BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-24 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
Just did a wee little run today.  'Twas the last long run for my daughter before the Disney 13.1 in two weeks.  It is interested running slower.  It is probably similar to the pace that my run will be at IM Spud.

2010-12-24 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3260692

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2010-12-25 2:40 AM Just did a wee little run today.  'Twas the last long run for my daughter before the Disney 13.1 in two weeks.  It is interested running slower.  It is probably similar to the pace that my run will be at IM Spud.

You did a little wee on the run?

I'm so proud of you!

What did you find interesting about running more slowly? Once in a while when training for a marathon, if in groups, I'd join a slower pace group for a long run ... apparently it doesn't matter much as long as you're doing a fair chunk of your training at whatever appropriate training pace there is for you.

What kind of training plan are you going to follow for Spud?
2010-12-24 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3260687

User image

Expert
South Jersey
TriAya - 2010-12-24 1:38 PM
Mrschach - 2010-12-25 2:26 AM Hey Yanti...what is the tatoo on your leg?

Huh, who, me? What's funny is I'm a complete picture hog and I can't find a closeup in my albums. I'll try to attach or paste one in later.

It's a dragon, in the shape of a Y, draped onto an Indonesian dagger (called a kris, which has a curvy blade) ... there's actually a significance to nearly every part of it [the images, of course, what the dragon is holding, # of blade curves, the letters that the dragon's horns spell out, ad nauseam] but that's the gist.

You got any tattoos? Anybody else have any fun tats they want to post pictures of?

Here is my second one and I love it!! 

It is on my upper back.  It is the flowers that coincide with all four of our birth months.  The mum is for my husband born in November.  The two sets of daffodils (forget the actual name but it is a type of daffodil) are for me and my 4 year old born in December.  And the rose is for my youngest born in June.  I brought my idea to the place and the guy designed it.  I will never forget the day I talked to him.  He said he had a question for me and I told him the answer was no.  He looked all kinds of confused since he had not asked the question yet.  I told him that I was not having any more children and he did not need to design it with the intention of adding to it later.  He laughed his butt off because that was his question!!

My husband has both of our boys' feet on each of his arms from the day they were born. 
2010-12-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3260154

User image

Veteran
Austin
mackjenn - 2010-12-23 11:41 PM Bike Riding Fear:  First - I think it is great that you are interested in overcoming your fears and getting out on the bike.

I'm not a professional cyclist, but was a licesned racer about 15 years ago and basically spent many hours on it growing up - mostly road, but also more recently mountain.  My top speed on a road downhill has reached 60 +mph, so no fear of speed now.  I've been heavy and was always the fastest one going down (made up for me being the slowest going up).

That said - take what you think will help:
First get comfortable on the bike.  If borrowed, it may not fit properly which will hurt control and comfort.  If the handlebars are too far from the seat, it shifts you weight to the front and can make the bike more unsteady when removing your hands for shifting (if necessary).  Old rule of thumb for road bike is that you should not see your front fork when in the drop position.  Get real low or high, it might not be, but it should be for netral position.  You may not want to be on a tri bike yet due to the extreme position - stick to a well fitted road bike or mountain bike.

Second - get used to shifting.  This is best done on a trainer so there is no possibility of crashing - a trainer where you mount your bike, not one that is completely different.  You want to learn how to shift your bike.  If no trainer, then do it in a grassy field, stick with low gears so it is easy to pedal.  I also liked the comment about using an empty parking lot.  Think about is as learning to drive again - you had similar concerns when starting to drive and the bike is no different.  What worked for you then?

Third:  do them together in controlled situations.  Get a parking lot and set-up a route that requires turning, shifting, and stoping.  Keep doing the course while trying to pick up your speed.  Go no faster than you are comfortable with, but the intent is to continue to get fasterwith each lap or session.  Protect yourself - long pants and shirts.  Elbow pads if you have them.  Crashing at low speed is not bad as you will learn about control each time.  No need to crash on purpose here (yet).

Now -in no particular order (it worked for ME - MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE) - some drills:
- Crash.  Yea - crash.  Don't do a header on pavement, but go to a grassy field - wet one works great because you can skid some and ground is not as hard.  Lower you seat some and make the bike skid or slide around - make it fun and do it with friends (do it is a mud pit).  Be a child, be safe, but try to get the feel of loosing and regaining control of the bike.  We used to get old training bikes and try to knock each other off them in a field to get used to riding in a tight pack as well as getting used to physical contact when riding.  As bad as it sounds, fear reduces as you get familiar with losing and regaining.  PLEASE take this at a pace that you are comfortable with - if not ready, don't do it - getting hurt can be counter productive.

- Get rollers if you can.  They really really help with control and focus.  Although they are not good for doing intervals, they are great for control.  PLEASE - they are a little more advanced, but they are the best thing for bike control.  Great bike control = less fear.  Note that I've crashed more on my rollers than on the road.

- Miles, Miles, and Miles.  Find a rolling road that will require shifting with little to no traffic.  Think about base miles - just riding to get the feel of the bike. You will find yourself getting more and more comfortable on the bike.

- Get riding partners.  Someone who will ride with you at your pace but also capable of riding a little faster to help you get used to speed - do some intervals and play catch.  You go x and once reached, they try to catch-up.  You can also try to catch up to them (we called it leap frog).

- Do mini-sprints.  Pick a tree out and try to ride as hard as you can until you pass it.

- If your front wheel ever starts to wobble when going down hill, don't panic.  Apply more weight to the wheel (lean forward) and LIGHTLY start applying the brake.  Once you regain control - proceed to a bike shop to fix the issue.

Reading through some of the concerns, I get the feeling that most of the fear comes from losing control while doing something new, so you need to focus on improving control and knowing what to do to bring yourself back from the edge of control.  Sometimes the only thing you can do is to test yourself in this area - so do it in safe situations before you need it.

Any thoughts or clarificaiton?  I'm getting tired, so I may have rambled.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you, thank you, and thanks some more!  Some of it instantly made sense and I am ready to try some of it out.  Although reading about the +60mph made my heart race a bit.  

If you (or any one else) could talk some more about the trainer/roller recommendation.  I don't have either, but had been previously thinking about getting a trainer so I could ride in the evening after the kids go to bed.  I had been thinking about just getting something on craigslist (I live it a bit biking area, so usually lots of stuff up on craigslist).  So would the recommendation be for rollers of a trainer for someone like me that is new and needs handling help?  Pros/cons?  Thanks!!

~lousie

2010-12-24 2:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser
hi lounav! do you go by "Lousie" ... that's not a typo in your signature?

Anyhow--trainer v. rollers is a tough question. If you CAN get a cheap trainer on CL, go for it. (note that the cheaper ones are usually noisier and can create a stiff wind ... if that's not a problem, go for it. feel free to ask more about dif kinds of trainers as well)

I have to admit, I'm kind of a rollers fan. They're cheaper, and they really help you focus and to me give you a very good feel for your bike, which helps with handling. The downside is that there's a definite learning curve, and you really can't do anything else on rollers but ride (don't even think about answering that cell call. you WILL fly off the rollers ...)
2010-12-24 3:48 PM

User image

Melon Presser
THE MANATEE TABLE IS DONE!

at least, the first draft. The version below should be clickable. Please check to see if your name is right and if clicking on your name actually takes you to your log.

You could go ahead and cut and paste this table into your log, but if I were you, I'd wait a few days and see what troubleshooting might need to be done ... in the meanwhile, I'll post the log each new page of threads so you won't have to hunt for our team links.

Yanti and Lynn's Manatees
GROUP THREAD

crews (Carla)
Airshooter (Floyd)
Galwegian (Niall)
 A Little Madness (Mary) 
tri ryan (Ryan)
pga mike (Mike)
mackjenn (John)
 Lynn - lmscozz
spar (Tanya)
 Yanti - TriAya
jogo (Jo)
bluwatersoul (Megan)
kalico123 (Kathy)
lounav (Louise)
Mrschach (Megg)
burnettbunch (Jenn)
iluvmybeamer (Joni)
Tucker lr
cggale (Claire)
schapopa (Arek)
crystalashworth (Crystal)
SteveyD (Stephen, Steephee)

Edited by TriAya 2010-12-24 3:56 PM

2010-12-24 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3260738

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2010-12-24 2:56 PM hi lounav! do you go by "Lousie" ... that's not a typo in your signature?

That would be a typo (one of my many specialties)!

Anyhow--trainer v. rollers is a tough question. If you CAN get a cheap trainer on CL, go for it. (note that the cheaper ones are usually noisier and can create a stiff wind ... if that's not a problem, go for it. feel free to ask more about dif kinds of trainers as well)

I have to admit, I'm kind of a rollers fan. They're cheaper, and they really help you focus and to me give you a very good feel for your bike, which helps with handling. The downside is that there's a definite learning curve, and you really can't do anything else on rollers but ride (don't even think about answering that cell call. you WILL fly off the rollers ...)

Flying off the rollers...trying to scare me out of it?!  So is your bike hooked into the rollers and you go flying off - or do you and the bike go flying?  Perhaps time for me to check it out on youtube.  
2010-12-24 7:11 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Bike trainers look something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Products-Bike-Trainer/dp/B000ZJKRR2

B
ike Rollers look something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Action-Advance-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B001FSKDSU

W
ith the bike trainer, you secure the back wheel to the trainer.  With the rollers, the bike is not securely attached.  You place the bike on the rollers and ride.  My husband has one and it took some getting use to... for him.  I don't touch it.  I like my trainer.  Since I've never ridden on rollers, someone else might have some insight as to the advantages.    
2010-12-24 7:15 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A FESTIVE AND SAFE HOLIDAY!!!!!
2010-12-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3260848

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lounav - 2010-12-24 4:17 PM
TriAya - 2010-12-24 2:56 PM hi lounav! do you go by "Lousie" ... that's not a typo in your signature?

That would be a typo (one of my many specialties)!

Flying off the rollers...trying to scare me out of it?!  So is your bike hooked into the rollers and you go flying off - or do you and the bike go flying?  Perhaps time for me to check it out on youtube.  

Unfortunately, you do go flying off rollers.  I beleive both serve different purposes and both can be an advantage in a training plan.  I purchased some Performance (you know - mail order bike stuff) rollers that had a front mounting option.  This provided me the option of removing my front wheel and locking it in place - which then made them work more like a trainer where I wanted to do some hard intervals or be able to eat, read, watch TV, etc.  I could also remove the mounting and use them as regular rollers - which requires 100% focus AND the ability to ride a straight line.

Rollers are an advanced option, so if you can't get one with a mounting for the front fork, I'd recommend not going for it.

For trainers, there are tons of optinos. Cheapest type of resistance methods are fans - but they are noisy.  Second are, I believe, Mag (magnets) and they offer variable resistance.  Third are fluid - the most realistic (I've heard) resistance and very quiet.  I have an old cycleops and if your are loooking to get one of those on CL, don't get the older ones - they had a habit of leaking fluid.  I have heard the fixed the issue with the Fluid 2, but they probably leak too to some extent.  High end have power meters in them - not something that I'd consider necessary (quite $$$) unless you are really into racing.

Cycleops used to be the best (IMO), but Kinetic has really given them a run for their money.  I believe either would be perfect and you would never outgrow their use.  Other, less expensive models are available but I think few offer the stability that these two do.

Finally - stay away from plastic fans (try to get aluminum).  Nothing is as much as a surprise as when the plastic fan reaches its maximum RPM during a sprint and breaks - pcs will go everywhere.

BTW - I learned a lot about bike handling riding a mountain bike in the snow - wearking a parka in Ohio.  Plus, when you go down (if you go down), lots of padding between the parka and snow.  No reason to not go out now.
2010-12-24 10:53 PM

New user

Klamath Falls OR
Everybody have a safe and happy Holiday!

2010-12-25 4:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
found a video of someone on rollers.  Not bad for his first time.

Some useful pointers - being able to lean on the wall is good.  Also works in a doorway if you don't have a narrow hall.  Having a step or something next to you will help mount / dismount since the bike will be several inches higher than usual.  Finally - note that he comments about being in the highest gear - this is true if you don't have some form of resistance on the rollers.  Most riding resistance comes from the wind and the rollers only duplicate rolling resistance (I used to use dual fans for hard work, single fan for just riding).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSn_9HRcXr4&feature=player_embedded

some cool riding by someone who spends lots of time on rollers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Edited by mackjenn 2010-12-25 5:05 AM
2010-12-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3261036

User image

Veteran
Austin
mackjenn - 2010-12-25 4:44 AM found a video of someone on rollers.  Not bad for his first time.

Some useful pointers - being able to lean on the wall is good.  Also works in a doorway if you don't have a narrow hall.  Having a step or something next to you will help mount / dismount since the bike will be several inches higher than usual.  Finally - note that he comments about being in the highest gear - this is true if you don't have some form of resistance on the rollers.  Most riding resistance comes from the wind and the rollers only duplicate rolling resistance (I used to use dual fans for hard work, single fan for just riding).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSn_9HRcXr4&feature=player_embedded

some cool riding by someone who spends lots of time on rollers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Thanks John and Claire!  After looking at all this, I'm thinking it may be better if I start with a trainer and maybe advance to a roller some day.  Also thanks for the trainer tips~ my birthday is next week, so I'm on the prowl for the right trainer.   
2010-12-25 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Uh hello :P
2010-12-25 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
i'll post a bit more, tomorrow,
(yanti made me come here....)  

Edited by SteveyD 2010-12-25 12:08 PM
2010-12-25 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

I hope all you have a safe and happy holiday with the ones you love.

2010-12-25 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3260790

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2010-12-24 1:48 PM THE MANATEE TABLE IS DONE!

at least, the first draft. The version below should be clickable. Please check to see if your name is right and if clicking on your name actually takes you to your log.

You could go ahead and cut and paste this table into your log, but if I were you, I'd wait a few days and see what troubleshooting might need to be done ... in the meanwhile, I'll post the log each new page of threads so you won't have to hunt for our team links.

Yanti and Lynn's Manatees
GROUP THREAD

crews (Carla)
Airshooter (Floyd)
Galwegian (Niall)
 A Little Madness (Mary) 
tri ryan (Ryan)
pga mike (Mike)
mackjenn (John)
 Lynn - lmscozz
spar (Tanya)
 Yanti - TriAya
jogo (Jo)
bluwatersoul (Megan)
kalico123 (Kathy)
lounav (Louise)
Mrschach (Megg)
burnettbunch (Jenn)
iluvmybeamer (Joni)
Tucker lr
cggale (Claire)
schapopa (Arek)
crystalashworth (Crystal)
SteveyD (Stephen, Steephee)

Thanks Yanti!

2010-12-25 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Edited by lmscozz 2010-12-25 7:11 PM
2010-12-25 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I ated and dranked about 12,000 calories in the last 24 hours.  Now I feel like this.

2010-12-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3261472

pga_mike - 2010-12-25 8:44 PM
I ated and dranked about 12,000 calories in the last 24 hours.  Now I feel like this.

I know what you mean. I weighed myself a few minutes ago and am 7 lbs up since yesterday afternoon.
2010-12-25 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hey Manatee's:  My Holiday Gift to you is a F3P, or a Family Friend Free Pass.

Basically- any calories you consume with family and friends today (Christmas) do NOT count toward any weight gain - basically, they are free.  Only one condition.  To activate the F3P, you just have to work out a minimum of 1 hour tomorrow.  EASY AS THE PIE YOU HAD TODAY!!!

Hope you enjoy and perhaps get that hour in early.

F3P applies for new year's too; however, It is more difficult to activate / use (kind of like frequent flyer miles).  To use, you must iniitate the workout within 1 hour of sun-up.  :-)

Happy Holidays!

2010-12-26 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3261496

User image

Expert
Cambridge
mackjenn - 2010-12-26 2:27 AM Hey Manatee's:  My Holiday Gift to you is a F3P, or a Family Friend Free Pass.

Basically- any calories you consume with family and friends today (Christmas) do NOT count toward any weight gain - basically, they are free.  Only one condition.  To activate the F3P, you just have to work out a minimum of 1 hour tomorrow.  EASY AS THE PIE YOU HAD TODAY!!!

F3P applies for new year's too; however, It is more difficult to activate / use (kind of like frequent flyer miles).  To use, you must iniitate the workout within 1 hour of sun-up.  :-)

Happy Holidays!

Sounds like a brilliant present
I'm rather happy today after the cricket ! (I forgot to say, ik'm a raving brit)
http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/england-in-australia-2010-11/ashes-day-by-day/
I'll post my introduction later xD  
2010-12-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3261638

User image

Altrincham
SteveyD - 2010-12-26 10:37 AM
mackjenn - 2010-12-26 2:27 AM Hey Manatee's:  My Holiday Gift to you is a F3P, or a Family Friend Free Pass.

Happy Holidays!

Sounds like a brilliant present
I'm rather happy today after the cricket ! (I forgot to say, ik'm a raving brit)
http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/england-in-australia-2010-11/ashes-day-by-day/
I'll post my introduction later xD  

Oh nothing quite brings out the festive cheer than watching an Aussie batting collapse!
2010-12-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3261496

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
mackjenn - 2010-12-25 8:27 PM Hey Manatee's:  My Holiday Gift to you is a F3P, or a Family Friend Free Pass.

Happy Holidays!

This gift sounds better than the gift I got...an nasty cold.   Colds are the gift that keeps on giving.  I got it from my lovely daughter.  I gave it to my husband.  Who's next?

I'm better now and just finished a workout on the trainer.  I'll take my F3P now.  

Edited by cggale 2010-12-26 12:51 PM
2010-12-26 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Ok, a small intro
My name is Stevey D or Stephen Or STEPHEEEEEEEEE (if you're the Yanatee )
I am a brit, living in Cambridge 
What I love :
Cricket
Bass guitar
Triathlon
Having a Job

What I dont love :
Flu
Coffee
Sleep Deprivation

I only managed one race last year, the year before that I did my first race @ tatton park (You should know it galwegian)
This year I'm looking for a couple of races to enter but we shall see!

edit : bad grammar  

Edited by SteveyD 2010-12-26 12:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38