BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2013-12-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-OPEN
Originally posted by el penguino

I love knitting! It's the thing that takes up my time aside from running/swimming right now. Are you on Ravelry? I'm trying to find a cool pattern for a traithlon hat.

Nancy, I've created a Ravelry account, but I'll admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all. All I can manage right now are scarves. Fortunately, I love scarves.

2013-12-24 2:40 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Hi Everyone,

Well, I am out of surgery and off to a roaring start of being a non-compliant patient! Sorry Jason, I am sure all doctors hate patients like me but come on, it’s Christmas Eve and there’s a lot to be done! I’ll be good starting tomorrow. Now, for the Bio/Background info I promised from my pre-surgical room yesterday.

Name: Chris / 43YORook

Story: Well, as the forum handle implies, I am 43 years old and about as big of a rookie as exists here. My first post on the forum was the one yesterday to join this group and I look forward to working through my inexperience with all of you and I appreciate any and all feedback. As I think I mentioned yesterday, I was a pretty competitive collegiate runner; All-American in cross country and sub 4 minute mile in track but that was all a long time ago. Work and life had conspired over 15-20 years to contribute to an overly sedentary professional and personal life, to the point that I woke up one day and realized I somehow weighed in at 220 pounds, nearly 80 pounds over my running weight in college!

A couple years ago my wife started running road races (she was a sprinter) and asked me to start running with her. Needless to say, my physical limitations contrasted with my mental picture of how I used to train and run. This led to my first injury, a lateral meniscal tear 2 years ago. Fast forward to this fall and I was doing some minimal training and had run a half marathon (“run” is a relative term here, but in the strictest sense of the term I was running) and experienced renewed knee pain. This time the orthopedic surgeon said it was more of an osteo-arthritis issue than a specific injury. MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus in addition to the arthritis which is what I had worked on yesterday.

As for what brought me here: I had promised myself many, many years ago that someday I would do an Iron Man. Well, this arthritis diagnosis and the fact that I’m now in my 40’s made me think I better see if this is even realistic at this point. So, I stumbled on BT about 3 weeks ago and have been reading voraciously, both here and infinite numbers of articles and information in other places. I have seen a lot of feedback that the training process for triathlons may be just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. So here I am, starting my journey with way more questions than answers, a bit of uncertainty, a lot of hope, and a commitment to achieve this goal and make traithloning a part of my life going forward.

Family: My wife and I live in West Michigan with our youngest son (7 years old). Our two older children (22 year old son and 19 year old daughter) are both on their own, for the most part, working full time and taking classes part time, trying to decide what to do with their lives.

Training: Training will begin slowly around the first of the year with some easy biking and my first forays into the pool. I am considering taking some swim lessons because I have never swam competitively at any level. I don’t even know I can do the breathing thing properly and I’m certain my technique is horrific. Definitely open to any recommendations on how to begin this swimming phase! I would say I will be shooting for 5-7 hours a week by the middle of January and 10-12 hours per week by mid to late spring.

Weight loss/gain: This is better than it was a year and half ago as I dropped about 40 pounds over the last six months. I am sure the rest will come off quickly once I get myself on a more organized training routine. I also know I need this to happen quickly before I start to increase running mileage much to avoid injuries.

2013 races: Did three or four 5K’s and two half marathons last year. One of the halves was in Vegas, that was a blast!

2014: Not real sure on this. I will actually be looking to the expertise of everyone here to help me figure this out. Obviously I want to complete my first triathlons. I had originally, in my mind, planned on a late summer early fall ½ iron distance, but I am not sure if that is even remotely realistic having never done it before and now coming off a minor arthroscopy that will certainly impact my return to run training.

Why I'll make a good mentee: I’m an empty canvas!! This is all new to me and I have everything to learn. I have literally never swum laps in a pool and have never completed a triathlon of any distance. I have a competitive background and the mental capacity to push my body to the absolute limits in competition. When I commit to something, I do it to a nearly obsessive level (much to my wife’s chagrin) and that mentality seems to fit in well in this sport and in this community.

***I have a ridiculous number of questions and concepts I am trying to warp my head around. If some of the questions are better posed in the main forum, outside of our group, please let me know. Thanks!!!!
2013-12-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: ndechant

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-OPEN
2013 totals:

Swim: Didn't track swimming too well, whatever the total it was woefully inadequate. Have a 910xt now so 2014 I'm counting every stroke.

Bike: 80h 32m 10s - 1281.89 Mi

Run: 149h 32m 39s - 981.2 Mi. Still a week left so I should hit 1000 no problem. Woohoo!

2013-12-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Master
It's Christmas on Guam, so Merry Christmas, my sporty friends!
2013-12-24 3:42 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by 43YORook

Hi Everyone,

Well, I am out of surgery and off to a roaring start of being a non-compliant patient! Sorry Jason, I am sure all doctors hate patients like me but come on, it’s Christmas Eve and there’s a lot to be done! I’ll be good starting tomorrow. Now, for the Bio/Background info I promised from my pre-surgical room yesterday.

Name: Chris / 43YORook

Story: Well, as the forum handle implies, I am 43 years old and about as big of a rookie as exists here. My first post on the forum was the one yesterday to join this group and I look forward to working through my inexperience with all of you and I appreciate any and all feedback. As I think I mentioned yesterday, I was a pretty competitive collegiate runner; All-American in cross country and sub 4 minute mile in track but that was all a long time ago. Work and life had conspired over 15-20 years to contribute to an overly sedentary professional and personal life, to the point that I woke up one day and realized I somehow weighed in at 220 pounds, nearly 80 pounds over my running weight in college!

A couple years ago my wife started running road races (she was a sprinter) and asked me to start running with her. Needless to say, my physical limitations contrasted with my mental picture of how I used to train and run. This led to my first injury, a lateral meniscal tear 2 years ago. Fast forward to this fall and I was doing some minimal training and had run a half marathon (“run” is a relative term here, but in the strictest sense of the term I was running) and experienced renewed knee pain. This time the orthopedic surgeon said it was more of an osteo-arthritis issue than a specific injury. MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus in addition to the arthritis which is what I had worked on yesterday.

As for what brought me here: I had promised myself many, many years ago that someday I would do an Iron Man. Well, this arthritis diagnosis and the fact that I’m now in my 40’s made me think I better see if this is even realistic at this point. So, I stumbled on BT about 3 weeks ago and have been reading voraciously, both here and infinite numbers of articles and information in other places. I have seen a lot of feedback that the training process for triathlons may be just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. So here I am, starting my journey with way more questions than answers, a bit of uncertainty, a lot of hope, and a commitment to achieve this goal and make traithloning a part of my life going forward.

Family: My wife and I live in West Michigan with our youngest son (7 years old). Our two older children (22 year old son and 19 year old daughter) are both on their own, for the most part, working full time and taking classes part time, trying to decide what to do with their lives.

Training: Training will begin slowly around the first of the year with some easy biking and my first forays into the pool. I am considering taking some swim lessons because I have never swam competitively at any level. I don’t even know I can do the breathing thing properly and I’m certain my technique is horrific. Definitely open to any recommendations on how to begin this swimming phase! I would say I will be shooting for 5-7 hours a week by the middle of January and 10-12 hours per week by mid to late spring.

Weight loss/gain: This is better than it was a year and half ago as I dropped about 40 pounds over the last six months. I am sure the rest will come off quickly once I get myself on a more organized training routine. I also know I need this to happen quickly before I start to increase running mileage much to avoid injuries.

2013 races: Did three or four 5K’s and two half marathons last year. One of the halves was in Vegas, that was a blast!

2014: Not real sure on this. I will actually be looking to the expertise of everyone here to help me figure this out. Obviously I want to complete my first triathlons. I had originally, in my mind, planned on a late summer early fall ½ iron distance, but I am not sure if that is even remotely realistic having never done it before and now coming off a minor arthroscopy that will certainly impact my return to run training.

Why I'll make a good mentee: I’m an empty canvas!! This is all new to me and I have everything to learn. I have literally never swum laps in a pool and have never completed a triathlon of any distance. I have a competitive background and the mental capacity to push my body to the absolute limits in competition. When I commit to something, I do it to a nearly obsessive level (much to my wife’s chagrin) and that mentality seems to fit in well in this sport and in this community.

***I have a ridiculous number of questions and concepts I am trying to warp my head around. If some of the questions are better posed in the main forum, outside of our group, please let me know. Thanks!!!!

I must say that was amazingly coherent for someone who (hopefully) is enjoying some post surgery pain meds!

Welcome - we look forward to filling your empty canvas!
2013-12-24 4:08 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chris.

I'm not going to be critical. Doctors are widely recognized to be the least compliant of all patients and I am no exception.

As far as your questions go, ask away. It makes the group more fun when we have questions to answer and advice to give.

2013, as of 12:30ish today:

Swim: 160h 04m 12s - 517069 Yd

Bike: 223h 06m 11s - 4822.29 Mi

Run: 162h 55m 21s - 1283.2 M

But admittedly I may have a slightly unhealthy obsession.....

2013-12-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Busy group today. My numbers for 2013 should end up being a bit over the following:

Swim       470,000 yards 

Bike         5000 miles

Run         1100 miles

I'll post the exact numbers when we finish with 2013 next week. Looks like an increase from 2012 of 115,000 yards swimming, 850-900 miles biking and 100 miles running.

Jason-I prefer passionate over obsessive......but I know I'm kidding myself...I'm obsessed. 

2013-12-24 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I keep seeing all these run miles at 1000+ for the year. For the record, I do not believe I have run 1000 miles in my life. I expect that to change but for now, very comfortable in saying it aint happened yet.

However, just to let you know I am not a slacker, I did spend six years swimming 30,000 - 35,000 yards a week! Too bad that was a long time ago.
2013-12-24 5:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

For the folks looking at a bike purchase I got some scoop from my LBS owner the other day regarding the Cervelo P2. He told me that Cervelo was discounting the 2013 P2 with 10 speed Ultegra components. It is not an advertised discount and Cervelo is leaving it up to the dealers as to whether to offer it to customers. The P2 is an excellent frame/bike so thought I would pass it along. I suspect alot of manufacturers are doing the same thing as they try to move the 10 speed stock as 11 speed becomes the standard. For me the difference between 10 or 11 speed doesn't matter. 

I spent alot of time in the Fall looking for a road bike. I'm not a big ebay user but if you are persistant there are some deals to be had out there. Of course if you go that route make sure the bike is the right fit for you. An inexpensive bike that fits right will be faster than a "superbike" that fits poorly. 

2013-12-24 7:34 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Stuartap I keep seeing all these run miles at 1000+ for the year. For the record, I do not believe I have run 1000 miles in my life. I expect that to change but for now, very comfortable in saying it aint happened yet. However, just to let you know I am not a slacker, I did spend six years swimming 30,000 - 35,000 yards a week! Too bad that was a long time ago.

That's just plain crazy! I am sure if you ever wanted to do it again, you could. I envy people that have that kind of yardage behind them.  Really.

2013-12-25 1:54 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
My 2013:

Swim: 19h 43m 35s - 48281 Yd
Bike: 144h 21m 52s - 2166.53 Mi
Run: 107h 21m 51s - 516.16 Mi

The run number is slightly low as I haven't logged most of my runs over the past 4-5 weeks.

2013-12-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Wow, there are some pretty impressive mileage numbers in there.

In terms of training, can anybody share some advice on how they have structured training for both HIM and Oly distances? My plan is to train roughly using the BT 20 wk guide on this site for the HIM and let the other events just kind of fall in. The June Oly starts literally 500m from my house so I have to do that, and the Aug. Oly is on Kelowna on Vacation.

I've got Oly June 14, HIM July 27, and Oly Aug. 16th.

What is the advice for scheduling events into a training schedule?

Nelson
2013-12-25 11:01 AM
in reply to: ndechant

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by ndechant Wow, there are some pretty impressive mileage numbers in there. In terms of training, can anybody share some advice on how they have structured training for both HIM and Oly distances? My plan is to train roughly using the BT 20 wk guide on this site for the HIM and let the other events just kind of fall in. The June Oly starts literally 500m from my house so I have to do that, and the Aug. Oly is on Kelowna on Vacation. I've got Oly June 14, HIM July 27, and Oly Aug. 16th. What is the advice for scheduling events into a training schedule? Nelson

Training for the HIM will have you ready for the olympic races as well as the HIM training should build a nice aerobic base. I suspect you will see a really nice result in the Aug. olympic race coming off the late July HIM. If it was me I would do a plan that has me peaking for the HIM. Maybe build an easy week into your HIM plan the week prior to your June Olympic race. By that point you should have a good base of fitness and be able to complete the olympic race with no problem. Then you will have about 5 weeks to put the final touches on the HIM training. I really wouldn't do anything specific to prepare for the early olympic if the HIM is your A race. Use the June olympic to iron out pacing, nutrition and identify any weaknesses. Then work to correct those prior to the HIM.

I raced alot this year and there were times when I would kind of train through a sprint race. Maybe an easy day or two before the race. The first step is to prioritze any races you are doing. Then set up your training so that all other racing/training is focused on allowing you to have the best A race possible. That is not to say that you don't push it in the B or C races. Race hard.....but, use those races to help you prepare for the A race.  Hope that makes sense.     

2013-12-25 11:06 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Merry Christmas everyone!

We had a nice morning and I was able to slip out for a run. Felt pretty good. Been fighting off a right calf problem....which seemed better. Now if I could just get rid of the weird left knee pain that's new. Will see if a little bourbon helps this afternoon. Used for medicinal purposes only Damn its tough getting old!

Enjoy your day!

2013-12-25 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by slornow

Merry Christmas everyone!

We had a nice morning and I was able to slip out for a run. Felt pretty good. Been fighting off a right calf problem....which seemed better. Now if I could just get rid of the weird left knee pain that's new. Will see if a little bourbon helps this afternoon. Used for medicinal purposes only Damn its tough getting old!

Enjoy your day!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

We celebrated with the family on Saturday so it is a quiet day for Paul and me.  We're at our other house in Northern WI where the temps are still below zero and we got another 6" of fresh new snow last night.  With roads barely plowed around these parts, I headed down to the TM (a very old one I might add) for a short speed session.  If it warms up at all, we';ll go for a snowmobile ride.  If not, we'll sit by the fire.  No bourbon for me, but maybe a little red wine!

2013-12-25 12:34 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Merry Christmas everyone-

Randy, I'm pretty jealous of you getting out for a run today as I sit here with my knee up and ice on it. I know the rest and recovery is important but man, I ready to get started on this whole thing! I think I'll be back on the bike by next weekend, at least for some short sessions, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I can even start short runs again and I need to do a better job of slowly building my run distance to avoid injury.

Santa was pretty good to me from a Triathlon standpoint with a Garmin 310xt and a copy of The Triathlete's Training Bible, which in normal fashion I am trying to entirely digest in a few hours. I'm taking this as a sign from the wife that I have full support in beginning a new obsession!!

So, since I'm laid up and reading about triathlon anyhow I thought this would be a good place for a first installment of "What the ^&#$ has Chris got himself into?" and question #1.

So, I said yesterday that I have no real race plans for this year yet except for the very specific “I need to do some triathlons”. My question is kind of multipart. First, is it remotely realistic to even consider doing a HIM by late summer, early fall or should I focus on shorter distances for this year and not add an HIM until the following spring? Further, based on my complete lack of swimming background, should I be not even thinking about race schedules yet until we even know if I float or sink? Finally, if it makes sense to begin planning a race schedule for 2014 and build my training around that, what are some thoughts about what that might look like?

I hope everyone is having a great holiday and appreciate everyone’s thoughts and feedback!

Chris

2013-12-25 12:41 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by 43YORook

All-American in cross country and sub 4 minute mile in track but that was all a long time ago.

I was just reading some of the bios and noticed this part. Sub 4 for the mile is pretty hallowed ground. That is really cool. I just finished reading, "Once A Runner" for about the sixth time so I am somewhat wowed by the pursit of the 4 minute mile

Where in Western Michigan? There are a lot of really exciting races on that side of the state. I know there are a couple people on BT who are quote active in the Tri community. Kevin Neuman (ironmanbythirty) posts in the Michigan forum pretty frequently and is a really good guy.

Got in a trainer ride and have a short run on tap before Christmas dinner at my parent's house later.

Last night we got in late and the dogs had eaten one of my daughters Christmas gifts. She wanted to cancel Christmas she was so upset. Fortunately a nights sleep seems to have restored order and all is happy in the Adams' household

Merry Christmas/happy holiday to everyone.
2013-12-25 12:56 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by ndechant Wow, there are some pretty impressive mileage numbers in there. In terms of training, can anybody share some advice on how they have structured training for both HIM and Oly distances? My plan is to train roughly using the BT 20 wk guide on this site for the HIM and let the other events just kind of fall in. The June Oly starts literally 500m from my house so I have to do that, and the Aug. Oly is on Kelowna on Vacation. I've got Oly June 14, HIM July 27, and Oly Aug. 16th. What is the advice for scheduling events into a training schedule? Nelson

Training for the HIM will have you ready for the olympic races as well as the HIM training should build a nice aerobic base. I suspect you will see a really nice result in the Aug. olympic race coming off the late July HIM. If it was me I would do a plan that has me peaking for the HIM. Maybe build an easy week into your HIM plan the week prior to your June Olympic race. By that point you should have a good base of fitness and be able to complete the olympic race with no problem. Then you will have about 5 weeks to put the final touches on the HIM training. I really wouldn't do anything specific to prepare for the early olympic if the HIM is your A race. Use the June olympic to iron out pacing, nutrition and identify any weaknesses. Then work to correct those prior to the HIM.

I raced alot this year and there were times when I would kind of train through a sprint race. Maybe an easy day or two before the race. The first step is to prioritze any races you are doing. Then set up your training so that all other racing/training is focused on allowing you to have the best A race possible. That is not to say that you don't push it in the B or C races. Race hard.....but, use those races to help you prepare for the A race.  Hope that makes sense.     

I couldn't have said it any better.

You have to determine what your A race is. I am assuming it is the HIM. Following a training plan for the HIM will have you well prepared for the Olympic races. If the plan is working well, just taking a couple easy days before and after the first Olympic should be enough to have a very good performance.

After the HIM I would take a couple very easy days and the repeat one of the training weeks from the middle of your 20 week plan. It doesn't need to be one of the final weeks because you won't need to repeat that final stretch volume. It also should not be one of the most intense weeks because you will still be recovering at the same time you are maintaining fitness. Then do the same /similar taper to the last three days of the HIM plan and you should finish up with a very nice Olympic result. Obviously things can always be adjusted if you are recovering slowly or conversely if you feel great after the HIM.

We would be happy to help more with fine-tuning as it gets closer.
2013-12-25 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I saw that some folks are posting annual totals, so I thought I'd throw my numbers up here:

Swim: 109h 53m 19s - 259,618.16 M
Bike: 218h 31m 05s - 3,010.21 Mi
Run: 205h 59m 14s - 1,331.9 Mi

I'm pretty happy with those numbers, but I don't really have much to compare them to. I got in a 5 mile run yesterday, but my sinuses are bothering me a little today...although that might have something to do with beer and shots last night I hope everyone is having a great Christmas day!
2013-12-25 1:11 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just finished some intervals on the trainer. Felt much better today. While I did that, my husband practiced my putting and scolded me when he would hear my 'easy interval' RPMs drop below 90. Off to walk the dogs, and then dinner prep begins.

My husband and I don't exchange gifts, so today has been pretty mellow. We've cleaned the kitchen, de-doghaired the bedroom, and I finally tackled the giant pile of socks that needed to find mates on the spare bed. How is it that you always have at least 10 socks with no match? Plus, where did all of my running socks go? I own no less than 7 pair, and I'm down to 2. Plus, one of my Swiftwick cycling socks has vanished. Geesh...

I've got my eye on a few new tri things this year. First is tri shoes for the bike, but the ones I want are the Bontrager Hilo tri shoes that NEVER EVER go on sale. I'd also like to get a Garmin 910XT, but I have the Garmin 410 which works perfectly fine for running and cycling. I've only had it for a year (bought it when I signed up for my first marathon). Perhaps if I bite the bullet and sign up for a full iron distance, I'll take that plunge.

I used a BT beginner half iron distance training plan from this site last year, but would be open to other suggestions if anyone has one they'd recommend. I'd love to hire a coach, but it's not in the budget at this time.
2013-12-25 1:59 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I was just reading some of the bios and noticed this part. Sub 4 for the mile is pretty hallowed ground. That is really cool. I just finished reading, "Once A Runner" for about the sixth time so I am somewhat wowed by the pursit of the 4 minute mile

Where in Western Michigan? There are a lot of really exciting races on that side of the state. I know there are a couple people on BT who are quote active in the Tri community. Kevin Neuman (ironmanbythirty) posts in the Michigan forum pretty frequently and is a really good guy.

Awesome book! I ran in high school for two years in Minnesota and my high school coach was a major Jim Ryun disciple. The concept of insanely grueling workouts was a daily reality!

To be fair, from a full disclosure standpoint, I shouldnt really claim true "sub four" status as I never actually ran a mile after high school except in practices. My 1500m PR adjusted is just under 4 minute status though and I did break 4 minutes in a 1600m race after college...I know, I know, still 9 meters to go so not official!

I live in Grand Rapids and will defintiely check out the Michigan sub-forum. Thanks for the heads up!

Chris

2013-12-25 2:22 PM

User image

Master

Randy graciously agreed to let me rejoin the mentor group for the winter. I'm a former group member from last year. I took a break from the group while recovering from knee surgery last year. This looks like a great group. I'm looking forward to getting to know the new people. Jason and Randy are great leaders as well as being smoking fast racers. 

I'll try to get a bio together in the new few days. 

2013-12-25 3:11 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Catwoman

Randy graciously agreed to let me rejoin the mentor group for the winter. I'm a former group member from last year. I took a break from the group while recovering from knee surgery last year. This looks like a great group. I'm looking forward to getting to know the new people. Jason and Randy are great leaders as well as being smoking fast racers. 

I'll try to get a bio together in the new few days. 

Rene welcome back. I hope the recovery is going well.
2013-12-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Randy and Jason. Thank you for advice. Makes sense, especially the part about the first Oly being a "tune up". The A race is the Calgary half ironman.
2013-12-25 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Name: Catwoman/Rene 

Catwoman is my favorite female super hero. 

Background: 50 year old female. I started off as a roadie and and slowly progressed from cyclist to runner to triathlete. Swimming is still my weakest sport and something that I struggle with daily. I started triathlons in 2007. In 2008 was chosen by lottery for Alcatraz and then did my first HIM that same year. In 2009 decided that is was time for a new challenge and did IMFL. In 2010 the plan was to go back to IMFL, but I broke my toe 9 days before the race and had to DNS. Since then I've done many HIM's and IMTX 11 and IMFL 12. Last year was supposed to be a HIM and speed focused year, but I tore my lateral meniscus early in the season. 2013 was a year of frustration, growth and discovery as it was spent recovering and whining. Jason and Randy have both been incredibly supportive and patient over the last year. 

Family: Married 28 years to a wonderful and supportive man who tolerates my triathlon addiction. Empty nesters with 2 kids - 20 and 22.  2 small active dogs that are more trouble than the kids ever were. 

2013 Races- Last year was the year of lost race fees and the HIM Aqua BIke focus. Oh, I also logged many an hour aqua jogging at the local pool. Completed the Pete Pfitzinger Aqua Jogging marathon program  2X http://www.kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm . Finally started running again in September? I'm still only running about 15 miles a week. 

2014 Races- First part of the year will be focused on running races and maybe a  few duathlons.  The plan is to qualify for AG Nationals early in the season. Texas 70.3 or NOLA 70.3 in April.  Local sprint and OLY races to continue to build speed for the first half of the year.  AG Nationals in August if not then Steelhead 70.3 before moving into training for IMAZ. I will take a significant amount of time off of my race times this year. 

Training: My signature line pretty much sums up how I feel about training. Jason, Randy and I have the same coach. 

Weight loss: Right now I could stand to lose some weight. I enjoy eating and drinking more than I should. 

Why I would be a good mentee? Well I've probably made almost every triathlon mistake that there is. I have a great sense of humor and am easily amused. I also have recent experience on injury recovery and dealing (or not) with the mental aspects of that. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone in the group. 

2013 Training Totals to date:

Swim:155h 09m 03s - 408755.75 Yd
Bike:183h 45m 10s - 3396.53 Mi
Run:51h 43m 10s - 319.96 Mi
Aqua Jogging:25h 17m (this is lower than it should be.. I got tired of logging AJ hours.
Physical Therapy:27h 00m
Stability/ART exercises:4h 55m
Stationary Biking:7h 37m
Trigger Point: 10h 20m

Edited by Catwoman 2013-12-25 4:25 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.