General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-09-10 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3680253

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread

I ride Harriman usually once every 7-8 weeks, I have raced LP and the roads for Poconos aren't terrible. The first 10-15 miles are pretty choppy but after that it's pretty good. My only concern with the route is when I rode the course a few weeks ago they had chucks of road missing. I know they are working to repair the roads but there were probably 15 areas that road was actually missing. Also around mile 40 there is a steep hill that is gravel.

Photobucket

As long as they complete the road work before the race, we will be fine.

The thing I am more concern about is whether they will have a swim or not. With all of the flooding I wonder if the water will be safe for use to swim in due to contamination or even currents.

2011-09-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3680339

User image

Mcluvin22 - 2011-09-10 2:39 PM

I ride Harriman usually once every 7-8 weeks, I have raced LP and the roads for Poconos aren't terrible. The first 10-15 miles are pretty choppy but after that it's pretty good. My only concern with the route is when I rode the course a few weeks ago they had chucks of road missing. I know they are working to repair the roads but there were probably 15 areas that road was actually missing. Also around mile 40 there is a steep hill that is gravel.

Photobucket

The thing I am more concern about is whether they will have a swim or not. With all of the flooding I wonder if the water will be safe for use to swim in due to contamination or even currents.

Yikes!!! Lets cross our fingers, stay positive, say a few Prayers, and hope the local towns keep there word and complete all the roadwork in the next three weeks. Thanks for the informative update Mcluvin22.
2011-09-10 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA

Photobucket

Hmm, by gravel, do you mean chip and seal road or an actual gravel/dirt road?

2011-09-10 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3387835

User image

I could so bunny hop that....  

2011-09-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3680563

Master
Northern IL
Dream Chaser - 2011-09-10 7:24 PM

I do that all the time, and yes, on the tri-bike.  I think something for a lot to keep in mind is that things don't have to be great right now, they just need to be for race day.  Yes it'd be nice to know it's already taken care or, but that doesn't always happen.  I doubt the roads will be worse than what I ride on regularly.  Spotting obstacles is 2nd nature, so instinctive I don't really think about it anymore.  It's hard to read into what's being said a lot of the time as so much turns out to be overblown.  Expectations are so high for a road course, unrealistic at times.  Granted what's in that picture is pretty darn bad and should be fixed.  We shouldn't have to bunny hop anything.

I might put the Pro Race 3 tires back on instead of the new Specialized tires I picked up.  I know what those can handle better after a couple years of using that type.  That's about all I'm looking at.  Still very excited to run this course!

2011-09-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3680640

User image

brigby1 - 2011-09-10 9:56 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-09-10 7:24 PM

I do that all the time, and yes, on the tri-bike.  I think something for a lot to keep in mind is that things don't have to be great right now, they just need to be for race day.  Yes it'd be nice to know it's already taken care or, but that doesn't always happen.  I doubt the roads will be worse than what I ride on regularly.  Spotting obstacles is 2nd nature, so instinctive I don't really think about it anymore.  It's hard to read into what's being said a lot of the time as so much turns out to be overblown.  Expectations are so high for a road course, unrealistic at times.  Granted what's in that picture is pretty darn bad and should be fixed.  We shouldn't have to bunny hop anything.

I might put the Pro Race 3 tires back on instead of the new Specialized tires I picked up.  I know what those can handle better after a couple years of using that type.  That's about all I'm looking at.  Still very excited to run this course!

The Lake Placid course this year was patched in spots a week before the event. 

I'm running Pro 3's as well.  They are so damn grippy   And they finally made black on black color. 

2011-09-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3680496

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey

No it was loose gravel with dirt and mud. A few of us were brave enough to just stay on the bike and attempt to ride up but most had to walk up.

I am sure it will be paved by race day so I am not worried.

2011-09-12 9:35 PM

Master
Northern IL
Just read through some of the Facebook page and saw some more of the same.  Hate to see the race director (or one of the organizers) have to step in and basically tell people to grow up.  More of the same complaints.  Good to see some others getting excited too.  Still have to give the edge to the Slowtwitch thread for entertainment value.  Hard to beat the "flesh-eating deer" we're going to have to watch out for.
2011-09-13 6:48 AM

User image

Yeah, I heard about the flesh-eating rabid deer.  But since we'll be riding bikes, I'm not too concerned as we can most-likely out- Bike the deer.  It's the man-eating crocodiles in the river that concern me as even with a wetsuit and current-assisted swim, they can very likely out-Swim us.  A crocodile, especially the large man-eating variety, can have a burst of speed up to 20 mph - in the water!!!  This species has inhabited the Deleware River for centuries and has killed many flesh-eating deers getting a drink of water and dozens of slow swimmers.  So, yeah, who cares about the roads.  I already bought myself a bottle of crocodile repellent.  For 12 bucks, it's worth it.  I hope.  http://www.dancingroots.com/lotion.html 

2011-09-13 7:45 AM

Veteran

Just remember that a predator is likely to try to pick off the singular people. Meaning that if you are off the front or off the back you are more at risk. Thank god I am a MOP guy! Laughing

Safety in numbers!

2011-09-13 8:57 AM

Master
Northern IL
Depends on how threatening the prey species is.  Some aquatic predators will go after the main section of the school because it's harder for them to maneuver away.  Just a little food for thought.

Edited by brigby1 2011-09-13 8:57 AM

2011-09-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3683756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Dream Chaser - 2011-09-13 7:48 AM Yeah, I heard about the flesh-eating rabid deer.  But since we'll be riding bikes, I'm not too concerned as we can most-likely out- Bike the deer.  It's the man-eating crocodiles in the river that concern me as even with a wetsuit and current-assisted swim, they can very likely out-Swim us.  A crocodile, especially the large man-eating variety, can have a burst of speed up to 20 mph - in the water!!!  This species has inhabited the Deleware River for centuries and has killed many flesh-eating deers getting a drink of water and dozens of slow swimmers.  So, yeah, who cares about the roads.  I already bought myself a bottle of crocodile repellent.  For 12 bucks, it's worth it.  I hope.  http://www.dancingroots.com/lotion.html 

LOL!!!  Laughing  The Poconos are so dangerous!!!
2011-09-13 12:29 PM

User image

Just got back from a Lake Swim and it serves me right to post that picture.  The first half of the swim my imagination got away from me and I was like, What if??  
2011-09-14 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3684445

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey

hahaha that's pretty funny! That's what you get for posting that pic.

Last year while training for IMLP, I was up there swimming the course and the whole time I was thinking about that stupid movie Lake Placid and the crocodiles in the water. It really played with my mind the whole time I was in the water. So I know what you mean.

2011-09-15 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
I have the same issue with imagining aquatic predators and its not even confined to open water swimming.  Sometimes when I'm the only one in the lap pool I start thinking about Jaws movies and I start swimming a little faster.   I did the Big Kahuna Tri in Santa Cruz last year and I like to credit my PR swim time to the Air Jaws shows on Discovery Channel during shark week - especially since there were numerous sea lions in the water staring at us with looks on their furry little faces that seemed to say "Wtf? You call that swimming?  You guys are totally shark food today."
2011-09-15 10:21 PM

Master
Northern IL
I worry about sharks and alligators every time I start an open water swim. The lake seems perfect for them to sneak up.

2011-09-16 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
any updates on road conditions?? also,  how is the actual ride? I'm thinking of doing this coming off a 7 day taper from another HIM...(read, this would be very very slow).  Just wanted to get an idea of hills.
2011-09-16 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3689113

Master
Northern IL

I think Ironman will have a safe route for us one way or another.  They may have to go to alternates, but we will be fine on race day.  The many up & downs with turns to watch out for actually sounds fun to me.  Most people are expecting cool weather too.  Apparently we will have to watch out for crazed animals lurking around every corner.  We'll be on bikes, but there is the chance they have learned we're slower on the uphills.

You have another (third) HIM sometime close too, don't you?  It's entirely possible you'll be ok if you don't go all in on them, but I don't know your training well enough. 

2011-09-16 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3689148

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
What airport would you fly into for this race?
2011-09-17 4:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Race Sim done on Rev3 Wisconsin course.  I'm feeling good.  ~3,250 ft ascending on a 56 mile course.  Roads were pretty good in general, but did have some areas that will need patching.  There was even a gravel section.  Take the above picture and imagine pure gravel there instead.  I did not get to test out my skills against any flesh-eating deer, so will have to see on race-day.

Did we ever figure out (or agree) about what the elevation for this course is going to be?

2011-09-19 11:28 AM

User image

Photobucket

I drove yesterday through the Hidden Lake Drive and the road was still not fixed. The only sign of the road repair I saw was the sign on the corner of Hidden Lake Drive and route 2028.

2011-09-19 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Water temp/swimming question:

This is my first HIM, and first non-middle-of-summer tri.  In the spring I picked up a sleeveless wetsuit, thinking the water would be warmer.  Looks like we'll be in the low 60's for Pocono, at least that's what the Delaware is now near Trenton.

I know this is a lot based on individual tolerances to cold, but am I going to freeze?  Generally don't mind the cold, but I'm thinking about either speed sleeves, or if I get nervous enough, renting a full sleeve suit.  Would rather not do that since I already bought the sleeveless.

Thanks

2011-09-19 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3692902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
tcj103 - 2011-09-19 9:46 PM

This is my first HIM, and first non-middle-of-summer tri.  In the spring I picked up a sleeveless wetsuit, thinking the water would be warmer.  Looks like we'll be in the low 60's for Pocono, at least that's what the Delaware is now near Trenton.

I know this is a lot based on individual tolerances to cold, but am I going to freeze?  Generally don't mind the cold, but I'm thinking about either speed sleeves, or if I get nervous enough, renting a full sleeve suit.  Would rather not do that since I already bought the sleeveless.

Thanks

I don't necessarily consider myself incredibly tolerant to cold water; but I am a very experienced swimmer.  I would say the low 60s is about the boundary of my abilities without any wetsuit.  I could do it, but I would never get to the point of being comfortable in the water temperature-wise.  (Best comparison I have is an ocean swim in 63-64 F water last year I did wearing only a pair of Jammers.  I swam 1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back, and as long as I kept moving I was fine).

Bearing that in mind then, I would imagine any amount of wetsuit, especially covering my core, would have made that more than bearable.

I would recommend going with the sleeveless and not worrying about it.  You won't freeze.  Think of it like running in cooler weather with shorts on and a long sleeve shirt.  Since your arms are moving the most during the swim, they'll have more blood pumping through them and naturally stay warmer.

Edited by apicek 2011-09-19 10:03 PM
2011-09-20 10:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've been in mid-60's for sure, maybe low, but can't remember for sure.  It was entirely do-able with the sleeveless.  Core temperature was fine.  I don't have much natural insulation either.  Arms felt a cool little towards the end, but not too bad.  Wish I could remember for sure as some other guys did it in jammers or tri shorts only.

Anyone else notice that the Athlete Guide is up and swim waves are posted in it?  Got a fairly early one, so happy here.

2011-09-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3692968

User image

apicek - 2011-09-19 11:03 PM
tcj103 - 2011-09-19 9:46 PM

Thanks

I don't necessarily consider myself incredibly tolerant to cold water; but I am a very experienced swimmer.  I would say the low 60s is about the boundary of my abilities without any wetsuit.  I could do it, but I would never get to the point of being comfortable in the water temperature-wise.  (Best comparison I have is an ocean swim in 63-64 F water last year I did wearing only a pair of Jammers.  I swam 1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back, and as long as I kept moving I was fine).

Bearing that in mind then, I would imagine any amount of wetsuit, especially covering my core, would have made that more than bearable.

I would recommend going with the sleeveless and not worrying about it.  You won't freeze.  Think of it like running in cooler weather with shorts on and a long sleeve shirt.  Since your arms are moving the most during the swim, they'll have more blood pumping through them and naturally stay warmer.

My first Olympic distance race was at Harryman State Park in mid-May back in 2008, and Lake Welch was 55 degrees.  Yes, 55 degrees.  When you get in, yes it is cold.  But once you start swimming, your body warms up very quickly.  If you're concerned about col water, purchase a neoprene cap.  From my experience, and from the experiences I've gathered from others, the cold water affects the skull itself the most.  My guess is because the the head doesn't have much fat on it, it get's cold quickest.  And when your head goes numb the brain can get disoriented.  A sure solution for this is to wear two swim caps or purchase a $20.00 neoprene cap to put under your race cap - http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=13870&Click=310393
If you shop around you can find them a little cheaper.  Right around 20 bucks. 

Another solution is to pee repeatedly in your wetsuit while waiting for your wave to go off.  This always makes me feel warm and fuzzy in the neoprene.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 11