BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-25 12:37 AM
in reply to: #4547121

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Cassady - 2012-12-24 2:17 PM

Got a 17 mile ride in followed by 15 min easy run. Ate very well so far today and am heading out with the family for dinner. Will limit myself to 1 beer as I'm 299lbs and need to be 225 by July 25th.  This is doable as long as I am dedicated and disciplined.

Merry Christmas all.

Keep at it and it will keep at you.  Way to go on the brick today, and congrats on the self control and motivation.  Your an inspiration.  Keep at it.

Merry Christmas.

2012-12-25 12:51 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I get all fired up reading everyone's successes that I want to reply to all of you.  We have a real active thread here and a lot of positive motivation moving forward into the new year.  Keep it up all.

I am going to post a negative, but it is motivating me for the rest of the week.  Family and I were invited over to family friends house tonight.  She cooked a spiral ham with a brown sugar honey glaze in a crock pot all day, and escalloped potatoes with a few pounds of cheese, and Hola (sp) bread, a Jewish recipe, (Think sweet haiwian roles x10 with a honey glaze butter).  So the point is, I had about 4000 callories of rich food today.  I come home and split a bottle of wine with my mom, and finished off a bottle of whiskey.  Oh shoot.  I may have gained 4 lbs. today alone! Epic fail.

I am going to Christmas at the inlaws.  We are a large family, and each is bringing a dish for a potluck.  I may overeat tomorrow, and have already decided tomorrow is a rest day.  I have an ach in my left shin today, and a sore outside left foot.  I cah use tomorrow to rest as well as today.

The point of all this lack of self control is not to beat myself up, but to motivate me to future success.   My goal of 3:20:00 or bust still remains for May marathon.  I will train my a-- off starting Dec. 26th.  I may gain 6 lbs. today and tomorrow, but will lose 8 by the weeks end. 

Merry Christmas all, and to all a good night.

Keep posting!  It's good

2012-12-25 1:00 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

One more-

Any new years resolutions?

Mine is to drink less.  I am going to strive to save my imbibing to 1 or 2 really  quality 22 oz. bevi's a weekend, instead of 2-3 six packs a week.  My drive for this is to lose weight, and I can never afford the 22 oz. beers at $4.99 a bottle, but this way will be able to enjoy some of the beers I'd love to sample, but never get the chance to due to price.

2012-12-25 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4547369

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2012-12-25 12:51 AM

Oh shoot.  I may have gained 4 lbs. today alone! Epic fail.

The point of all this lack of self control is not to beat myself up, but to motivate me to future success.

Keep posting!  It's good

Right on Kevin!  Love the fact that you are using the last two days as motivation.  Or, you could see the smorgasbord as a reward for all of your hard work over the last year.  Remember that time when you woke up at 3:30 to get in a workout.  That kind of dedication earns you a free pass.  You are the man - Enjoy every delicious calorie!

In that spirit - guess what I'm having for breakfast... A milk coffee stout that a friend made.  It's pretty cool.  You get a milkiness from the lactose, sweetness from the malt, and coffee from the fresh grounds added in secondary.  Delicious.  

Now get your butts out there for a run.  You know you want to!

2012-12-25 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope your day is going well and you are spending time with loved ones.  I got my short jog in this morning in the fresh dusting of snow.  Did a 30 min jog in 21 degrees with 15 mph winds so I got to log a couple more points on the Crappy Weather Winter Challenge although I know I will never catch Darren!  Going to try to clean up all the boxes that got thrown in my workout room so I can get to the bowflex this afternoon.  

Kevin - I can completely relate.  I ate and drank way too well yesterday as well.  Will probably do the same today, but oh well like you said that just gives you motivation to get back and work out some more!  What kind of whiskey was on the menu?  I finally ended up choosing Glenlivet scotch for the drink of the night.  

Cassady - Great job on the bike and run yesterday!  

Dave - That milk coffee stout sounds awesome!  Stouts are my favorite!  

-Jared

2012-12-25 12:47 PM

New user

Hey there party people!

Merry Christmas to you all! So glad I made it in before the group closed. I love hearing about all the training success and the cautionary tales as well (make that tails for Bob – that is horrible. I am so sorry that happened to you – be safe out there)

It has been cold here by Napa standards so I have been a bit of a wimp about taking my bike on the road. I am taking advantage of the Cyclops trainer I got for my last birthday. I am going to have to get more weather friendly gear. I seriously don't know how all you Canadians do it. California girl here - waaaahh it's cold out. Forgive the extra emphasis on the waaahhh part

Got in 40 minutes yesterday and hope to do the same today during a cooking break. I also tracked my calories yesterday, regardless of what I ate. Like Kevin's, it wasn't a fueling day – more like hey look at this chocolate and look at this bread go down my gullet sort of day, but I tracked it anyway – trying to get back in the habit for the next couple of days. I will worry about WHAT I am eating tomorrow.

N00b question: what is the difference between a “broken” 5k and an “unbroken” one?

DQ: My December 5K was at the beginning of the month. It was a rough one. The course was fogged in. I couldn't see 10m in front of me the whole race. It is tough to run a race by yourself.  I am going to look for a 10K for sometime in Feb. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

2012-12-25 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4547609

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
snarky - 2012-12-25 11:47 AM

N00b question: what is the difference between a “broken” 5k and an “unbroken” one?

I was wondering the same thing glad I'm not the only newbie!  Good job on getting your trainer in between cooking breaks. I wimped out yesterday and decided it was either cooking or working out and cooking won!

-Jared

2012-12-25 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4547369

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
kevinbe - 2012-12-25 1:51 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I get all fired up reading everyone's successes that I want to reply to all of you.  We have a real active thread here and a lot of positive motivation moving forward into the new year.  Keep it up all.

I am going to post a negative, but it is motivating me for the rest of the week.  Family and I were invited over to family friends house tonight.  She cooked a spiral ham with a brown sugar honey glaze in a crock pot all day, and escalloped potatoes with a few pounds of cheese, and Hola (sp) bread, a Jewish recipe, (Think sweet haiwian roles x10 with a honey glaze butter).  So the point is, I had about 4000 callories of rich food today.  I come home and split a bottle of wine with my mom, and finished off a bottle of whiskey.  Oh shoot.  I may have gained 4 lbs. today alone! Epic fail.

I am going to Christmas at the inlaws.  We are a large family, and each is bringing a dish for a potluck.  I may overeat tomorrow, and have already decided tomorrow is a rest day.  I have an ach in my left shin today, and a sore outside left foot.  I cah use tomorrow to rest as well as today.

The point of all this lack of self control is not to beat myself up, but to motivate me to future success.   My goal of 3:20:00 or bust still remains for May marathon.  I will train my a-- off starting Dec. 26th.  I may gain 6 lbs. today and tomorrow, but will lose 8 by the weeks end. 

Keep posting!  It's good

Jesus was born so you could enjoy yourself today- so just do that but get back on track tomorrow. Also make sure not to over do your workout tomorrow as that can lead to injury. You have plenty of time to train for May. Be consistent and with a plan you will succeed!

Merry Christmas.

2012-12-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4547625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
kevinbe - 2012-12-25 1:51 AM

Jesus was born so you could enjoy yourself today- so just do that but get back on track tomorrow. Also make sure not to over do your workout tomorrow as that can lead to injury. You have plenty of time to train for May. Be consistent and with a plan you will succeed!

Merry Christmas.

+1 Doug well put

Merry Christmas everyone

2012-12-25 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Yes.... Can't be too hard on ourselves this time of year. But all the same I did pass on my third chocolate bacon brownie last night (some awesome paleo concoction my friend came up with). I think it is thanks to this group, and being somewhat accountable.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
2012-12-25 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

Hey All, Happy Christmas!

I didn't get my bike in today but otherwise had a great day.  Ate a bit too much, but didn't totally go overboard.  I got lots of fun tri-related gifts so I'm excited and motivated to try them out!!  I can't wait for the pool to open to try my new Garmin Swim.  Weeeeeee!

New Years Resolutions for me:

• Watch what I eat, not necessarily limit but just be more aware of what is going in my mouth
  • Get more consistent with my training - make time for it and me
  • Healthy evening snacks - we eat dinner early and go to bed late which always means I'm hungry around 9pm which is a terrible time to eat things

Anyone else?

2012-12-25 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4547885

User image

Expert
Wiff - 2012-12-25 9:23 PM

Hey All, Happy Christmas!

I didn't get my bike in today but otherwise had a great day.  Ate a bit too much, but didn't totally go overboard.  I got lots of fun tri-related gifts so I'm excited and motivated to try them out!!  I can't wait for the pool to open to try my new Garmin Swim.  Weeeeeee!

New Years Resolutions for me:

• Watch what I eat, not necessarily limit but just be more aware of what is going in my mouth
  • Get more consistent with my training - make time for it and me
  • Healthy evening snacks - we eat dinner early and go to bed late which always means I'm hungry around 9pm which is a terrible time to eat things

Anyone else?

Kim and Kevin - Thanks for getting us starting on thinking about New Year's Resolutions... I've been pondering mine and will try to post them once I put my finishing touches on them.

I got out for a run today after setting up the kids' playstation (something ironic about the fact that I was heading out to exercise after giving them something that would lead them to sit on their butts) and decided to do a 5K time trial.  I know that one of my primary goals is to get faster in 2013 so I wanted to get a baseline of where I am now.  I banged at a 28m 26s time which is a huge improvement from where I started from... So, now my goal is to improve 10% which if I did my math correctly means that I need to get it down to 25m 36s.  

Came home from the run and celebrated with a Troeg's Dreamweaver Wheat (GABF award winner), a Spatan, and a Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada.  

I had perhaps my best Christmas ever and I hope you had the same.  Tomorrow = Sufferfest (biking video).  

2012-12-25 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4546766

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-24 8:42 AM

Make the most of the holiday - and then get back at it when the holiday is over. 

That's the plan.

Got a great strength workout in; matched my PR on squats (3x8 at 135), so adding weight next time, then I turned around and ran my best 5k every, averaging an 11:47 pace, maintaining a zone 2 heart rate.  I was very skeptical of the "go slower to go faster" thing, but after two weeks, I've shaved 30 seconds off my pace.  I'm still slow as molasses, but it feels more like running and I'm more in control.  

In beer-related news, I'll show you my agenda for today:

2012-12-24_09-37-54_326

Merry Christmas to everyone!

-Charles

oh dear that does look like a tasty time.
2012-12-26 6:06 AM

User image

New user

Good morning, all --

Charles, what did you think of the Sam Double Bock?  That looked especially tasty.

I got up at the usual time even though I am on vacation and got six miles of running in, just to get it out of the way.  It was -5(F), and my eyelids actually froze just like Audrey's in Christmas Vacation.  But despite that minor setback it went well.  I am setting a goal to compete in the New England Trifest in Fairlee, VT on June 30.  They have both a half and an Olympic, and I am thinking the Olympic should be a reasonable goal.

Happy training, all!

Dan

2012-12-26 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4547989

User image

Veteran
Illinois
DBrew99 - 2012-12-26 6:06 AM

Charles, what did you think of the Sam Double Bock?  That looked especially tasty.

It's not subtle, it doesn't pair with food, and it basically ruins your palate for just about anything else for the evening.  In short, it's delicious, and overpowering.  They also age very well - that one has been sitting, waiting, for probably eight months, and the flavors meld and mellow and sharpen just a bit.  Also, at 9.5% ABV, it sneaks up on you.  

It's fair for me to say that Christmas was a blast, and a lesson in over-indulgence and wretched excess, and a reminder as to why the only sweet things in my house are greek yogurt.  

I did get some new toys, too - a footpod to pair with my Garmin FR70, and a Garmin Edge 500, plus A Life Without Limits by Chrissie Wellington.  We gave some great gifts this year, too.

A good Christmas, overall.

2012-12-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4547989

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
DBrew99 - 2012-12-26 4:06 AM

Good morning, all --

I got up at the usual time even though I am on vacation and got six miles of running in, just to get it out of the way.  It was -5(F), and my eyelids actually froze just like Audrey's in Christmas Vacation.  But despite that minor setback it went well.  I am setting a goal to compete in the New England Trifest in Fairlee, VT on June 30.  They have both a half and an Olympic, and I am thinking the Olympic should be a reasonable goal.

Happy training, all!

Dan

Way to go Dan

Sounds alot like my morning.  It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun, but I got it in and it's now done.  6.2 miles at a pedestrian 8:41/mi pace.  I also found that I have gained 4 lbs over 2 days.  Could be worse.

I'm thankful I'm running at 32 F and not -5F.  Good on you for getting out in that.

Kevin

2012-12-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4548022

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-26 4:59 AM
DBrew99 - 2012-12-26 6:06 AM

It's not subtle, it doesn't pair with food, and it basically ruins your palate for just about anything else for the evening.  In short, it's delicious, and overpowering.  They also age very well - that one has been sitting, waiting, for probably eight months, and the flavors meld and mellow and sharpen just a bit.  Also, at 9.5% ABV, it sneaks up on you.  

It's fair for me to say that Christmas was a blast, and a lesson in over-indulgence and wretched excess, and a reminder as to why the only sweet things in my house are greek yogurt.  

I did get some new toys, too - a footpod to pair with my Garmin FR70, and a Garmin Edge 500, plus A Life Without Limits by Chrissie Wellington.  We gave some great gifts this year, too.

A good Christmas, overall.

It's 7:45 am here, and that sounds extremely tasty.  I must look for this the next time I go to the candy store.  Let us know what you think of the book when you get a chance to read.
2012-12-26 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
got a 21k run in today. 5 days left and 100 km to go to get my nut in for the year, gonna be tight. -24C out today, so done with this. Thankfully it is set to break tomorrow.
2012-12-26 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Good to see everyone enjoying the Christmas season! You can't live on rice cakes and celery, sometimes you need to enjoy yourselves.

Back to work tomorrow with "work" and working out! Hoping to get a run and a bike tomorrow!

New years....going to start focusing on quality of workouts...really need to buckle down and improve bike and run.

David how are you enjoying your sufferfest video?

I may break down and buy one to try it out...which one did you get again?

Oh yeah back at my goal of 190 for Easter...

have a great day everyone!

2012-12-26 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

All.

Dealing with snow here in Dallas. I did get in a really good run (7 miles and almost got bit by a dog), then a good hilly bike (did get bit by a dog...minor) followed by a really short run with my dog.

Back to work today. Uggg.

TP says hit the pool today. Hmmm. We shall see.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale yesterday.

2012-12-26 11:05 AM

New user

Sounds like my kind of beer.  It also sounds like everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that they are ready to get back to work.  I know that I am.

Checked out a couple of upcoming events to add. There is a 500m open water swim race that happens 2 weeks before my Sprint. I think it might be a good time to swim next to other people in open water. I have never done that before, so I have been a little nervous about people swimming on top of me or hitting me or any other crazy stuff that might happen in the water and would freak me out and throw me off. Might be nice to “get my feet wet” before the TRI <---- cracking myself up over here.

New Year's resolution huh? Seems like the other goals I have for myself (10K, swim race, and Sprint Triathlon) could all be considered resolution goals, but if I want to make it a challenge, I should look at my weight or strength training. Not that the other things are not a challenge, but I feel that I have enough momentum at this point that THEY ARE GOING TO HAPPEN (perhaps not with flair, but I have no context to go for that) – so picking those might be too easy. Sounds like a cliché, but I am thinking about those 10 pounds I mentioned the other day. I lost some weight over the last year, but I kinda stalled and really hadn't been thinking about it. Maybe it should be on the table. Plus it would probably help with the flair part.

What are everyone's thoughts on recovery time between races? For my first season, is it reasonable that I could schedule one a month? One every six weeks? Maybe bookend the summer with road and trail races in between? Prices go up after the first, thought I would line the season up now.  

I don't think that I could ever run in conditions where my eyelids would freeze.  My hat is off to you, Dan.

-Elizabeth

2012-12-26 11:08 AM

New user

ugh, quotes missing from my post.

Bobby, what is the deal with the dogs in your neighborhood?  That is crazy.  I hope you were not injured.  

-Elizabeth

2012-12-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4548400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
snarky - 2012-12-26 10:05 AM

Sounds like my kind of beer.  It also sounds like everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that they are ready to get back to work.  I know that I am.

Checked out a couple of upcoming events to add. There is a 500m open water swim race that happens 2 weeks before my Sprint. I think it might be a good time to swim next to other people in open water. I have never done that before, so I have been a little nervous about people swimming on top of me or hitting me or any other crazy stuff that might happen in the water and would freak me out and throw me off. Might be nice to “get my feet wet” before the TRI

New Year's resolution huh? Seems like the other goals I have for myself (10K, swim race, and Sprint Triathlon) could all be considered resolution goals, but if I want to make it a challenge, I should look at my weight or strength training. Not that the other things are not a challenge, but I feel that I have enough momentum at this point that THEY ARE GOING TO HAPPEN (perhaps not with flair, but I have no context to go for that) – so picking those might be too easy. Sounds like a cliché, but I am thinking about those 10 pounds I mentioned the other day. I lost some weight over the last year, but I kinda stalled and really hadn't been thinking about it. Maybe it should be on the table. Plus it would probably help with the flair part.

What are everyone's thoughts on recovery time between races? For my first season, is it reasonable that I could schedule one a month? One every six weeks? Maybe bookend the summer with road and trail races in between? Prices go up after the first, thought I would line the season up now.  

I don't think that I could ever run in conditions where my eyelids would freeze.  My hat is off to you, Dan.

-Elizabeth

I would definitely try get a shorter OW swim in. I am a strong swimmer and I found and open swim pretty intimidating as there is no end of the pool to rest at!

As far as races go it would depend on your fitness/recovery level and what distance of races. Sprints, one a month I think is easily done. In my first year, I am pretty sure I would have not enjoyed myself with back to back Oly's within a month. In the end only you will know what works for you.

I did 2 sprints and 2 oly's my first year.

Edited by thor67 2012-12-26 11:33 AM
2012-12-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4548382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2012-12-26 9:51 AM

All.

Dealing with snow here in Dallas. I did get in a really good run (7 miles and almost got bit by a dog), then a good hilly bike (did get bit by a dog...minor) followed by a really short run with my dog.

Back to work today. Uggg.

TP says hit the pool today. Hmmm. We shall see.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale yesterday.

Man, you need to stop stuffing your pockets with steak! Laughing

Nice job on the run and the pale ale!

2012-12-26 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: In 2010 Sister Madonna, at 70 years old ran across my t.v. screen, (for the third or fourth time that fall) and I swear she looked over at me and said, "Why aren't you doing this?" So I threw my chips down and in my most annoyed teenager voice said, "Alright, Sister Madonna, I will do it!  Geez!"  And that's how I started.  No bike, hated, I mean HATED running, and could not swim.  Learned by doing and did a sprint that next summer just to see if I could.  I am a mental midget when it comes to training and these past few months I have not been motivated at all! Thanks to the DQ and the others on our beer drinkers group they have kept me in touch with my inner triathlete and whatever little motivation I have felt this fall has come from these great guys.  At my heaviest I weighed 235, (about 10 years ago) and lost 70lbs just making changes...haven't lost a pound doing tris but I am more fit than ever!

FAMILY STATUS: My support team includes my husband of 28 years, yes that is a long time and yes we are that old! He provides me with tons of encouragement.  He was previously a bodybuilder so he gets the training.   Kids, three girls, 28, 24, 22 and one punk and a half of a grandson! He is a great cheerleader to, nothing like hearing, "Go Grandma!" during a race.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am suppose to be training for a half marathon but have not started or to be more accurate I keep restarting.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I did the Rock and Roll Oly in San Diego and finished dead last!  So my goal last year was to do that race again and not finish dead last.  I moved up a few hundred places and improved my time by 20 mins or so.  

2013 RACES:  I watched the Malibu race this year and would really like to add that to my list.  It is a week after my San Diego race so I may replace the Rock and Roll with Malibu.  The atmosphere and vibe are amazing!

WEIGHT LOSS: I gained about 5 pounds in the last two months because of lack of training.  But what is worst is how squishy I feel...its gross!  So I want to firm up again and get back on track.  Losing 25-30 lbs would be great too! 

Favorite Beer: I like porters and stouts so I can't drink too many of those.  My fav of all time came from Caldera Brewery in Ashland, OR over the thanksgiving weekend in 2011.  It is creamy, decadent and like Christmas in your mouth, it is their seasonal Toasted Coconut Chocolate Porter!  To die for!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97