BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-01-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2591018

User image

Subject: RE: Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed
Wow Steve!  Sounds like you had an interesting day yesterday.  Repeat after me, I love my job.  I love my job!  I understand those kinds of days--especially working in special ed.

Today is a scheduled day off for me.  I have a massage scheduled in a few hours that I am looking forward to! 

I finished off week 1 of the couch to 5k program.  Hooray for me!  Looking forward to week 2.

2010-01-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2604912

User image

Expert

Baowolf - 2010-01-09 12:46 PM

Check out this very funy race report if you haven't seen it before: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5749137/

There is a lot of information, social, tri, etc. 

That is too funny.  Thanks for the link!   My favorite was the "I just wanted all my spilts . . ."  I do race timing and I actually get those people that think I should just give them their splits after the race, you know when I am trying to get results for awards, pack up all my stuff, etc., etc.!

2010-01-09 4:47 PM

User image

Fort Worth
I got the sick.  I don't think I got it from my daughter, though.  She has strep and the doc says I have an upper respiratory infection.  I think I got it from running outdoors in the cold a few days ago.  Back to the treadmill for me.  The good news is that I feel great except when I swallow or try to sleep.  Made it through the run today and was really pumped.  My wife surprised me by kicking it into an extra gear I didn't know she had.  I'm really proud of her.  Bless her heart.  I'm dragging her along for this wild ride.  One day last month I told her, "I want to run a triathlon and want to warm up for it by running a 5K.  By the way, You're gonna run that 5K with me." She's never run a mile before in her life and she just "OK, where do I sign up?"  

Here's what I have on tap for next week:
Sunday - Bike 45 min
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Swim 200 meters, Run 20 min
Wednesday - Bike 45 min
Thursday - Swim 300 meters, Walk? 30 min
Friday - Off
Saturday -Run 30
2010-01-09 9:31 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have actually worked with this student for about 7 years now.  This was the worst day in about 5 years.  Her father thinks that the mother (divorced) forgot to give the child her meds.  The student is actually hugely improved from back then when there were about 100 act of aggession to staff and property daily.   In general the staff is harder to work with than the student.  They all know everything so can't learn new strategies very well.  They are also hugely into punishment and not so into reinforcement.  I do have some newer staff this year, but still have to work with the principal who would rather just send the student to a facility for the rest of the student's life.  Educators tend to have very little tollerance for anything that is hard, behavior, learning problems, etc.  For me it is a challenge and keeps things interesting.  If you are wrong, you end up getting hit, keeps ya on your toes.     
2010-01-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2605205

User image

Expert

FWSquatch - 2010-01-09 4:47 PM I got the sick.  I don't think I got it from my daughter, though.  She has strep and the doc says I have an upper respiratory infection.  I think I got it from running outdoors in the cold a few days ago.  Back to the treadmill for me.  The good news is that I feel great except when I swallow or try to sleep.  Made it through the run today and was really pumped.  My wife surprised me by kicking it into an extra gear I didn't know she had.  I'm really proud of her.  Bless her heart.  I'm dragging her along for this wild ride.  One day last month I told her, "I want to run a triathlon and want to warm up for it by running a 5K.  By the way, You're gonna run that 5K with me." She's never run a mile before in her life and she just "OK, where do I sign up?"  

Here's what I have on tap for next week:
Sunday - Bike 45 min
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Swim 200 meters, Run 20 min
Wednesday - Bike 45 min
Thursday - Swim 300 meters, Walk? 30 min
Friday - Off
Saturday -Run 30

I love going on this crazy journey with my husband!  Hope you are feeling better!

2010-01-10 12:26 PM

User image

Expert

I braved the cold today and got my 10 miler done, it's good to be back in the 'distance' again.  Now, if it was a little faster . . . sheesh, there's always something isn't there!

2010-01-10 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hi everyone! I've been camping the last two days, so I was just catching up on here! I got in a nice run yesterday. Ran around our campground (Doheny) then ran through a park and around the Dana Point Marina. Saw a sealion! Always a plus! I did just under 2 miles, which is the longest I've done since last summer. Many injuries have sidelined my running lately, so it felt good to get in a good run. Plan today is a bike ride and I should do another run, though I usually never run on back to back days. I will ride, then maybe do a super short run, or nix it if I feel like I could injure something.

Here are my plans this week:

Mon - master's swim
Tue - run 29
Wed - master's swim
Thu - bike 40
Fri - run 38
Sat - bike 50
Sun - run 48

As for races, I'd hoped to do the Surf City 5k next month, but tried to register the day after it sold out! There is another 5k in Redondo that day, so I may do that instead. In March, I'm doing the Desert Sprint Tri, just to get my tri mojo back. Then I'm doing my first 10k at the Coaster run in April...if I stay injury free!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2010-01-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2605992

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Went out and did a 4.1 miler today.  Can't beleive how much time I've lost to this calf injury, 1/2 Mary is in 3.5 weeks.  Just going to go into it on a peak build week with the 1/2 being the long run for the week and forget about any time goal, it's be a PR regardless! Hope y'al had a great weekend!
2010-01-10 7:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Did a 10 miler with a couple half mile downhills to work those quads a bit.  The mary next week has a 3.5 mile downhill at about a 6 percent grade at the beginng to soften you up for the rest of the course.  It was a pleasant 45F today and the footing was not as muddy as it has been for the past week or so.   

2010-01-10 9:30 PM

NE Texas
Haven't posted in a bit. By the looks of things everyone has been busy in one fashion or another. I have made all my workouts for the week and got in a few extra strength/core workouts. It is has been unseasonably cold here so everything has been on the treadmill and trainer. Next week workout will be as follows.Monday - Bike - 90 minsTuesday - Run - 40 mins. - Swim - 40 mins. - Strength/core - 40 mins.Wednesday - Bike - 60 mins. - Run - 30 mins.Thursday - Swim - 30 mins. - Strength/core - 40 mins.Friday - Run - 60 mins.Saturday - Swim - 30 mins. - Bike - 45 mins.Sunday - Core/Strength - 40 mins.I love the posts. You guys are fun and motivating.James

Edited by Shinka 2010-01-10 9:33 PM
2010-01-11 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2606733

User image

Expert

Shinka - 2010-01-10 9:30 PM Haven't posted in a bit. By the looks of things everyone has been busy in one fashion or another. I have made all my workouts for the week and got in a few extra strength/core workouts. It is has been unseasonably cold here so everything has been on the treadmill and trainer. Next week workout will be as follows.Monday - Bike - 90 minsTuesday - Run - 40 mins. - Swim - 40 mins. - Strength/core - 40 mins.Wednesday - Bike - 60 mins. - Run - 30 mins.Thursday - Swim - 30 mins. - Strength/core - 40 mins.Friday - Run - 60 mins.Saturday - Swim - 30 mins. - Bike - 45 mins.Sunday - Core/Strength - 40 mins.I love the posts. You guys are fun and motivating.James

Looks like a great week.  I am not a big fan of the cold but I really hate the treadmill so I layer it up for that and sufffer inside for trainer rides.

I will be spending the day packing today, leaving early tomorrow for Costa Rica - I will leave it up to you guys to keep our thread up and running - I expect to have a lot to catch up on when I return! 

Good luck on the Marathon Steve - a 6% downhill for a marathon is just plain mean!!!  Have a great race!!!

2010-01-11 1:20 PM

User image

Expert

Where is everybody today?  I haven't even left yet and we are almost page 2!!  I didn't get my workout in today, Paul didn't get home for lunch and the rest of hte day was spent packing and doing last minuite travel stuff!  Oh well, plenty of hiking, running etc. for the next week!  Huray for vacation!!!!!

2010-01-11 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2607916

User image

Port Kent, NY
katimomma - 2010-01-11 1:20 PM

Where is everybody today?  I haven't even left yet and we are almost page 2!!  I didn't get my workout in today, Paul didn't get home for lunch and the rest of hte day was spent packing and doing last minuite travel stuff!  Oh well, plenty of hiking, running etc. for the next week!  Huray for vacation!!!!!

Have a Great Vacation Kati!!!
2010-01-11 3:46 PM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Well Friday I got in the pool and it wasn't to bad!!! My husband drove me a little nutty because he kept telling me about everything I'm doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't do anything Saturday which was my scheduled day off and sunday I was suppose to spin but just didn't work out to much planned all in one day! Today however I got my run in and I was able to do the full time that I schedule!!! YEAH for me, and the baby is still sleeping...

Hope everyone had a good day!!
2010-01-11 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Swimming is sooo anoying.  Why does the body not just know what to do or at least do what you tell it to do?  Your comment about getting told everything you were doing wrong gave me flashbacks to my 2 day TI workshop where I first learned freestyle.  Teacher... so do you know what your legs are doing.... um not the right thing?  Did you notice that you did not get any air on that attempt to breath... um ya..any suggestions?  They should really put people up on weight benches with a central pivot  and move them through the stroke with the rotation set for the right amount....   Hrm, I bet I could market that. 

Well grats on getting your workout in and thank heavon for sleeping babies. 
2010-01-11 8:31 PM

User image

I started Week 2 of the Couch to 5K.  I made is through the first run and it wasn't terrible.  It's great to see small progress!   I have also been doing the core workout that Donto linked in earlier and it's pretty challenging for me.  I really like it though and going to stick with it.

I got fitted for real running shoes this weekend.  Who knew that I have high arches and tend to over-pronate while running?  Not me!  So along with the shoes, I got some great inserts.  I definitely noticed a difference with the run today.   I should have done that a long time ago!

2010-01-11 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2608345

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I'M SO SORE! Tongue out

Yesterday I was a pawn in my son's science experiment to finish up his data collection.  He's doing his experiment on exercise type and the HR effect.  He picked out Wii tennis, Jumping Jacks, Wii boxing and Running, all for 10 min with 15 min rest before doing the next exercise.  The jumping jacks weren't so bad doing them, but when I did my run, which the first 10min were for the experiment, I was feeling them.  I truly can't remember the last time I did jumping jacks for any period of time.  Holy cow, my calf's and inner thighs are so sore today, I mean touch and ouch sore! slow to move at first sore!

Came back to the office this evening to do some catch up and stopped at the local running store and picked up a foam roller.  Not sure what the different colors mean right now, all they had were blue one.  I need to research on how to use this thing.  Youtube here I come.

Anyone use a foam roller?  Any tips?
2010-01-11 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2608794

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Donto - 2010-01-11 9:40 PM I'M SO SORE! Tongue out

Yesterday I was a pawn in my son's science experiment to finish up his data collection.  He's doing his experiment on exercise type and the HR effect.  He picked out Wii tennis, Jumping Jacks, Wii boxing and Running, all for 10 min with 15 min rest before doing the next exercise.  The jumping jacks weren't so bad doing them, but when I did my run, which the first 10min were for the experiment, I was feeling them.  I truly can't remember the last time I did jumping jacks for any period of time.  Holy cow, my calf's and inner thighs are so sore today, I mean touch and ouch sore! slow to move at first sore!

Came back to the office this evening to do some catch up and stopped at the local running store and picked up a foam roller.  Not sure what the different colors mean right now, all they had were blue one.  I need to research on how to use this thing.  Youtube here I come.

Anyone use a foam roller?  Any tips?

This youtube Foam Roller video is a funny one!
2010-01-12 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2608777

User image

Port Kent, NY
christina322 - 2010-01-11 8:31 PM I started Week 2 of the Couch to 5K.  I made is through the first run and it wasn't terrible.  It's great to see small progress!   I have also been doing the core workout that Donto linked in earlier and it's pretty challenging for me.  I really like it though and going to stick with it.

I got fitted for real running shoes this weekend.  Who knew that I have high arches and tend to over-pronate while running?  Not me!  So along with the shoes, I got some great inserts.  I definitely noticed a difference with the run today.   I should have done that a long time ago!

Christina real running shoes are great aren't they!!!  Keep up the great work on the Couch to a 5K, pretty soon it will be easy just have to get through the hard part.  I'm a runner been running since I was in 5th grade.  running is my drug of choice, LOL!  Know if only I could feel that way about swimming....... 
2010-01-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2608777

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
christina322 - 2010-01-11 9:31 PM I started Week 2 of the Couch to 5K.  I made is through the first run and it wasn't terrible.  It's great to see small progress!   I have also been doing the core workout that Donto linked in earlier and it's pretty challenging for me.  I really like it though and going to stick with it.

That's awesome!  One step at a time (pun intended!).  So what brand shoe and model are you now using?

Make sure you're logging your workouts as it is a great feedback mechanism as time passes by.  How are you doing the core workout?  When I started I did 10 reps (or tired to) of each and knew which ones needed focus and which ones I could increase (like crunches).  Every week or so I would add reps to build.  When I get the reps up I split the exercise into 2 sets on some of the exercises.  Hip lifts, Side planks, bicycle crunches & twists (hurt my hips) for instance really stress my back so I'll split them in sets once I get past 20-25.
2010-01-12 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Moderately sad news today.  I looked at the weather forecast for the marathon I have coming up on Sunday..... in Redding CA.  It will be raining for two days prior to the race as well as on race day.  The opening 3.5 mile downhill is at roughly a 6 percent grade and steep enough that people fall on it when it is dry (also a paved hill at mile 21 that I have seen folks fall on when it is dry).  Temps should start out in the 30's and maybe get to the 40s.... with a 10 mph wind.  So after 4 1/2 months of marathon training.. hrm swimming is looking like a better choice than the marathon.  Sigh.  Rain is forecast for the 2 days after the race, so it looks like little chance of it blowing over.  Today's run also 40's and rain.  

On a side note, be careful of the inserts.  Running stores like to sell them, but if you do not actually have an injury that a doctor prescribes orthotics for, the arch support may do more harm than good, weakening your foot arch muscles and causing blisters under the arch of your foot.  You might want to read up on that before using the inserts.  As for the level of stability you need, that is typically accurate.     

2010-01-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2609519

User image

Fort Worth
Sorry to hear that Baowolf.  It stinks to train so hard and look forward to something that doesn't end up happening.

My morning swim was a humbling experience.  I got to the gym just a tad after 5:00 am and found both lanes of the pool taken up by an older woman and her daughter and they looked very out of shape--kinda like me.  Anyway, they were doing some water aerobics.  I thought, "No big deal, they'll get out of the way and I'll swim around them."  Then they started swimming laps.  And MAN COULD THEY SWIM!  They swam lap after lap in great form and didn't seem to tire a bit.  I was beside myself.  They made it look so effortless.  I was turning green with envy.  Finally, one of them stopped and allowed me to jump in and swim my workout.  I must have looked like a kid who just got his training wheels off (and needed them back on!)  I did my 200 yds sucking wind the whole time and got the heck out of there.  Then they went back to plying the waters without me.  I can't wait until I can swim like either one of them!

My afternoon run was a much better experience.  I'm really starting to get into the running.  All my life, I've hated running, but now I'm starting to look forward to my runs.  I really pushed myself tonight and now I have a tender spot on the side of my big toe.  I'm hoping it's nothing.  Tomorrow I hit the bike!
2010-01-13 10:03 AM

User image

Donto:  Last week I started the core workout and just did 1 set of 10 reps of all the exercises.  This week I increased my reps to 15 but am still doing 1 set.  Hopefully as I get stronger I will be able to increase my sets. 

Baowolf:  Thanks for the advice on the inserts.   I am starting to do some more research on the inserts debate.  My plan is to run without them today and see if I notice a difference.  We will see!

It was a rough night last night.  Sophia, my daughter, had me up twice.  I am planning on squeezing in a run this afternoon. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

2010-01-13 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Make sure you are not using cotton socks.  They will cause blisters, wicking socks are a must have.  Then you have thickness preferences in your socks.  This may help with the toe issue.  Sometimes you have to play with how tight you lace your shoes as well.  Sometime you just need to develop callouses 8).  

I have never had anyone laught at my swimming in the pool that I was aware of.  The only guy that I really thought needed some lessons was the guy who sat at the end of the lane giving people crap for 45 minutes and then swam one lap at about a 4:00 per 25 yard pace with the splash from his kick hitting the ceiling 50 feet above.  It was amazing to watch.  I think his kick actually propelled him backwards.  But it was more his giving everyone else flack that set my teeth on edge.  On the other hand, I have felt like everyone was looking at me in the pool often. 

No worries about the marathon, I will run it, it is just figuring out what to wear for it that has me indecisive.  I want to go bare bones, but am not sure I can run hot enough to stay warm.  It will all work out one way or another.  That is how we learn.  Either way it will help me with my prep for an IM that may well be cold and rainy and making decisions about what to wear.   

2010-01-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2611593

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Happy Hump day and good training y'all!

Good news for tomorrow, It'll be in the 70's ad I'll be able to wear shorts again! Wink

I have a trainer warm up and another short run this evening on tap.  I'm starting to get antsy about the run training, I need to ramp up my run mileage again but not over do it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 20