BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-24 5:54 AM
in reply to: #3952226

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

Merry Christmas everyone.

2011-12-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3942391

Merry Christmas to all of you!
2011-12-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3952320

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Edited by hildekq 2011-12-24 8:18 AM
2011-12-24 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Happy holidays everyone!Looking forward to spending the new year with yo
2011-12-24 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Everyone, Hilde, Wilson and I got together to make a special holiday greeting for you. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas!

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/ixY6Gb8HH2IA5TmS

2011-12-24 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys and gals!  I haven't been around much this week - work was a little busier than I anticipated with a couple of co-workers off, but I'm off for the next week so I hope to be able to catch up.  I appreciate all the inspires and promise to try to respond to all of them soon. 

Bike commuting - I would love to do this.  It's only about 6.5 miles and I've ridden it during training rides, just can't seem to get my "stuff" together to do it on actual workdaysTongue out.  I'm a little concerned about the safety of my bike but I think I may go talk to Campus Services (I work at a college) and see if they'll let me lock it up either in the warehouse or near the campus police office.  I think once I start doing it, I'll be OK - it's just taking that first step. 

Swimming question - I don't have easy access to a pool for swim training.  I dropped my gym membership a couple of months ago (no longer fit into our budget) but can use the pool at one of the local rec centers for a daily fee.  Right now I'm planning to get in some swimming a couple of times a month, probably Saturday mornings when it's adult-only lap swimming.  I'm just not sure that once every 2 weeks will be enough.  The one tri that I'm planning in May is a pool swim and if I do one in August it's also a pool swim (both sprint distances - 450m & 300y) so at least I won't have to worry about OWS.  My swimming is OK and I've been told that I have a good stroke, I'm just worried about the training not being enough.  What do you think?  Should I try to fit in more or will I be OK?

I'm getting ready for an 8 mile run.  The weather today is actually pretty nice so I think I'll head outside and give the TM a break todaySmile.  I hope everyone has a great Christmas!

Janet

2011-12-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3952393

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
tstl - 2011-12-24 10:39 AM

Everyone, Hilde, Wilson and I got together to make a special holiday greeting for you. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas!

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/ixY6Gb8HH2IA5TmS

This is hysterical!!  Loved it!!!  Wilson's character looked so realistic with the tongue out and everything!  Merry Christmas, everyone!

2011-12-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3952537

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Oh yeah, Tammy, Wilson and I can ROCK the Christmas Carols!!!!!  Loved it Tammy!!!!  I tried to make a card, but for some reason it wouldn't load and after creating it twice, I gave up.

And this isn't actually Christmas but it's pretty darned funny!!  Enjoy!!!

http://crazy-frankenstein.com/charlie-the-unicorn.html

df

2011-12-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3952569

User image

Extreme Veteran

I remembered Peggy had a rather nice head shot on her blog, so I had her join us on drums:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/LqGv2AaGV9wGyBqB

2011-12-24 2:56 PM

User image

New user
KY
Just wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE everybody!  Ran my first 3.5 miles since Nov. 6 so pretty happy to be on the mend:-)  Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend with family and friends and pets:-)
2011-12-24 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3952393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Tammy, awesome job with the card...haha...I look so natural with my shades on and tongue sticking out...way to cast me!!! haha....That's one "Motley Crew" haha

2011-12-24 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3952714

Extreme Veteran

erinrockrun - 2011-12-24 2:56 PM Just wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE everybody!  Ran my first 3.5 miles since Nov. 6 so pretty happy to be on the mend:-)  Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend with family and friends and pets:-)

Great job on the 3.5 - is 6 November when you did your ankle? (it was you that had an injury and it was ankle right?)

2011-12-24 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3952490

Extreme Veteran

soccermom - Can you get there at least 1 time a week rather than 1 time every 2 weeks? That may be slightly better - just to keep you conditioned, confident, etc - oh and check if the rec centre has multi visit passes - that way you can pay $X when you've got it spare and then still go when you're broke

So did anyone get anything tri/fitness related for christmas?

I got a 20kg dumbell set - the type with the dumbell bar and weight plates - you can make it up to 10kg each dumbell or 18 kg using 1 - the break down is dumbell + 2 spinlocks = 2kg (and of course there are 2 of them) and then you have 4 1.5kg plates and 4 2.5 kg plates.

Got it out to have a look at it before and started challenging bro (only doing 1 since I couldn't be bothered unpacking the other from the plastic bag it was sitting in in its case) and he got up to 18kg and said "ok that's a challenge" - showoff,lol - I should probably mention that he's a storeman and usually lifts boxes weighing around 15kg on a regular basis.

Me on the other hand 5kg is ok (may be challenging for multiple reps) (probably because that's our normal potato bag weight and I'm the one who carries them most of the time) and 7kg is where I start to cry uncle,lo (can probably do that for maybe 2 reps if that) l. And 12 is where I pretty much went - ok he can pick it up himself when challenging bro. 

Oh and for those having conversion issues:

http://www.manuelsweb.com/kg_lbs.htm - this should help.

And I will learn everyone's names - I just need time.

2011-12-25 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks for creating the card!  Pretty funny.

2011-12-25 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Merry Christmas to all!
2011-12-25 4:09 PM

User image

Hendricks County

Merry Christmas!  Anyone get any new tri gear for xmas?!?!

2011-12-25 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3953427

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Merry Christmas everyone... just a quick drive-by before we head over to my daughter Kati's house for Xmas dinner! 

Had a fabulous time on the Riverwalk in San Antonio last night, will post some pics later... AND we are execting grandbaby #2, we found out last night!! 

No new tri gear for me, but then again, what more do I need?  What I really need is some motivation!!! 

df

2011-12-25 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3953432

Extreme Veteran

Hilde - congrats on grandbaby #2

Brad - no new tri gear but I did get something that's sort of related - see my post on what I got. Oh and can you add us all as friends so we can see your log and inspire you?

Oh and I'm loving the bike riding. In the last 2 rides I've got exactly or close to the mileage I got in the previous week's running/walking.

2011-12-25 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3953445

User image

Veteran
Austin
Merry Christmas everyone, hope you are all enjoying the day!
2011-12-25 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3953427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
brizzadd - 2011-12-25 5:09 PM

Yes, Christamas is all about acquiring new Tri gear....I did pick up some new stuff

1. Lock Laces (Blue to match my shoes - Hilde, Tammy(s), Peggy and other color coordinating peeps)

2. Xlab mini-wing kit to hold two bottles behind my seat....for the 50+ milers that will frequently happen eek.

3. Balaclava to keep my head warm this spring....very nice (or rob a gas station)!

4. A bunch of Gu packs - the kiddos loved picking these out!!!

5.  CO2 refills for the numerous flats on century rides to hell

6. A couple more water bottles to put on all those cages

That's about it for now.....I see a Finis MP3 Player coming my way soon...and the SportCount lap counter for the pool.....Both I think were on Santa's sled...he just forgot to drop them off....So I may have to go get them myself....Need some new jammers too....so I have a variety sexy look in the pool..haha

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.....Reality returns to all of us soon....ugh....No workouts for me today...to plan...but tomorrow I need to find some water and treadmill to make my bones happy!!!

So, off to slouch in my chair and watch some mindless TV while I think about doing nothing and eating another snack....Cuz $hit there are so many FIU$#%@$%@ING snacks around this place...OMG!!!

2011-12-25 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3953565

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-25 6:47 PM
brizzadd - 2011-12-25 5:09 PM

Yes, Christamas is all about acquiring new Tri gear....I did pick up some new stuff

1. Lock Laces (Blue to match my shoes - Hilde, Tammy(s), Peggy and other color coordinating peeps)

2. Xlab mini-wing kit to hold two bottles behind my seat....for the 50+ milers that will frequently happen eek.

3. Balaclava to keep my head warm this spring....very nice (or rob a gas station)!

4. A bunch of Gu packs - the kiddos loved picking these out!!!

5.  CO2 refills for the numerous flats on century rides to hell

6. A couple more water bottles to put on all those cages

That's about it for now.....I see a Finis MP3 Player coming my way soon...and the SportCount lap counter for the pool.....Both I think were on Santa's sled...he just forgot to drop them off....So I may have to go get them myself....Need some new jammers too....so I have a variety sexy look in the pool..haha

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.....Reality returns to all of us soon....ugh....No workouts for me today...to plan...but tomorrow I need to find some water and treadmill to make my bones happy!!!

So, off to slouch in my chair and watch some mindless TV while I think about doing nothing and eating another snack....Cuz $hit there are so many FIU$#%@$%@ING snacks around this place...OMG!!!

Wilson, I thought I told you to stop posting suggestive photos of yourself... you know it drives me crazy!!!

I did get a couple of tri- related goodies today... a new stem for my bike (not real exciting, I know, but it will bring the aerobars up and back a little to make them a little more comfy. More exciting is the waterproof iPod shuffle - can't wait to try that baby out in the pool tomorrow! Wilson, i had the swiMP3 last year- loved it, but the battery only lasted maybe 6 months... and it comes with a 90 day warranty :-(  Hopefully, you'll have better luck! I'll let you know how the iPod compares.

Hope Santa was good to everybody! Congrats, Hilde!

2011-12-26 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran

I got new running shoes.  I bought them for myself and DH wrapped them, LOL!  (lower end saucony on sale!)

I'm pretty low end pricewise and low tech on the running shoes, but my previous favorite started to cause toenail issues.  The small "leather" strip near one of my big toes decided to crease and with each foot fall it digs a line into my toe nail.  Those shoes and the extras I have will be for yard work, walking, exercise class, etc... 

Maybe my toe nail will look/feel better by summer.

2011-12-26 9:53 AM

User image

New user
KY

Andrea, I used to run in lower end Saucony's and they were fantastic.  I preferred them over some of the high end Asics and Nike I had at the time.

Suzie, the injury was a tibia stress fracture.  Btw, your dumbbell set sounds awesome!

Wilson, thanks for providing the eye candy.  Your Co2 gift just gave me a New Year's resolution inspiration- learn how to change a flat tire.  I started road biking last summer but never learned.  Watched some youtube videos, but it went right out the window

Hope you all had a great Christmas.  Loved hearing about everyone's new gear.  Santa brought me a pair of Saucony Mirages, some winter running clothing, a bike fit and swim analysis.  The swim analysis takes place in an endless pool at the tri shop, and they let you keep the video.  It's only $50 so really good value.  I also gave my husband a bike trainer so maybe he'll let me use it lol

We did a fun Christmas 5K yesterday morning.  It was probably not a smart idea considering I JUST started running again but I took it nice and slow and everything seems to feel good.  What a neat atmosphere it was- Christmas music, 300 runners and gorgeous scenery around a lake.  Apparently, there are only 2 Christmas day 5k's in the USA.

We're heading back to KY tomorrow.  It's always hard to say goodbye to family but it will be nice to get back to the routine.   First indoor tri for us is Jan 29, can't wait!  Enjoy the rest of the holiday season, everyone.  And thank you, Hilde, for putting together such a neat group!

2011-12-26 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey everyone!  Hope everybody had a great Christmas.

Hilde - congrats on the new grandbaby!

A bike trainer showed up under our tree yesterdayLaughing.  Nothing fancy - it's a Nashbar fluid trainer.  I'm planning to get it set up and go for a test ride this afternoon.  I had hoped for a short run yesterday before heading to my brother's house for dinner, but it didn't quite work out (read: I got lazyTongue out).  I've got the next week off though - so no excuses for not getting my workouts in. 

2011-12-26 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Wilson, that picture is wrong in SO many ways!!

No fast bike for me under the tree, but I did manage to get a gift card to my LBS, so it will definitely go toward a bike purchase this winter.  It sounds like we have some members in our group with some good cycling experience, so I look forward to asking you all some questions as I do more research and get closer to a purchase!

Congratulations, Hilde!  That's so exciting that you'll have another grandchild soon!!

Have to run... My in-laws are on their way for a 2-day visit and our house is a MESS!!  Time to swiffer, haha!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61