BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-02-10 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4560540

User image

Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!

Hello everyone! I have been lacking posting. I just got my training log caught up for the week. I have been have metatarsal pain when I run. So I bought new shoes yesterday and did the hamster wheel run (aka, on a treadmill), and it was the runner, not the shoes. My race is in three weeks I think (10KM), so I am a little bummed, but still going to run never-the-less. Toe pain be darned. I have order a pair of FiveFingers to strengthen my ridiculously high arches during my everyday out and about and my friend and physio suggested a metatarsal pad, so off to the orthodics place with me tomorrow. -groans- Oh the life of runners.

Have a great week everyone. I hope to check in a little more often, but with the dance show quickly approaching, I am finding myself with less free time!

2013-02-10 11:07 AM

User image

QUESTION!!

I am a larger chested gal (34 F) and I wear very specific bras to run in and really any other impact sport like my dancing. It has just occurred to me that a tri-suit may not have the support I need. A shelf bra does not cut it. Thoughts from the ladies who are more experienced? Or if they have finds who are more experienced... Thank you!

PS: I just registered for my Try-a-Tri for May 5.. EEEKK!!

2013-02-10 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4616318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
RunningReenie - 2013-02-10 9:07 AM

QUESTION!!

I am a larger chested gal (34 F) and I wear very specific bras to run in and really any other impact sport like my dancing. It has just occurred to me that a tri-suit may not have the support I need. A shelf bra does not cut it. Thoughts from the ladies who are more experienced? Or if they have finds who are more experienced... Thank you!

PS: I just registered for my Try-a-Tri for May 5.. EEEKK!!

I have a one piece suit. I also have a 2 piece. The one piece has almost no support even though it has a built-in bra. The bra zips in front. I'm only a 34b and still prefer/need a sportsbra underneath. A one piece & 2 piece have both pros & cons. Try a few on to see which feel good. And have a good bra for extra support.
2013-02-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4616318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
PERFECT question!!!

I'm a 36B/C (nursed 3 kids, I gotta roll and tuck the chest area). Anyway SHELF BRAS do not cut it. At All. I wear a very tight sports bra and then apply copious amounts of aquaphor or body glide under the bottom band of the bra as it rubs like crazy. For the marathon I had tons of people suggest expensive bras but the best for me was a cheap one I found on clearance that holds every thing down pretty flat.

I also STRONGLY dislike tri suits. I'm six foot tall. So there is no tri suit out there for a woman that fits me. The tops all become crop tops. Instead I race in a pair of tri shorts and a nice strongs sports bra and the PR Tank by Athleta. It's cute (I like to be cute) and LONG (down towards the hips) and has two rear pockets. I've raced in various versions for 2 seasons and am getting ready to order a new one for this season.

----How are the challenges going this month if you are doing one? As of today I'm at 65 miles for my bike...still really hoping to make 150, but my last possible day to bike is Wed the 27th as my trainer and the bike get packed up that day. Yesterday morning I had my very last early morning cold group run. It was 16, frost formed on our eyelashes and in our hair- it was really pretty. I wore a sun dress annd lei over top of my cold weather running clothes for my friends. we did a little over 7 and it took forever for me to warm back up!
2013-02-10 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Anne, I love Athleta's stuff! I've bought many swimsuits from them. They hold up very well even with the chlorine from the pool. I too like to look cute and Athleta helps with coverage but not frumpy and super cute colors. I'm going to check out that pr tank! The last magazine prompted me to dog-ear the page with the tri shorts and tank (longer)... Hmmmm. . I am at 78 miles for this months riding. Pretty sure I'll complete my goal. Worried abt my runs.. Or rather lack thereof. Heading out for a short 3 to see how the shins feel.**will stretch afterward!!**. Your ride #s look good so far. . A few more good rides before you pack it up and BAM!!!...your Goal of 150 will be done!!
2013-02-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4616349

User image

AKR18 - 2013-02-10 10:41 AM PERFECT question!!! I'm a 36B/C (nursed 3 kids, I gotta roll and tuck the chest area). Anyway SHELF BRAS do not cut it.Instead I race in a pair of tri shorts and a nice strongs sports bra and the PR Tank by Athleta. It's cute (I like to be cute) and LONG (down towards the hips) and has two rear pockets. I've raced in various versions for 2 seasons and am getting ready to order a new one for this season.

Do you wear a bra underneath? I am looking at my running bra and thinking it will absorb a LOT of water.

2013-02-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4617142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
RunningReenie - 2013-02-11 9:19 AM

AKR18 - 2013-02-10 10:41 AM PERFECT question!!! I'm a 36B/C (nursed 3 kids, I gotta roll and tuck the chest area). Anyway SHELF BRAS do not cut it.Instead I race in a pair of tri shorts and a nice strongs sports bra and the PR Tank by Athleta. It's cute (I like to be cute) and LONG (down towards the hips) and has two rear pockets. I've raced in various versions for 2 seasons and am getting ready to order a new one for this season.

Do you wear a bra underneath? I am looking at my running bra and thinking it will absorb a LOT of water.

OH YES I wear a running bra under Everything!

Keep in mind that clothes and water absorbtion is not bad during a tri- you dry off during the bike. However, you don't want to wear a padded bra, just like you don't want to wear padded bike shorts.
2013-02-11 2:59 PM

User image

Master

I'm still here, too  So we are still 4 strong!

Ended up with a couple of wogging miles over the weekend and did my yoga class this afternoon.  Hoping for a few more wogging miles tomorrow.  Hubbs just switched to working 10 hour days and with the daylight short and having the kiddo every day after school, I'm just not getting much training in.  

As far as the tops for working out, I like lots of support (NO WIRES).  I'm not endowed well (34b) by any stretch of the imagination and have only nursed 1 kid, but support = comfort.  I wear a sports bra under a tri top.  It does absorb some water, but heh...if dudes can reach in and adjust as they go, I can grab a hand full of boob and squeeze some water out!  

Have a great week y'all

2013-02-12 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
HI gals!

It's Fat Tuesday.....king cakes where you live? How do you celebrate? In Toledo we have a huge Polish part of the population (including my hsuband's family) so we eat Paczki (poonchki)- thick dough that is fried then filled with creme or custard or fruit fillings (my favorite is apricot). Traditionally, you used up all of your perishables (butter, eggs) the tuesday before lent started and they made these cakes at home. they are covered in powdered sugar and DeLICIOUS!

On a different note.....I went for my 1 year re-check with my neurologist. In Feb 2006 I was very sick and diagnosed with Migraines.....by 2011 I had weakness on my left side and partial paraylisis in my face. Dec 2012 I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraine- thanks to the diagnosis and new medicine, I am almost migraine free, today they discovered my left side is fully recovered, and they cleared me to train for 140.6 whenever I decide to. I showed off my medal from my first marathon this fall, and my 70.3 in august, and my neurologist congratulated me and told me I am the example they give their other patients- but most of them do not do anything, as this is a scary neurological disease, and you do live in fear of the next "attack". My doctor described me as fearless- and not even a week ago a tri friend gave me a bracelet that says "fearless".

I celebrated by going to swim for an hour. I love the pool. And I'll fit in a run once my oldest is home and can help watch the younger kids.

Hope everyone is having a good week and training!
2013-02-12 3:39 PM

User image

Thanks for the bra help, ladies! I am still not convinced I have a workable soloution as I think my bra will absorb too much water.

crews: Thank you!! That made me laugh, the bit about adjusting and squeezing out water! LOL

Anne: I am 5'11", so I guess I will do the two piece thing too.

We are having pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. It's a spelt recipe with protein powder and unsweetned almond milk. I have yet to try out the recipe, but I am hoping it will be tasty. My husband is excited to have pancakes, so I have done good thus far. Now to deliver. :-)

Anne: Glad to hear you have been doing well. Health is so crucial.

2013-02-12 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Anne: the power of modern medicine! So glad it worked in your favor and recovered ! And those medals deserve to be shown off!! Lots of sweat & sacrifice went into those!! Congrats on your health & completion of two tough races. It's funny even thou this year has just begin and I have my races planned out I'm already thinking of next year!! I really want to do a Marathon. I've ran several half-Mary's and fear has held me back from doing a full. I need to step out of my comfort zone and to one!! FEARLESS!! How would you say a marathon & HIM differ in difficulty? Which In your opinion is harder?

2013-02-12 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Oh and Fat Tuesday?... Yes, the mirror proves it certainly is!!! Ugh. Seriously need to get my nutrition in ck. I'm a clean eater from morning to 3:00. Then it all downhill from there.- Everything finds its way to my mouth. What gives?!!
2013-02-12 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4619611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I signed up for teh marathon and THEN signed up for the HIM.

Which was harder? THE HIM. It made my marathon enjoyable.
2013-02-12 8:58 PM

User image

I am sad to report it is too windy to run here tonight... 90 km per hour gusts. So.. Because of the impending dance show and that I do not have much luck at false eyelashes, I am spending the night setting my hair in pin curls, practicing applying false eyelashes, and lacquering my nails. Truly a Fancy Pants at this point. LOL.

Have a most enjoyable evening gals...  Say a small prayer for me and the looming bottle of eyelash glue. Kiss
2013-02-13 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I would end up gluing my fingers to my eyelids, or worse! Good Luck!!!!

2013-02-13 7:33 PM

New user

Hello all! Glad to catch up on posts and get back in the groove. I have been out of town a lot lately and haven't kept up with logging workouts or anything else for that matter. I did catch up on the training log tonight. I have a few days where I wasn't training per se, but did get in some activity...except today. Couldn't make it happen today. But I am back home for a few days and have a good plan (I think). Run tomorrow, swim class on Friday and bike Saturday, run Sunday. I may bike on Friday too. I am still hoping to make my century goal with the biking. I am only at about 22 miles right now but as I updated my log I realized I had only biked twice so far this month. I am still doing pretty short distances and I am okay with that as long as I am still moving and can complete my races admirably. My first tri is a short sprint on March 9, so it is just around the corner!!! A year ago I didn't even think I could run, much less do a triathlon. I was 30 pounds heavier and way less active. The distances for my first race are: 300 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run. I am not worried about completing or any of the distances. My goal is to run the full 5k. I am losing the mental game with running right now and walking more than I would like. Hopefully as spring hits and I start to actually do some events I will find a bit more passion for the running. I have done a few bricks but plan to do a few more before the race. 

I am starting to gather my gear so I can practice some with transitioning. I appreciate the bra and gear advice. It is pretty much the direction I was planning on- two pieces and a sports bra for sure. I was thinking I could swim in tri-shorts, sports bra and tankini top. Then in transition, off with the swim top, on with the tri shirt...? Does that sound like a workable plan. I am not planning to wear anything under the shorts. Any thoughts about that? I am open to any and all suggestions. Seriously, I don't care about being a newbie or the fact that I am solidly Athena class. AND...I would really like to not look like an idiot....in my fancy pants!!! Kiss

2013-02-13 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
I don't work tomorrow. So Heres my plan: drop kids off at school, while there im going to run 4 miles. Come home. Throw on my bike shoes and ride my 13 mi loop. That will put me at about 90 bike miles. Still lagging with my runs although haven't had any shin pain on my last few runs. Thank goodness. Quickie shower and then off to the outlets to look for something to buy with my birthday giftcard fromPearl Uzumi! So excited. I'm needing a lightweight & !bright! jacket. I need those cars to see me on the road!
2013-02-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4621488

User image

Master

EV3110 - 2013-02-13 7:49 PM I don't work tomorrow. So Heres my plan: drop kids off at school, while there im going to run 4 miles. Come home. Throw on my bike shoes and ride my 13 mi loop. That will put me at about 90 bike miles. Still lagging with my runs although haven't had any shin pain on my last few runs. Thank goodness. Quickie shower and then off to the outlets to look for something to buy with my birthday giftcard fromPearl Uzumi! So excited. I'm needing a lightweight & !bright! jacket. I need those cars to see me on the road!

YaY for no shin pain!

Heck Yeah for getting to shop for tri gear w/o kiddos in tow

2013-02-14 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Got the 4 mile run in. Drove home & went straight to garage to top off my tires. Front FLAT!!! Arrrr Crap!!... And I used my only tube last week! ... LBS doesn't open til 10. . Good news... More shopping time. ... But I'd rather be riding.
2013-02-14 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4622241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
EV3110 - 2013-02-14 12:06 PM

Got the 4 mile run in. Drove home & went straight to garage to top off my tires. Front FLAT!!! Arrrr Crap!!... And I used my only tube last week! ... LBS doesn't open til 10. . Good news... More shopping time. ... But I'd rather be riding.

Ah that stinks! But hoping you got a bright jacket! My favorite jacket- I wear it all the time - even when not training- is a Pearl Izumi jacket.

Funny how many of my sports clothes become workout clothes.

By the way- Happy valentine's day everyone! I ran (even though my legs did not want to) for my short run today. almost bagged it but did it and was happy I did. even a short run means I keep my goal of 3 runs per week.

Now it's shower time (didn't happen after swim- had to get the 3 year old to the dr to get her cast off) and make valentine's day dinner for my girls. No one really ate dinner last night (sloppy joes and fries) so let's see how well they do or don't eat homemade fried rice, dumplings.....at least we have chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert!

Hope everyone had a sweet day!
2013-02-14 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4622241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
EV3110 - 2013-02-14 12:06 PM

Ah that stinks! But hoping you got a bright jacket! My favorite jacket- I wear it all the time - even when not training- is a Pearl Izumi jacket.

Funny how many of my sports clothes become workout clothes.

By the way- Happy valentine's day everyone! I ran (even though my legs did not want to) for my short run today. almost bagged it but did it and was happy I did. even a short run means I keep my goal of 3 runs per week.

Now it's shower time (didn't happen after swim- had to get the 3 year old to the dr to get her cast off) and make valentine's day dinner for my girls. No one really ate dinner last night (sloppy joes and fries) so let's see how well they do or don't eat homemade fried rice, dumplings.....at least we have chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert!

Hope everyone had a sweet day!

2013-02-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4622835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Bought an orange lightweight jacket to double while riding and running!  The sleeves zip off and waaalaaa! I now have a vest!  How convienient!  Its exactly what Ive been looking for.  Bought a visor too.  Best part is I still have $99 left on the giftcard! whoot! 

I posted a question on Triathlon Talk forum and I ask you all too.

I want my bike fitness to be solid going into my HIM.  (notice I didnt say fast ) My Question is how many times should/would you advise me to ride at least 56ish miles prior to the race? ...is more bettter?  And WHEN are those long miles most beneficial to bike fitness?...a month out?... 3 weeks?   Last year was my first time training on my road bike.  I used this BT plan for my Half aquabike race.   I think I rode 2-3 40milers And one 54miler prior to race day. I rode the 54 miler just 2 weeks prior to the race.  The remainder of my rides were between 12-25 ish.  

For this years HIM, Im using the same HIM training plan.  It goes by minutes not miles.  The longest training ride says 3 hours..and had I only ridden the 3 hours (last yr) as suggested, I would have only got in about 45ish miles and I dont think I would have been best trained had I not increased milage on my own. 

So back to the question:   How many 50+mile rides should I have under my belt prior to HIM for best fitness?  And WHEN should those rides take place?

2013-02-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4622912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
EV3110 - 2013-02-14 6:30 PM

Bought an orange lightweight jacket to double while riding and running!  The sleeves zip off and waaalaaa! I now have a vest!  How convienient!  Its exactly what Ive been looking for.  Bought a visor too.  Best part is I still have $99 left on the giftcard! whoot! 

I want my bike fitness to be solid going into my HIM.  (notice I didnt say fast ) My Question is how many times should/would you advise me to ride at least 56ish miles prior to the race? ...is more bettter?  And WHEN are those long miles most beneficial to bike fitness?...a month out?... 3 weeks?   Last year was my first time training on my road bike.  I used this BT plan for my Half aquabike race.   I think I rode 2-3 40milers And one 54miler prior to race day. I rode the 54 miler just 2 weeks prior to the race.  The remainder of my rides were between 12-25 ish.  

For this years HIM, Im using the same HIM training plan.  It goes by minutes not miles.  The longest training ride says 3 hours..and had I only ridden the 3 hours (last yr) as suggested, I would have only got in about 45ish miles and I dont think I would have been best trained had I not increased milage on my own. 

So back to the question:   How many 50+mile rides should I have under my belt prior to HIM for best fitness?  And WHEN should those rides take place?

I believe your LONGEST ride should be 2 weeks prior to your even, then you should begin to taper.
As I am a mid-to-back of the packer, i do not use the training plans that go by minutes, and instead train by miles.

My longest ride 2 weeks out from my HIM was 65. It was supposed to be 60.

Yes you need to be strong on the bike; I would suggest that you slowly increase distance over time with your longest ride (60 miles) being 2 weeks out. I would aim to be at least at 50 miles for my long ride by 4 weeks out.

More importantly- get in the habit of hopping off your bike at the end and running, even if it's only 1-2 miles. Brick workouts are super important for the HIM distance. After my 65 miler I got off the bike and my husband said now let's go run and I wanted to murder him. But I did run a mile. and this year I will do a LOT more of those bricks.

2013-02-16 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4624119

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
AKR18 - 2013-02-15 11:51 AM
EV3110 - 2013-02-14 6:30 PM

I believe your LONGEST ride should be 2 weeks prior to your even, then you should begin to taper.As I am a mid-to-back of the packer, i do not use the training plans that go by minutes, and instead train by miles.My longest ride 2 weeks out from my HIM was 65. It was supposed to be 60.Yes you need to be strong on the bike; I would suggest that you slowly increase distance over time with your longest ride (60 miles) being 2 weeks out. I would aim to be at least at 50 miles for my long ride by 4 weeks out.More importantly- get in the habit of hopping off your bike at the end and running, even if it's only 1-2 miles. Brick workouts are super important for the HIM distance. After my 65 miler I got off the bike and my husband said now let's go run and I wanted to murder him. But I did run a mile. and this year I will do a LOT more of those bricks.
--- thanks. In retrospect I didnt ride enough of those 50+ rides prior to my aquabike last year. I rode a good race and went "all out" on the bike because i knew I didnt have to run afterward. It's going to be a little trickier this year because I have to keep in mind I've got 13.1 on those same legs! Smarter training this year. I'm learning! And yes! I definitely need to add in more bricks. I was pretty good about it last year but haven't done one as of yet. So a girlfriend and I will be riding in 30 min. So I just text her and told her to bring her sneakers for a short brick workout. She responded "great". I responded "se you being sarcastic right now?" ??
2013-02-16 2:51 PM

User image

Happy Saturday everyone! I hope everyone is staying on track! The metatarsal pad works great on my right foot. The left is still a b***h. Less of one with the pad, but still. Next step is x-ray for stress fracture and check out from a foot doctor. Yuck. If no stress fracture, going for cortisone. I think. I just want my stupid left foot to not hurt. -sigh- Problems of runners.

Have an awesome rest of weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  

of 9