Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by popsracer

Read some interesting stuff tonight that got me thinking about my next insertion of quality work. Repeats.  Contrary to what I would have thought, JD seems to recommend this type of quality work in earlier phases of training.  As I understand it, learning good form by running shorter faster repeats should be done before more taxing Interval and Threshold work, assuming one has adequate base built to progress there.  So what would a typical R workout look like in terms of warmup, main set, and cool down?

"R Pace. Repetition (R) velocity is faster than I pace, at the very least, but, unlike I and T, is not based on V02max. Rather, R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training; it is more designed for good mechanics at a pretty firm pace."

While my short term goals are for a marathon I am tailoring my quality work at faster paces, more on the lines of 5k.  I do race quite a few 5k's through the year but since I never have trained at this pace, my form does feel a little wobbly at those paces.  I can see where getting more comfortable mechanically at these paces would be of benefit. 

My coach had me doing R Pace workouts before ever touching I pace and before getting heavily into T pace.

A typical R pace workout for me was something like

WU: 2 miles easy
6-8x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery between
Cooldown for 1-2 miles easy

WU: 2 miles easy
3x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery
1x400 at R pace with 60 seconds recovery
3x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery
Cooldown for 1-2 miles easy

I quickly went through my logs for the last year and every R pace workout was pretty much one of those or a close variation.  The first one was the most common and all I did for the first while and once I had done it a bunch then the second one was used here and there.

Perfect.  Thanks

2013-09-17 11:29 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Read some interesting stuff tonight that got me thinking about my next insertion of quality work. Repeats.  Contrary to what I would have thought, JD seems to recommend this type of quality work in earlier phases of training.  As I understand it, learning good form by running shorter faster repeats should be done before more taxing Interval and Threshold work, assuming one has adequate base built to progress there.  So what would a typical R workout look like in terms of warmup, main set, and cool down?

"R Pace. Repetition (R) velocity is faster than I pace, at the very least, but, unlike I and T, is not based on V02max. Rather, R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training; it is more designed for good mechanics at a pretty firm pace."

While my short term goals are for a marathon I am tailoring my quality work at faster paces, more on the lines of 5k.  I do race quite a few 5k's through the year but since I never have trained at this pace, my form does feel a little wobbly at those paces.  I can see where getting more comfortable mechanically at these paces would be of benefit. 

Do you mean that you plan on doing more R and I work? Or what exactly do you mean by tailoring your quality work to 5K?

2013-09-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, I am soooo far behind! I did read all the posts though Wink. I kindled the book last night and will start reading tonight.

Hi, I'm TJ. I'm 46 and was a runner in HS. Then marriage and kids happened and running didn't. About 6 years ago I started running more (I'd done some off n on) and dropped about 40 lbs. There was really no method to my running, just put on my shoes and go. I've done lots of 5k and 10k's. I've done 2 HM, one stand alone last November and one at the end of my 70.3.

I still don't have much (any) structure to my running, just go out with a time or distance in mind. I'm looking forward to the book and getting some efficiency from my training and, hopefully, watching my times go down.

I have a HM in October but I don't know that this reading/training will help me in time for that.

2013-09-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by rrrunner

Wow, I am soooo far behind! I did read all the posts though Wink. I kindled the book last night and will start reading tonight.

Hi, I'm TJ. I'm 46 and was a runner in HS. Then marriage and kids happened and running didn't. About 6 years ago I started running more (I'd done some off n on) and dropped about 40 lbs. There was really no method to my running, just put on my shoes and go. I've done lots of 5k and 10k's. I've done 2 HM, one stand alone last November and one at the end of my 70.3.

I still don't have much (any) structure to my running, just go out with a time or distance in mind. I'm looking forward to the book and getting some efficiency from my training and, hopefully, watching my times go down.

I have a HM in October but I don't know that this reading/training will help me in time for that.

Welcome TJ!

2013-09-17 12:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Do you mean that you plan on doing more R and I work? Or what exactly do you mean by tailoring your quality work to 5K?

As I understand it, VDOT is used for establishing I pace but R stuff can be faster or slower than VDOT depending on the distance you are training for.  "R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training".  Even though I am training for a marathon I still want any deviation from VDOT to err on the side of 5k race pace.  JD says that you if are training for a marathon, he might have R pace be slower than someone training for a shorter race.  Marathon pace is just too slow for me not because of mechanics but lack of endurance.  So for the purpose of this workout I have to go faster.

2013-09-17 12:19 PM

User image

Seattle

As I understand it, VDOT is used for establishing I pace but R stuff can be faster or slower than VDOT depending on the distance you are training for.  "R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training".  Even though I am training for a marathon I still want any deviation from VDOT to err on the side of 5k race pace.  JD says that you if are training for a marathon, he might have R pace be slower than someone training for a shorter race.  Marathon pace is just too slow for me not because of mechanics but lack of endurance.  So for the purpose of this workout I have to go faster.

I see. Interesting!

BTW, which marathon are you running? I can't remember if I asked you.

2013-09-17 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Leavenworth Oktoberfest.  I did the half last year and it was sooo much fun.  First time I ever stopped at an aid station for a beer.  The beer halls afterward were epic.  I ended up wearing a chicken hat.

(Oktoberfest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Oktoberfest.jpg (23KB - 22 downloads)
2013-09-17 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by rrrunner

Welcome TJ!

Thanks! Nothin like showing up late to the party Embarassed

I couldn't respond to your inspire. (?) HM training is going well. I'm getting the distance up on my long run by increasing faster than I normally would but so far so good. I'm starting to pick up speed on my shorter runs which REALLY feels good. I played it safe for a couple more weeks post doc release but now I'm doing a little bit (~1-2 miles) at an increased pace on my shorter runs.

2013-09-17 12:59 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer Leavenworth Oktoberfest.  I did the half last year and it was sooo much fun.  First time I ever stopped at an aid station for a beer.  The beer halls afterward were epic.  I ended up wearing a chicken hat.

That is amazing. You should probably wear that in all of your marathons.

My friend constantly raves about that race. I heard it's just gorgeous. 

I'll have to do it one year. In lederhosen, of course! 

2013-09-17 12:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Seattle

Originally posted by wgraves7582 Late to the party again but I just picked the book up at the Library and am waiting for B&N to ship me my copy home. I had it before and browsed through it but it is much more science than a mind like mine needs - just run slow and every once in a while run hard and if you want to run long miles build up and plan on being wiped out on days you run 15+ miles but still have enough energy to do a recovery spin on the bike afterwards. I have done a 6 hour ultra and ran 32.5 1 month before my "official" marathon, 1 marathon (4:00:15) and some other shorter races but really am too cheap to pay to run a 5k because I can step out my front door and run the best 5k course in Western New York for free every day of the week. That being said I have a buddy that drops 2:40 marathons with no effort at all and I would really like to keep up with him on his easy days and not be dead for the rest of the week so I will give this a shot. In short I would love to BQ but I don't know if I really want to train to BQ - I doubt that makes much sense but I am not a fool and realize the effort that it takes and to be honest with you I don't know if it is really that important to me - so I guess that means it isn't right? You fast people are my inspiration and my envy all at the same time

Honestly the run slow and every once in awhile run hard approach is not a bad one. SmileThat's simplified but not all that different than what JD is saying.

You can totally just read this book and do your best to understand it without feeling like you need to implement every single element into your daily training.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-17 1:05 PM

2013-09-17 1:06 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwedp>

Honestly the run slow and every once in awhile run hard approach is not a bad one. SmileThat's simplified but not all that different than what JD is saying.

You can totally just read this book and do your best to understand it without feeling like you need to implement every single element into your daily training.

I would totally agree with that comment.

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-17 1:07 PM
2013-09-18 9:54 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: wgraves7582

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by wgraves7582 Pg 15 (1st Edition) love this line: You must give considerable thought to every aspect of training, and you must know what everything you do is doing for you or to you.

Yeah, after starting the book I have this feeling that I should finish it and plan my workouts before I do any more running Surprised

2013-09-18 11:33 AM

Seattle

I'm thinking maybe we can break the book into part I, part II and part IV.

Let's leave the discussion open to talk about part I for another week and then we can start talking about part II around Wednesday the 25. Of course, if something comes up from the previous portion go ahead and post about it but we should be moving on as we only have a month.

If people want to talk about part III, go ahead, but I don't really think a lot of time should be spent there.

So, what are people's initial thoughts? Is there anything that you find difficult to understand? Is there anything that dramatically changed how you viewed running/ training? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-18 11:34 AM
2013-09-18 11:47 AM

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Let's leave the discussion open to talk about part I for another week and then we can start talking about part II around Wednesday the 25. Of course, if something comes up from the previous portion go ahead and post about it but we should be moving on as we only have a month.

If people want to talk about part III, go ahead, but I don't really think a lot of time should be spent there.

So, what are people's initial thoughts? Is there anything that you find difficult to understand? Is there anything that dramatically changed how you viewed running/ training? 

Yeah, like everything..

Seriously, a couple of big takeaways so far.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

It is more efficient and the risk of injury is actually less to do most of your miles at easy and THEN do proper quality work for focuses on speed, VO2max, economy, and strength.  I just did my first (R) workout and it was really eye opening.  Before reading this I would have missed the true purpose.  I had viewed it before as more of an engine thing whereas it is more of a neuromuscular adaptation thing.  It was easier than I thought it would be even with stupidly surpassing my VDOT paces.

Last takeaway was after doing a proper (I) workout I've learned they suck.  I usually reserve barfing for 5k finish line.  Actually didn't quite barf but was very close.

2013-09-18 12:13 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by popsracer.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

It is more efficient and the risk of injury is actually less to do most of your miles at easy and THEN do proper quality work for focuses on speed, VO2max, economy, and strength.  I just did my first (R) workout and it was really eye opening.  Before reading this I would have missed the true purpose.  I had viewed it before as more of an engine thing whereas it is more of a neuromuscular adaptation thing.  It was easier than I thought it would be even with stupidly surpassing my VDOT paces.

Last takeaway was after doing a proper (I) workout I've learned they suck.  I usually reserve barfing for 5k finish line.  Actually didn't quite barf but was very close.

reading this just makes me smile!!
2013-09-18 12:16 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Reading the foreward I am waiting to get to the point in the reading where I say "huh?", but I haven't hit it yet. I'll let you all know when I do. Laughing

2013-09-18 12:18 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by popsracer.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

reading this just makes me smile!!

Great, something to look forward to Surprised

2013-09-18 12:34 PM

Seattle

Perhaps I could ask a question. I tried in TT but didn't really get anywhere. In regard to altitude training, how far out from a key race should you train at altitude and what is the minimum amount of time you should spend?

JD definitely states that there are indeed benefits and that they tend to be permanent (as Elesa brought up, I was equally surprised.)

What he doesn't really elaborate on (or not that I saw) was the details of how to go about it.

2013-09-18 12:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I have been practicing a 'Daniel's' type philosophy for years, and although it doesn't stop me from making stupid mistakes in training, I've been far less injured since periodization and multipace training with a purpose.

Learning my body and what types of workouts I like and respond to has made run training for fun. I even (gag) enjoy my track workouts when I get to the speed sharpening block. What's a little nausea anyway?

Understanding whether you can handle one or two hard workouts was important for me also. During base training, with lots of easy miles and strides/reps, there is less risk. But after the base is down and the transition from reps to tempo, it is difficult to know how many workouts you can handle-especially true for triathletes.

Swim workouts are beginning to take the place of my 'recovery' run days as a nice two-fer. The laws of specificity are important though.

I hope that people take away the concepts of each of the different paces, because that is critically important.

2013-09-18 12:44 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Perhaps I could ask a question. I tried in TT but didn't really get anywhere. In regard to altitude training, how far out from a key race should you train at altitude and what is the minimum amount of time you should spend?

JD definitely states that there are indeed benefits and that they tend to be permanent (as Elesa brought up, I was equally surprised.)

What he doesn't really elaborate on (or not that I saw) was the details of how to go about it.

Unless you live in elevation (I can't remeber if it's considered 'elevation' until 5K feet?), it will be difficult to get a benefit. The effects of training or living at altitude take place over weeks.

There are several mechanisms, but they include: some changes in blood volume (via EPO, no really) and 2-3 DPG and other technical stuff which I can't remember. The longer you are there, the more your body will adjust to the low oxygen and changes occur so that when you return to normal elevation, those changes persist for several weeks.

It's like legal doping. And the effect is not permanent.

Why do you ask? Are you going to buy a home hypoxemic tent?

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-18 12:58 PM
2013-09-18 1:11 PM

Seattle
Originally posted by dtoce

Unless you live in elevation (I can't remeber if it's considered 'elevation' until 5K feet?), it will be difficult to get a benefit. The effects of training or living at altitude take place over weeks. There are several mechanisms, but they include: some changes in blood volume (via EPO, no really) and 2-3 DPG and other technical stuff which I can't remember. The longer you are there, the more your body will adjust to the low oxygen and changes occur so that when you return to normal elevation, those changes persist for several weeks. It's like legal doping. And the effect is not permanent. Why do you ask? Are you going to buy a home hypoxemic tent?

lol funny one of my teammates is actually considering doing that with her signing bonus. 

My parents live at about 8,000' and I was going to visit them for a few weeks. I (and they) are flexible so, if there was some benefit to doing so, I would coordinate my trip with my marathon. 

*And yeah, I suppose the effect is not permanent per se but JD mentioned athletes that used altitude training to obtain gains in fitness continued to improve upon those gains after resuming training at lower elevation.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-18 1:12 PM
2013-09-18 1:11 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I haven't read the section yet on training at altitude but her are my n=1 thoughts...

After growing up in Denver (5,200 ft) I spent 6 years living at lower elevations, first sea level for 6 months then about 5.5 years at 1,000 ft. When I moved back to altitude (again about 5,000 ft) it took me weeks to get accustomed to the elevation again.

So my thoughts are that there may have been some permanent change that made my adaptation back to altitude easier than, perhaps, someone who hadn't lived at altitude, but I definitely had to get used to it again. When I lived at sea level I could feel the loss of that benefit as my training runs became less "easy". 

That being said, it proabaly took me two or three weeks to get used to altitude again, and longer to be comfortable with it. As for change in blood and all that, no idea.

OTOH, I luf racing at sea level!

My .02, probably worth less than that.

2013-09-18 1:16 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by

I haven't read the section yet on training at altitude but her are my n=1 thoughts...

After growing up in Denver (5,200 ft) I spent 6 years living at lower elevations, first sea level for 6 months then about 5.5 years at 1,000 ft. When I moved back to altitude (again about 5,000 ft) it took me weeks to get accustomed to the elevation again.

So my thoughts are that there may have been some permanent change that made my adaptation back to altitude easier than, perhaps, someone who hadn't lived at altitude, but I definitely had to get used to it again. When I lived at sea level I could feel the loss of that benefit as my training runs became less "easy". 

That being said, it proabaly took me two or three weeks to get used to altitude again, and longer to be comfortable with it. As for change in blood and all that, no idea.

OTOH, I luf racing at sea level!

My .02, probably worth less than that.

the enzymatic changes are inducible and will occur more quickly the next time-ie when you are back at sea level for a while and then return to altitude, you'll 'accomodate' a bit quicker, but it's still mostly a reversible process

the permanancy happens from the changes in the muscles/heart by being able to do a higher level of training with the added blood volume

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-18 1:16 PM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1884 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1725 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.