BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-02-01 10:17 PM
in reply to: #4605051

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED
MadMathemagician - 2013-02-01 4:15 PM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 2:31 PM

NOTE TO EVERYONE ABOUT SWIMMING

I'll try to explain it more clearly and in more detail when it's not 4am.

I dislike the term "pull" because it makes it sound like you pull the water with your arm. IMO even though most triathletes just don't swim often, far, or hard enough for that to be cause of any shoulder problems, if there is arm or shoulder strain (particularly at the acromion process ... basically, the intersection of the end of your shoulder and the top of your arm) it comes from using the arm to pull, instead of using body rotation by way of lats (most notably felt where your back meets your armpit) and obliques (those side-wall abdominal muscles just above the hips).

You roll your hip to point at the bottom of the pool in order to get your arm outstretched in front of you as far as possible for the catch (where hand meets water after above-water recovery). It's like twisting your body to reach something on a high shelf. As you anchor the arm in the water vertically (as in my avatar), instead of pulling back with the arm, you want to use body rotation (make the other hip point at the bottom of the pool) to drive the arm back. Your arm doesn't actually have to move all that much; only the angles change a bit as goes through the pull phase

The lats (latissimus dorsi) especially but also the obliques are huge trunk muscles that can generate and tolerate a lot of tension. It's a lot better to learn to "pull" by using these muscles to drive body rotation (and the arm back during the pull and outstretched forward for the catch) than it is by stressing the relatively weaker and less stable arm anatomy, muscles and joints.

The Three Styles of FreeStyle Swimming  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSCA_J5fP0&list=FL8H5sjD-Xe4uXl... Yanti is a proponent of the hip driven style of freestyle. 

Thank you for the clarification.  As a long time, advanced swimmer I am amazed at how much I am learning about swimming by the discussions and comments from yourself and Yanti.  I love hearing other perspectives and learning from them.  

Thanks again.  

2013-02-01 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Master
My house is abed except for me and my poor boy. I think the antibiotics are working but they seem so slow! I haven't had a decent night's sleep since last week, and tonight I finally broke down with a good cry. I hate not being able to fix the pain I planned to swim tonight....didn't happen. Couldn't leave him with in-laws when he was crying for mom/dad to hold him.I know there are several answers to my plea for swim help. Thank you! Thank you! I WILL respond and watch videos/links tomorrow.
2013-02-01 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4605256

User image

Master

4agoodlife - 2013-02-01 8:27 PM My house is abed except for me and my poor boy. I think the antibiotics are working but they seem so slow! I haven't had a decent night's sleep since last week, and tonight I finally broke down with a good cry. I hate not being able to fix the pain I planned to swim tonight....didn't happen. Couldn't leave him with in-laws when he was crying for mom/dad to hold him.I know there are several answers to my plea for swim help. Thank you! Thank you! I WILL respond and watch videos/links tomorrow.

Cry.  I'm so sorry that your boy is not well.  It's so hard when they are sick and you can't fix them.  Sometimes letting the stress out via a good cry leaves you with the strength you need to keep on.  Hang in there, prayers from here for quick healing.

2013-02-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4605051

User image

Melon Presser
MadMathemagician - 2013-02-02 8:15 AM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 2:31 PM

I dislike the term "pull" because it makes it sound like you pull the water with your arm. IMO even though most triathletes just don't swim often, far, or hard enough for that to be cause of any shoulder problems, if there is arm or shoulder strain (particularly at the acromion process ... basically, the intersection of the end of your shoulder and the top of your arm) it comes from using the arm to pull, instead of using body rotation by way of lats (most notably felt where your back meets your armpit) and obliques (those side-wall abdominal muscles just above the hips).

You roll your hip to point at the bottom of the pool in order to get your arm outstretched in front of you as far as possible for the catch (where hand meets water after above-water recovery). It's like twisting your body to reach something on a high shelf. As you anchor the arm in the water vertically (as in my avatar), instead of pulling back with the arm, you want to use body rotation (make the other hip point at the bottom of the pool) to drive the arm back. Your arm doesn't actually have to move all that much; only the angles change a bit as goes through the pull phase

The lats (latissimus dorsi) especially but also the obliques are huge trunk muscles that can generate and tolerate a lot of tension. It's a lot better to learn to "pull" by using these muscles to drive body rotation (and the arm back during the pull and outstretched forward for the catch) than it is by stressing the relatively weaker and less stable arm anatomy, muscles and joints.

The Three Styles of FreeStyle Swimming  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSCA_J5fP0&list=FL8H5sjD-Xe4uXl... Yanti is a proponent of the hip driven style of freestyle. 

Not really. Mike Bottom created these categories and Gary Hall Sr. did a lot to promote them--to further detail them in making recommendations for (ultimately) triathletes.

Hip-driven, shoulder-driven, and hybrid are ultimately three arbitrary categories and it's difficult to define/describe them (even Hall Sr. makes several distinctions and has some disagreement with Bottom's descriptions).

I read a lot about it a couple years ago when GHS was writing for both ST and BT, but really couldn't quite pull useful recommendations from them.

Also, I'm not blind (nor were I assume most of the people who were commenting on ST about hip driven v. shoulder driven ... which aren't mutually exclusive in any case and there's a big overlap between them which may or may not fall into the hybrid category), but I've watched a ton of swimmers live as well as swimming video footage (including what Bottom and Hall use to try to prove their points!) and I still don't see top-end long-distance freestylers rotating their shoulders more than their hips. Their shoulders just don't dip down deep into the water. Swimmers have enormous shoulders and putting that whole thing down into the water instead of having it only partially submerged and flat at the surface would create some serious drag.

It could be that I'm really genuinely not seeing it (gorilla on the basketball court). If thinking about freestyle in these categories is helpful in some way to people, that's great. I just don't get the distinctions or application. There are a lot of competing ideas about exactly how propulsion is accomplished in swimming, and "shoulder driven" or "hip driven" doesn't wind up making a whole hell of a difference. I honestly think it's a semantic and visualization difference more than anything. If someone's freestyle improves because they're thinking of their shoulders or hips "driving" the rotation, great.

Also, to be perfectly clear, you don't actually want your hip pointing at the bottom of the pool--that is definitely more of a visualization than a to-do (just like your hands really should NOT enter and catch the water at 10 and 2 o'clock, but that's the visualization that works for most people).

What drives rotation, hips or shoulders? Both. What INITIATES rotation is a matter of some debate, but I fall pretty squarely into "the kick" camp.

2013-02-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4605262

User image

Master
bcraht - 2013-02-01 8:34 PM

4agoodlife - 2013-02-01 8:27 PM My house is abed except for me and my poor boy. I think the antibiotics are working but they seem so slow! I haven't had a decent night's sleep since last week, and tonight I finally broke down with a good cry. I hate not being able to fix the pain I planned to swim tonight....didn't happen. Couldn't leave him with in-laws when he was crying for mom/dad to hold him.I know there are several answers to my plea for swim help. Thank you! Thank you! I WILL respond and watch videos/links tomorrow.

Cry.  I'm so sorry that your boy is not well.  It's so hard when they are sick and you can't fix them.  Sometimes letting the stress out via a good cry leaves you with the strength you need to keep on.  Hang in there, prayers from here for quick healing.

Thank you, Kirsten. He woke up after a full night's sleep in his own bed and his face is at least 50% less swollen! Yes!!!! He is being his goofy self again with Lego sound effects and ninja moves I am breathing a sigh of relief.

2013-02-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4605262

User image

Master

Thank you, Kirsten. He woke up after a full night's sleep in his own bed and his face is at least 50% less swollen! Yes!!!! He is being his goofy self again with Lego sound effects and ninja moves I am breathing a sigh of relief.

2013-02-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4604772

User image

Master
TriAya - 2013-02-01 12:31 PM

That's a really helpful description...I know what that feels like and how to get my body in that position (out of water, at least).

2013-02-02 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4604859

User image

Master
Muskrat37 - 2013-02-01 1:17 PM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 12:08 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-02-02 3:55 AM

I'm going to be swimming again tonight and I'm curious about people's opinions...

I'm a slooow swimmer (about 2:30/100). Everything about swimming, besides just basics, is new to me. I've read Swim Speed Secrets (refer to it quite often) and watched a Terry Laughlin TI video. Trying to work on getting a decent pull in the water (not easy or "natural" for anyone, right?). When my DH watches me swim, he points out issues I have like swimming too flat...and I really appreciate his input!

But my main question is this...how much do you think I should let my focus "wander" away from getting the pull right? Is thinking about body roll, head position, etc. just jumbling what I need to be doing?

That's a tough question to answer. I guess the way I look at it, everything is done in order to get the pull right. No pull, no propulsion.

How long/far can you hold 2:30/100 (meters or yards?) for?

I would suggest focusing on one thing at a time.

#1 is balance.  You have to get balanced in the water.  When you work on balance -work on front to back AND left to right.  Front to back means your hips are high in the water.  

#2 your roll - A follow up to the "balance" focus.  This is where you can work on left to right balance

#3 your pull.  If you are balanced front to back AND left to right - you can now begin to focus on your catch and pull.  

A good pull with bad balance will mean you are working way, way to hard to move forward in the water. This can lead to overuse muscle injuries - and bad habits.

You should get very, very balanced in the water before changing your focus.  You can swim a lap and see how moving your head, pushing down with your chest, changing your kick etc all affect where your hips are in relation to the rest of your body.  When you feel balanced you have mastered balance, grab a pull buoy and then focus on your stroke.  You can then forget about your hips (the pull buoy raises them for you) and your kick and just focus on the catch and pull for a few laps.  Alternate between the 2 so you don't get too bored.  

Here are a couple of video's I like on the web that demonstrate some drills you can work on. 

Balance drill (front to back)

Balance (left to right)

Also - if you can get a video of you swimming - it would be helpful.  

I sure wish fellow Manatee's lived closer...would love to go to the pool and help out in person.    

Chad

I'm pretty sure you're right on this, as I have never "worked" on anything with my swimming. I also know I drop my hips...I can feel it and have to tell myself "Butt up!" which then takes my thinking away from my stroke. Ugh.

So my homework is to watch your videos and implement some drills. And basically you're saying that I should spend as much time as I need on #1-2 til I "get it", right?

Yes, I'll be trying to get DH to video when he's back at the gym soon after two sick weeks out.

Thanks for help! And I'll let you know how it goes.

2013-02-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4605659

User image

Master
4agoodlife - 2013-02-02 10:52 AM

Yay!  Glad he is feeling better

2013-02-02 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4604792

User image

Veteran
Dayton
rrrunner - 2013-02-01 3:41 PM
KansasMom - 2013-02-01 1:01 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 1:41 PM
ugh.now I have to get in the pool and actually start riding my bike for realz.

Awesome!!

X2

X3

2013-02-02 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
There's a 5 mile race tomorrow at the local high school.  I was planning on doing a 5 mile training run, so I'm thinking about it.  The only catch is that it's supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow with a bit of wind.  But I figure it's in town and I can bundle up.  Would love to get outside after spending so much time on the treadmill!  Just need to find my running club membership card now...

2013-02-02 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thanks everyone for your best wishes with my race today and for the weather report Jayne. It was a balmy 86*F (30*C) at the start of our race, water temp of 77*F (25*C) so not yet at the 100*F that it has reached this afternoon, thankfully.

It went well, it was a mini sprint and I really did it to keep myself motivated to train (not that that worked last week) and to work on a few things in a race situation in the build up to doing an Oly in April.

So the race was a 250m swim, a 10km ride and a 2km run (it feels very insignificant when you look at it like that but we've all got to start somewhere I guess). I had 4 goals for the race:

1. swim the entire distance with my face in the water (except for breathing of course).
  2. wear my bike shoes for the ride (first time in a race).
  3. do the full km run withut walking.
  4. finish in 45minutes or less.

I managed the first 3 but according to my watch my time would have been about 48 minutes which is a bit of a bummer but I can live with that.

Some things that I learnt:

1. dont start the swim at the middle of the back of the pack, there are too many people to swim around or over. start in the middle out wide.
  2. buy a number belt so I dont have to try to put a shirt on while Im wet.
  3. get down on the drops more when riding. I need to prctice this because my shoulders were getting sore.
  4. take 30 seconds to put socks on in T2 otherwise I end up with blisters on the insteps of my feet.
  5. Oh and most importantly get to the race a bit earlier to allow for the toilet line or be prepared to do the race with your butt cheeks clamped together

All up good race and I felt good all the way through, I think I could have run faster if I had worn socks because the blisters on my feet were really sore by the time I had finished. Should have listened to the nothing new on race day advice but just looked at my watch when I was in T2 and thought if I put socks on I was not going t make my goal time.

I have 10 weeks today until the Oly that I am planning to do and after today's race I'm feeling no where near even close to being ready for it.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-02-02 11:20 PM
2013-02-02 11:16 PM
in reply to: #4606091

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

ponderingfox - 2013-02-03 12:27 PM There's a 5 mile race tomorrow at the local high school.  I was planning on doing a 5 mile training run, so I'm thinking about it.  The only catch is that it's supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow with a bit of wind.  But I figure it's in town and I can bundle up.  Would love to get outside after spending so much time on the treadmill!  Just need to find my running club membership card now...

Isn't the Manatee creed "just do eeeeeeeeeett!" Good luck I hope it isnt too cold.

2013-02-02 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4606109

User image

Master
StaceyK - 2013-02-02 9:12 PM

Thanks everyone for your best wishes with my race today and for the weather report Jayne. It was a balmy 86*F (30*C) at the start of our race, water temp of 77*F (25*C) so not yet at the 100*F that it has reached this afternoon, thankfully.

It went well, it was a mini sprint and I really did it to keep myself motivated to train (not that that worked last week) and to work on a few things in a race situation in the build up to doing an Oly in April.

So the race was a 250m swim, a 10km ride and a 2km run (it feels very insignificant when you look at it like that but we've all got to start somewhere I guess). I had 4 goals for the race:

1. swim the entire distance with my face in the water (except for breathing of course).

I managed the first 3 but according to my watch my time would have been about 48 minutes which is a bit of a bummer but I can live with that.

1. dont start the swim at the middle of the back of the pack, there are too many people to swim around or over. start in the middle out wide.
  3. get down on the drops more when riding. I need to prctice this because my shoulders were getting sore.
  4. take 30 seconds to put socks on in T2 otherwise I end up with blisters on the insteps of my feet.
  5. Oh and most importantly get to the race a bit earlier to allow for the toilet line or be prepared to do the race with your butt cheeks clamped together

All up good race and I felt good all the way through, I think I could have run faster if I had worn socks because the blisters on my feet were really sore by the time I had finished. Should have listened to the nothing new on race day advice but just looked at my watch when I was in T2 and thought if I put socks on I was not going t make my goal time.

I have 10 weeks today until the Oly that I am planning to do and after today's race I'm feeling no where near even close to being ready for it.

You may not feel "ready", but look how much you learned! #5 is a priceless lesson. Haha
2013-02-03 1:58 AM

User image

Master

Awesome job, Stacey!  Completing the first 3 on your list makes #4 waaaay less significant in my opinion!  Especially number 1.  I think you are well on your way to your Oly.  10 weeks is a lot of time, just keep it up, you will do great.

2013-02-03 2:00 AM
in reply to: #4606091

User image

Master

ponderingfox - 2013-02-02 8:27 PM There's a 5 mile race tomorrow at the local high school.  I was planning on doing a 5 mile training run, so I'm thinking about it.  The only catch is that it's supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow with a bit of wind.  But I figure it's in town and I can bundle up.  Would love to get outside after spending so much time on the treadmill!  Just need to find my running club membership card now...

Yep, assuming it isn't going to derail your training for something else by racing a training run, dooooo eeeeeeeet!  You'll warm up quickly!

2013-02-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4606115

User image

Veteran
Dayton
4agoodlife - 2013-02-03 12:32 AM

You may not feel "ready", but look how much you learned! #5 is a priceless lesson. Haha

X2 lol

Oh, and proud of you for accomplishing #1!

Edited by ponderingfox 2013-02-03 8:30 AM
2013-02-03 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4606139

User image

Veteran
Dayton
bcraht - 2013-02-03 3:00 AM

ponderingfox - 2013-02-02 8:27 PM There's a 5 mile race tomorrow at the local high school.  I was planning on doing a 5 mile training run, so I'm thinking about it.  The only catch is that it's supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow with a bit of wind.  But I figure it's in town and I can bundle up.  Would love to get outside after spending so much time on the treadmill!  Just need to find my running club membership card now...

Yep, assuming it isn't going to derail your training for something else by racing a training run, dooooo eeeeeeeet!  You'll warm up quickly!

I'm fairly good at finding my training pace and sticking to it (see my Jan 1 5k I led a pace group for).  I do recognize the temptation will be there to go faster.  I'll save that for the last mile and try to bust it out then.

2013-02-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4606254

User image

Melon Presser
ponderingfox - 2013-02-03 10:29 PM

I'm fairly good at finding my training pace and sticking to it (see my Jan 1 5k I led a pace group for).  I do recognize the temptation will be there to go faster.  I'll save that for the last mile and try to bust it out then.

Your training plan calls for a 4-mile warmup for a 1-mile time trial?

2013-02-03 9:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Did someone ask about AEROBARS?

The short answer is: shorties. If you're putting bars on a road bike and you don't want to compromise its handling and possibly safety, but you do want an alternate position to ride in, shorty bars that don't extend past the handlebars. Generally the ones with fold-down elbow pads are a PITA, just something to keep in mind if you get the kind that connect in the front.

Here's a good read from THE MAN regarding bike fitting (click on the first article, "Choose Your Bike"):

http://www.elitebicycles.com/tech_tut_fit.php

2013-02-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4606273

User image

Veteran
Dayton
TriAya - 2013-02-03 10:00 AM
ponderingfox - 2013-02-03 10:29 PM

Your training plan calls for a 4-mile warmup for a 1-mile time trial?

Yeah, have you heard of it?

2013-02-03 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4606313

User image

Veteran
Dayton
TriAya - 2013-02-03 10:58 AM

Did someone ask about AEROBARS?

The short answer is: shorties. If you're putting bars on a road bike and you don't want to compromise its handling and possibly safety, but you do want an alternate position to ride in, shorty bars that don't extend past the handlebars. Generally the ones with fold-down elbow pads are a PITA, just something to keep in mind if you get the kind that connect in the front.

Here's a good read from THE MAN regarding bike fitting (click on the first article, "Choose Your Bike"):

http://www.elitebicycles.com/tech_tut_fit.php

Yeah, thanks.

2013-02-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4606254

User image

Seattle
ponderingfox - 2013-02-03 8:29 AM

There is certainly nothing wrong with giving a solid race effort to find out where your fitness stands every now and again.
2013-02-03 11:55 AM

User image

Seattle
StaceyK - 2013-02-02 11:12 PM

Great job! It sounds like you learned a lot and that's the most important thing! Performance. Feedback. Revision.
2013-02-03 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
StaceyK - 2013-02-03 12:12 AM

Awesome, all around. You learned a couple of valuable lessons, and that can't be beat.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106