Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 20s
Overall Rank = 34/145
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Simple breakfast (toast, yogurt, fruit). Didn't sleep enough...
Event warmup:

Very little warm-up, because I was running late. I ran about 1/2 mile, and swam about 100m. I would have liked to wake up my legs a bit more with a little riding, but there was no time.
Swim
  • 30m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

OK, so I suck at sighting and swimming straight. That became clear. It seems that I pull to the right, which (since this was a counter-clockwise swim) kept pulling me wide of the course. I think I managed to turn 1500m into 1700m. I felt fairly comfortable the whole time. I had a few 'tussles' with other swimmers, but no kicks in the face or the like. I didn't swim super hard. Since my swim training has been so spotty lately, my only real goal was to finish and get on to the bike. The actual swim time was less because there was a bit of a run to the timing mat (and quite a run after that to T1).
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to sight? Learn how to swim straight?
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

This was not the greatest T1, although not as bad as it looks, because there was a LONG run to T1 after the swim timing mat. Wetsuit came off fine. I don't really think the Body Glide did anything for me. I'll probably forget about it next time. I didn't do the flying mount because I was really close to the exit, and the bike started with a hill right off the bat.

Screwed around a bit too much.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I managed to forget to turn the Garmin on, so I was riding without the targeting computer. I also forgot the straw to the aero bottle. Fortunately, I noticed that before the event started and put a water bottle on the bike, so this was only a minor inconvenience, and the least of my frustrations. Early in loop 1, on the climb, I passed what can only be called a paceline. They caught back up to me, still riding as a pack, about 3/4 the way through the loop, then, once they passed me, immediately slowed down. Very annoying. Individually, I was faster than them (as far as I can tell), but to get around them collectively, I had to ease up for a minute to gather some strength. Then I went past them. They passed me (still as a pack, though I think they had dropped two riders at that point) again, right before the climb (on loop 2). These guys knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and seemed to think it funny, and I was extremely pissed off at this point. Just then, the draft marshal showed up and nailed them. Apparently the marshal didn't nail the guy in the front of the pack (who ended up with one of the 'fastest' bike times) because technically at that moment he wasn't drafting. They knew they were booked, so I figured that I only needed to pass them one more time, and the climb was a good place to do it. One of them -- the only truly strong rider among them (and the one who didn't get booked), hung with me enough to pass me right at the end. At that point, I kept him in sight, but let him go, hoping to pass on the run (which is in fact what happened).

These guys really ruined my ride. 2:00 penalty is not enough. They should be flogged. They were not a bunch of clueless newbies -- they knew exactly what they were doing. Mr. fast even tried to joke with me about it on the run, but I was in no mood to joke. They caused me some time on the bike, and forced me to do some accelerations that I shouldn't have had to do. (If it were one person who did this to me, then fine; but doing it as a paceline really made me mad. I think I'm still angry about it, which is silly, but it is what it is...).

Probably I didn't go hard enough, which is a theme for me on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

A decent transition. Still for some reason I feel compelled to buckle the running belt while standing at the rack. Just grab it and go!
Run
  • 41m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little slow at first -- I ran the first three miles at 7:00/mile -- but around mile 3 someone passed me and that woke me up. He was faster than me, but I was able to use him as a rabbit, and kept him in sight all the way to the end. So it turned out to be a decent time.

Be willing to push a little earlier. Drink better.
Post race
Event comments:

I liked this race. I just wish I could swim! I give up too much time on the swim to be competitive in my AG.

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:37 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/23
Overall: 67/145
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:40 | 24 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 38/145
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat with a nice climbing section near the beginning of the loop, and a super-fast downhill section towards the end of the loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:58 | 06.21 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 23/145
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat, with a few out-and-backs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-25 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Langley Pond Triathlon

2009-04-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2109903

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: RE: Langley Pond Triathlon
Hey ~  Great race.  I was down there too.  Not as fast as you, but I was there.
2009-04-25 3:56 PM

User image

Elite

Nice race. Good effort.

2009-04-25 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Thanks guys.  It was a good time.
2009-04-26 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
hey nice race!

I agree that drafting penalties are adequate for one person trying to make their own life easier but for a pack operating as a group ride then it's just straight out cheating.  They should have been given a much steeper penalty or at worst a DQ... i know i know DQ's are harsh but seriously, if I had been out there and they were laughing along the way because of their cheating then it's just a kick in everyone elses face which goes against the spirit of the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Triathlon Rss Feed