BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-01-04 4:30 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN
Thanks for the quick feedback guys... I'm amazed at how active this community is... love it.

I'm sure i'll have more questions as time goes on... thanks again!

Denny

2014-01-04 5:44 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick If the water is cold, you'll need a wetsuit.
Unless your name is tukutuku in which case swimsuits are for the weak.

2014-01-04 8:35 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Good luck in your race tomorrow Gary (PsyTri)
2014-01-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi Denny,

Somewhere in Calgary is Ray Fauteux. He's written a few books on Triathlons and I particularly liked, "500 Ironman Triathlon Questions and Answers". It is geared to a full distance race but lots of good info. I think his website is Ironstruck.com. You could also check out Gale Bernhardt's book on training for Multisport. (check out the Tri books at your library)

For swimming I like to have with me a pair of clear goggles for pool swimming and a pair of dark/smokey goggles for open water swimming (OWS). Make sure they fit well too. A bit of coaching would be helpful as well. In the Calgary area Auburn Bay (southeast) is hopefully a decent place for OWS-ing.

You should also have a couple decent pairs of sunglasses - not expensive ones.

In the day or two before a Sprint you should do nothing except gather your stuff together to get ready to go. At my first sprint I walked into transition with a small garbage bag of gear but as I looked around there were people carrying tons of gear in big hockey type duffle bags. Don't do that. (One fellow even brought in his bike trainer and set it up to ride for 20 minutes - to warm up I guess). Treat your first sprint as a learning experience - go fast but its more important to learn what to do.

At my first sprint I had a bottle of Gatorade and a honey stinger waffle. I think I drank half the Gatorade and saved the waffle for a future longer race. I did grab a water when I was on the run but I didn't really need it. But, I made up for it at the finish line eating anything I could get.

On BT you can read race reports for any races you're interested in to learn and to inspire you plus - You should definitely volunteer to help out at Ironman Calgary 70.3 on July 27th. You'll learn a lot, meet likeminded people AND... I'll be there!! You'll have a great time and feel supercharged.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-04 9:29 PM
2014-01-05 12:25 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the excellent information George... super helpful. I will look to sign up to volunteer as you suggested. Are you coming into Calgary just for the event? are you doing the event?

I'll check out the reference materials you suggested.

Thanks... Denny
2014-01-05 12:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Good luck in your race tomorrow Gary (PsyTri)

Thanks! The race was a blast. Local 5k. Part of a 4-race series throughout the year. I ran this race back in July and I run the course once a week with a running buddy. This one was very poorly attended, and there was a 5 miler at the same time, so the field of competitors was very limited. Took my 10 YO son for his first 5k. He's been "training" on his own for a couple months. Got there about 45 minutes before race time. Hung out, threw a football, chatted, kept him calm. He was a bit nervous. His plan was to run 5k in 30 minutes or less. Respectable goal for him. He has pushed it before in training runs with a slightly faster pace. Secretly, he wanted to win the whole thing! My plan was to just pace right behind him and be his support.

So, the race starts, and he blasts out of the start! Ran a 7:50 first mile! Then, the real learning experience started! Right after the mile marker, he had a cramp and was out of breath. The rest of the race was comprised of walking and barely catching his breath, then sprinting ahead. Kept leap frogging other racers. This little dude was just chugging along, and my son had his eye on him. There was also this little 7 year old girl just chugging along too. My son has his own idea of how to do things, which does not equal "slow is steady. steady is fast." It was his race, so I let him own it. It was actually humorous, watching him continually looking over his shoulder with a panic that this 7 year old girl was going to pass him. She was hot on his heels, but he fended her off!

We sprinted the last couple hundred yards, and he finished in 29:07.5. He was pleased with his time, and he was surprised that he finished second in the 10 and under age group! First place was the 9 year old little dude that did not even look to be breaking a sweat! Amazing. He got called up to his first "podium." He has not stopped talking about it, and he wants to do his next one as soon as possible! It was a lot of fun. They had pictures afterwards, and was made some great memories.

2014-01-05 1:16 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
That sounds like a fun and entertaining time Gary. Congrats to your son!
2014-01-05 1:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Trail run yesterday was nice. Not too much snow.

Edited by ransick 2014-01-05 1:25 PM

(photo (8).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (8).JPG (185KB - 3 downloads)
2014-01-05 1:20 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
6+ inches of snow here in the St. Louis area followed by below zero temps. Fun stuff. At least my flight got cancelled tomorrow :-).

(photo (7).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (7).JPG (102KB - 2 downloads)
2014-01-05 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Denny - I'm registered for the Calgary half and I'll be doing it if I don't get injured during training. So far I haven't found a lot of accommodation options near Auburn Bay where it all starts. I was hoping to find some kind of RV resort but the closest so far is 70km away. We also have friends in Cochrane but that is about an hour away as well.

We'll probably arrive the Tuesday before and then head home the Monday after the race.

According to the weather channel it looks like you've had a pretty nasty winter so far and pretty cold again today. We're a nice toasty warm 0C/32F and sunny.

Ransick - Love your pics and again you've got a lot more snow than we do here. How far south are you?

I ran again today. My third run of the month but I'm having trouble getting my stamina back and the time seems to pass amazingly slowly. I'll have to get outside for running soon.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-05 1:44 PM
2014-01-05 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Great pics, ransick!  I think we've talked about this before but what do you wear when running in the snow?  Particularly on your feet?  I might be moving back home to Chicago in a few months so I might need that information.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2014-01-05 2:47 PM

2014-01-05 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTriTook my 10 YO son for his first 5k. 
  That was a great story, bud.  Awesome that's he's excited about it.  I'm really hoping my kids get involved.  We've had both of them in swim classes since they were 6 months old, my son in particular is a natural in the water.  I take one of them on almost all of my runs with the jogging stroller, partly to get them out of the house but secretly because I hope it instills and interest in running or at least they get used to the idea of running being a normal thing.  Anyways, great story, you're a good dad

2014-01-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Great pics, ransick!  I think we've talked about this before but what do you wear when running in the snow?  Particularly on your feet?  I might be moving back home to Chicago in a few months so I might need that information.

The key is wool socks. They keep your feet warm even when wet. I usually buy the Smart Wool brand but whatever favorite running socks you use probably has wool versions too. I like wearing trail shoes in the snow too since they tend to have better traction.
2014-01-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

I had posted in the archived thread, hope this is right now (and there's space left)Hey! Is there space for one more?
NAME: Tay

STORY: I was never an athlete as a child/ young person but was reasonably active playing soccer, swimming and going to the gym on and off, until I got married and became completely lazy and put on a load of weight. After the kids were born I decided enough was enough and started getting active again, developed a love for running and completed 3 marathons, 2 half marathons, and plenty other running races. At the end of 2012 someone suggested tris and since I loved the idea of swimming again I spent last year training for and taking part in triathlons - done 3 sprints, 1 Only and 1 try-a-tri.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years, have a six year old girl and a four year old boy. I work full-time and travel quitea lot for work.

CURRENT TRAINING: lost my focus and mojo for a while, after the season ended, so I'm now just getting back to being consistent. I swim twice a week with my tri club (coached) and have recently joined a cycling club for their Sunday B runs - its slower than when I was out on my own, but having the company is making all the difference, plus they go much further (previously my longest ride was 30miles, a one off, with them I'm doing at least that every week). I run at least 4 times a week, but as I said I lost it for a while and allowed the distances to drop, just rebuilding to where I was this time last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'll be travelling for the whole month of July, so I'm not 100% sure yet what races I'll commit to after we come home, but I'm def doing a few running races before the tri season begins in May, a sprint in May and one in June, then the same Oly I done last year (flat course) at the beggining of September. I would LOVE to do my local Oly (hilly) at the end of Aug but not sure it's doable with all the time away. Then in dreamworld I would love to run a marathon at the end of October...

WEIGHTLOSS: I weighed just over 220lbs after my first child was born, lost around 20lbs between pregnancies and then went down to 147lbs a year after my second was born (when I ran my first marathon). I still wanted to lose another 10-15lbs but have put on almost 15lbs back on over the last year (since I cut back the running to fit the bike and swim). I have been struggling since Xmas to be focused about the food... The main target for this year is to lose the 15lbs plus.
2014-01-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by tatous

I had posted in the archived thread, hope this is right now (and there's space left)Hey! Is there space for one more?
NAME: Tay

STORY: I was never an athlete as a child/ young person but was reasonably active playing soccer, swimming and going to the gym on and off, until I got married and became completely lazy and put on a load of weight. After the kids were born I decided enough was enough and started getting active again, developed a love for running and completed 3 marathons, 2 half marathons, and plenty other running races. At the end of 2012 someone suggested tris and since I loved the idea of swimming again I spent last year training for and taking part in triathlons - done 3 sprints, 1 Only and 1 try-a-tri.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years, have a six year old girl and a four year old boy. I work full-time and travel quitea lot for work.

CURRENT TRAINING: lost my focus and mojo for a while, after the season ended, so I'm now just getting back to being consistent. I swim twice a week with my tri club (coached) and have recently joined a cycling club for their Sunday B runs - its slower than when I was out on my own, but having the company is making all the difference, plus they go much further (previously my longest ride was 30miles, a one off, with them I'm doing at least that every week). I run at least 4 times a week, but as I said I lost it for a while and allowed the distances to drop, just rebuilding to where I was this time last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'll be travelling for the whole month of July, so I'm not 100% sure yet what races I'll commit to after we come home, but I'm def doing a few running races before the tri season begins in May, a sprint in May and one in June, then the same Oly I done last year (flat course) at the beggining of September. I would LOVE to do my local Oly (hilly) at the end of Aug but not sure it's doable with all the time away. Then in dreamworld I would love to run a marathon at the end of October...

WEIGHTLOSS: I weighed just over 220lbs after my first child was born, lost around 20lbs between pregnancies and then went down to 147lbs a year after my second was born (when I ran my first marathon). I still wanted to lose another 10-15lbs but have put on almost 15lbs back on over the last year (since I cut back the running to fit the bike and swim). I have been struggling since Xmas to be focused about the food... The main target for this year is to lose the 15lbs plus.

Welcome Tay!
2014-01-05 8:56 PM

Welcome, Tay!
Gary, great race report, and most important your son had great experience. I bet he is still talking about it.
Mike, still keep thinking about your earlier post regarding 3:2:1 ratio between bike, run and swim. Last summer mine was more like 1:1:3, no wonder I struggled on bike, but swim is my favorite. Now with snow outside and sore shoulder, almost 100% is running.
At your suggestion I started logging workouts here at BT. It looks I won't be able to upload workouts from my Motorola watch, but to say truth I'm not using it now.
Snow storms tomorrow in Ohio, I'm bracing for a long commute. Probably should spend some time on bike trainer first thing in the morning.
Have a great week!
Jurga

2014-01-05 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Gary - It sounds like your son ran a great race. This is something he'll remember all his life. Our kids are all in their thirties and they remember the things like this that we did together and never the expensive "stuff".

Tay - Welcome to the group. If you're still struggling for motivation I find reading race reports here very inspirational. Just start asking questions.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-05 9:30 PM
2014-01-06 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

Thanks!
'At your suggestion I started logging workouts here at BT. It looks I won't be able to upload workouts from my Motorola watch, but to say truth I'm not using it now. '

I never really managed to work out uploading from my garmin but I find it quite easy to just put the distance and time of workouts.
2014-01-06 6:08 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

windsor, Ontario
Lol today is really going to test my dedication. Record low temps today and I have to take the bus to the gym after working midnights.
2014-01-06 3:35 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by GregDufour

Lol today is really going to test my dedication. Record low temps today and I have to take the bus to the gym after working midnights.

Nice job getting your workout in Greg! That's great dedication.
2014-01-06 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
May need spikes to run tomorrow AM -- rain all day today, temp dropping to single digits overnight. Brrrr!!!

2014-01-06 8:05 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Mike_D

May need spikes to run tomorrow AM -- rain all day today, temp dropping to single digits overnight. Brrrr!!!

A friend of mine screwed screws into the bottom of old running shoes for a recent snowy trail race and it worked really well. She posted this link for how to do it. http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Edited by ransick 2014-01-06 8:07 PM
2014-01-06 8:39 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Carlo,

Good luck at your marathon this weekend! Are you running marathons on back to back weekends?
2014-01-07 1:10 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks mike

To be honest i am just going for just finish. I will jog/walk the full marathon this weekend ave. 14:00/mi (6:30 cut off) if i can the following week ill do the half marathon (4:00 cut off) again ill just slow jog / walk this one . The second one i was not counting on its a lottey marathon i thought i would not get in. Mike if you have any suggestions how can i recover from the slow long 26.2 mi and survivevthe very slow 13.2 mi that would help me alot.
Therefore its like one long training IM run and the other is just taper.

I tried to make both of them HM , but the organizers of the first one would not allow it. The second one was originally a full mary thankfully was able to downgrade. I was even originally scheduled to do a Full IM end of April , but this two races is like a wrench thrown into my training plan machine, therefore i downgraded the Full this April to HalfIron.

Thanks in advance, and i know i will not ever do it again.

Cheers
2014-01-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Carlo,

Some things that will help recovery.

- Ice bath immediately after the race. These aren't fun. If you do it, wear a hat and a cutoff sweatshirt that won't dip into the water. 10 minutes will do.
- Compression calf sleeves or compression tights. I love compression tights for tired, sore legs.
- elevate your legs
- get a massage or two
- easy spin on the bike a couple times whenever you feel up to it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21562 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37891 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20302 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24942 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.