of time (a run-bike-run brick of around 3.5 hours total).  I found it odd because the cramp was my left quad while everything else felt great -- and my RIGHT leg is by far the weaker of the two (due to surgery).  Maybe I was overcompensating with the left...

But yeah, here's a nutrition question:  Assuming that the gut is indifferent between these choices (mine apparently is, at least in the sense that neither causes me gastric distress), would you prefer to see someone take in a few relatively large amounts of calories a few times, or smaller amounts many times?  Or does it make a difference?  I've tended towards the former, just because I find eating on the bike so da*n inconvenient.
2009-04-23 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Subject: swim strategy question

I'm doing a practice tri this weekend with some friends.  400yd pool swim, 13m bike, 3.3m run.  Since it's just practice times don't really matter, but I would like to beat my friends if possible. 

Question about the swim...My best time for 400yd swim is about 7 minutes.  At that pace I am REALLY tired coming out of the pool.  Normally hanging on to the edge of the pool to help stand up after I finish. Laughing   If I do the 400 in 8 minutes I feel a lot fresher at the end and have no problem hopping right out of the pool.  Is it better to give up a minute in the swim to go through T1 quicker and get up to speed on the bike faster or go all out in the swim and just try to stumble through T1?

cliff

2009-04-23 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
the shorter the distance of race you're doing the more important each leg is.  I'd say depending on how competitive your friends are that minute early out of the pool may be a minute that one of your friends can't chase you down on the bike.

Although 13 miles is a bit of a distance for a stronger cyclist to form a gap that will be impossible to overcome on the 3 mile run.  On the other hand, if coming out of the water 1 minute later and much more ready to race you may have a stronger bike.  Tough decision.  I'd say go all out in the water but that's just because i'm a swimmer.

2009-04-23 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
A few observations (from a true NON-expert!):

1.  I swam too conservatively in my two sprints this year.  I was always going to give up some time to the field on the swim -- I'm slower then them -- but I gave up too much.  I was able to make some of it up on the bike and run, but not enough to place (in my AG).  I regret not going a bit harder in the swim.,

2.  A minute is a long time in a sprint tri.

3.  There's quite a lot between 7:00 and 8:00 for a 400yd swim.  If you really can't even stand on your own two feet at the 1:45/1000 pace, but you feel fine at the 2:00/100 pace, you might try going somewhere in between.

4.  The whole thing will be over in about an hour, so you can afford to go very hard indeed.  But if you really can't stand up on your own after swimming the 7:00, then don't.  On the other hand, if it just means you'll be a little disoriented during T1, then I think it's no problem.  If you've rehearsed your transitions, then I think you can afford to be a little cloudy during them.  It'll pass pretty quickly once you get on the bike.
2009-04-24 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Ok it is Fri....so who is racing this weekend??

Chris

2009-04-24 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Katy
another first-timer question here....

for a sprint is there any need/benefit to nutrition supplementation during the event?  gel, etc?

thanks!
2009-04-24 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2107747

User image

Champion
ok going to try and hit all the questions here:

eating on the bike: i prefer smaller amounts constantly because it allows your stomach to evenly empty and never be full at one time, big amounts at once can it off, and the harder you are going the slower/less you can take in, so what wokrs in training may backfire at race speeds.

sprint swims: personally i go as hard as i can, ie swim it like the swim is a TT, i normally come out of the water a bit dizzy and feeling like i am going to puke. for me the time lost slowly down is not worth it. but you need to decide on your fitness level and see where you can make up/lose time and be ok. also your race goals will effect this some.
the better your overall fitness teh closer to your open times you can come and still race well.

nutrition for sprints:
if you are going to be done in under 1:30-1:50 nothing is needed really. that said, i normally take a bit of water or something like watered down redbull for the caffiene (never do this first time on race day), and for the taste. water is not really needed, but for me at race speeds i really just need something to keep my mouth wet/not choke.

races under an hour nothing is needed at all, and water at those speeds might make you throw up.
2009-04-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2107556

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
chrisrunzs26 - 2009-04-24 9:55 AM

Ok it is Fri....so who is racing this weekend??

Chris

Me! I have an Oly tomorrow.  It's the first of three weekends racing straight, and the third is a much more important race for me (HIM), so I am not tapering or anything for this race.  Indeed, I trashed my legs the other day.  So...it'll be interesting.

2009-04-24 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
David,

Thanks for the reply.  What you say definitely makes sense.  So, I'll work on smaller amounts more often.  I probably need to get better at making less of a production of getting the food out and eating it on the bike.
2009-04-25 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Good luck to you Michael !!!  Can't wait for the RR.

Also good luck to anyone else racing this weekend. In this part of Ohio at least it is supposed to be great weather wise.

I am going out to ride with Jen (Jungle Jenn) in the Shawnee Forest. We will be doing one poss. 2 loop of the 1/2 Iron TTT race course. I was supposed to to this yesterday but wimped out due to it being excessively windy. Yes, I know it can get windy on race day but I have a little wile till I race and I didn't want to get blown off the bike one of the first few times out.

Everyone  have a great weekend!

Chris

2009-04-25 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Good luck to the racers this weekend.  Looking forward to your reports.

Although I'm in my last week of couch to 5k running plan, had to get out on my ancient Raleigh Technium (aluminum) that I bought in '86.  Had it refurbished a few years ago, but she runs pretty well for a 20+ year old bike.  It was a blast to be out there, and a few other riders on Beach Drive in the DC area.  Hope I did not commit any fauz pas.  Monday, I begin the 20 week beginner olympic plan.

My fore/aft seat position seems to be off.  Kept trying to force myself backward to stay on the wider part of the seat rather than the horn.  Have to figure that one out.

2009-04-25 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Thanks for the racing well-wishes.  Things went OK, and most important it was a good experience for me, especially the open-water swim part (which I had done only once previously, and not in a mass swim start).

Race report here.  Short version:  (a) I can't swim; (b) drafters should be burned at the stake.

Edited by Experior 2009-04-25 2:31 PM
2009-04-26 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Michael,

Nice race report. On the Swim I think it took me a whole season to swim in a straight line. I pull to the right also. I swear the first few races I did I think I swam 2X's farther than the race distance. You'll get it down soon with all your racing in the next few weeks. Sorry about the peloton in the race. I wish they would just pull them off course when they are that blatant about it. Not newbies that don't know better or just get stuck in line with someone they can't pass and can't slow down enough to stay out of the zone. Is this your first race of the season?? It was good and just think how great you'll be at the next one now that you have this one under your belt. Have a great recovery day and a good week.

Chris

2009-04-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2111103

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
chrisrunzs26 - 2009-04-26 3:50 PM

Michael,

Nice race report. On the Swim I think it took me a whole season to swim in a straight line. I pull to the right also. I swear the first few races I did I think I swam 2X's farther than the race distance. You'll get it down soon with all your racing in the next few weeks. Sorry about the peloton in the race. I wish they would just pull them off course when they are that blatant about it. Not newbies that don't know better or just get stuck in line with someone they can't pass and can't slow down enough to stay out of the zone. Is this your first race of the season?? It was good and just think how great you'll be at the next one now that you have this one under your belt. Have a great recovery day and a good week.

Chris

Thanks!  Not my first race.  Third of the season (and of my life...).  I did two sprints (pool swim) earlier.  Next week is another OWS, but a sprint.  Then HIM.  I'm really anxious about the HIM because my swim training has been severely hampered by a shoulder problem, and I've swum that distance (straight) only a few times.
2009-04-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2111649

User image

Champion
practice swimming with your eyes closed a bit and you'll quickly start to see which way you drift, it will help a ton come open water.
2009-04-27 3:43 PM

User image

Regular

Hello again all,

I have my very first tri next weekend and i'm getting the nerves as expected. Not to mention my goal is to place within my age group. This being my first I expect to run into issues I had not thought up being a newbie and all but i've researched as much as possible and read lots of race reports to try and keep the number of mistakes down to a min. Overall I think i'm ready, it is only a sprint. Question on the pre race meal. Odds are i'll be camping out on the lake where the race is. What are some good pre race meals to take with me and any last minute advise from everyone???

Thanks and wish me luck

Jeff

2009-04-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2099640

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

cscottjr - 2009-04-21 10:51 AM

I'm going to try out the tri gear this weekend without any body glide and see how it goes.  Some of my friends and I are doing a practice tri Saturday morning. 

My practice tri went great this weekend.  Did the swim in 6:55 and hopped right out of the pool.  Must have been the adrenaline of trying to beat my friends. 

I did have a problem on the run.  My calves cramped right when I started.  Probably 20 steps into the run.  Every step I took they would cramp (both legs).  I had to walk about 1/4 mile and then I was finally able to run.  Has anyone had that problem?  Any thoughts on what caused it?

I don't think it was hydration.  I drank a lot the day before and also had at least a bottle while biking.  I did go a lot harder than I normally ride on the bike trying to catch someone ahead of me, but I have done several bricks while training this spring and never had any cramping problems so it really surprised me.   

thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring mentor group- FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 10