BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-14 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3990785

Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - open
jeffnboise - 2012-01-14 10:02 PM

WOW!  Great Job group.  People racing, training, sweating and working butts off.  Cooooollllll!

Boise has had ZERO snow, so outdoor road biking is still an option-and I enjoyed that option today.

Ref:  Bike maintenance issues.  Send me an email, and we can solve the problems together.

Have a GREAT Sunday everyone. 

I was gonna send an email, but thought that maybe some others could use the same advice. I have a bike that was in great operating condition the last time I rode it --- over 2 years ago :P

So, what's the minimum I should do to get it dusted off so I can at least ride a bit & figure out if it needs any major help?

Thanks!!!
Nicole

2012-01-15 12:30 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Nichole,

The email idea was just me being to old and lazy to scroll through the thread; posting it is a better idea.

Re; Haven't been on bike in 2 years.  First thing is put some air in tires, not alot, but enough to inspect the sidewalls for cracks.  I would replace the tubes, 2 yrs is a long time.  Clean/lube chain with a product from the bike store (don't use WD40).  Check every bolt for tightness-good idea to slightly loosen, then snug up.  Do NOT overtighten anything-aluminum bolts/nuts will strip easy.  Check wheels for true, take an emery board to the brake pads and scuff them up a bit, clean rims to take off dust/grease.  Cables have probably stretched, if so, tighten them by backing the barrel adjusters OUT (counterclockwise).  You'll need 4/5/6/8/10 mm allen wrenches. That should get you out the door.  OR...take it to your LBS and ask them what they'll do for a "Safety Check", it covers most of this and it's often cheaper than a tune up.  

That's all I can think of right now, but it's late and I've been drinking....so let me know how all that works out.   jk (well, sorta.  

2012-01-15 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
BRRRRRRR. 38 degrees for a high today and I have a 6-7 mile run to do. Dreading.

Good luck on the half, Joey! I'm training for one in March.

I'll check back & let you know how frostbit I am.
2012-01-15 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hehe...tipsy bike maintenance advice.  I like it.

So...as promised...

A lot of us are suffering through some winter weather which means we're spending lots of time training indoors.  A bike trainer is a great way to get some bike work in during the winter months.  As opposed to running, with both cycling and swimming, you can add intensity to your workouts without a high risk of injury.  When the weather starts to warm you're ready to hit the road.

For the past few years a Beginner Triathlete contributor, JorgeM, has put together a winter cycling program.  It consists of three interval based trainer workouts plus an optional fourth long ride workout.  This year's program can be found right here.

I used this program last year to jump start my HIM training and it really did help my cycling.  I don't have a power meter but do have a heart rate monitor so I used the heart rate method.  A few years back I loosely followed the program using perceived effort.  I worked a lot harder following the HR method (having actual numbers to stick to made it easier to see how hard I should really be working) but if you don't have the gadgets don't worry about it.  You can still get a lot from the program.  I suggest you all look the program over and think about giving it a try.

Another option for trainer workouts are Spinervals DVDs.  I haven't personally used the videos but know other triathletes that have and really like them.  If you work best with some audio and video motivation it might be worth taking a look.

Some other tips for the trainer:

*Get a fan.  A big one.  Staying cool makes the workout a little easier to tolerate.
*Move around in the saddle every once in awhile.  When you ride on the road you tend to shift around on and get in and out of the saddle.  Not so much on the trainer.  It can make for an uncomfortable experience.  I try to shift my weight around or stand up every ten minutes or so.  It has really eased the discomfort I used to have from trainer workouts.
*Don't forget fluids.  Even with a fan I still get pretty hot and sweat a lot.  I try to make sure I take in some water during and after the workout to stay hydrated.
*Sometimes (OK most of the time) intervals will hurt.  Cursing at the bike, yourself, or the person who wrote the workout is a completely natural thing.  It will make you feel better.  Let fly the obscenities!

Happy training, everyone!   

2012-01-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3991202

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-01-15 10:44 AM BRRRRRRR. 38 degrees for a high today and I have a 6-7 mile run to do. Dreading. Good luck on the half, Joey! I'm training for one in March. I'll check back & let you know how frostbit I am.

Be thankful for your 38...i'm getting ready to head out in the low 20s.  Brrrrrr indeed!  Is it spring yet?

2012-01-15 12:19 PM

User image

Looking for a little motivation to start out the year and love the name of your group!  And the fact that you're a trail runner, too.

Love to join your group!

2012-01-15 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Did it. Frozen.

See you tomorrow, Goonies!
2012-01-15 3:35 PM

Middle Tennessee

SRD for me today.  My mom came to visit the boys, and we were talking about my bike.  I said that the very next thing I was going to purchase was new women's specific saddle.  Just needed to save some cash.  Momma was awesome and said she would buy me one!  So I am off to research...

WTG everyone who got out in the cold and did something today! 

2012-01-15 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3991341

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-15 1:19 PM

Looking for a little motivation to start out the year and love the name of your group!  And the fact that you're a trail runner, too.

Love to join your group!

Hey there, Mary!  You're in!  I'll do my best to provide motivation.

2012-01-15 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

Alrighty...with the addition of Mary I went ahead and closed the group.  Now that we have a final list of members I'll see if I can remember how to make a table with everyone's name and a link to their blogs.  Wish me luck.

2012-01-15 4:20 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Hello all,

My name is Dawn and I was wondering if you had room for me in your group.  I live in Maine so getting out in the cold is getting challenging.  Today it was a 10 degree high so I stayed inside

I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 2010 and shortly after I hurt my knee and was in physical therapy all last winter.  I'm excited to go into 2012 season with the injury behind me. 

I completed my first triathlon last summer (Pirate Tri).  I also did several road races and the Dempsey Challenge (huge bike ride lead by Patrick Dempsey).  I plan on doing 2 to 3 tri's this year along with the Dempsey Challenge.  I've signed up for the Pirate Tri again and Rev3 is coming to Maine for the first time and I would love to do that.  They are offering a 1/2 Rev or Olympic distance.  I'm not sure if I could do the 1/2 Rev yet. 

I hope everyone's training is going well and that there is room in the group still!

Have a good night, Dawn

2012-01-15 4:21 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
I see the group is closed... I typed first read after...   No worries, have a great season everyone!
2012-01-15 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3991661

User image

sweet

Smile

2012-01-15 6:21 PM

User image

Bio - forgot about adding. 

got a pair of running shoes 7 birthdays and 40lbs ago - started running (hated the first year) and then swimming.  I was a huge follower of John Bingham - aka the Penguin - back of the pack was just fine with me.  The second year into all this a friend of mine talked me into a triathlon.  A sprint here in Springfield, Illinois.  A old mountain bike and a lot of determination got me to the finish line so estatic that i couldn't wait to do another.  That same year completed my first half and full marathons - I was hooked on the endurance thing.  A couple marathons and an ultra trail race the next year, but just was missing that tri-feeling! And the back of the pack was not an option any more   I got injured pushing myself too hard.

took a hiatus  gained a few pounds, and decided - to just shoot for the moon - a half ironman last year.  a friend offered up a great 8 month (yikes) training plan and I'm proud to say that I cried crossing the finish line of Ironman 70.3 Racine last year.  Of course the tears were of celebration, but also the fact I was running on a significant injury (bike accident two weeks before race).  I finished under 7 hours. Having my family at the finish line was priceless!

My husband of 27 years is a boston marathoner, but i needed a biking partner last year and dragged him along on those hot country roads.  This year in return, I'm teaching him to swim, he's bought a tri bike and the empty nest is filled with bike parts, weights, water bottles, boxes of E-gels and a huge drying rack for all our workout clothes. 

So much to learn about triathlon including nutrition, motivation, and balancing work life tri family - whew - looking forward to hearing how everyone does it!

This year is for revenge and new adventures!  Shooting for an injury free strong year and hopefully working my way up to the full monty in 2013. 

2012-01-15 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Got a really good swim in on Saturday. A couple 200s and more, I feel like i’m on my way. However this is more than week two.I guess I'll. Jump to the next week. Still working on adding the flip turns though.

Today I managed 22km on the bike. A good ride, not very many hills but tried to always go fast enough I could feel a little burn. I really need to read up moore about this, I've never ridden competitively, just watching Breaking Away and theTour every year. I'm really not sure what I need to do to get a good base before starting the time crunched program.

You all have done some good workouts this weekend this is going to really help me. Sorry this is so short but the weekend has just flown by, I'll. Try to contribute more tomorrow on my off day.
2012-01-15 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Brad-best way to get a good base is to ride, lots.  Ride mostly easy, but occasionally ride hard.  Ride up hills, into the wind, in bad weather; make yourself suffer a bit.  The mental toughness will pay off big later in the season.  Most important is (Time in the Saddle).

Mary-Welcome from a fellow Illini (near Danville, on the east side). 

I got a good 55 minutes of 'dread'mill work in today during the Packers collapse.  Followed by some serious self-tourture with a foam roller and 'stick'.  Gonna hit some heavy weights later this evening.

Happy Birthday Mr. King.  Thanks for the holiday.

2012-01-16 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Happy Monday everyone!  Is most everyone off for the MLK holiday?  The Dude has the day off and has promised me an afternoon movie date.  I'm very much looking forward to it.  I've worked the past few weekends so we haven't had a chance to spend any time together.  It's always nice when our days off collide.

For most of us Monday starts a new training week.  Did you accomplish all that you wanted to last week?  What's on your agenda for this week?

My goals for the week are to run 35 miles, do 2 trainer workouts, and actually go to the pool.  It's been ages.  I have a feeling that about 1500 yds and my arms will be so tired it will be hard to wash my hair afterwards!

2012-01-16 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3991597

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-01-15 4:35 PM

SRD for me today.  My mom came to visit the boys, and we were talking about my bike.  I said that the very next thing I was going to purchase was new women's specific saddle.  Just needed to save some cash.  Momma was awesome and said she would buy me one!  So I am off to research...

WTG everyone who got out in the cold and did something today! 

Awesome!  I've got two different brands that work for me.  I've got a Terry saddle on my road bike and the Cobb V-flow Max on my tri bike.  I've also heard really good things about Selle SMP saddles.  Check with your local bike shop.  They might have a program that will let you check out a saddle before you buy.  You might also see if they offer a basic bike fitting.  Getting your bike set up to fit your body goes a long way in making a saddle more comfortable.  Rather than paying for a fit you can take some measurements yourself and do some tweaking if need be.  Check out the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator.

2012-01-16 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3992072

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-01-15 9:41 PM Got a really good swim in on Saturday. A couple 200s and more, I feel like i’m on my way. However this is more than week two.I guess I'll. Jump to the next week. Still working on adding the flip turns though. Today I managed 22km on the bike. A good ride, not very many hills but tried to always go fast enough I could feel a little burn. I really need to read up moore about this, I've never ridden competitively, just watching Breaking Away and theTour every year. I'm really not sure what I need to do to get a good base before starting the time crunched program. You all have done some good workouts this weekend this is going to really help me. Sorry this is so short but the weekend has just flown by, I'll. Try to contribute more tomorrow on my off day.

Jeff pretty much hit the nail on the head - ride lots.  The cool thing with cycling is that you can add a lot more intensity to your workouts that you can with running.  With running you want to run easy nearly every single time out the door.  With cycling you can add intensity to every ride.  Feeling the burn is a good thing!  When I'm riding outdoors I usually spend about 20 minutes just getting warmed up with some easy riding.  During the middle portion of my ride I add in some intensity by either doing some steady riding at a pace where I'm feeling it in my legs (not so hard that I'm out of breath but I am breathing a little harder) or, if I'm on a traffic free stretch of road, I'll do shorter harder intervals like a race to the next light pole of mailbox or whatever (these really burn and I'm breathing heavy by the end).  I always end my ride with 10-20 minutes of easy riding.  When you're just starting out you won't be able to add as much intensity - if you're riding for an hour try adding 5-10 minutes of harder riding.  As you get more fit you'll be able to increase the percentage of time during a ride that you spend at a harder effort level.

Consistency is really the key to improving at this sport.  Week in and week out you just have to get out there and swim, bike and run.  Occasionally you'll miss a workout or need a break but if you look at folks on this website that are the fasties you'll see that they get out there and get it done week after week and year after year.

2012-01-16 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3991832

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-15 7:21 PM

Bio - forgot about adding. 

got a pair of running shoes 7 birthdays and 40lbs ago - started running (hated the first year) and then swimming.  I was a huge follower of John Bingham - aka the Penguin - back of the pack was just fine with me.  The second year into all this a friend of mine talked me into a triathlon.  A sprint here in Springfield, Illinois.  A old mountain bike and a lot of determination got me to the finish line so estatic that i couldn't wait to do another.  That same year completed my first half and full marathons - I was hooked on the endurance thing.  A couple marathons and an ultra trail race the next year, but just was missing that tri-feeling! And the back of the pack was not an option any more   I got injured pushing myself too hard.

took a hiatus  gained a few pounds, and decided - to just shoot for the moon - a half ironman last year.  a friend offered up a great 8 month (yikes) training plan and I'm proud to say that I cried crossing the finish line of Ironman 70.3 Racine last year.  Of course the tears were of celebration, but also the fact I was running on a significant injury (bike accident two weeks before race).  I finished under 7 hours. Having my family at the finish line was priceless!

My husband of 27 years is a boston marathoner, but i needed a biking partner last year and dragged him along on those hot country roads.  This year in return, I'm teaching him to swim, he's bought a tri bike and the empty nest is filled with bike parts, weights, water bottles, boxes of E-gels and a huge drying rack for all our workout clothes. 

So much to learn about triathlon including nutrition, motivation, and balancing work life tri family - whew - looking forward to hearing how everyone does it!

This year is for revenge and new adventures!  Shooting for an injury free strong year and hopefully working my way up to the full monty in 2013. 

I love your story!  I did my first tri on a big heavy commuter bike.  I remember hating everything about triathlon when I was swimming but by the time I crossed the finish line I was ready to sign up for another!  I also love that you tricked your husband into joining you in your tri adventure.  A little in-house rivalry can be a good motivator.  And it never hurts to have someone kick your butt out of bed and out the door for a workout.

What ultra trail race did you do?  Something in the area?  I'm in Lafayette, IN so not so far away from you Illini.  Depending on how the marathons go this year I've got my eye on an Ultra in 2013.

2012-01-16 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Wow there's a lot of Illini love here - I grew up in St. Joseph (a little town about 10 miles east of C-U) through middle school and went to U of I for law school.

I have to work today, but my family's at home, so it's kind of a win-win.

I got my 4 runs in for my training last week, so I'm happy with my accomplishments. Plus I finished my 6.5 in the freezing cold. (Yeah, I used to be a midwesterner, but now that I'm a "southernern" my blood has thinned...)

On deck this week is 4 runs (3/4/3/7-8). I'm also hoping to get on the trainer 1-2 times and strength train 2 times. But the runs are key workouts, so if I have to skip anything it will be bike or weights.

2012-01-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3990960

Fairfax, VA
jeffnboise - 2012-01-15 1:30 AM

Nichole,

The email idea was just me being to old and lazy to scroll through the thread; posting it is a better idea.

Re; Haven't been on bike in 2 years.  First thing is put some air in tires, not alot, but enough to inspect the sidewalls for cracks.  I would replace the tubes, 2 yrs is a long time.  Clean/lube chain with a product from the bike store (don't use WD40).  Check every bolt for tightness-good idea to slightly loosen, then snug up.  Do NOT overtighten anything-aluminum bolts/nuts will strip easy.  Check wheels for true, take an emery board to the brake pads and scuff them up a bit, clean rims to take off dust/grease.  Cables have probably stretched, if so, tighten them by backing the barrel adjusters OUT (counterclockwise).  You'll need 4/5/6/8/10 mm allen wrenches. That should get you out the door.  OR...take it to your LBS and ask them what they'll do for a "Safety Check", it covers most of this and it's often cheaper than a tune up.  

That's all I can think of right now, but it's late and I've been drinking....so let me know how all that works out.   jk (well, sorta.  

Haha! Got it.

Yeah, I figured I was missing some stuff. I use bike degreaser & lube where needed, but am never sure if the cables need anything. An old tri coach of mine told me to just spray wd-40 down them (???) Maybe he was drunk-teching too :D

A part of me wants to resolve this whole issue by getting a new bike... heheh

Thanks for the advice, gonna get it done tonight!
2012-01-16 9:51 AM

Fairfax, VA
This weekend was a bust because one of my dogs had to get emergency eye surgery. However, he is doing well now and is no longer paralyzed by the cone of shame ("I'm serious, lady, I can't pee with this thing on my head.")

Sometimes I feel like I need to set daily goals, especially when getting back on the wagon.

So, my goal for today is to work on my bike. Today's swim and run is not an issue, but working on the bike after work will require some motivation.

Hope you all have a great Monday!

Nicole
2012-01-16 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Good Morning all,

Still in AZ.  It's a double purpose trip pleasure(race) and work.  Will be back home Wed evening.  The race was awesome and in spite of only about 4 weeks of training I finished at a decent time for me.  I finished the half in 2:22.  I ran the Denver half in October at 2:30.  Progress is a good thing. 

On the course yesterday, I made up my mind.  I'm going to fully commit myself to completing the SOMA half iron distance race this fall in Tempe, AZ.  The race is 10/21/2012.  I already have the Denver half mary paid for on 9/22/2012, which will be a good lead up race.  I will now need to fill in some olys this summer and put a solid training plan together. 

Finding this group on BT and the training these past four weeks has really gotten me excited again about training at a much higher level and eating right!

Joey

2012-01-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3992723

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
No Mayo - 2012-01-16 8:41 AM
jeffnboise - 2012-01-15 1:30 AM

Nichole,

Haha! Got it. Yeah, I figured I was missing some stuff. I use bike degreaser & lube where needed, but am never sure if the cables need anything. An old tri coach of mine told me to just spray wd-40 down them (???) Maybe he was drunk-teching too :D A part of me wants to resolve this whole issue by getting a new bike... heheh Thanks for the advice, gonna get it done tonight!

Tri coach was right. WD40 is GOOD for cables-it's viscous and displaces water. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23