General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-03-13 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3262258

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

Racine 70.3 will be my first HIM!!!  I'm pretty excited.  I'm doing the BT beginner HIM program, and loving it. 

I am in for the BT training rides.  I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather and getting outside on the bike. It would be really cool if we could put together some OW group swims on the course as well. 

I live in the area so if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and help. 

2011-03-25 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3395947

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

**BUMP***

Hey Racine 70.3 where are you?  If you live in Michigan, you are most certainly NOT working out outside, because for the FORTH time this season, we had a week in the 50s followed by MORE SNOW!!!

2011-03-25 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

We're hibernating.   Laughing     It sounds like MI is experiencing the same weather as WI - we get some nice, mild temps and then right back down to freezing and snow flurries.  Winter isn't giving up without a fight!

I am really looking forward to some warmer weather so we can start training on the Racine 70.3 course.  Has anyone heard, will the course be the same as last year?

2011-03-28 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I emailed IM and they said yes, course staying the same.
2011-04-01 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Just throwing this one out there but if anyone is interested in group rides...

I will be in Racine over Memorial Day weekend and plan on hitting up the bike course and maybe some of the run course as well. Saturday or Sunday works for me if anyone wants to do a group ride, however there is a possibility that I will be in Madison Sunday morning volunteering at the Madison Marathon so I would be riding later on Sunday. Keep this in mind as we inch closer towards summer, I think there was a BT group that did the course over Memorial Day weekend last year.

2011-04-01 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Marshfield

This will be my first HIM as well and I am so freakin excited!  Been increasing my workouts and my swim is going extremely well, big improvements thanks to my awesome coach who kicks my a$$!!!! 

I too would love to pre-ride the course but Memorial weekend will not work. 

Happy training to all!!! Wink

2011-04-03 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Yes I cannot absofreakinglutely  wait to seek my revenge against the Racine course!   Grrrr!      

Last year I had some issues...  which I let get in the way of a better performance.   I will call them "my" issues.   After all, I can't blame the "wrath of  God" stuff.   Like that interesting monsoon storm that ripped through last year!  ( I did see Dorothy's house fly by tho)    Or that BLAZING heat that followed.   It must have cooked all the animals at the zoo cause I didnt see any of them at the zoo.

The rest of the "issues"were simply my own mistakes, that I will not be repeating.  while I may have been dumb to make them to begin with, I am not a "" and make them all over again.

Ok damn it  I have new "issues" this year.    Chips are down, making my life more difficult,  cant train the way I'd like, I will still get my goal time one way or another.  

Never give up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM5A1K6TxxM

Edited by oriolepwr 2011-04-03 7:54 AM
2011-04-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3427239

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
oriolepwr - 2011-04-03 7:53 AM

Yes I cannot absofreakinglutely  wait to seek my revenge against the Racine course!   Grrrr!      

Last year I had some issues...  which I let get in the way of a better performance.   I will call them "my" issues.   After all, I can't blame the "wrath of  God" stuff.   Like that interesting monsoon storm that ripped through last year!  ( I did see Dorothy's house fly by tho)    Or that BLAZING heat that followed.   It must have cooked all the animals at the zoo cause I didnt see any of them at the zoo.

The rest of the "issues"were simply my own mistakes, that I will not be repeating.  while I may have been dumb to make them to begin with, I am not a "" and make them all over again.

Ok damn it  I have new "issues" this year.    Chips are down, making my life more difficult,  cant train the way I'd like, I will still get my goal time one way or another.  

Never give up!

If you would have seen an animal at that zoo, you would have been the first. That part of the organizers "hook" has pretty much become a running joke.

You might see a few squirrels along the course, but I don't think that's what the organizers have been trying to sell, over the years. :-)
2011-04-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3395947

User image

Regular
I live in Michigan and the weather is horrible! It is Spring Break and I had planned on getting a few outside rides in, but it has been snowing! Also, I have bronchitis. What length of rides are you guys doing right now? I am doing the Grand Rapids 70.3 on June 5th as "training" for Racine and hope to peak at Racine. Don't plan on too many open water swims before it with these temps around here! ;
2011-04-04 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
I think I saw Toto during the ride as well.! I hope the water temp is better. I am thinking of wearing another cap underneath the race one to help keep me warmer!
2011-04-05 11:36 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Racine will be my first HIM! I am pretty excited for it and am finally able to get out on the roads and get some rides in in SE South Dakota. The thing I hate is when farm dogs chase me on my bike. I am afraid they are going to make me crash. I am thinking about getting some pepper spray made for dogs and using it to help them get the hint. Anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do? Sometimes I just try to ride faster but they see me coming and are waiting! Thanks for the help!

2011-04-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3431757

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

buckeyeguy77 - 2011-04-05 11:36 PM  The thing I hate is when farm dogs chase me on my bike. I am afraid they are going to make me crash. I am thinking about getting some pepper spray made for dogs and using it to help them get the hint. Anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do? Sometimes I just try to ride faster but they see me coming and are waiting! Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you need to ride faster.  Wink

Pepper spray would definitely help those dogs get the hint.  There was a previous thread in the Triathlon Talk forum about being chased by pit bulls and people arming themselves with pepper spray.  So it seems pretty reasonable.  However, there was also a thread about "packing heat" while training... 

2011-04-06 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
buckeyeguy77 - 2011-04-05 11:36 PM Racine will be my first HIM! I am pretty excited for it and am finally able to get out on the roads and get some rides in in SE South Dakota. The thing I hate is when farm dogs chase me on my bike. I am afraid they are going to make me crash. I am thinking about getting some pepper spray made for dogs and using it to help them get the hint. Anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do? Sometimes I just try to ride faster but they see me coming and are waiting! Thanks for the help!
That is scary stuff, always a risk of the dog running in front of you. The pepper spray is a good idea. There are a few farm dogs on some of the roads we ride on, and if I know the dog is friendly, I will slow waaaaaaayy down. They seem to lose interest quickly if they aren't chasing something fast.
2011-04-06 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

buckeyeguy77 - 2011-04-05 11:36 PM Racine will be my first HIM! I am pretty excited for it and am finally able to get out on the roads and get some rides in in SE South Dakota. The thing I hate is when farm dogs chase me on my bike. I am afraid they are going to make me crash. I am thinking about getting some pepper spray made for dogs and using it to help them get the hint. Anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do? Sometimes I just try to ride faster but they see me coming and are waiting! Thanks for the help!

I always though you rural road riders had it so good but that definitely sounds like a rather annoying and potentially dangerous problem.  The pepper spray seems like a good idea even as much as I like dogs.  They do generally have a good memory for negative reinforcement and I suspect after one "spray" incident, they would leave the crazy biking guy alone in the future.  If you don't have pepper spray, I've always been a big fan of yelling or making some type of noise (like a lunatic) to distract them until you can safely pass.

Good luck and ride safe!

2011-04-06 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Never give up!

You and I have discussed our races in the past...I would agree on ALL of what you said about last year! It was a TOTAL...
umm...what's the word I'm looking for...SUCKFEST!! Laughing  I PRAY that this year is better....or I am more prepared...just something that is better than last year!
2011-04-06 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3432665

User image

Extreme Veteran
miami9296 - 2011-04-06 1:14 PM

Never give up!

You and I have discussed our races in the past...I would agree on ALL of what you said about last year! It was a TOTAL...
umm...what's the word I'm looking for...SUCKFEST!! Laughing  I PRAY that this year is better....or I am more prepared...just something that is better than last year!

New Motto: IM Racine 2011, It CAN'T be any effen worse......

2011-04-06 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3433218

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-04-06 5:40 PM
miami9296 - 2011-04-06 1:14 PM

Never give up!

New Motto: IM Racine 2011, It CAN'T be any effen worse......

uh oh can't say that out loud!  now it can be worse!!!!!!!   but it effen WONT BE!

2011-04-06 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Marshfield
buckeyeguy77---

I bike out on country roads as well and I have encountered many dogs...some nice, some nasty!  What has worked for me is squirting my water bottle at their face...and pedaling really, really fast!  If it isn't dogs then it is the inattentive drivers...very frustrating!!!!!  I share your pain!
2011-04-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3433493

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
jjkatzenberger - 2011-04-06 9:20 PM
buckeyeguy77---

I bike out on country roads as well and I have encountered many dogs...some nice, some nasty!  What has worked for me is squirting my water bottle at their face...and pedaling really, really fast!  If it isn't dogs then it is the inattentive drivers...very frustrating!!!!!  I share your pain!

Well I'm pretty sure there will not be many dogs chasing riders during IM Racine!!!    If there ARE dogs on the course  they will get the slower riders.  Hee Hee!   Just don't be one of them! 

Wait a sec.  if  it IS like last year  then Toto might chase ya  but that's just to get away from the witch.  I'd probably help him if that was the case.

2011-04-19 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Whats with all the silence here people!!!!!!!!   C'mon let's get psyched up for this!!!!   

When people say something in regular conversation to me I'm like "did you say Racine?" 

Example:  

Other person: "Um Dave, so where are we at with that test project?"

Me:  "What about Racine?"

or:

Other person:  "I'm cold."  

Me: "no the water will be fine at Racine, its not as cold as everyone makes it seem"

Other person: "What the hell is wrong with you Dave??"

Seriously now,

We are roughly 90 days out. If you are not training hard, better START!!!!!!

I'm thinking of tapering here soon!    

Edited by oriolepwr 2011-04-19 8:41 PM
2011-04-19 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

13 weeks to race day!!!  I feel the need...the need...for speed.  I'm looking forward to getting some good training in on the bike and swim courses. If anyone wants to head out on the course, drop me a line, I'm always ready. 

2011-04-20 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3455802

User image

Regular
Only 13 weeks, wow. I am doing Grand Rapids 70.3 on June 5 for my training for Racine. I hope the weather gets better here soon so I can get at least one open water swim in! Keep training hard!
2011-04-20 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3455699

User image

Regular
I agree, all of my daily activities focus around my training. Just want to start racing to make the training seem worth it!!!
2011-04-20 11:13 AM

Madison, WI

are you talking to yourself jgarrett?  just kidding. 

i'm also looking forward to better training weather and racine 70.3, which will be my second HIM.  i did steelhead last year and thought i would check out a similar race on the other side of the lake. 

off to do some intervals on the treadmill.....

2011-04-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3456632

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
I am DYING for nice weather here in Michigan.  I did a THREE hour bike ride on the trainer last week in my basement!  Thank goodness for Netflix
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 21