BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-05-19 7:38 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabesfaster's Summer Group-OPEN
Originally posted by axteraa

This morning I did my last workout with any sort of intensity before the HM next weekend.  5 x 1k @ T pace with 60s recovery.  It felt good and I was a little bit faster than the pace targets from my coach.  A nice little confidence boost before the race.

Arend-

Sounds like a great way to go into an easy week, pre-race to me. Nothing like a nice confidence builder to show the results of weeks/months of effort, now the racing is the fun part.

I was going to look at some of your older race reports/workout info to comment more but none of it made sense. There was some half marathon report but at a weird 21.1 distance and then your pace being 5:09 per... I thought, "man that guy is crazy fast". Apparently I'm gonna need a calculator handy when reading posts from people north of the border.

2014-05-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOW finally got time to go and read the 4 pages I've missed!!

Let's see - we have a couple of birthdays - so happy belated to 1, and 1 day early to another........

Jason - you are a madman

Seems a lot of our new members already know other members.....

Randy rocked it this weekend.....

and Jamie seemed disappointed in Rev.....

PHEW it's tough to keep it all straight.

So Randy, yeah if you could please get me a recap of names/usernames that would be helpful. I'll let you do it since you are "in charge" around here and Jason is off doing his Triple Hs or whatever JK.

ok so tomorrow is Tuesday. What's on Tap??

/MBC OUT
2014-05-19 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Happy Monday evening all just checking in. Got a nice bike ride in this afternoon boy it was nice outside then off to the pool for a 2000yd swim felt great it was the first time I swam the whole thing without stopping! Newbie question #1 Is it fine to bike then swim or should I try for Swim then Bike?

Edited by AkABuzz 2014-05-19 8:54 PM
2014-05-20 2:47 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by 43YORook

This morning I did my last workout with any sort of intensity before the HM next weekend.  5 x 1k @ T pace with 60s recovery.  It felt good and I was a little bit faster than the pace targets from my coach.  A nice little confidence boost before the race.

Arend- Sounds like a great way to go into an easy week, pre-race to me. Nothing like a nice confidence builder to show the results of weeks/months of effort, now the racing is the fun part. I was going to look at some of your older race reports/workout info to comment more but none of it made sense. There was some half marathon report but at a weird 21.1 distance and then your pace being 5:09 per... I thought, "man that guy is crazy fast". Apparently I'm gonna need a calculator handy when reading posts from people north of the border.

I'm here to help with your introduction to the wonderful world of metric.  As you've learned already, everything sounds like you have gone farther and faster! 

2014-05-20 4:56 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Got a short run in at 4:45 this morning. I'm not sure how often that'll be happening because my neighborhood at 4:45 a.m. spooks the living heck out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-05-20 6:41 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
slornow-Randy

wannabefaster-jason

uttriman-Brett

axterra-Arend

43yorook-Chris

woodrowcall-Jamie

phoenixm-Bryan

mtnbikerchick-Randee

golfprncs-Nancy

blanda-Blanda

skibummer-Gary

akabuzz-Steve

jond81-Jon

triguy1043-Jeremy

mrajki-Mike

jhmpsu93-Mike

goldensprocket-Kevin

triathlonpal-Nathan

catwoman-Rene

Ha. So there!

Did I miss anyone? Misspellings? Amend as needed.

2014-05-20 6:43 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ps. I just noticed the misspelling in our group name I don't think it can be changed so I have to live with it for the next three months.
2014-05-20 6:45 AM
in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by AkABuzz

Happy Monday evening all just checking in. Got a nice bike ride in this afternoon boy it was nice outside then off to the pool for a 2000yd swim felt great it was the first time I swam the whole thing without stopping! Newbie question #1 Is it fine to bike then swim or should I try for Swim then Bike?

Totally fine.

Obviously it would be nice to get in at least one or two swim-transition-bike sessions just to practice doing it.
2014-05-20 6:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by wannabefaster axterra-Arend

axteraa (one r two a's) for my username.  Contrary to what many think, my username has nothing to do with Xterra triathlon.    It's just my boring old username from work.

2014-05-20 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by AkABuzz

Totally fine.

Obviously it would be nice to get in at least one or two swim-transition-bike sessions just to practice doing it.

Yeah, I noticed it, but nobody wants to be friends with that pedantic English teacher who always points out typos, or reminds people to say whom, not who! We'll deal with it!
2014-05-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by AkABuzz Happy Monday evening all just checking in. Got a nice bike ride in this afternoon boy it was nice outside then off to the pool for a 2000yd swim felt great it was the first time I swam the whole thing without stopping! Newbie question #1 Is it fine to bike then swim or should I try for Swim then Bike?
Totally fine. Obviously it would be nice to get in at least one or two swim-transition-bike sessions just to practice doing it.
Yeah, I noticed it, but nobody wants to be friends with that pedantic English teacher who always points out typos, or reminds people to say whom, not who! We'll deal with it!

Actually, I don't think there is a time limit on editing posts in the Mentor forum so Randy could go back and edit the original post (same way he can set it to CLOSED).  Of course everytime someone replies to a post with the wrong title, that carries over.  If everyone edits it for a day or two it will probably stick.    I'll start!

2014-05-20 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Originally posted by UTTriman

Feeling a bit older today... B-days do that I guess. but I did celebrate with a nice 5k run this morning.   Not the negative split runs I had 3 times last week but I'm pleased generally.

Ride on Saturday for me was good as well, 16 miles 15.95 mph.   Almost a full MPH faster than last week, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Looks like everyone had a good weekend of racing and training.   That's always a good thing,

Arend:  Question of the sages -- is it Arena, Tyr, or Speedo as the best suit for swim training...   Crazy question, but in a crazy mood. 

If by best suit you mean the ones that last longer than a couple of months, the Speedo Endurance will last a long time.  My experience with them is the seams let go before the material.  The others may also have ones that last as well.  What you really want to get is something made of polyester (not lycra/spandex).  Chlorine eats lycra for breakfast and they will be see through in a few months if they get regular use.

Thanks, Arend!  Appreciate that. I've tried some of the endurance fabric suits myself, and haven't liked them as well for comfort/fit, but maybe that's just me.  Was also wondering if you had a preference on brand/style.  Most of the time I use TYR, seem to fit best for me, although I'm currently using Nike Jammers, and they're ok, but are stretching out pretty badly right now.   Guess it's time to get a new suit

2014-05-20 7:56 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-you may be able to edit your post. I'll see if I can do it but not sure I have the means to edit posts by others.

Edited by slornow 2014-05-20 7:56 AM
2014-05-20 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Feeling a bit older today... B-days do that I guess. but I did celebrate with a nice 5k run this morning.   Not the negative split runs I had 3 times last week but I'm pleased generally.

Ride on Saturday for me was good as well, 16 miles 15.95 mph.   Almost a full MPH faster than last week, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Looks like everyone had a good weekend of racing and training.   That's always a good thing,

Arend:  Question of the sages -- is it Arena, Tyr, or Speedo as the best suit for swim training...   Crazy question, but in a crazy mood. 

If by best suit you mean the ones that last longer than a couple of months, the Speedo Endurance will last a long time.  My experience with them is the seams let go before the material.  The others may also have ones that last as well.  What you really want to get is something made of polyester (not lycra/spandex).  Chlorine eats lycra for breakfast and they will be see through in a few months if they get regular use.

Thanks, Arend!  Appreciate that. I've tried some of the endurance fabric suits myself, and haven't liked them as well for comfort/fit, but maybe that's just me.  Was also wondering if you had a preference on brand/style.  Most of the time I use TYR, seem to fit best for me, although I'm currently using Nike Jammers, and they're ok, but are stretching out pretty badly right now.   Guess it's time to get a new suit

I've only ever tried the Speedo endurance one as that's all I can buy locally and I've never had any trouble with it.  I agree it's not the most comfortable suit that I've ever worn but it's not enough to make me go looking for another one.

Edited by axteraa 2014-05-20 7:58 AM
2014-05-20 8:23 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

slornow-Randy

wannabefaster-jason

uttriman-Brett

axterra-Arend

43yorook-Chris

woodrowcall-Jamie

phoenixm-Bryan

mtnbikerchick-Randee

golfprncs-Nancy

blanda-Blanda

skibummer-Gary

akabuzz-Steve

jond81-Jon

triguy1043-Jeremy

mrajki-Mike

jhmpsu93-Mike

goldensprocket-Kevin

triathlonpal-Nathan

catwoman-Rene

Ha. So there!

Did I miss anyone? Misspellings? Amend as needed.

I'm leaving a few on my list - hoping they pop in.....Mary, Stuart and Suzy!!
2014-05-20 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
45 min Trainer ride last night
10 Min WU
20 Mins at Threshold
5 min recovery
10 mins at IM pace.

I have not ridden in a week so I thought this would be a way to jump back into it!!

Tonight I have to Ref a lacrosse game usually get 3.5-4 miles of movement during that then after the kiddies head to bead I will get in a 4 mile Headlamp run!!

2014-05-20 8:27 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-OPEN
slornow-Randy

wannabefaster-jason

uttriman-Brett

axteraa-Arend

43yorook-Chris

woodrowcall-Jamie

phoenixm-Bryan

mtnbikerchick-Randee

golfprncs-Nancy

blanda-Blanda

skibummer-Gary

akabuzz-Steve

jond81-Jon

triguy1043-Jeremy

mrajki-Mike

jhmpsu93-Mike

goldensprocket-Kevin

triathlonpal-Nathan

catwoman-Rene

paulperger-Paul

Paul, sorry I missed you on the first try--must subconsciously be that Ohio thing Randy was talking about

Arend, my apologies. I fixed it.

2014-05-20 8:29 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I'm leaving a few on my list - hoping they pop in.....Mary, Stuart and Suzy!!

I agree. Any chance we can get you guys to join us again?

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-05-20 8:33 AM
2014-05-20 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Eeeegads!  I've been deep underground since the surgery and almost missed my opportunity to rejoin the greatest group in BT!  If it wasn't for Jason checking in, I'd still be in the dark  Please take me back!

2014-05-20 8:47 AM

User image

Man, this is going to be a fun 3 months or so. Written english has never been my strong suit and most of the time my spelling is horrible. Going to really have to up my game or Jason is going to be real busy correcting my posts.
2014-05-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by SSMinnow

Eeeegads!  I've been deep underground since the surgery and almost missed my opportunity to rejoin the greatest group in BT!  If it wasn't for Jason checking in, I'd still be in the dark  Please take me back!

Suzy-was hoping you would check in. Hope you are speeding your way toward a successful recovery Great to have you back.

2014-05-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Just a few thoughts on the group moving forward.

1. If you haven't posted a bio please do so. Suck it up Renee.....cut and paste is your friend

2. Add the other members of the group to your "friends" list. That way we can check in on you and see what you are doing with your training or send you an inspire. Along those lines it is helpful if you post your training in the BT training logs. Then if you have a question about a training issue we can see what you have been doing to try to provide an informed answer.  Again, not required and I know some folks track their training through other programs.

3. Be civil-this has never been an issue in any group we have had. Understand that people may have different opinions. Along those lines we try to avoid things like politics, religion and other hot button issues like college football....Roll Tide! Just kidding about college football although in Alabama it carries more weight than politics or religion. There are forums to relate your opinions and beliefs about the hot button issues so head there if you are looking to engage in those types of discussions.

4. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are some really smart folks in the group that can probably help you. 

5. Jason and I try to let the group dictate the topic. Occasionally we may raise a topic for discussion or input but really we are here more as members of the group. We try to stay involved and that is the benefit of having co-mentors as there are times when life gets in the way and we may not be able to check in a s often as we would like.

Looks like we have a really active, engaged group. Should be a fun Summer!   

2014-05-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
slornow-Randy

wannabefaster-jason

uttriman-Brett

axteraa-Arend

43yorook-Chris

woodrowcall-Jamie

phoenixm-Bryan

mtnbikerchick-Randee

golfprncs-Nancy

blanda-Blanda

skibummer-Gary

akabuzz-Steve

jond81-Jon

triguy1043-Jeremy

mrajki-Mike

jhmpsu93-Mike

goldensprocket-Kevin

triathlonpal-Nathan

catwoman-Rene

paulperger-Paul

ssminnow-Suzy
2014-05-20 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Like Arend, I did my last run effort with any major intensity this morning, about 1.6 miles @ T pace.  That pace is starting to become much more comfortable, even though I've dropped a couple of Daniels' VDOTs this spring. 

Speaking of tapering, I'd like to ask you all for some advice on it.  I know there's a certain variance based on your ability, training, etc., but how much taper do you think I would need for an OLY?  My logs are up to date and open to anyone.  The last five weeks have two volume weeks, a recovery week with a running race, then two intensity weeks.  With two weeks left, I'm pretty much following my normal routine this week, but dropping a couple of workouts and lowering volume maybe 20%.  Next week I'll take two full days off (Monday/Thursday), have a couple of short intense sessions on Tues/Wed, then just the regular "day before" stuff on Friday.

2014-05-20 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by AkABuzz Happy Monday evening all just checking in. Got a nice bike ride in this afternoon boy it was nice outside then off to the pool for a 2000yd swim felt great it was the first time I swam the whole thing without stopping! Newbie question #1 Is it fine to bike then swim or should I try for Swim then Bike?
Totally fine. Obviously it would be nice to get in at least one or two swim-transition-bike sessions just to practice doing it.

I think it depends on what you are prioritizing for the day...sometimes I'll cook myself pretty good on the bike or running and then do a recovery swim in the afternoon (or right after).  Sometimes I get beat around in Masters in the morning and then bike in the afternoon.

Just for the record, I haven't found any routine that makes swimming any easier.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 20279 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.