General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-09-28 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3111494

User image

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

1. Is this your first IM? yep and very excited

2. Have you done IMWI before? no

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? sub 13 hours.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? easy driving distance, and i have family in the area= free bed, free food, and free cheering.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? yes! i know how fast i am at the half iron distance, i know how fast i can do each individual distance, however i dont know how to accurately estimate a reasonable goal for an ironman.  any ideas?  half iron time x 2 + 20 percent? double half iron + 1 hour? some weird formula that i dont know?

Edited by JRPortmann 2010-09-28 6:31 PM

2010-09-28 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3119551

User image

F4rword - 2010-09-27 11:38 AM ... Anyone from TC's MN training for WI this fall want to start doing some training? Also, I will be doing some snowshoe racing this winter and doing some training of same, so if you want to get off the bike trainer and some outside training in on the s'shoes let me know.    

I am in ST. Louis Park and would love some one to ride/run with on the weekends.

2010-09-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3122551

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
PennState - 2010-09-28 5:50 PM
Very curious as to why you chose a compact. You rode under 5 hours which is the extreme FOP and I would have assumed a standard, but no way would I argue with your choice as you did so well! Would you consider a standard or do you really feel a compact is the ideal?Thanks in advance.

Feel free to make suggestions Fred.  I have plenty to learn and value your opinion. 

Using compacts is just based on feel for me.  I have standard cranks on my '88 road bike and compacts on my '08 tri bike.  My local training routes are similar to IMWI, and I've found that I prefer compact cranks on the hills.  The two things I like are the easier gearing for tough hills, and the fact that I can ride through most hills in the big ring.  I'm a conservative descender and rarely if ever feel spun out, so I don't see a downside.

Edited by wiky 2010-09-28 8:10 PM
2010-09-29 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN
 1. Is this your first IM? Yes and I'm excited, scared, nervous, anxious, is just me or if you've signed up and it's your first one, it seems to consume my thoughts.  It seems like it's playing into every decision I make throughout the day. 

2. Have you done IMWI before? No

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Not sure yet.  My plan is to start to build my base before my training plan starts in March.  I'll re-evaluate then and figure out what I think I'm capable of.  This will be the first season I'll take tris seriously (meaning I'll actually train and prepare for my races this season).

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? I live one state over in MN so it's an easy drive for me and my family.  My Dad and I volunteered this year as bike handlers in T1 and finish line catchers, a truly awesome experience.  Also several members of my local club will be there next year too.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? Yes, lots.  My biggest concern is nutrition.  I have two HIM planned for next season to practice it.

Looking forward to ?t?h?e? ?j?o?u?r?n?e?y??

2010-09-29 5:23 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
1. Is this your first IM? 3rd(LP,WI)

2. Have you done IMWI before? yes

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Not sure yet.Last time I did IMWI I did a couple of ultra's during the summer.I think I will skip those to see If I can go a little faster.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?The race venue is great. The crowds in Verona, the people on the terrace, the run downtown and on campus all great.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?I think that during training at the end of every descent I will come to a complete stop and then start riding again.Maybe that will help me with all the 90 degree turns at the base of each hill.The climbs didn't seem that difficult but the constant slowing down and speeding up was rough.
2010-09-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3124793

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-09-29 6:19 PM

Regular
United States
1. Is this your first IM?

No -- First on IMFL 2009

2. Have you done IMWI before?

No -- volunteered for the past four years

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?

Finish, enjoy the day, and maybe be faster than my first one.

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?

Its Madison, need I say more

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?
2010-09-30 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3124818

Regular
Colorado Springs
"Hey, do you mind me asking how you would compare LP to WI?
ie; differences in swim, bike and run course."

The swim at Lake Placid is crystal clear.WI has much more murky water.
The biggest difference on the bike is that at IMPL the climbs are long and steady with long run outs where you can carry speed.IMWI has short steep climbs that all seem to have a sharp turn at the end.It's hard to carry speed from hill to hill.I found the bike at IMWI more difficult due to this.
Both of the runs are hilly.
Crowd support is excellent at both races but I might give the edge to IMWI.It was pouring rain the year I did LP so the crowds may not have been as large.As has been said before IMWI may be as close as we mortals get to TDF feel.

Happy training.
2010-10-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3126694

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
newt - 2010-09-30 4:52 PM "Hey, do you mind me asking how you would compare LP to WI? ie; differences in swim, bike and run course." The swim at Lake Placid is crystal clear.WI has much more murky water. The biggest difference on the bike is that at IMPL the climbs are long and steady with long run outs where you can carry speed.IMWI has short steep climbs that all seem to have a sharp turn at the end.It's hard to carry speed from hill to hill.I found the bike at IMWI more difficult due to this. Both of the runs are hilly. Crowd support is excellent at both races but I might give the edge to IMWI.It was pouring rain the year I did LP so the crowds may not have been as large.As has been said before IMWI may be as close as we mortals get to TDF feel. Happy training.

I've also done both and this is a good comparison. I'll add a couple things:

- People always talk about the violent swim at LP, but I have had rougher swims in WI due to the darkness of the water. There's more contact since you can't see the swimmers around you until you're on top of them. The water can be choppy as well if it's a windy day.

- This bike description is perfect. Twists, turns, climbs, it's constantly changing. I ended up being much faster in WI than LP, but I was also more trained since LP was first (did both this year).

- The run is far better than LP. It's lined with spectators the entire way which is a huge boost. It's relatively flat as well, except for Observatory, which most people have to walk. This year Observatory was closed for construction so there were faster run times posted. Maybe they will make that change permanent!
2010-10-04 5:28 PM

Master
Waukesha, WI
Holy cow, there are 6 pages in this forum already....I just thought I'd poke around and found this.  I am soooo excited.   Will be my first.  Guess I should copy and paste the questionnaire.

1. Is this your first IM?  YEPPERS
2. Have you done IMWI before?  NOPE
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  I don't know how to answer this one yet.  Lots of training to go and I don't even know how to comprehend setting a goal.  Do I base it off a Half Ironman? 
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  After about a year of actually thinking "can I really do this" and much debate between AZ and WI, I chose WI for the location, most of my family is here so I hope they'll come cheer me on, all my friends are doing it (makes training with people much easier) and cuz my hubby is doing it too. 
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  Not right now, but I will definately have some down the road.

Edited by Joe Runner 2010-10-04 5:38 PM
2010-10-04 5:54 PM

Elite

I'm wondering if I might overthink things too much, too soon sometimes.  I finished my marathon yesterday and before I finished my first glass of poweraid and scarfed some chips the wheels were spinning.  Soooooo, I just did a 4:27 marathon (time is besides the point, just used for reference) I fully plan on committing to watching what I eat over the winter and dropping 30 pounds by IM.  Since it is scientifically proven (snerk) that you get 1 minute faster per pound lost over the course of a marathon that drops me down to 3:57.  Also scientifically proven is you can add about 30-45 minutes to your stand alone marathon time to come up with an IM marathon time.  So lets add 38 minutes and that gives me a 4:35 IM run time.  Done and doner, I now have the run portion figured out for next year.  Must have been something thought provoking in that poweraid yesterday.

2010-10-05 3:36 PM

Yep, it will be my first.

I was registered for 2010, but got injured right away, and never really get my training underway (residual injury from the season before).

Finish the race and have fun. Also, be smiling as I come across the finish line.

Close to home, great (and challenging) course, great crowds.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?

What kind of program are people going to follow, especially those doing their first.

2010-10-05 8:23 PM

Cincinnati, OH
I've been meaning to post on this thread for about a week, so I figured I should actually stop lurking and join in.

1. Is this your first IM? Yes, and like many others, I am excited, nervous, and pumped up all at the same time.  I, too, find it consuming most of my thoughts and decisions throughout the day.

2. Have you done IMWI before?  Nope.

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?  To finish.  In less than 17 hours.  Skipping an IV at the finish line medical tent would also be a plus.  

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  It's close enough that I can drive, which is a plus as I'd be a wreck worrying about transporting my bike via the airlines.  Also close enough that I can have a lot of family there to cheer.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  Not now, but I know I will later.  I'm not particularly new to tri or running races, but I've finished enough races to learn to respect the distance, and I ABSOLUTELY respect the iron distance.  I have a winter marathon that I plan to use to use to keep fitness through the next few months, then choose a training plan to begin in March.  Can't wait to take the journey with you guys!
2010-10-06 9:43 AM

Marshfield Wi
WOW, not waisting any time I see. After taking some time off since IMOO 2010 I just started planing 2011 and this popped up.

1. this will be #3
2.I did Louisville in 09 and Madison last month
3.Train more so I can actually enjoy the run
4. Close to home and my brother is coming in from Virginia to do it together
5.I'm trying to not think too much about it yet. The questions will come
2010-10-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3132567

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

mndiver - 2010-10-04 5:54 PM

I'm wondering if I might overthink things too much, too soon sometimes.  I finished my marathon yesterday and before I finished my first glass of poweraid and scarfed some chips the wheels were spinning.  Soooooo, I just did a 4:27 marathon (time is besides the point, just used for reference) I fully plan on committing to watching what I eat over the winter and dropping 30 pounds by IM.  Since it is scientifically proven (snerk) that you get 1 minute faster per pound lost over the course of a marathon that drops me down to 3:57.  Also scientifically proven is you can add about 30-45 minutes to your stand alone marathon time to come up with an IM marathon time.  So lets add 38 minutes and that gives me a 4:35 IM run time.  Done and doner, I now have the run portion figured out for next year.  Must have been something thought provoking in that poweraid yesterday.

LOL.... this is funny... because I ran the Lakefront Marathon on Sunday and took 45 minutes off my time from my first marathon and I am also going to be losing some more weight and my wheels were spinning too.  But we were drinking gatorade... so maybe it is just the sugar.  Well doesn't it feel good!!!!????

2010-10-09 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3111558

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
PennState - 2010-09-22 8:52 AM

4. Why Wisconsin? It's within driving distance. Also the terrain sounds similar to central PA which should be a plus on the bike. I like the time of year as well. Get to train for the summer and then off season starts after the race.

I think you will find it very much like riding in Central PA. I went to school at Shippensburg and also did a decent amount of riding around State College with friends, though most of the state college riding was mountain bike. We've lived in WI for 3 years now but it wasn't until this summer that I got to ride the IM course for the first time. It's not until about 1/3 of the way through the loop, once you are leaving Mt. Horeb that the similarities become apparent. But from there back to Verona it was very much like PA. If anything it's easier. The terrain is similar, but the hills are a bit smaller. I love the course though, for how much it reminds me of riding back home.

ETA: I'm not doing it in 2011. The wife is pregnant and we are expecting #2 in April. But I'll be there volunteering and signing up for 2012 to finish up what I started this year (injury got the best of me).

Edited by graceful_dave 2010-10-09 10:13 PM

2010-10-11 8:21 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I rode the bike loop once yesterday and it was a nice Autumnal day even though it was a little warm out (about 80 degrees).
You peeps would have liked the day.
2010-10-11 9:44 PM

Expert
Leicester
I'm in, thanks to my wife's great work on both our computers fighting through the Active.com fiasco.

Yes, as a participant.
No, went to see 2010 and spectating the event convinced me.
Finish! I would like to make sub 13hrs, but I will not be risking a DNF, if it's not going to plan I will back it off and accept anything under the cutoff!
Closest IM to me and also everything I read was good, add to that seeing the 2010 race, it seems like the best venue for spectators that I'll be bringing to Madison with me.

I plan on significant work on my run over swim & bike. Anyone in Chicago burbs in a similar boat?
2010-10-13 9:04 AM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

The Ironman Wisconsin board is awful quiet.  What is everyone up to???

2010-10-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3132567

Elite
Roswell, GA

mndiver - 2010-10-04 6:54 PM

Just my 2 cents....

Once you are recovered from the marathon work back up to about 25 miles a week and just hold that for the winter.   4  X 6 miles or 3 X 5 miles with a 10 miler would be great.  The base from consistant running is what carries you through the IM run.  Well, as long as you don't booger up the other stuff. 

2010-10-13 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3149276

Master
Lexington, KY
crea0029 - 2010-10-13 10:04 AM

Enjoying the many benefits of a low training volume!

2010-10-13 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3149572

Elite

brown_dog_us - 2010-10-13 10:40 AM

mndiver - 2010-10-04 6:54 PM

Just my 2 cents....

Once you are recovered from the marathon work back up to about 25 miles a week and just hold that for the winter.   4  X 6 miles or 3 X 5 miles with a 10 miler would be great.  The base from consistant running is what carries you through the IM run.  Well, as long as you don't booger up the other stuff. 

Who says I ever hit 25 miles in the first place?   Thanks for the advice, might be nice to hold a good base through-out the winter.

2010-10-13 11:22 AM

over a barrier
Running 50-34 and 12-25 on the course. Riding the course too many times to count and can do the entire course without leaving the saddle and staying below FTP in 99.99% of the course.

Ancona (11-25) and Rich Strauss will be racing in 2010 and both will ride the same set up -both in the 5 hr flat range.

Having raced it twice, riding the course too many times to count, and been on the hills cowbelling most folks are over geared on race day. imo.

2010-10-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3129646

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
LazyMarathoner - 2010-10-02 9:22 AM
newt - 2010-09-30 4:52 PM "Hey, do you mind me asking how you would compare LP to WI? ie; differences in swim, bike and run course." The swim at Lake Placid is crystal clear.WI has much more murky water. The biggest difference on the bike is that at IMPL the climbs are long and steady with long run outs where you can carry speed.IMWI has short steep climbs that all seem to have a sharp turn at the end.It's hard to carry speed from hill to hill.I found the bike at IMWI more difficult due to this. Both of the runs are hilly. Crowd support is excellent at both races but I might give the edge to IMWI.It was pouring rain the year I did LP so the crowds may not have been as large.As has been said before IMWI may be as close as we mortals get to TDF feel. Happy training.

I've also done both and this is a good comparison. I'll add a couple things:

- People always talk about the violent swim at LP, but I have had rougher swims in WI due to the darkness of the water. There's more contact since you can't see the swimmers around you until you're on top of them... 

*no comment*
2010-10-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3149276

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
crea0029 - 2010-10-13 9:04 AM

Looking at this?
http://www.ironmanwisconsin.com/wisclock.html
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56